Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Woof also has these blockmap-related options, even though they are off by default:
[0-1(0)] Enable walking under solid hanging bodies 
hangsolid                    0

[0-1(0)] Fix blockmap bug (improves hit detection) 
blockmapfix                  0

[0-1(0)] Fast blockmap-based line-of-sight calculation 
checksight12                 0

In the menu, it would be under Options --> Compatibility. (If you turn on the line-of-sight option, you may gain a performance boost of about 25%.)

DSDA-Doom can do it as well:
# Mapping error compatibility settings
comperr_passuse                 0
comperr_hangsolid               0
comperr_blockmap                0

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostNightFright, on 14 August 2024 - 03:49 AM, said:

DSDA-Doom can do it as well:
# Mapping error compatibility settings
comperr_passuse                 0
comperr_hangsolid               0
comperr_blockmap                0

That must be a more recent addition because I tried DSDA and the option was not there. I can confirm Woof at least though.

EDIT: re-reading that block of code, I don't actually know if that fixes the bug? The context has it in a map error compatibility section. So it sounds more to me like it's for re-generating a broken blockmap, rather than universally fixing the utterly fucked hitscan collision.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 14 August 2024 - 06:58 AM

• The Truth is in here

Well, I've just played a PWAD in Woof with the option activated. I was standing on a ledge with Imps underneath me and they didn't block me while trying to jump down, as they normally would. So at least from a gameplay perspective, it gets rid of the annoyance.

I'm not using DSDA that much, so I know only little about it, unfortunately. One would probably need to get in touch with Kraflab to learn more about the actual implementation of the feature. What I'm able to tell is that for example demos remain functional since any of the compat-related features are temporarily deactivated during playback or recording (in Woof at least, but should be the same in DSDA).

View PostNightFright, on 14 August 2024 - 07:15 AM, said:

Well, I've just played a PWAD in Woof with the option activated.

Like I said, I confirmed Woof. So that's another one I'm keeping an eye on.

View PostNightFright, on 14 August 2024 - 07:15 AM, said:

I was standing on a ledge with Imps underneath me and they didn't block me while trying to jump down, as they normally would. So at least from a gameplay perspective, it gets rid of the annoyance.

That's...not what the blockmap bug is.

• The Truth is in here

I see. It's rather about not hitting targets. Honestly, that never bothered me very much. But well, I'm sure there are options available for such cases, too.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

TL;DR version of blockmap bug, since NightFright seems to be confused about what it is

When a projectile is fired, collision detection is performed on monsters which are inside the same block that the projectile passes through. If the projectile never passes through the monster's block then there's no collision detection performed which means the projectile will just ignore the monster.

View PostPhredreeke, on 14 August 2024 - 12:25 PM, said:

TL;DR version of blockmap bug, since NightFright seems to be confused about what it is

When a projectile is fired, collision detection is performed on monsters which are inside the same block that the projectile passes through. If the projectile never passes through the monster's block then there's no collision detection performed which means the projectile will just ignore the monster.

It affects hitscan and that's where the problem is. That means it affects the majority of your arsenal, including the SSG and BFG. Projectile collision usually works well enough, as I believe the game factors in the hitboxes of both the target and the projectile. Hitscan doesn't, and only checks for the target's center point.

In practical terms (also for NF's benefit), the bigger the target, the worse it gets. Mancubi, arachnotrons, and the bosses get it the worst. The worst of it all though, is how it destroys the melee weapons. Chainsaw especially. You can be sawing a monster when all of a sudden, even though you are clearly still hitting it, it stops registering damage, and now your head's been bitten off. Landing hits with berserk fists is also unnecessarily difficult since you can never really trust where it will land. So if you're low on ammo (a scenario even more likely since up to half your shots can go through a monster and hit the wall behind them) or playing a map with ammo starvation, you are up shit creek.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 14 August 2024 - 04:55 PM

You're right, it's only hitscan that's affected, projectiles checks adjacent blocks for collisions as well. My mistake.

View PostPhredreeke, on 15 August 2024 - 02:27 AM, said:

You're right, it's only hitscan that's affected, projectiles checks adjacent blocks for collisions as well. My mistake.

