• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I don't understand how they haven't got the hint yet that the single player campaign is where it's at with D-2016.

Push push push for the MP before release. Ages after release and there has been no interest whatsoever in any of that crap and everyone is howling for more SP goodness - push push push for the MP.

Dudes - DUDES - please wake the hell up!!!

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 23 July 2017 - 01:13 AM

User is offline   Cage 

Some of the gothic theme textures from Supplice in context :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

More here:
https://twitter.com/...813632452268036
https://twitter.com/...814647092146177

This post has been edited by Cage: 23 July 2017 - 03:16 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostTea Monster, on 23 July 2017 - 01:12 AM, said:

I don't understand how they haven't got the hint yet that the single player campaign is where it's at with D-2016.

Push push push for the MP before release. Ages after release and there has been no interest whatsoever in any of that crap and everyone is howling for more SP goodness - push push push for the MP.

Dudes - DUDES - please wake the hell up!!!

Don't know if they still want to do more SP DLCs...hope they will do...

The MP in DooM 2016 just sucks, unfix-able sucks...just like I can't fix my tiredness about all checkpoint-based games which is the only reason I stooped play DooM 2016/Bombshell...I just want save whatever I want......

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

They haven't done anything single player, let alone more. I was hoping that after the success of the SP, that we'd get an announcement at least of something else. Maybe they are going to go straight to a 'Doom II' style 'sequel'? I don't know.

I didn't really object to the MP in NewDoom. It was just so staggeringly ordinary. I felt like I'd played this before, better, elsewhere. Just very, very 'mehhh'. No attention-holding ability at all.

Cage - Damn, that is sweet. I love the second shot. The red, wood and black stone goes very well together. How are you getting the light flare under the ceiling lamps?

View PostTea Monster, on 23 July 2017 - 04:20 AM, said:

I didn't really object to the MP in NewDoom. It was just so staggeringly ordinary. I felt like I'd played this before, better, elsewhere. Just very, very 'mehhh'. No attention-holding ability at all.

I should say more clearly when I made my last post...I feel the MP just so CoD-like...and make me want to play the original game's MP instead...so it just sucks for me...

---

But come to think of it, even they do make more SP campaign DLCs...I maybe still can't play it...... :\

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 23 July 2017 - 04:57 AM

Classes, only 2 portable weapons, total absence of free deathmatch at beginning, slow movement, unbalanced weapons, legalized wallhack powerup, the demon stone transform anyone into an unstoppable tank, a general stink of Halo...

They just putted almost every possible trending shit that does not encourage the real fun, the competent player skill or the challenging competion.

Cage, will those textures be used in SP campaign as well? Mechadon only mentioned the use in DM maps. Przepiękne :thumbsup:

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostPlayer Lin, on 23 July 2017 - 04:01 AM, said:

The MP in DooM 2016 just sucks, unfix-able sucks...

It does suck, but I think it could be salvageable if this were done: https://bethesda.net...sic-dm-playlist

User is offline   Cage 

View PostCryptKiller, on 23 July 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

Cage, will those textures be used in SP campaign as well? Mechadon only mentioned the use in DM maps. Przepiękne :thumbsup:

Of course! The DM maps are meant to form a proper MP component of Supplice,, but they also help us a great deal with experimenting/tweaking with the textures in context and help us with the visuals of the SP maps where the themes have a bit more specific direction.

Ciesze się, że się podoba!

User is offline   Toxic34 

I've been looking more at what the original Doom 4 concept was, including the little bits of footage that was found and is on YouTube. I think it was actually interesting and had potential, but I agree with the sentiment that it didn't provide what a Doom game should have. Choosing to scrap the work done and start from scratch was quite necessary.

That said, I think there is a place for a game like this. How about take this work, rebuild it, and release it under a different title, still by id, and have it all set in between the classic Doom and Doom II? Have all this focus on the Earth-bound resistance and whatnot, and then the ending sequence is the Doom Marine teleporting to Earth after defeating the Spider Mastermind in the original game and ready to do his part?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

If it were to be reworked into a new game I think it should just be removed from the Doom franchise altogether and make it a new IP.

Or maybe call it Prey 2.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 July 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Or maybe call it Prey 2.

If it still just like Arkane Studios' reboot then...

Please, NO.

:thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 28 July 2017 - 08:09 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Actually it'd probably be more fitting if they just rebranded again and made another new Prey 1 with it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 28 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

User is offline   Cage 

I've uploaded a short clip of testing out the dual wielding on the assault rifles and new bullet puffs/impact fx in Supplice (A Doom TC) to Twitter, check it out:
Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Mick Gordon's fascinating presentation about the Doom 2016 soundtrack at GDC 2017:

The guy's a genius, no question about that.

