Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction - Duke4.net Forums

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction  "All Out Of Gum aka Gearbox foils Interceptor's plan again"

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostDuke Rocks, on 01 February 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

Where/when was Bombshell confirmed? :(

https://www.facebook...683580668330373

If it isn't Bombshell, it might as well be. Bombshell can be the codename until it's confirmed.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 01 February 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

What they should do with that website now is release a wallpaper or screenshot when it hits 10,000 likes.

Of a untextured render of a gun like all failed projects do, right?

User is offline   Komenja 

I too would have preferred a new shooter with our favorite alien ass-kicker, but I've enjoyed Duke in first-person shooters, third-person shooters, and side-scrolling shooters. I think I'll enjoy a top-down game with the character too. Hell, especially if it's anything like the first two Diablo games. I'm looking forward for more info on this, wonder when a gameplay video will come out.

Same here. I'm not too happy about it being top-down, but I'll give it a chance. I was hoping the point-of-view would've at least been something like this:

Posted Image

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 February 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

I can see things like tech trees and stuff working. Customizing your guns and stuff would be very cool.

As far as leveling up goes. Well, that's down to how the combat is handled. If it plays like a typical grindy-RPG then no. If it plays like an action game, where shooting stuff is more important the making the player have to build his levels, then it'll be fine. Being able to upgrade certain special abilities, things like that. It could work.

It's all in the fear of the unknown. I think Interceptor may have a few good ideas here. We'll see.

Maybe they took my Badass/Pussy score RPG idea, you never know.

I don't really like the idea of a top down shooter as I never liked them, couldn't they have made it a 3rd Person shooter like Zero Hour or TTK & LOTB.
But maybe this is just one of the Duke Trilogy licenses being used, the other one could be something else and something bigger.
We'll just have to wait and see.

View PostBaconBaconBacon, on 01 February 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

You wanted a third person shooter?

I'd take it over top-down.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Heh, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it might be about my first mod that had almost the same name, from 2007.

View PostKathy, on 01 February 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

Almost anything is called "Action RPG" these days. The first thing that popped in my mind was Postal or Alien Shooter.

It's not gonna be a Fallout, but a top down action game with skill/weapon unlocks as an "rpg" element.

That sounds right, but personally I like that kind of game.

View PostKathy, on 01 February 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

Maybe it's better than nothing, but when the main 'series' is lacking, I don't want any spin-offs.

If it's a good game, then it's a good game. I don't see the harm in it being a Duke Nukem game.

Sheesh, you picky bastards. So what if it's a top-down action rpg? It's still a Duke game after all. Besides, Interceptor always deliver; unfortunately they deliver bugs on launch too but that's another problem. Anyway, Duke lost the FPS market with Forever. He needs a rebirth. A reinvent. Like how Resident Evil was briefly saved with Resident Evil 4.

Oh yeah, one thing that troubled me is that you all called DNF's joke to be hollowed and lame. I let a 15-year old play Duke Nukem Forever and he very much enjoyed it; loved its humor and boobs and stuff like that. The stuff that made Duke, Duke. It's the same feeling I got when I first played Duke Nukem 3D when I was a teen (until Incubator).

All in all, you guys are forgetting something: Always bet on Duke.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

^^Posted Image^^

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah you gotta admit, when Duke needed a good FPS for 15 years then got a crappy one, and now this, it honestly feels like he's been demoted, as though he's not good enough for FPS anymore, and I don't know how he's going to be able to claw back up.

Not to mention no matter how much RPG you ram into something like this, to me it would just feel like a casual game. You wouldn't even feel like Duke anymore when you're looking down on him the whole time,

Posted Image

Casual games can be fun too. I'd rather keep on playing some small casual Duke games until a proper developer picks up the FPS and make a good one.

Duke fits into all kinds of situations. I think this is the first time he's been into something like this. At first it'll start out weird, but once you get used to it it will be smooth from then on.

