Duke4.net Forums: Post Duke Nukem videos - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Post Duke Nukem videos  "I enjoy them"

User is offline   Steve 64 

Recorded during slightly bad weather outside....I dunno if the rain actually turns up in the audio, but I definitely heard it while recording.

User is offline   ck3D 

Larry Bundy Jr. covers DNF and the pre-order offers that came with it:

https://youtu.be/tWq_7aleTgM?t=487

For the first time in the series, death DOESN'T mean instant deletion of that particular take of the video!

First video I've done running a game via D-Fend Reloaded!

User is offline   ck3D 

21:17 (timestamped) to 21:30 cracked me the fuck up:

https://youtu.be/anE8uzXiPY8?t=1277

User is offline   Sanek 

Ah 2070, the map where return...anywhere is the quest unto itself.

I actually recorded the demo file where I finished the whole map in like 5 mins...and I gotta say, when you know where everything is, it's not as exciting as when I played it for the first time...

User is offline   ck3D 

I'm just finding out about this map today - still haven't played it. I've read the criticism on it and even from the video I can tell where it's generally coming from, the gameplay really isn't the one of a typical (some would say practical) Duke 3D map and it looks more like a die-hard exploration-based adventure of its own. I can tell where Mikko sees the conceptual grandness, some levels like this feel like one-offs with their own specific universe and in such cases I enjoy seeing the take the author was going for even if it's a bit off the beaten path. Kind of reminds me of my own Anarchy City X map here for instance (not to again plug my own shit). I have yet to play your latest maps but from what I've read, I feel like they're a bit in the same vein I'm describing - more experimental stuff.

So, in yesterday's video, I had to cheat to defeat the final boss. This time, well.... :)

User is offline   ck3D 

User is offline   NNC 

I just can't stand the weapons in Caribbean, particularly the hitscanners which were replaced by water stuff. Their sound, their art, all of them are wrong (somehow I learnt to respect the voodoo ring at least). I also don't like most of the redrawn enemies (albeit the pigcop looks great), and those inflatable rafts should go to hell, bring back enforcers.

But the actual level design is solid. I remember adapted some of the levels to classic Duke, and they played much better. I love Full House (the secret level), it indeed looks like a legit map from vanilla Duke, I also love Lost Lagoon, its awesome journey and clever tricks. And of course the boss level (Alien Remains) was a beauty, I modified the final room with the original textures and changed the cyclops to a battlelord, as it was a more sensible boss there. Too bad those amateur mistakes were left there during testing, like the wind54.voc issue which crashed both Voodoo Caves and Alien Remains on the DOS.

The levels I didn't like are the first one and the annoying theme park one. I might be a contrarian, but the first level does look cheap for most part, boring textures and no sense of actual beach atmosphere. The theme park level is probably disliked by most I guess for obvious reasons.

As for DC, I actually admire Smithsonian's design, it's BS indeed, but it's the only level by Travis which felt like his user maps prior to it, so I guess my nostalgia factor makes it better than it actually is. I mean there are a lot of similarities between Smithsonian and Betatwo/Aztec/Anslem. Even the ocean stuff returned from Betaone. The best level is however Nuked Files, it felt classic Duke, despite the abundance of pigcops. I also somewhat enjoy Metro Mayhem, the secret passage was done very well. Overall, DC was mediocre though, and the monster placement/lack of sounds/Washington jokes clearly dragged it down despite the occasional flashes of good design.

A remake project of DC would be interesting with strong focus on enhancing the gameplay and the atmosphere, but keep the good parts, like the base design by Travis.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 20 July 2020 - 02:00 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

^ The first time I tried playing Caribbean I remember the new art style threw me off too, I was a lot younger, used to the typical Duke look and feel and when that first level with the happy music came up my first reaction was, 'what the fuck is this?'. The humor was too much to handle for young me, I guess. Now though, of course, I recognize the strengths of the level design and the fun factor altogether, but the new aesthetics took a while to digest. In comparison the art direction in DC felt like less of a parody to me if that makes sense, as the original game's EP 1 & 3 had already established a strong urban theme for Duke 3D and its weapons remained unchanged.

I didn't grow up with Caribbean at all though, however I did play DC a lot as a kid since it was the only 'legit' quality episode included in the Kill-A-Ton collection I got quite early on - obviously it's got its low moments as far as gameplay is concerned, and quite the amount of misaligned textures but I used to have a lot of fun just wandering around the levels and exploring the nooks and crannies. I was a big fan of Robert Travis' user maps already at the time, and only realized he had been making the maps for DC a bit later. Coincidentally, I'm with you when it comes to my own favorite DC maps.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 20 July 2020 - 10:48 PM

User is offline   NNC 

View Postck3D, on 20 July 2020 - 10:44 PM, said:

^ The first time I tried playing Caribbean I remember the new art style threw me off too, I was a lot younger, used to the typical Duke look and feel and when that first level with the happy music came up my first reaction was, 'what the fuck is this?'. The humor was too much to handle for young me, I guess. Now though, of course, I recognize the strengths of the level design and the fun factor altogether, but the new aesthetics took a while to digest. In comparison the art direction in DC felt like less of a parody to me if that makes sense, as the original game's EP 1 & 3 had already established a strong urban theme for Duke 3D and its weapons remained unchanged.