• The Sarien Encounter

Vent incoming.

Fantastic talk. I've been in a composing lull for years now. I gave up composing altogether not long ago to try and reset and refocus my brain to come back to it fresh but I hadn't figured out how. But he hit the nail right on the head. He reminded me that my love of music and recording was based around experimenting and always trying something new, not doing the same old thing all the time which is what it turned into. I spent a lot of time accumulating gear and software and now I've gotten all the basics and can do whatever I want. That has trapped me into a formula that has...simply bored me. For a while I was wondering if I was just over my music phase or something. I have completely forgotten that the formula is not what I loved about music in the first place. At the same time, it's hard to experiment and try new things when you're so limited. I really wish I had more hardware now and less software and plugins. All that stuff lends itself well to formulas, but not to experimentation. Well, it can I suppose. But it has its limitations. I've always been terrified of failure too. Which is why I haven't finished any of my personal projects in the past 10+ years. I've been trying to live up to others' standards instead of "educating" them in my own.

"Change the process, change the outcome." Brilliant. I'll remember that this time. Thanks for sharing this because I otherwise wouldn't have known about it.

User is offline   Cage 

We've just implemented the Rocket Launcher in Supplice :) (Doom TC)
Posted Image
Check out the clip on Twitter - if you want to help us out, please RT to spread the word:
https://twitter.com/...634541804158978

HQ clip here: https://my.mixtape.moe/xrhjev.mp4

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Rockets seem to behave like grenades in the video?

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMrFlibble, on 10 September 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

Rockets seem to behave like grenades in the video?

Nah, they're just laser guided, like HL1/HL2 Rockets, or Nexuiz / Xonotic rockets.

You may remember my translation of the final parts of the review videos by the YT doomer Davi Doom were it rants the best and the worst map of each classic DOOM official release.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__239830
Recently it has covered the missing ones, TNT: Evilution and Plutonia Experiment.

TNT: Evilution

Top 5 Worst Maps

5 - Map 09 Stronghold

Despite the level design it's pretty in this map I can't help but think back to the absurd beginning where you cannot in any way avoid to take damages. In addition, but how much enemies are inside the map? How many chaingunners above all? Seriously there are too many enemies with hitscan and the level design of the map does not allow you to avoid the shots easily.

4 - Map 20 Central Processing

I make you a question, especially at who play at DOOM from much time: how much would you expect it to have on average a DOOM map? 10 minutes? Maximum 20?

Well, if you arrived here, forget those timings because on the DOOM wiki it was estimated that on average an expert player takes 35-40 minutes unless you do a speedrun. You have understand well, 35-40 minutes. The worst damnation then it's the fact that if you forget to save you have to repeat all the map from the beginning.

Let's analyze now the level design: You start in a base that finish in a temple that finish on mountains which overlook a lake. EH?? No you are not dreaming, this map hasn't any sense.

3 - Map 21 Administration Center

A worse map of the number 20 exist and it is strictly connected because it's the next map to the map 20. So, now the level design has a little more of sense respect to the previous because it has a theme. But seriously what the hell want to comunicate me this map? Why there are sudden changes of textures and above all you remember the wall that is tagged like a door in reality? No? Here it reproposed.

*GAMEPLAY FLASHBACK*

Play at DOOM no one has ever think of doing this... (open a tagged-as-door wall) a wall with inside some shots, Ok... Look if-what will happen? I will remain crushed? No. The entire zone it's a door! You have understand well, it has the action of a door, look. Such a pity, really.

2 - Map 22 Habitat

I... I don't know how it is possible that such a map has finished into the compilation of Final Doom and maybe someone else more prettier has been discarded. The level design it's horrid you will understand absolutely nothing, in addition how much it's "funny" put narrow corridors whit inside enemies in row? It hasn't any sense and then I tell you it's not funny at all.

The first map is...

Come on that you know it.

COME ON THAT YOU KNOW IT.

1 - Map 27 Mount Pain

Do you have all that I said until now? Of the problems, of the corridors, of the maps that are badly tagged... Well, combine all to the square and put the bastardy of the level design to epic levels and you will obtain Mount Pain. Very open zones that don't allow you to avoid shots, enemies with hitscan, enemies hided behind the fake walls, absurd damages, life and armor in miserable quantity and a map that take 35 minutes! It's a damn Hell!

And if you want have fun at hear me get angry I recommend you to click on the link in decription, a video almost an year old it's true but really deserve for me.

Top 5 Best Maps

5 - Map 06 Open Season

A map with a very specific theme and that succeeds magnificently in its intent. It makes you explore with not easy difficulty but with a quantity of armor and life very good. A plaudit goes to the soundtrack of the level that transmit you distress and terror if you play with the headphones.

