• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping questions thread

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I recommend doing what I do now and having them recharge gradually up to 15% when not in use. Then you don't have to litter the map with goggles but its still nice to find a full pair.

ife player[].heat_on NO
ifl player[].heat_amount 180
ifand player[].player_par 4
{
	getp[].heat_amount temp
	add temp 1
	setp[].heat_amount temp
}

User is offline   Aleks 

Personally, I think giving the player a good reason to use NVG from time to time is a good idea, but making a whole dark map requiring NVG all the time/most of the time might be quite painful to the eyes in the longer run. I just hate stuff that's too dark in maps in general, in fact even a room that's completely lacking any lightsources shouldn't be "pitch black" as in the game you can't rely on other senses like touch or equilibrium to make up for it.

User is offline   Mark 

I have no idea how long the goggles last or how long it will take some players to navigate this underground sewer/cave area. Maybe it will only need 1 pair. I already have a Polymer flashlight in the project but I thought I would investigate the NVG as an alternative since I never tried it before. IDK if its a Polymer thing or a change in eduke32 but the green tint added with the NVG is much less than I remember. In the past it was very neon green looking. Now it just slightly tints the screen.

Thanks Dan. I will add that to the snippet I added to not only add the green shade but also change the visibility.

This post has been edited by Mark: 27 May 2021 - 03:19 PM

User is offline   Mark 

There is a countdown timer. The box in the hud that I am using to show the amount of money the player has jumps to 100 when the goggles are activated. It then counts down to 0 in about 40 seconds and the goggles turn off and the money amount displays once again. I'll have to figure out how to separate the 2
displays.

With only 40 seconds of use I will either have to place probably 2 more goggles or try Dan's partial replenish code.

This post has been edited by Mark: 27 May 2021 - 07:55 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark, on 27 May 2021 - 03:16 PM, said:

IDK if its a Polymer thing or a change in eduke32 but the green tint added with the NVG is much less than I remember. In the past it was very neon green looking. Now it just slightly tints the screen.

The brightness on affected sprites such as enemies is very strong, at least when using 8-bit sprites that respect palette changes. The world itself doesn't get much brighter unless you are using special code to make it do so. And if you are using HRP stuff, then all bets are off.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMark, on 27 May 2021 - 07:44 PM, said:

There is a countdown timer. The box in the hud that I am using to show the amount of money the player has jumps to 100 when the goggles are activated. It then counts down to 0 in about 40 seconds and the goggles turn off and the money amount displays once again. I'll have to figure out how to separate the 2
displays.

With only 40 seconds of use I will either have to place probably 2 more goggles or try Dan's partial replenish code.

You could also simply modify the HEAT_AMOUNT parameter in USER.CON, so the googles last longer :P Unless you want to make some kind of "checkpoint" race where players would have to collect googles on their way or go "blind".

User is offline   jimbob 

is it possible to make a two way train on a sloped sector? i want a thing to 'slide' downhill for one of my maps.

User is offline   ck3D 

View Postjimbob, on 09 June 2021 - 05:12 AM, said:

is it possible to make a two way train on a sloped sector? i want a thing to 'slide' downhill for one of my maps.

I've seen Aleks do stuff like that, there's one particularly wild instance of the effect with that one uphill trolley ride in his latest release, Submachine (you even go through a scaffolding and destroy it, it's very cinematic). Myself I never tried anything of the sort but I'm sure you could pick it apart, or he will chime in. I think sliding doors may work? I've used those before to simulate objects sliding around which actually ended up looking just fine (at least in my context) and I know you can slope the 'door' sectors themselves but right now I'm having a brain fart and not sure about the parent sector. Just a random thought, but depending on what your contraption is, perhaps remember that you can use floor rise and ceiling fall SE's within one same sector to simulate the sector 'sinking', again not sure how exactly those are compatible with moving sectors but it's a very handy and generally underused effect, you can literally make whole rooms and floors change elevations if you implement it right.

Also remember that recently, Mapster32 introduced sloped sprites which can be used to simulate hills without the sector itself needing to be actually sloped, although I'm not sure how that would look with moving sectors in practice (clipping?).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 09 June 2021 - 05:27 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postjimbob, on 09 June 2021 - 05:12 AM, said:

The trolley in my map was done with ST30 and rotated sectors, so the train would have to go over a circle section. However, there's a couple of ways this could be implemented:
  • Slide door like this, as done by Daedelon - the disadvantage here is rather slow speed (constant rate of movement that cannot be changed) and the fact that slide doors can't move sprites;
  • Could be also done with two-way train combined with SE31, two-way train has a fixed rate of movement and SE31 can be easily controlled with GPSPEED to match the ratio of horizontal and vertical movement with the slope inclination, this one gives you more control and also can move sprites, but you gotta remember the following: both SE30 (2-way train) and SE31 (floor rise) sprites have to be in the same sector tagged 31 (2 way train) - the main train sector, every sprite that is going to move have to be in this same sector or have this sector as its owner (sectnum) manually changed and most important one - the combination only works with masterswitch, activator won't do it - but this should be much easier now when you can set pal 23 on masterswitch for multiuse, but I'm not sure if multiuse is compatible with SE30.

