Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

Strange that no one mentioned about this yet, considered all the great talk of the first one of ten years ago.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Download: https://drive.google...?usp=drive_link

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 18 April 2024 - 04:12 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I've started my playthrough(s) of Sigil 2. Very late but I was really counting on 1.1 being a thing that would exist sometime before the sun went supernova.

I can see why E6M1 is considered the hardest. Though, I think it's ultimately easier* than Hell Beneath

That giant asterisk suits the giant caveat that it being "easier" comes with. It's Industrial Zone on steroids. That is, Romero designed a very specific route through the level that if you deviate from at all, you just painted all over the level. And at least in IZ you can avoid that nonsense if you bring guns from earlier levels in. Here, you have no choice at all but to pistol start. And the progression is even more obscure.

He knew the 30s secret was bullshit to get to. but instead of moving it or something in the name of committing to the bit, he just made a secret switch hidden in the lava in an area that only opens up once you get to a specific secret, and also using that switch activates the crusher that will allow you to kill the cyberdemon.

Some reading might wonder "what crusher?" Yeah exactly.

In terms of execution alone, it's still easier than the narrow box of barons that is Hell Beneath. But getting to that point requires a master's degree in PC adventure game moon logic.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

In general, I probably wouldn't rate Sigil 2 as high as the (patched) first part, but it was still a rock-solid experience. Now curious to see which dickish situations Romero can create in Hellion with Doom 2's expanded enemy lineup. My "beloved" Revenants, Pain Elementals and Archviles...

I don't think we have a dedicated Freedoom topic so I'll just use this again.

I decided to try out the new update it just had. Was pleasantly surprised to see that they're closing the rift between the textures and level decorations with the monsters and apparent plot. It always bugged the hell out of me that we were supposedly dealing with aliens and genetically modified monsters yet the levels were still covered in Satanic imagery. The two things just really didn't mesh and it always took me out of the experience.

The latest update addresses a lot of that. Some of the monsters got a makeover to be more alien than hellish, the old textures with the pentagrams got reworked into a skull bearing the infinity motif, and some of the inverted crosses in the levels got removed. The levels also got modified, some remade entirely, and the game is now going heavy into psuedo-realism/doomcute which I'm also happy with. Unfortunately Double Impact is still there. In fact with this update it now feels even more out of place, because it was entirely abstract Doom level design, while the entire rest of the game is trying to sell specific locations.

Also the new double barrel kicks ass. I don't know what it is, but something about it makes it so unbelievably satisfying to fire. I know it isn't the sound effect as it's the same as the old version. I know there's no dehacked trickery with the gun animations. But just something about it works really damn well. I love it.

I did notice that some levels got cut & replaced. Which is fair enough, especially with their goal of vanilla compatibility over limit-removing. Still, a few of those cut levels were my favorites.

So through the power of MAPINFO, I decided to make a minimod that re-inserts the levels into the campaign(s). Even preserved the old music and par times.

Freedoom 1 link

Freedoom 2 link

Keep in mind that these are exclusively for z-family ports as I used that form of MAPINFO. I don't know how UMAPINFO works or what its limitations are compared to zmapinfo, but if anyone wants to try their hand at making a U-compatible version, go right ahead.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 01 May 2024 - 07:06 AM

* Boom features removed

What does it imply? The most basic Boom based mods does not work anymore, and you have to download a previous version to run them? It seems a downgrade to me. Unless ZDOOM, which FD's wads use, does re-add the features at least for the mods.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 01 May 2024 - 07:41 AM

View PostFantinaikos, on 01 May 2024 - 07:28 AM, said:

What does it imply? The most basic Boom based mods does not work anymore, and you have to download a previous version to run them? It seems a downgrade to me.

That's not it at all. In the same way you can run Doom wads in Boom format, you can run Freedoom wads in Boom format. Freedom doesn't change any of the original DOS code (outside of level names and par times). It's just textures, sprites and enemies.