4 - Map 12 Crater

Imagine all that said before for the map 06 and elevate all to the square. Map builded divinely with an open zone very interesting and enemies placed in way to take you by surprise but that don't kill you immediatly. Once again the choice of the soundtrack of the level is applauses, immersive map like few on TNT.

3 - Map 31 Pharaoh

I adore this map despite the game-breaking bug and I even explain you why: Find yourself for the first time in DOOM in an egyptian pyramid and utilize the monsters like as they would be statues which animates it's a choice of level design that rarely you see in Evilution, but that frankly it rends you the idea of dangerous map however very beautiful to explore and admire. The soundtrack of the level then it's my favourite of Evilution, it transmits you calm despite it should do the opposite. It's the contour of mistery and discovery that rends this map simply excellent.

2 - Map 01 System Control

Every good initial map should take example from this. And talking clear, it was difficult replicate the effect of WAD-beginning of Ultimate Doom and DOOM 2, but system control succeeds perfectly in its intent of comunicate to the player that the difficulty is increased but if it manage well his own resources can pass every obstacle that it will be proposed from now on. An excellent introduction in my opinion that really deserve an applause for how it has been conceived.

1 - Map 32 Carribean

This win hands low on all the ones of TNT: Evilution. Level design fabulous mixed at a challenge of level medium-high and with an objective that it's simple to understand as much do it: Beat the Cyberdemon and exit from the level.

At times it could even don't seem a map of Evilution because I swear you that if you play this map, even from tne pistol start with the codes, you will have a world of fun to complete it. Choises of gameplay not boring but intuitive, keys that you find easily and hordes of enemies positioned in such a way as to annoy you, it is true, but if are provided of munitions for the right weapons it will be all end in very short times.

Plutonia Experiment

Top 5 Worst Maps

5 - Map 01 Congo

"Why the first map of Plutonia does not like you Davi?"

Well, reflect on it for a second: E1M1 of DOOM, the Map 02 of DOOM 2, the Map 01 of TNT... They are all very shorts, very direct in their level design, few ambush, simple and that ends in few time. Here instead the Map 01 of Plutonia in my opinion don't does his duty as introductive map of the game. It is too long, too dispersive and it is not much colored it prevales the brown on all the map making it ugly both to be seen or to play.

4 - Map 02 Caughtyard

Yes I know, the purpose of this map it's clear as the sun, survive. But it seems right to you that you must have the start of the map in a zone where you can't avoid of being hit? At the most high difficultes this map become a nightmare because the level design doesn't help you at all. Hordes of enemies are against you and the beautiful one is that you can't even kill them quickly because the are all placed above you making more difficult targeting and eliminate them. Very bad start and I don't dare imagine if you begin with just the pistol.

3 - Map 19 NME

The it's very beautiful to see and play but it has an enormous problem that in my opinion ditching all the fun the damned spawn behind of not one, not two, not three but at least ten enemies at once for not talking of the myriad of traps littered in the map that you can't know neither guess in advance if you haven't ever played before. Really a very bad choice.

2 - Map 15 The Twilight

This map I swear that comes out from TNT and that does not seem of Plutonia. All in the level design takes at hands low really despicable choises, hiding Archiviles behind some walls so they cannot being never killed by the player. In addition narrow corridors where its almost impossible dodge the shots and, listen-listen, enemies with hitscan everywhere in elevated zones. It is really ugly and frustrating to play.

1 - Map 20 The Death Domain

At the first place there is the map that is the sums of all frustrations of the previous maps. Imagine a start where you get targeted everywhere by the enemies, randomic spawns behind you, too much enemies with hitscan that you can't kill (unless you get very closer), and corridors, corridors, corridors that makes the map long and tedious. Here is the perfect recipe on how don't make a DOOM map, and I'm sorry Casali brothers, you have also fallen in it.

Top 5 Best Maps

5 - Map 32 Go 2 It

The map that is universally considered the most difficult of all the classic Dooms since it's very full of enemies, 206 for the precision, but it not ends here: 19 Archviles that can make resurrect the fallen enemies, 11 Pain Elementals that can spawn 20 or more Lost Souls in less than thirty seconds and 13 Cyberdemons. It is the perfect map for being killed with style.

Take yourself some breaks because if you have decided to confront it your experience will vary enormously by your skill, it could take half an hour to an entire hour. It finds at the 5° place because they don't provide you enough shots to kill all and it's really a pity if you think about it.