It's Duke 3D that has the questionable projectile collision

User is offline   NNC 

About Coiled City. This one really should have been the best Doom map ever made. It's concept with the new monsters and the new weapons, also it's layout and atmosphere.... pure sensation. But even on HMP it's almost unplayable with all the trial and error and the simple fact that your own weapon has to be used in close encounters and it's splash can kill you easier than the monsters can. I mean a little rebalance should be helpful. Also the keycards are somewhat confusing, I saw no yellow key and blue keyslot.

User is offline   NNC 

I have to give some praise to the third map with those fancy textures. They look incredibly well done, the whole thing looks like a modernized techbase and remaking the entire E1 with these textures would be awesome. The layout is good too, easy to navigate trhough a typical "8" shaped path. The encounters are very hard though, too many revenants are shooting their homing missile at close places and archviles can resurrect too many foes. The final battle with the flamer asses with all the archvile and hitscanner help takes the cake.

Maybe HNTR is the best way to play this whole shebang at first for pure enjoyment, and for challenge the difficulty level can be raised for those who enjoy playing that way.

This post has been edited by NNC: 15 August 2024 - 11:36 PM

View PostNNC, on 15 August 2024 - 11:30 PM, said:

But even on HMP it's almost unplayable with all the trial and error

Oh.

User is offline   Lunick 

The Coiled City is real bad

Unrelated to all this, I literally just learned that mouldy did a level on UDINO. I did it, from pistol start, on UV (or what the wad calls, "Lust for Death," listed higher than UV), 100% including the secret exit. Would I call it easy? No. Still fairly tough. The opening battle is a doozy and the final fight is also tough (and when going for the secret exit you can't just escape it early). But, as usual with mouldy, all surprises were human-reactable, making just about everything that happens to you your own fault. Survival and ultimate success are determined almost entirely on your ability to make decisions in the heat of battle, and your ability to execute that decision.

Posted Image

I wish more mappers were like him, though.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 16 August 2024 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Lunick, on 16 August 2024 - 06:06 AM, said:

The Coiled City is real bad

Nah, it's just pure brilliance, we mortals just have to grow up to handle it. And it's lovely music (along with music in Map2) deserves accolades too. They are matching Sigil's E5M9 and E6M2 soundtracks.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostNightFright, on 09 August 2024 - 01:49 PM, said:

GZDoom currently still doesn't work well with the new episode, but looking at Github, it's currently being handled and should be fixed within the next couple of days.

God I hope so. I haven't been able to play the new episode on GZDoom since it released. I have played it on the new official port and on my switch but at this point I'm married to GZDoom.

View Postjkas789, on 19 August 2024 - 08:26 PM, said:

at this point I'm married to GZDoom.

Posted Image

Good that LOR reintroduced the Intermission Maps, they add immersion and progression sense. I already mentioned some abandoned attempt in a past post, but in the meantime we got two completed projects done by oliacym and DevilMyEyes that practically covers any previous official release plus some megawads.

Wouldn't be kinda a good idea a new/alt Smooth Doom version based on the ID Vault material missing frames at this point? In part it was made based on the assumption that such material was inexistent, when in reality it was just impossible to obtain (apart alpha/beta content diggers in all these years). Y'know between a fancontent and restoration of OG's...

View PostPhredreeke, on 20 August 2024 - 06:11 AM, said:

Posted Image

Was experimenting some more. Apparently something that improved performance on the newest LZDoom was shutting down Discord. Major boost from that. Only dropped frames on occasion.

That said, if anyone reading this has a still-active Doomworld or ZDoom forums account (they closed mine), could you tell drfrag that said LZDoom branch crashes upon grabbing an invuln? At least with fullscreen GLES software. Dunno about the other settings and not about to risk another white screen of death to find out.

I just saw this on Doomworld :lol:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: image.png

• The Truth is in here

Censorship by Bethesda. It's is habbedig.

And here we go.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostPhredreeke, on 04 September 2024 - 02:44 AM, said:

I just saw this on Doomworld :lol:

lmao that's funny

Share this topic:

• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options