The note about removing boom features is old, and strictly refers to the packed-in maps. Same for when they went from limit-removing to vanilla-compatible.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

This addon seems to have gone under the radar, I only got reminded of i when someone posted a meme on discord

https://web.archive....w-%F0%9F%92%9C/

User is offline   jkas789 

Phredreeke, on 03 May 2024 - 02:44 PM, said:

This addon seems to have gone under the radar, I only got reminded of i when someone posted a meme on discord

Huh, Know where I can procure this user addon? Just it being banned from Doomworld makes me curious to play it.

Fantinaikos, on 18 April 2024 - 04:11 PM, said:

Strange that no one mentioned about this yet, considered all the great talk of the first one of ten years ago.

I did not know this had released! Thanks for the heads up Fanta.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by jkas789: 03 May 2024 - 06:07 PM

I'm all for protecting the youth, but every time there's a thermonuclear overreaction it does nothing except bring harm to the cause by making us all look like hypersensitive psychos.

(In fact, the people who overreact are often predators themselves so I'm firmly convinced it's all an intentional psyop).

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 03 May 2024 - 09:40 PM

The link doesn't seem to be working at the moment, which has me all the more curious as to what's going on here.

jkas789, on 03 May 2024 - 06:01 PM, said:

Huh, Know where I can procure this user addon? Just it being banned from Doomworld makes me curious to play it.

It wasn't banned, the mapper was just told to remove the pictures of children from his doom sex dungeon. It's not like he was posting anti-lockdown propaganda.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Ninety-Six, on 01 May 2024 - 07:01 AM, said:

Also the new double barrel kicks ass. I don't know what it is, but something about it makes it so unbelievably satisfying to fire. I know it isn't the sound effect as it's the same as the old version. I know there's no dehacked trickery with the gun animations. But just something about it works really damn well. I love it.

Actually, it is my understanding that there is some DeHackEd change to the SSG animation:

Double-barreled shotgun flash timing bug fixed in built-in DeHackEd.

Although I'm not sure if it is what you were referring to.

Anyway, I've just stumbled upon this GZDoom mod/TC called KLOINKS!:

The visuals remind of Ken's Labyrinth somewhat.

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Ninety-Six, on 03 May 2024 - 09:39 PM, said:

I'm all for protecting the youth, but every time there's a thermonuclear overreaction it does nothing except bring harm to the cause by making us all look like hypersensitive psychos.

But you are all hypersensitive psychos. You have memorialized your sensitivity in your forum signature. You're all certifiably obsessed with another website/community, because you are hypersensitive to people having opinions different from yours. The grand irony here is that your sensitivity stems from the belief that they, and not you, are "hypersensitive to people having different opinions". But like you said - the people that overreact the most are the ones most guilty, right?

In what world is the response to the WAD an overreaction?

Phredreeke, on 04 May 2024 - 06:48 PM, said:

In what world is the response to the WAD an overreaction?

The same one where it was stated those things were added at the last minute and the modder just forgot what textures were in there.

Also the same one where the phrase "adult child" gets thrown around. I've unironically seen people say liking 21-year-olds makes you a pedo. Several times.

That world is the one where it's overreacting. Could have been a simple civil discussion, just "this is kind of weird what's going on here?" but that's not what happened. They immediately went for the pitchforks and banhammers.

Reaper_Man, on 04 May 2024 - 05:57 PM, said:

You're all certifiably obsessed with another website/community, because you are hypersensitive to people having opinions different from yours. The grand irony here is that your sensitivity stems from the belief that they, and not you, are "hypersensitive to people having different opinions".

Do you know where that quote comes from? It comes from the incident where Doomworld banned a Wolfenstein mod for having Nazis and dark subjects. And removed all references to them. Completely censored it, and so someone backed up the original.

I have kept it in my signature because Doomworld also banned someone for making a mod about stopping rioters. Rioters, not protesters. Mod even fucking explicitly called out the difference and it still got nuked.

They also banned someone for making a mod that commentated on the Covid situation and how the powers that be were abusing the fear to further their interests.

They also banned someone for a mod that had a crucified Lara Croft as an easter egg.