I didn't grow up with Caribbean at all though, however I did play DC a lot as a kid since it was the only 'legit' quality episode included in the Kill-A-Ton collection I got quite early on - obviously it's got its low moments as far as gameplay is concerned, and quite the amount of misaligned textures but I used to have a lot of fun just wandering around the levels and exploring the nooks and crannies. I was a big fan of Robert Travis' user maps already at the time, and only realized he had been making the maps for DC a bit later. Coincidentally, I'm with you when it comes to my own favorite DC maps.

What is terribly wrong with Caribbean are the 3 hitscan weapons and the inflatable monster. They look awful, and the inflatalbe is terribly annoying as well. Why couldn't they keep the enforcer as the iguana shown in the promos? Or why didn't they use the desert eagle for example as a pistol replacement? These things certainly didn't help the game's case. Also I didn't like the NPC women in the first level. They started screaming too easily, and their art was quite bad too.

This might be the reason I like classic style levels more (Lost Lagoon, Full House, Alien Remains) in the game, and pretend the original monsters/stuff are there.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 21 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

The Beach add-on is by far the worst of the three big ones for me.To surmise;

DukeDC is by far the best add-on and my criticisms largely relate to what it didn't do. Perhaps sometimes it's better to not do something than to do it badly. DukeDC seemed to be focused on playing well, it basically serves to offer another episode of plain old Duke3D but with themed maps, the maps mostly play well and tick all the basic boxes. They're memorable enough, though as with anything, it's not perfect and there are a few low points. Overall I think it did what it set out to do; give you an extension to the existing Duke3D experience, more of what worked, and didn't stray from the established formula very much. Metro Mayhem is the weakest level for me, I tend to get lost because it all looks the same and frame rates are bad in there. Brown Water might be my favorite, if not Memorial Service, then the final two levels, Dread October and Nuke Proof. Overall the episode averages out about on par with The Birth, where The Birth's highs and lows are to a greater extent in either direction, but as a whole they're roughly as good as one another. Shame it didn't have its own music.

Nuclear Winter can be by no means considered great, but it's Christmas themed, and tacky Christmas things always come with disappointment, as does the holiday itself, so the bar was set low. The theming was correct, the humor was there, it did feel kinda cheap but it works for me in that 'this B movie is trash but it seems to know it's trash and is kinda fun' way, it's OK to dig it out once a year and forget about it for another eleven months. The level design wasn't as good as DC's, in that they didn't seem to play quite so well, but at the same time, it's kinda a shame because there are tiny little pieces that are extremely well designed, little glimpses of potential that couldn't be applied consistently.

Life's a Beach is a mess. Right from the start you're assaulted by crappy textures (what the hell, is that meant to be water!?) and the music is fun for 30 seconds before it becomes annoying, really annoying, it has that overly try-hard vibe that female video game composers of the time (except maybe Tomoko Sasaki, who was awesome) seemed really prone to for some reason - though in all fairness, it's far better than anything that dude who worked on the final version of Blood could have ever made. Voodoo Caves' music at least showed some potential but failed to deliver; awesome beat and bassline, sloppy lead that sounds unfinished, I honestly do wonder if the poor composer could do better, but simply ran out of time.
Not only are the textures bad, but they're often applied sloppily and the choices are weird, that pond in the hotel entrance has a bunch of these issues. The level layouts are garbage, because they obviously wanted to focus on the gimmicky looks but then couldn't execute that properly either due to the afore mentioned crappy application of said texturing and layouts that are awkward, and don't flow well. The level designers probably wasted all of their time actively trying to annoy the player, which is fine in small doses, but some dickhead thought it would be fun to put GPSPEEDs in literally every fucking elevator to make them painfully slow, that long one in Lost Lagoon is by far the worst as you have to ride it more than once - it's sadistic genius because a load of explosions are waiting up there, so you instinctively hit space to move the elevator out of the way and have to ride it back down and then back up, wasting minutes of time in which nothing happens, even more if the explosions kill you which isn't unlikely given sparse health placement. This is bad design.

