Duke4.net Forums: The Future of 3D Realms - Fan Feedback! - Duke4.net Forums

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Future of 3D Realms - Fan Feedback!

Fresch, I hope you like milking corpses because to me it seems that your cow was already dead before you got it.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 02 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I can't believe we went from "The Height of Gaming Excitement" to...Interceptor.

Hire back Joe Siegler or else no one will refill the coffee machine or take out the recycling. That guy is like, the John Romero of janitors.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 02 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLunick, on 02 March 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

-If possible (and have the rights to) host the rest of 3D Realms/Apogee back catalog on GOG.com/Steam. 3D Realms seems to have attempted to start doing so with games like Duke Nukem 1 + 2 and Hocus Pocus on GOG but then the releases suddenly stopped...

-If the above point is expanded upon and done, then I expect the games to supported somewhat and actually cared for. Blake Stone on Steam is STILL unpatched from the 1.0 version and the creator of ECWolf has expressed his desires of having it updated to at least 2.1 so his source port works properly with the game.

-No more DOS games to iOS devices. Duke Nukem 2 is an "okay" port but the multiple layers of emulation do nothing for the game. Port if you have source code.

-Any outstanding source code should be looked into/released/whatever. Alien Carnage I am aware of, one of the developers do have the source code for it but is apparently not that useful but SOMEONE might like it out there.

-Any outstanding older builds of games. I know this has always been a shaky situation for 3D Realms with legal stuff but, if possible it would be great.

-No more 'Duke' games other than Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction(Survivor). Duke Nukem doesn't need to be released any more, unless you "acquire" the license to the Duke Nukem rights then back off. Duke Nukem 3D doesn't need to be touched any more and it is available on almost every system out there (eduke32 Android soon). I would not mind Duke Nuke(u)m or Duke Nukem 2 being rebuilt/reverse engineered or maybe the console games having the same treatment but really, lay low with Duke.

That's all I can currently think of off the top of my head.

QFT.

User is offline   Lunick 

-Support ips that have been "loaned" out to developers. The Wacky Wheels remake comes to mind and they seem to have been sitting on it a long time.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

One more thing, seeing the Duke3D port from XBLA moved to PS4 could be great. I know, yet ANOTHER port of Duke3D, however the community is dead on the XBLA version, it's not available on Playstation 3, PS4 has more consoles sold than Xbox One, and there's also not very many games on it right now, meaning more people will buy it by default. And if the rights aren't screwy, releasing the expansions would be cool too

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 02 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

You guys should make Viper your PR man..... to spice things up.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostWieder, on 02 March 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

Don't talk/ask. Just go do.

Small scope, huge heart, solid implementation. Build from there.

Exactly. Do that, and you can't go wrong.

Did you sell the Shadow Warrior licence to Flying Wild Hog or Digital Devolver? It would suck if they never get to make a sequel.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't think Flying Wild Hog owns the IP, but were granted a license.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 March 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

I don't think Flying Wild Hog owns the IP, but were granted a license.

I think Digital Devolver licensed Shadow Warrior from 3DR. It remains to be seen how Interceptor's purchase effects that arrangement in the future.

It would suck if we never got to see Shadow Warrior 2 from Flying Wild Hog. They did such a killer job. That game left me wanting more.

View PostReaperMan, on 02 March 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

You guys should make Viper your PR man..... to spice things up.

Implying I'd work for the same people I love shit talking.

I have standards. I'm not a sellout.

User is offline   Malgon 

And I thought the 3DR/Gearbox lawsuit was a surprise. :blink:

Anyway, I'm not sure what Interceptor should do exactly, but seriously, take the advice from Wieder, take on board the stuff that Lunick posted about getting the back catalogue onto GOG/Steam etc. and just generally listen to what the community here has to say, as there are a lot of long time Apogee fans, and I think listening to their feedback will show goodwill towards the community and can only benefit Interceptor in the long run.

View PostProtected by Viper, on 02 March 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Hire back Joe Siegler or else no one will refill the coffee machine or take out the recycling. That guy is like, the John Romero of janitors.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 03 March 2014 - 12:56 AM

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

1) Keep 3D Realms brand label. I love their logo, it reminds me of my childhood...
2) Make the Duke 3D remake happen.
3) See if it is possible to get the Blood IP. I think 3DR had something to do with this?
4) Buy Duke rights back off Gearbox. Gearbox do not seem interested in making anything 'Duke'
5) Re-release HD remakes of 3DR's classic on Steam (excluding Duke3D and SW as they've already been done...)

Other questions:
Does 3DR have anything to do with Max Payne anymore? Also, does the aquisition of 3DR include/involve George Broussard & Scott Miller? Those guys are pretty much the soul, spirit and backbone of 3DR...

This post has been edited by Trebor_UK: 03 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostTrebor_UK, on 03 March 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

Also, does the aquisition of 3DR include/involve George Broussard & Scott Miller? Those guys are pretty much the soul, spirit and backbone of 3DR...