Hope this helps :)

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostAleks, on 09 June 2021 - 05:51 AM, said:

The trolley in my map was done with ST30 and rotated sectors, so the train would have to go over a circle section. However, there's a couple of ways this could be implemented:
  • Slide door like this, as done by Daedelon - the disadvantage here is rather slow speed (constant rate of movement that cannot be changed) and the fact that slide doors can't move sprites;
  • Could be also done with two-way train combined with SE31, two-way train has a fixed rate of movement and SE31 can be easily controlled with GPSPEED to match the ratio of horizontal and vertical movement with the slope inclination, this one gives you more control and also can move sprites, but you gotta remember the following: both SE30 (2-way train) and SE31 (floor rise) sprites have to be in the same sector tagged 31 (2 way train) - the main train sector, every sprite that is going to move have to be in this same sector or have this sector as its owner (sectnum) manually changed and most important one - the combination only works with masterswitch, activator won't do it - but this should be much easier now when you can set pal 23 on masterswitch for multiuse, but I'm not sure if multiuse is compatible with SE30.

Hope this helps :)

i could live with a circular path, i want the player to slide downhill in a thing ( havent decided on the thing yet, could be a liferaft like indiana jones ) so circular might even look more dramatic than a straight line, its a one way ride anyway so i dont need to use a multiuse masterswitch ( never even knew this was a thing... over 25 years and i still learn new stuff :o )

This post has been edited by jimbob: 09 June 2021 - 07:47 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postjimbob, on 09 June 2021 - 07:45 AM, said:

i could live with a circular path, i want the player to slide downhill in a thing ( havent decided on the thing yet, could be a liferaft like indiana jones ) so circular might even look more dramatic than a straight line, its a one way ride anyway so i dont need to use a multiuse masterswitch ( never even knew this was a thing... over 25 years and i still learn new stuff :o )

That's because the multiuse masterswitches are just the most recent addition in newest EDuke32 snapshot :D Circular path was a bitch to make in Submachine, but you can take a look at it in Mapster and see. 2-way train with SE31 and masterswitch gives a lot more room for adjustments.

User is offline   jimbob 

do you have a downloadlink for submachine?nevermind, its in your sig :D , i'll try both ways and see wich one i like best. i kinda like the player going around corners so he cant see what's comming next.

This post has been edited by jimbob: 09 June 2021 - 08:04 AM

User is offline   jimbob 

quick question, i want a cracked wall to start a rotate rise bridge for a nice effect im working on, however the cracked wall sprite does not directly seem to trigger the RRB. not with an activator, nor a masterswitch. it works if i place a switch with the same tag number but i need it to be triggered by an explosion, not a touchplate or switch.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

cracks don't trigger activators or masterswitches, but they do trigger seenine & oozecannisters.

set up a remote sector with a reactor & seenine bottles. The seenine destroys the reactor - the reactor triggers a masterswitch

Obligatory pushing of targets:

You could substitute the reactor for TARGET or DUCK to avoid the potential quirks of the REACTOR sprite's behavoir. This also has the added bonus that you could technically trigger it more than once somehow, or from multiple different 'inputs'.
Remember to HITAG 1 these sprites so that they actually trigger their LOTAG when knocked over.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 15 July 2021 - 07:57 AM

User is offline   jimbob 

i think i'll use the duck or target method, the reactor hase some funky coding tied in i dont need, thanks :) my other option was to make it a swing door, but the player can block that if he gets in the way.

[edit]
works like a charm, though the target obviously needs to have its block and hitscan tags on. the effect looks really cool :)

This post has been edited by jimbob: 15 July 2021 - 02:28 PM

User is offline   quakis 

Two questions, mostly out of curiosity:

1) Is there a current method in Mapster to set a destructable sprite to not react to bullets/blast radius and not be destroyed? Or even tell one instance of an actor to ignore running its code? Not super important for my current use, but it can be useful for one off decorative purposes (I'd otherwise just modify its script/setup a new tile)

2) Does modifying the STATNUM for sprites in Mapster do anything of note?

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postquakis, on 16 July 2021 - 05:19 PM, said:

Two questions, mostly out of curiosity:

1) Is there a current method in Mapster to set a destructable sprite to not react to bullets/blast radius and not be destroyed? Or even tell one instance of an actor to ignore running its code? Not super important for my current use, but it can be useful for one off decorative purposes (I'd otherwise just modify its script/setup a new tile)

2) Does modifying the STATNUM for sprites in Mapster do anything of note?

1) Nope, the only one I know of is mirror with pal 4 that makes it indestructible (and it's super useful).
2) Just checked and don't think it does anything.