Speaking of explosions, then there's those stupid gay coconut slinging inflatable pool toy things. They loved placing those enemies in cramped, blind corners or behind doors where you couldn't avoid the hits without knowing they were there already, if at all. The level designers almost certainly did it on purpose. This is bad design.
Resources like health are often relegated to secret areas, which is exacerbated by the coconut flingers. This is bad design.
Seagulls seem to be able to get out of bounds and damage you, or else end up intangible, so you take hits and can do nothing about it, or I assume this is what's happening as I can't see what is doing the damage and can't damage it in return. This is bad design.
Even without the major annoyances, levels are plagued by many small issues that show a lack of effort, like floating fires and water flowing the wrong way, in far greater numbers than DC had such issues. Feels like it wasn't playtested. This is bad design.
Voodoo Caves always sticks in my mind as a level with awful layout and progression, it is just painful and annoying to play, there are weird little pockets that make it look like even the designer didn't know what to do with it.
As noted, too much focus on the gimmicky theme, it's weird how Nuclear Winter could do this, but managed to flow better when playing even if it wasn't brilliant, it was at least acceptable, it's as if NW tried to be fun where LAB tried to piss the player off instead.
The lack of shotgun firing sound is really disorientating, the pig cops still have it, so why not the player?
The new lines are horrible. Also that ending, Comic Sans says it all. In all fairness, the Duke impersonator does a better job than JSJ usually does these days.
The installer, weird Sunstorm Manager and resulting hacks to the EXE cause some problems with the game in DOS. Said installer doesn't even bother to clear the screen upon exit, but has to exit so you can start the game manually, as it has no option to start the manager it just installed, then the manager crashes the EXE, breaks the audio system or makes other things happen that aren't entirely good.

There are many more problems I have with this add-on, but I'll leave it there. Overall I don't find it fun and it seems they designed it primarily to be annoying, rather than being fun, so whatever. If you enjoy it, good, don't let my thoughts on it take anything away from that. Similarly I am not attempting to invalidate people's criticisms of DC or NW, as those are your experiences with them and they're obviously just different to mine.

I haven't forgotten about DMT, I've just been too busy to make any more lately and will return to it as soon as I can.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 21 July 2020 - 12:54 PM

View PostHigh Treason, on 21 July 2020 - 12:53 PM, said:

...female video game composer...

:)

In all fairness, the Duke impersonator does a better job than JSJ usually does these days.

It was JSJ.

Perhaps I should have been more clear; I don't know who actually composed the music and aren't about to install the add-on again to find out, only that it has a very try-hard quality that is usually reserved for certain composers of the time. By contrast, I'm around 90% certain the voice wasn't JSJ due to the way it sounds, that opening line alone sounds like someone trying their hardest to do an impression of him, rather than Jon himself.
What I do know is that Weinerholder had something to do with some of the levels, which explains the quality issues, as everything that guy touches seems to turn to shit for some reason.

View PostHigh Treason, on 21 July 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

Perhaps I should have been more clear;

No it was perfect for several reasons. :)

I don't know who actually composed the music and aren't about to install the add-on again to find out

I mean... there are alternative methods to find out.

By contrast, I'm around 90% certain the voice wasn't JSJ due to...

I'm 99.9% certain it was JSJ due to sending the VO requests to 3DR. That remaining 0.1% is because perhaps 3DR got a soundalike.

This post has been edited by RunRonRun: 21 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

DukeDC is by far the best add-on and my criticisms largely relate to what it didn't do. Perhaps sometimes it's better to not do something than to do it badly. DukeDC seemed to be focused on playing well, it basically serves to offer another episode of plain old Duke3D but with themed maps, the maps mostly play well and tick all the basic boxes. They're memorable enough, though as with anything, it's not perfect and there are a few low points. Overall I think it did what it set out to do; give you an extension to the existing Duke3D experience, more of what worked, and didn't stray from the established formula very much.

This is exactly how Duke DC would make me feel as a kid. I haven't played the add-on in ages but I watch playthroughs from time to time for the nostalgia trip; after all those years of playing user maps, I find that all those qualities still stand. The user art was also really good in that it complemented the vibe of the base game fairly well for what it was, and it looked more reasonable than the seemingly LSD-induced experimentation in Caribbean.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 23 July 2020 - 02:19 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

I think it was The Watchtower or someone else on here who was recently expressing regret that there was no playthrough for Last Reaction & Water Bases on YouTube? I just found this one of 20+ videos (although with live commentary), starting with this one:

Of course, the playthrough has been up for five years and to this day, averages 50 views per video. I'm not sure any of them even showed up in search the last time I tried looking that episode up, seeing as I only ran into them just now. YouTube algorithms are so wonky sometimes.

edit - damn he got me, it's not even a full playthrough of the mod - dude just spends ages wandering around the levels and quits halfway through in the last video. Just a heads up so that no one watches this expecting some good gameplay, it's for inspiration's sake if anything.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 14 August 2020 - 09:47 AM

A LONG time overdue, this one....