Yeah, it involved. They were the ones who sold it.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Thanks for all the great feedback :blink:

We have a board meeting coming up, where I will present a lot of these ideas to the rest of the partners in the company.
We will put together an overall strategy for 3DR going forward.

I'll keep you guys updated!

User is offline   necroslut 

Remember the "keywords" of the Build-style FPS:
"Go anywhere, do anything" and "If you can't pick it up, use it. If you can't use it, blow it up"
Make games like that. Also, no more unkillable NPC's and indestructible stuff like in RotT please.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Stop trying to remake old games etc. and work on your own title.

User is offline   ---- 

Ok, another suggestion. buy the rights for Max the Revenger and release that. :blink:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 03 March 2014 - 07:13 AM

User is offline   HeadClot 

I just barely found this thread -

So here is my late feedback no particular order.

1. Make your own game (Non-Duke) and release it via GOG and Steam.
2. Release various HD remakes of 3DR Classics, etc. to Steam and GOG.
3. Make all your games easy to mod.
4. Create Build engine 2

When you got everything in place both financially and legally then make a duke game.

User is offline   mpuone 

View PostHeadClot, on 03 March 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

4. Create Build engine 2

Interceptor should totally create it's own game engine (Or update the Build engine), but only if doesn't get in the way of creating excellent games.

View Postmpuone, on 03 March 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

Interceptor should totally create it's own game engine (Or update the Build engine), but only if doesn't get in the way of creating excellent games.

They can't even get RoTT bugfixed...and you want them to write an engine?

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 03 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Why is everyone saying release HD remakes of old games? That is a terrible idea.

Halloween Harry would look like shit in HD. Can you imagine Diane with a normal forehead?

The future of 3D Realms... well, lets see.

Firstly. The arrangement 3D Realms had worked out with Devolver Digital and Flying Wild Hog for Shadow Warrior. Maintain it. Allow FLW to develop a sequel (Which they have expressed a desire to do so), and allow them to do it without interruption. Shadow Warrior was a great restart for what could be a fantastic series.
Work it out so that they can make another and do so at their pace, how they wish. Don't try and step in and change things or force any other vision on them.

Second. Don't simply try to ride on the nostalgia of the 3D Realms name. Which, sad to say, it about all the company name holds these days... nostalgia. 3D Realms biggest issue was that it never moved forward, stuck trying to finish one game and refusing to accept defeat and try something new.
If you plan on using the 3DR name use it for new projects, new games... new stories and directions. Don't simply sit and refuse to do anything but remake old series.

Listen.
Openly, freely... and take it seriously. But find and listen to those who didn't gush over your RotT remake. Listen to those with complaints, issues, dislikes... listen to what they didn't enjoy. You say you listen to the community, that you value their interaction. Then accept the interaction of those that were not big fans of what you did, don't just listen to those who gushed all over it. You have to take the negative in as well if you truly want to grow and improve.
And, negative feedback is far more important then positive. You will never improve if you only listen to those praising what you've done. You have to hear the negative, you have to take it in... accept it and strive to become better.

And, as many others have said, make something original. Make your own game.
I've expressed this in the past, but Interceptor seems far too narrowly focused on trying to remake older games. To a point it's a fault and not a strength. If you're going to remake an older series, then do so with the passion and confidence that you can make it your own, even if it upsets long time fans, even if it has the possibility of annoying people. Flying Wild Hog stayed true to their vision and recreated Shadow Warrior... a completely new take and it worked beautifully.
Eidos Montreal stayed true to their vision with Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Thief. Both long running series with ungodly devoted fan bases, but that didn't stop them from making those series their own and changing things.

If you are determined to remake an older series, make it new. Make it better. And, make something original. Show the community what you can come up with, what is your companies idea... their ability to create a world, characters, story... what can they give us that we haven't already gotten? That we haven't already played?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You guys should rig your board meeting room (okay, the Denny's dining room) up so that carbon monoxide builds up to about 400 parts per million. We'll all understand.

I've heard in the news atricles that Commander Keen is getting a revival. Is this true? If so once again; have Interceptor & 3D Realms re-hire Tom Hall and buy the rights to Commander Keen from Id Software/Zenimax. And make the Keen source codes under GPL.

User is offline   Lunick 

https://twitter.com/...475016384512000 What are you up to Fred.

User is offline   Alithinos 

The bad thing is you guys came late. :blink:
Some of the best franchises 3D Realms once had have already been sold. Duke Nukem,Prey,and Wolfenstein comes to my mind.
There are still many franchises 3D Realms have but those where mostly 3rd person action platformers,not FPSs.
I don't know.

A remake of Wolfenstein 3D would be nice,but I don't know what's with the licenses if 3D Realms still is allowed to publish and sell a game with that name or if all have gone to Bethesda.

User is offline   Alithinos 

View Postmpuone, on 03 March 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

Why waste time making a new engine while they already have the license to use the Unreal Engine,and they have experience working on it ?

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options