Have you noticed the common denominator yet? I wouldn't give a crap about Doomworld's opinion if it stayed in the realm of opinions. But it doesn't. They ban absolutely everything they find even remotely offensive or have different opinions over. That is why my signature is about telling Doomworld to go fuck itself. The mods are power-drunk dipshits that nuke mods and users for everything, including petty high-school squabbling. That's why the Doomer Boards Forums exist. Those are people whose opinions I disagree with but they aren't anywhere near as ban-happy as Doomworld, so I don't care.

Doomworld doesn't even let people debate something, especially if it goes against an admin's beliefs. They're all fucking hypocrites. Graf Zahl can throw tantrums every two months and never get even warned, but if someone disagrees with a mod about a topic, even civil discussion is banned. Look no further than the Lilith controversy.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 04 May 2024 - 07:38 PM

Ninety-Six, on 04 May 2024 - 07:16 PM, said:

Do you know where that quote comes from? It comes from the incident where Doomworld banned a Wolfenstein mod for having Nazis and dark subjects. And removed all references to them. Completely censored it, and so someone backed up the original.

I have kept it in my signature because Doomworld also banned someone for making a mod about stopping rioters. Rioters, not protesters. Mod even fucking explicitly called out the difference and it still got nuked.

They also banned someone for making a mod that commentated on the Covid situation and how the powers that be were abusing the fear to further their interests.

They also banned someone for a mod that had a crucified Lara Croft as an easter egg.

These are all overreactions. Questioning why there are pictures of children in a sex dungeon isn't. If anything I find the reaction way too lax

Phredreeke, on 05 May 2024 - 06:55 AM, said:

Questioning why there are pictures of children in a sex dungeon isn't.

Questioning is one thing. Going thermonuclear is not.

Phredreeke, on 05 May 2024 - 06:55 AM, said:

f anything I find the reaction way too lax

It's not. It's really not.

This is precisely what I was referring to. Every single time there's massive outrage over lines on paper, it makes all of us who are reasonably against pedophilia look like unhinged psychopaths. Especially here. Mistakes happen.

And here's a really hard pill to swallow. Grabbing the pitchforks over crap like this does not protect children. It does not do anything to help the cause. Zilch. Nada. Zero. No real children are being saved by freaking out over fake ones. All it does is, as I've said, make it worse. It gives real pedos ammunition to paint our side look batshit crazy. This is why I said it's a fucking psyop. So many of the people who do this shit are actual predators behind the scenes. It's social engineering at worst, and slacktivism at best. Can't do anything about real predators so let's just mob ones that maybe might be just so you can say you accomplished something.

It's witchhunting, plain and simple. I am far more fucking willing to buy accidents than malice because I've seen this same goddamn cycle repeat itself over and over and over again for the past decade. I saw a forum torn apart by this garbage. Flat-chested women are insulted daily because their mere existence "promotes pedophilia." Thirst for someone in their early 20s? Well you're just a pedo. Large age gap between two consenting adults? Pedophilia!

Why in the goddamn fuck should I assume this is any different? When it comes to this shit, it's always overreact. Never cooler heads in sight. Shit like this gets the exact same treatment as genuine predators like EDP.

It is literally the same shit as people who claim everything is rape and devalue the word and real victims, because these constant overreactions keep the line as blurry as possible. Again, this is why I'm convinced it's a psyop by actual predators because they know and are weaponizing that aspect.

Our side needs to learn how to pick our battles. Because this shit doesn't matter. And if we treat this the same as everything else, how in the fuck can we expect to be taken seriously?

Every time this happens, it makes it harder and harder to stop the next real predator. "Zero tolerance" policies have never worked and they will never work. Just makes it easier for the real threats to hide behind a smokescreen because we are giving them one for free.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 06 May 2024 - 01:48 PM

Don't make be fucking play devil's advocate for Not Jabba. We're not talking about Leonard DiCaprio trading in his girlfriend for a newer model whenever she turns 26. We're talking about a guy with a strange obsession with a ten year old. Granted we have a guy like that on here too but at least he never put Australian mermaid girl (I don't remember the name and I can't be assed to find it) in a map next to some sex toys...

Ok so I'm gonna give my two cents on the recent topic.

This is all directed to Phredreeke, Ninety-Six and Reaper_Man.