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 15 August 2020 - 12:21 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

https://youtu.be/9Al2gHiZKsc

User is offline   ck3D 

This has probably gotten around on here already but I just ran into it and got sucked into it, the conversation mostly goes the way of Levelord being interviewed by Randy Pitchford which I was hoping it would. They bring up not just the supposed movie but also an anime series, that's probably old news too but the idea was new to me. Levelord's way of acknowledging Allen Blum's work before his is pretty cool, I cracked up at the way he awkwardly introduced him as 'the guy he stole all the cool ideas from' only to be met by brief but complete silence.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 03 September 2020 - 05:40 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

A Duke Nukem anime would probably work pretty well. At least that industry isn't entirely cucked like pedowood. Bombshell could play a significant character without being a Mary Sue. General Graves could fill in the role of a bad@ss captain like Jet Black or Dutch from Black Lagoon. An anime also easily bypasses the issue of having to employ JSJ. And that has nothing to do with his politics; his voice just simply wouldn't mix well in a tv show with hours of dialogue. Though maybe he could be casted in the English dub that nobody would watch.

A Duke anime is probably well passed its expiration date, but I bet it would have been a major hit 15 years ago. There are not nearly enough good seinen action shows, and this was true even more so a decade ago. Shows like Elfen Lied became major hits which aren't exactly reviewed well nowadays. It would have been successful even if it had major flaws.

This post has been edited by Data Hivemind Thot Entity: 03 September 2020 - 07:15 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

15 years ago is generous, sounds like something I would have enjoyed reading about in video game magazines back in the late 90's and even then it would have probably been considered a branded rehash of existing cyberpunk anime. But it caught my interest too, if it ever comes out I'll keep an eye out for it and hopefully it'll be good. Maybe they're actually betting on nostalgia here but in general it's kind of weird to see the IP owners seem so simultaneously torn apart between 1/ the temptation of modernizing Duke in order to appeal to new generations of gamers and 2/ the fear of disappointing the original fans that leads them to try and nurture a not-so-credible retro vibe around the franchise. It's as though they don't know whether Duke should live in the present day or in the past - even the wording of the World Tour description doesn't sound sure of what it should highlight as a selling point (but I do appreciate them being aware of the game's legacy):

ALL-NEW Episode FIVE, created by the original episode designers, Allen Blum III and Richard Levelord Gray!
New, bonus content in Episode 5: Duke Nukem finally gets a INCINERATOR to roast new Firefly enemies!
New Duke Talk plus high-fidelity re-recordings from Duke Nukems original voice actor, Jon St. John!
New musical score for Episode 5 created by Dukes theme song author and original game composer, Lee Jackson!
Original 1996 source code and 2.5D engine re-mastered in True 3D for PS4!

When in reality everyone else is just expecting new Duke games that would be good because they'd actually be the serious work of an enthusiastic and dedicated team under one solid and focused direction, not because they'd be a mishmash of whatever gimmicks are trending this month in other games or IRL on Reddit and also broken bosses.

I don't mean to talk shit though. Releasing World Tour on the Switch was a good choice for instance, although I'm not sure how much they actually planned that I feel like it became a very popular port and is drawing a new generation of players and mappers to the game. But they're drawn to the game because Duke 3D is genuinely a good game and not because of pocket sand.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 03 September 2020 - 07:38 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View Postck3D, on 03 September 2020 - 07:30 AM, said:

15 years ago is generous, sounds like something I would have enjoyed reading about in video game magazines back in the late 90's and even then it would have probably been considered a branded rehash of existing cyberpunk anime.

Almost all anime is just a rehash of pre-existing anime. I just think they may have had a good formula with the 2 aforementioned side characters. Duke doesn't have to be an intergalactic hero fighting the alien race. Knowing Japanese anime tropes, his character would probably work better as a "corrupt" anti-hero who "discoveres" his "good side" over time, certainly after episodes and episodes of fabricated Japanese-style indecisiveness. Whenever his motives are questioned and he ponders his thoughts, he'll make that wall humping sound from Duke3D. And whenever he does something rash, Bombshell will say "eeeeeeehhhhhhh???". His team could be an outer space mercenary group, with the aliens getting in the way of most of their jobs. And then in the series finale, after being fed up with their antics, he destroys the alien planet once and for all, but this creates a time paradox that spawns numerous spin-off series in which continuity is no longer a factor, including a comedy OVA with chibi loli versions of the characters. I know this is weeb sh!t but I really think they could have had something if it was produced at the exact right time, perhaps 2004-2006 after the mecha craze and right before the harem student council boom.

This post has been edited by Data Hivemind Thot Entity: 03 September 2020 - 08:48 AM

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options