Duke4.net Forums: The Sale & Free Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Sale & Free Thread  "Post here when there's a sale for games that people here want to b"

User is offline   NY00123 

This is a response to the following post about the current GOG Connect offers: https://forums.duke4...169#entry275169

Basically, Saints Row 2 is currently offered for free on Steam and GOG.com (regardless of GOG Connect).

This post has been edited by NY00123: 20 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Eador: Genesis is free for a limited time from GOG.com:
https://www.gog.com/game/eador_genesis

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Doom (4) is on sale at 67% off. I'm thinking of getting it but I'm not sure if my rig can take it. I've got a quad core at 2.33GHz, 8GB of ram, an nvidia GTX 750 (2gb dedicated vram).

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

My 460 ran it nicely on lowest quality settings before I upgraded. Don't know about your processor speed...

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

You can always try a demo to test performance.

• The Sarien Encounter

Problem is the demo doesn't work as nice as the full game. I had some major framerate drops for no apparent reason randomly while playing the demo. But this issue was solved in the full version. I don't know if they went back and fixed that in the demo or not...but when those resource usage spikes weren't going through the roof the game ran smoothly. So I guess if you do get smooth performance at any one time during the demo before it freaks out you can more or less be confident that the full game will run at that level without spiking.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 May 2017 - 06:32 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostSledgehammer, on 12 May 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

You can always try a demo to test performance.

I did try the demo on its release. It was an absolute slideshow. One frame every 1-2 seconds. I've also heard the framerate is better in the full game. Not to mention they may have applied additional optimizations post-release, and that directx 12 may allow an additional speed boost.

I was able to run Deus Ex Mankind Divided at medium-ish (on the low side) settings, obviously with the resource hog settings disabled.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Alan Wake, Alan Wake's two DLC addons, and American Nightmare are going to be 90% off on Steam and GOG starting the 13th to the 15th; after the 15th, it is being taken off digital distribution and you won't be able to buy it ever again unless they renew the music licenses (which will probably happen eventually)
And yes, if you own it, you can still download it whenever you want.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 12 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Games are getting pulled because of music licenses now?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 May 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

Games are getting pulled because of music licenses now?

Nothing new, it's why a few of the older Grand Theft Auto games have different soundtracks now.

• The Sarien Encounter

But the games didn't get straight up pulled for it Netflix-style. I'm so tired of the music industry. I was waiting for it to start in digital distribution and hey here it is.

View PostMicky C, on 12 May 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

I did try the demo on its release. It was an absolute slideshow. One frame every 1-2 seconds. I've also heard the framerate is better in the full game. Not to mention they may have applied additional optimizations post-release, and that directx 12 may allow an additional speed boost.

They didn't update demo since then? Well, that's lazy. But well, why don't you, you know, "get" it to check it out if it works and then decide if the game is worth it? Or you could always use refund policy.

• Honored Donor

Good point, I've bought the game to try it out. I'd forgotten how lenient steam's refund policy had become.

User is offline   X-Vector 

I don't understand why the Doom demo runs so badly on your system.
I've still got the same PC I bought six years ago (i7 2600K, 8GB RAM, HD 6950 2GB) and frame rate hovers around 40-50 indoors and 60-70 outside, although during intense firefights it dips down into the 40s.
This is on 1280x960 with everything set to low, TSSAA 8TX and sharpening at 3.0 to compensate for the blurring.
Lower resolution helps performance, but the disparity shouldn't be that extreme.
The only qualms I have are mid-distance shadows that follow player movement (a minor distraction) and some sluggishness even at 60+ FPS (feels like a slight VSync lag even though it's turned off).

• Honored Donor

View PostX-Vector, on 13 May 2017 - 01:11 AM, said:

I don't understand why the Doom demo runs so badly on your system.
I've still got the same PC I bought six years ago (i7 2600K, 8GB RAM, HD 6950 2GB) and frame rate hovers around 40-50 indoors and 60-70 outside, although during intense firefights it dips down into the 40s.
This is on 1280x960 with everything set to low, TSSAA 8TX and sharpening at 3.0 to compensate for the blurring.
Lower resolution helps performance, but the disparity shouldn't be that extreme.
The only qualms I have are mid-distance shadows that follow player movement (a minor distraction) and some sluggishness even at 60+ FPS (feels like a slight VSync lag even though it's turned off).

The demo clearly arose from a poorly optimised build, which is perhaps a poor decision on their part as it would drive some business away. I'm not sure if it was ever updated, I only played it at the time of release, which was still after the original game's release.

So I've tried out the main game and it's certainly playable. 40+ FPS at 1280x720 with many settings on medium.

• The Sarien Encounter

Great!

User is offline   Lunick 

Some quality titles in the Humble Indie bundle 18 https://www.humblebundle.com/

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Mount & Blade is currently free at GOG.com.

User is offline   Soap DX 

Free until Wednesday

Starpoint Gemini 2
http://store.steampo...point_Gemini_2/

Make sure to grab the Free DLC
http://store.steampo...mini_2_Origins/

This post has been edited by Soap DX: 23 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Thanks! I grabbed the game but somehow missed the DLC.

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 May 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

Thanks! I grabbed the game but somehow missed the DLC.

Huh? It still seems to be free.

• The Sarien Encounter

I meant I grabbed the game beforehand but didn't realize the DLC was also free so I picked that up as well at Soap's notice.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Fallout 4 is free to try on Steam for the next three days, the game is also 67% off during that time.

This post has been edited by X-Vector: 26 May 2017 - 12:43 AM

You can get a free copy of The Witcher Enhanced edition via GOG - if you subscribe to the GoG Newsletter via GOG Galaxy their platform. You may have to install GWENT, a free card game, not sure.
No clue how long this promotion will last.

If anyone's been wanted to get the game.

Speaking of sales, looks like GOG recently received better support from known publishers and some niche publishers too (like SNK). Now you can get shit ton of SNK games and most of latest Bethesda games too (like Oblivion or FO3 and FO:NV), plus it's possible to get Dragon's Dogma. All of this stuff has discount right now (which is quite massive in some cases).

I must say that I didn't expect to see Capcom and SNK titles outside of Steam. Hopefully more companies start to treat GOG seriously, Steam needs strong competition.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 05 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

So good to finally see Oblivion DRM free (with horse armour and the other small digital DLCs!).

HURRY!!!
http://store.steampo...305050/Outland/
Free permanent copy of Outland! Available until June 8th 10AM Pacific.

• The Sarien Encounter

Must have missed it?....says $10.99 (CAD) for me.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Gears of War 4 is free to try right now for the next couple days.
The only caveat is you need to get it through Windows Store

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 June 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

Must have missed it?....says $10.99 (CAD) for me.

Yeah sorry, I found out like 7 minutes before it ended.
But, here's another

PAYDAY 2 Free (unknown for how long)
http://store.steampo...18620/PAYDAY_2/

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options