4 - Map 11 Haunted

Also known as "The Labyrinth Of The Archviles". You will always feel in danger in this map because the doors opens with triggers wich activates only when you pass them making it not only perilous because you can easily lost yourself, but also encounter more than one Archvile in a space so restricted that the flame attack will be almost impossible to dodge. Are needed reflex, a good knowing of the map and above all a very good sense of orientation to find the keys and exit from this nightmare of map. Good luck.

3 - Map 21 Slayer

The soundtrack, as well for the previous map, it wasn't never get utilized in DOOM if not for the few text walls. Now this map is an enormous reference to the map "Circle Of Death" of DOOM 2 with some addition to make it more harder but also more intriguing to face up. You will have to be quick and lethal, I don't have other advice to give you.

2 - Map 25 The Temple Of Darkness

The most atmospheric map. You will enter in this temple for see what it hides, but you can't help but notice that it is all dark and that unconsciously you will feel observed in every corner, making your exploration much more scary of what in reality it is. This map its excellent to break the action of the previous and give a difficulty not more based on how much enemies they can launch against you, but on how much you are cautious on exploring.

1 - Map 29 Odyssey Of Noises

An entire city to explore very beautiful to see and to play, accompanied by the music E1M1 of the first DOOM. This it's one of those maps that you play for the first time at Plutonia you will struggle to not put among your favourite: The almost perfect architecture, the sensation of to really exploring a city makes you feel part of something bigger than you, to the point you want to clean every single street, roof or edifice from every demon that you encount. It is true that you are alone, but imagine that this is your house and that those intruders has killed some innocent persons. You can't absolutely let them alive.

It is also a good occasion to post the fan midi pack that gives Plutonia it's own soundtrack instead of reutilize the musics from the first two games.

Plutonia MIDI Pack project
http://jimmy.the-pow...AD/plutmidi.zip

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostPlayer Lin, on 28 July 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

If it still just like Arkane Studios' reboot then...

Isn't it funny how if you take a look at Prey's or Dishonored's credits and almost no-one of those had worked on Arx Fatalis, but you see a ton of correlation between developers of Fallout 3, DOOM 2016, The Elder Scrolls Online and what have you.

Arkane is dead. Arkane died the moment Bethesda did their hostile takeover over them.

I'm just glad HumanHead got a chance to live, and I'm super excited about the new Rune.

User is offline   axl 

View PostFantinaikos, on 12 September 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

You may remember my translation of the final parts of the review videos by the YT doomer Davi Doom were it rants the best and the worst map of each classic DOOM official release.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__239830
Recently it has covered the missing ones, TNT: Evilution and Plutonia Experiment.

Thanks ! Interesting stuff. I like these map reviews of old FPS games.

I almost completely agree on his takes on the TNT maps... I absolutely hate Central Processing, Administration Center, habitat, ... TNT has some of the worst levels in Classic Doom. I do love Plutonia however :)

View PostDaedolon, on 12 September 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

Arkane is dead. Arkane died the moment Bethesda did their hostile takeover over them.

I'm just glad HumanHead got a chance to live, and I'm super excited about the new Rune.

I have no comment about Bethesda Softworks(I don't have any problem with Bethesda Game Studio, really, since Softworks may still fucked them too), as they keep fucked shit up, so whatever.

But, yeah I agreed HumanHead still alive and still kicking. :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 15 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Comparison between the PS4 port and the new upcoming Switch port of Doom. Not too bad, honestly.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 September 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

Comparison between the PS4 port and the new upcoming Switch port of Doom. Not too bad, honestly.

According to US Gamer, the Switch version of Doom is running on a custom engine, so, naturally, the graphics aren't one-to-one with the other console versions. The embargo for the press who went hands-on with the game this past week lifts on the 20th. I'm looking forward to hearing how it plays (no direct feed was allowed but off-screen was okay). It would be amazing if they can get it running at 60fps.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

User is offline   Sanek 

Just played Withering Graves for Doom 2, a new map by Quakis!
It's a very short map, but it have a good gameplay and design is great too! I also like the attention to lighting, which shows that a mapper had done maps for some other FPS's. :)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 16 September 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

According to US Gamer, the Switch version of Doom is running on a custom engine, so, naturally, the graphics aren't one-to-one with the other console versions. The embargo for the press who went hands-on with the game this past week lifts on the 20th. I'm looking forward to hearing how it plays (no direct feed was allowed but off-screen was okay). It would be amazing if they can get it running at 60fps.

It's running at 30 fps:

• The Sarien Encounter

That's not bad at all for me personally. It still feels smooth from the footage. Interesting comparisons he does in that video there. id Tech 6 is certainly impressive.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

User is offline   Ezepov 

After Duke Nukem 2.5 I started Low-Res DooM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options