• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Post Duke Nukem videos  "I enjoy them"

Better late than never.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostHigh Treason, on 05 September 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

Better late than never.

This stuff is great, thanks! I've bumped into your reply in another thread with an example map of using target/shooter for logic gates and got plenty of ideas for their usage, so probably will have to study this video on the go should I encounter any problems.

BTW, you have a perfect voice for online tutorials.

Will be interesting to see what you come up with. I'm open to helping should you get stuck, though using targets this way becomes second nature after a while so you'll probably get a firm grasp on it rather quickly.

Never really thought about the voice, it just is what it is, could probably be better, though I guess it could be worse if I resorted to the mic eating and fake accents that a lot of people seem to use instead of merely half-assedly following the script.

User is offline   Aleks 

More complex machines could be great for puzzles, but even the simple stuff that can be done with them seems great - like delayed respawns, flashing lights that can be turned on and off or touchplate combinations. I remember like 15 years ago figuring very strange ways for enemies spawning in waves by hidden exploding chicks, but this seems more convenient. And it's nice that you covered more technical aspects in the video like the radius or speed of the projectile, should save some time testing.

User is offline   duke3d.exe 

View PostHigh Treason, on 05 September 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

Better late than never.

Cool, never imagined these things could be used in creative ways. Btw, is it safe to use the Duke 3d midi OST in videos? it would be lame if you get copyright strikes for that.

User is offline   levelord 

• Veteran Level Designer

View Postck3D, on 03 September 2020 - 05:39 AM, said:

This has probably gotten around on here already but I just ran into it and got sucked into it, the conversation mostly goes the way of Levelord being interviewed by Randy Pitchford which I was hoping it would. They bring up not just the supposed movie but also an anime series, that's probably old news too but the idea was new to me. Levelord's way of acknowledging Allen Blum's work before his is pretty cool, I cracked up at the way he awkwardly introduced him as 'the guy he stole all the cool ideas from' only to be met by brief but complete silence.

`Tis true, Allen is the quiet-but all-powerful guru.

User is offline   jkas789 

Still bugs me out that apparently Allen Blum is unreachable. Really sad that after Duke Nukem Forever he aparently stopped working in the video games industry.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

View Postlevelord, on 07 October 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

`Tis true, Allen is the quiet-but all-powerful guru.

Pardon me, but are you the real Richard "Levelord" Gray?

• Veteran Level Designer

Yes, I am :)

User is offline   stumppy84 

Big fan! Any new Duke maps in your future?

Yes, I am :)

Well then. Welcome good sir!

This post has been edited by jkas789: 08 October 2020 - 01:11 PM

• Veteran Level Designer

View Postjkas789, on 08 October 2020 - 01:10 PM, said:

Well then. Welcome good sir!

I feel the warmth :)

• Veteran Level Designer

View Poststumppy84, on 08 October 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

Big fan! Any new Duke maps in your future?

Well, thank you, stumppy84!

This is when i think Internet is a better place than usual, i can say Hi and Welcome to one of the best Game Designer of some of my childhood games, and i can directly say Thank You!

"You're not
supposed
to be here"

I believe that this style inspired many other level designers when they filled their levels with some easter eggs.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 09 October 2020 - 12:51 PM

• Veteran Level Designer

View PostThe Battlelord, on 09 October 2020 - 11:56 AM, said:

This is when i think Internet is a better place than usual, i can say Hi and Welcome to one of the best Game Designer of some of my childhood games, and i can directly say Thank You!

"You're not
supposed
to be here"

I believe that this style inspired many other level designers when they filled their levels with some easter eggs.

User is offline   NNC 

Hey man, are you the real one?

Please, check this thread: https://forums.duke4...-can-we-expect/

We are actually talking about Duke Nukem 3d level design and what should have been done for the anniversary. If you and Blum return for more (with more classic E1-E3 style) and without new port and shit, that would be awesome!

Holy Shit Duke Nukem 1 in Mario 64

Thats cool. The Mario 64 PC port is really going places huh?

Yeah it has come along way even the HD Mario that I have saw for the emulators look alot better then the Nintendo Switch Mario 64 edition.

User is online   ck3D 

Another new/unknown author with a few interesting unreleased maps (that I know of) I found on YouTube, he has more on his channel but these two are the more ambitious ones:

Another one of these;

This time we abuse the rendering engine's draw order to produce 'impossible' structures.

User is offline   Aleks 

Cool stuff as always, High Treason. Remember you can use sloped horizontal sprites with recent versions of Mapster, so it's entirely possible to mask the bottom of the these "negatives" (in this case the bottom of the bridge arches) with sprites (and both features actually compliment eachother quite well, as there are pretty much barely any decent triangular sprites to fill the "walls" of a sloped sprite structures in vanilla Duke). I've always found this effect especially useful for "floating" slide doors.