I'm of two minds here. On one hand I very much agree with 96 that the pedophile accusation schtick has been losing all it's meaning slowly across the years. Now a days flinging pedo accusations is done as easily as breathing and the significance of the word has been stretched so thin that I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years more the word looses all value like nazi has. When you start accusing flat women of being pedo coded you know you have gone to far me thinks.

On the other I can't agree with the NotJabba (fucking hell I'm defending NotJabba) and co overreacting opinion because I can't fucking play and see the wad. Which was the whole point of asking if any of you dummies knew where to get the wad for starters lol. The only thing we have as proof is a thread archive that has no incriminating evidence aside from a self portrait from the mapper, his explanation on why it exists (weird as it is) and a thread with the download link blocked and sanitized to kingdom come. The only thing we get is NotJabba, Dynamo and Bridgeburner getting very serious and the mapper bending the fucking knee. So if I didn't see the fucking wad I don't know if there was some pedo shit there or not. But it could have. And broken clocks are right two times a day. And so NotJabba and co could, perhaps, be actually right that the wad is pretty sus and should probably be axed. And as moderators of a ostensibly respectable forum, they are in their right to axe a wad if they believe the content goes too far.

Spoiler

However I don't trust fucking NotJabba's, Dynamo's and Bridgeburner's judgement. Because Doomworld shares moderators and users with zdoom and with the whole drama with Marisa and the Fun Police I don't trust this people to make actual good moral judgements on what is right or wrong.

Ultimately, this conversation we are having doesn't matter. The dust has already settled. I'm trying to get the wad out of morbid curiosity just to see what was really going on but unless we actually get the thing and play it and post screenshots of it here this is all at best academic.

As a side note:

Reaper_Man, on 04 May 2024 - 05:57 PM, said:

But you are all hypersensitive psychos. You have memorialized your sensitivity in your forum signature. You're all certifiably obsessed with another website/community, because you are hypersensitive to people having opinions different from yours. The grand irony here is that your sensitivity stems from the belief that they, and not you, are "hypersensitive to people having different opinions". But like you said - the people that overreact the most are the ones most guilty, right?

Stay classy Reaper.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 06 May 2024 - 04:22 PM

Here's something a bit more wholesome

Talking about new Doom releases. This is from twitter with love: Throne of the Crimson Queen.

Screenshots:

Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20240508_213849.png
Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20240508_213929.png
Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20240508_213950.png
Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20240508_214015.png
Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20240508_214136.png

There is also a cool video. I tried to upload it but I got no permission so here is the moddb video player link.

Fun fact! I actually managed to get the wad we where having such a nice and constructive discussion about.

Unfortunately it isn't the original, that was lost to time. Latest modification was made May this year and it has some spicy images of a cat girl I'm pretty sure is Senna Khan from RWBY. But at least we got the WAD.

Link to the damn thing.

I haven't been able to play this much because I have been pretty fucking busy in the hospital and what not. First impressions is that it is all right. Plz more people take a look at it and give your opinions on it.

Now in regards to the OP, I would not be surprised if the images that where sus where swapped for the cat girl nudie pics.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 16 May 2024 - 09:08 PM

The original image was a boy so young that Jabba mistook him for a girl

The original image was a boy so young that Jabba mistook him for a girl

Spoiler

But yeah I agree that there was something sus going on there. I guess Jabba and co may have been justified to axe the wad. I still have to open the wad on SLADE and see the contents meself.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 17 May 2024 - 08:08 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

The first trailer for Doom: The Dark Ages has been released at the Xbox Games Showcase:

Ashes 2063: Hard Reset (prequel to episode 2) now available: https://www.moddb.co...-2063/downloads
Posted Image

User is offline   MObreck 

I've been working on and off on a GZDoom TC for the last year and have finally completed a demo map. Here it is for anyone that wants to check it out:

Posted Image

DOWNLOAD LINK

This post has been edited by MObreck: 22 June 2024 - 11:35 AM

Looks pretty neat & gave me some Fate vibes for some reason!

User is offline   MObreck 

Here is a preview video, to showcase the mod in action:

This post has been edited by MObreck: 24 June 2024 - 01:33 PM

I did not immediately realise that it uses the Heretic HUD layout.

Share this topic:

• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options