User is offline   jimbob 

there is no way to set the speed of a slide door is there? i made a really elaborate car that can be driven using the slide door technique but the speed is hilariously slow. i could work it into a joke though :P

also, i want the engine sound to play continuously but when using the slide door it only triggers once ( like opening a door :P ) but i want it to loop and follow the sectors.

third, is there a way to trigger blockable walls? i could use this so the player gets locked in the car when he uses it, and ends when he reaches his destination.

and last, could it be done using the tw way train technique? the car is pretty elaborate consisting of almost 30 sectors that dont all touch the outside sector

and finally, it doesnt transport sprites, so having a switch to operate the car gives obvious problems ( it stays behind ) while i dont need to re-trigger the car having a switch float in mid air kinda kills the effect. i could make a small wall with a switch texture i suppose, but hiding it would be hard.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0001.png
  • Attached Image: capt0002.png

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postjimbob, on 17 July 2021 - 07:37 AM, said:

there is no way to set the speed of a slide door is there? i made a really elaborate car that can be driven using the slide door technique but the speed is hilariously slow. i could work it into a joke though :P

also, i want the engine sound to play continuously but when using the slide door it only triggers once ( like opening a door :P ) but i want it to loop and follow the sectors.

third, is there a way to trigger blockable walls? i could use this so the player gets locked in the car when he uses it, and ends when he reaches his destination.

and last, could it be done using the tw way train technique? the car is pretty elaborate consisting of almost 30 sectors that dont all touch the outside sector

and finally, it doesnt transport sprites, so having a switch to operate the car gives obvious problems ( it stays behind ) while i dont need to re-trigger the car having a switch float in mid air kinda kills the effect. i could make a small wall with a switch texture i suppose, but hiding it would be hard.

Yeah, there's no need to set speed for slide doors. I think you would definitely do better with 2 way train (which goes way faster of course, but I suppose more resembles an actual car - and most importantly, it does transport sprites.

As for sound, you would need some hack for it - but considering it's a mod, you could just either make a car sound long enough for the whole driving time, or set repeat flag in user.con, so the sound would repeat indefinitely.

For blocking the player in, again your best bet would probably be to just spawn some custom sprites around the player - that have their cstat coded in con to be wall-aligned, blocked and invisible.

For 2 way train you gotta remember the same basics like you done with drawing here, so that the main sector (that has the train SE) touches every vertice that gets transported along with the car. You could check how I'd done that at the beginning of Mutant Mayhem in my Back in Business episode (shameless self promotion) :P

User is offline   ck3D 

For the sound thing I don't think you need hackwork, ActivatorLockeds in a sector will silence local ambient Music&SFX's which means a one-time touchplate should do the trick. If the 'unlocked' message is too annoying of an issue then maybe that sector should also trigger some display message that would take priority (maybe make it narrow and place an atomic health in its center? Now that's kinda hackwork, but in-Build).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 July 2021 - 12:00 PM

User is offline   jimbob 

i tried the two way train method too, works great and i use it to great effect in my map :) but my custom enemy disapears when he's on the two way train. it works if i put him in the non train space ( the sectors that are part of the train, but not the main train sector itself ) but then he gets left behind :(

[edit] nevermind, im an idiot. i probably copied a sprite with some high and lo-tags, and as such the difficulty was set to a rediculous amount like 3096 or something. he should spawn now.

and he did.

anyway, i tried back in business, great fun :) some neat effects in there aswell!

This post has been edited by jimbob: 19 July 2021 - 01:04 PM

User is offline   jimbob 

so how do i rotate sprites in mapster, i mean slope them.

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postjimbob, on 24 July 2021 - 10:41 AM, said:

so how do i rotate sprites in mapster, i mean slope them.

The same as you would slope a sector, so [ and ] keys - but it only works on floor-aligned sprites.

User is offline   jimbob 

i cant believe i never tried that :doh: is there a way to change the 'first wall' too so i can change the way the sprite slopes? or is it limited to just one oriƫntation?

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postjimbob, on 25 July 2021 - 03:08 AM, said:

i cant believe i never tried that :doh: is there a way to change the 'first wall' too so i can change the way the sprite slopes? or is it limited to just one oriƫntation?

Yeah it's unfortunately only limited to rotating the sprite around what would be the horizontal axis (also there's no "first wall", as both the top and bottom will change vertical positions, only the axis will stay in place).

User is offline   jimbob 

too bad, i ended up extracting, rotating and importing some sprites to be able to slope them the proper way. its a fun little thing i didnt even know was possible until recently :D

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postjimbob, on 25 July 2021 - 04:48 AM, said:

too bad, i ended up extracting, rotating and importing some sprites to be able to slope them the proper way. its a fun little thing i didnt even know was possible until recently :D

Yeah since you're using custom art anyway, this seems like a good idea. Also since you can't rotate the sprites like you can with textures now, having some sprites for trimming (e.g. horizontal and vertical bars) in both X and Y directions may come useful. BTW, another thing you might want to do with custom art is create some triangular sprites in case you'll need to "close" the sides of a sloped spritework (like wedges).

User is offline   jimbob 

i'll probably end up doing that :) thanks

User is offline   jimbob 

is there any way to scale floortextures more than the build standard of 2 scales. i'd like to use floor textures larger than 64 64. using the latest eduke and mapster.

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options