User is online   ck3D 

Ah this is cool, I assume that's how Pascal Rouaud would make his little handrails and windows in the later Roch maps (more people have used the trick of course), I remember trying to pull things apart a few times to learn the effect back in the day but I didn't understand how it worked so I couldn't really replicate it right. I never even realized parallaxed sky tricks were relying on the game's drawing order in particular to function the specific way that they do till now; now it all makes so much more sense. Thank you for making and sharing these videos, always a treat!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 18 November 2020 - 03:14 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Using parallax to build "impossible" geometry is an old trick indeed; but it looks like it's always taken to the next step.

The first trace of it that I know of would be in Redneck Rampage Route 66, for the swing door/mask wall gates in Flea Market and House of Ill Repute (but there are probably earlier examples I'm unaware of):

Attached Image: capt0008.png

Attached Image: capt0007.png

Then there is the infamous one in Military Madness by Alejandro Glavic:

Attached Image: capt0125.png

which takes this concept to the next level.

The bridge also looks like it takes it to the next level; the problem however with these things it that for obvious reasons the player can not walk underneath/above the sectors; even though it may look to him that he could. In the cases of those doors it's not a problem, but for big constructions it can lead to noticeable "invisible walls".

Cool stuff nonetheless!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 18 November 2020 - 03:29 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postck3D, on 03 September 2020 - 05:39 AM, said:

This has probably gotten around on here already but I just ran into it and got sucked into it, the conversation mostly goes the way of Levelord being interviewed by Randy Pitchford which I was hoping it would. They bring up not just the supposed movie but also an anime series, that's probably old news too but the idea was new to me. Levelord's way of acknowledging Allen Blum's work before his is pretty cool, I cracked up at the way he awkwardly introduced him as 'the guy he stole all the cool ideas from' only to be met by brief but complete silence.

Great video, I had missed it. Does anyone know what those 4 levels Levelord released for Doom are and if they can still be found? They're mentionned in the video.

Edit: also, it is known which multiplayer levels Levelord built for Opposing Force? Again, they're mentionned in the video.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 18 November 2020 - 04:36 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMetHy, on 18 November 2020 - 03:28 AM, said:

Using parallax to build "impossible" geometry is an old trick indeed; but it looks like it's always taken to the next step.

The first trace of it that I know of would be in Redneck Rampage Route 66, for the swing door/mask wall gates in Flea Market and House of Ill Repute (but there are probably earlier examples I'm unaware of):

Attachment capt0008.png

Attachment capt0007.png

Then there is the infamous one in Military Madness by Alejandro Glavic:

Attachment capt0125.png

which takes this concept to the next level.

The bridge also looks like it takes it to the next level; the problem however with these things it that for obvious reasons the player can not walk underneath/above the sectors; even though it may look to him that he could. In the cases of those doors it's not a problem, but for big constructions it can lead to noticeable "invisible walls".

Cool stuff nonetheless!

Although swing doors can't move sprites, I've found that for small doors like that in Military Madness it might be better to just use "rotate rise bridge", which can act just like swing door and actually does move sprites - meaning the whole door can be made with spriteworks. The only downside is that it would always require switch to operate, but then it also can be masked within the door. On the other hand, slide doors... Maybe other possibility would be using very tiny 2-way trains which move sprites, but then they are harder to precisely control (and from what I've observed, seem to have some minimal travel distance).

User is offline   MetHy 

With a little more googling I found the Opposing Force DM level by Levelord

Pretty cool level, it reminds me of his mine level from the Quake's Scourge Of Armageddon in many ways. Tom Mustaine also did levels on both add-ons, I think his amusement park DM level for Opposing Force should be momerable to anyone who's ever seen it.

I can't seem to find the Doom levels though. I only find a spanish Doom guide called "Levelord" but which has nothing to do with him.

Edit: found the Doom levels

View PostAleks, on 18 November 2020 - 04:55 AM, said:

Maybe other possibility would be using very tiny 2-way trains which move sprites, but then they are harder to precisely control (and from what I've observed, seem to have some minimal travel distance).

Remember that originally 2-way trains can only move actors; they only move all type of sprites in EDuke32.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 18 November 2020 - 07:08 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMetHy, on 18 November 2020 - 05:38 AM, said:

Remember that originally 2-way trains can only move actors; they only move all type of sprites in EDuke32.

Did they? Warp Factor's 2-way trains certainly had switches in it and I remember making a box made of sprites "flying" across a room with 2-way train in AlexCity, which was pre-Eduke.

User is offline   MetHy 

Hmm, I was probably mixing up with subway vehicules.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options