PS: Sure, Duke was a fun game in its own right, but 3D got popular mostly because of the boobs. Without the boobs, it would just be lameduke. 3D is like Gangnam Style, just a lucky shot in the right direction. Maybe he should go back to platformers, eh?

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 01 February 2014 - 11:51 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 February 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

Heh, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it might be about my first mod that had almost the same name, from 2007.

DNWMD started as DTMOD in 2006. We were contemporaries. :(

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostPikaCommando, on 01 February 2014 - 11:45 PM, said:

3D got popular mostly because of the boobs

Uhuh, everyone's playing Megaton right now, and the community has lasted almost 20 years constantly pumping out new content, because of some pixelated boobs. Right. Okay.

Anyway in case it's not obvious, I probably won't be getting this, and even if I do it won't be unless it gets rave reviews and is on a 75+% sale. I'll get my fix of FPS Duke from Duke 3D in the meantime.

View PostMicky C, on 02 February 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:

Uhuh, everyone's playing Megaton right now, and the community has lasted almost 20 years constantly pumping out new content, because of some pixelated boobs. Right. Okay.

Anyway in case it's not obvious, I probably won't be getting this, and even if I do it won't be unless it gets rave reviews and is on a 75+% sale. I'll get my fix of FPS Duke from Duke 3D in the meantime.

Face it, most people in 1996 got Duke 3D because of the boobs. Boobs are a huge marketing tool back then, cementing Duke's position in the FPS world. Sometimes there are great games that are quite obscure, Duke is just lucky he's got some... tools, to get it out of that spot. Now, thanks to boobs, Duke 3D gets recognize for being such a great shooter in its own rights and continues to get support till this day.

I'll have fun speedrunning Duke 1 then.

No one I knew in 1996 got Duke for the boobs, silly boy.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 02 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

I didn't get into Duke for the boobs. The first game I played was Total Meltdown back in 1997 or so. I was hooked before I even knew the game had strippers in it. The character, music, and gameplay is what got me hooked.

Edit: The very first thing that made me interested in it was the cover art for the game. That was the most badass-looking cover art I had seen before. It still is, in my opinion, and I doubt they'll ever make another cover art that comes close to it.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 02 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostPikaCommando, on 01 February 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Sheesh, you picky bastards. So what if it's a top-down action rpg? It's still a Duke game after all. Besides, Interceptor always deliver; unfortunately they deliver bugs on launch too but that's another problem. Anyway, Duke lost the FPS market with Forever. He needs a rebirth. A reinvent. Like how Resident Evil was briefly saved with Resident Evil 4.

Wait. Hold it. Stop right there. Resident Evil was doing just fine by and large when RE4 came out. Resident Evil 2 3 and CV were all great games. Resident Evil 4 was good, but it was by no means a necessary reinvention of the series. As both REmake and Resident Evil Zero had shown in the years previous to it's release that the classic formula worked just fine.

Oh yeah, one thing that troubled me is that you all called DNF's joke to be hollowed and lame. I let a 15-year old play Duke Nukem Forever and he very much enjoyed it; loved its humor and boobs and stuff like that. The stuff that made Duke, Duke. It's the same feeling I got when I first played Duke Nukem 3D when I was a teen (until Incubator).

Nobody denies that Duke Nukem 3D had crass and raunchy humor in it. But it wasn't everywhere. You weren't running into tits, vibrators, shit jokes, dick jokes, etc every five minutes. In fact, believe it or not, some of the original game maps are devoid of most anything crass in that regard. Strippers on E1L2, the sex sounds from the end of episode 3. The odd gag or joke sprinkled throughout the rest. (Terminator on Freeway, or the KTIT gag in Fahrenheit.). DNF was immature and crass to such an extreme that it ceased to be amusing, and just became pathetic. The lack of any serious qualities left me wanting severely. I wasn't the least bit invested in saving the twins, the world, anything. Because everyone was a goddamn dumbass. The EDF was loaded with "Broskies" the women were all slutty air heads.

All in all, you guys are forgetting something: Always bet on Duke.

I've been playing Duke since I was eight years old. You don't need to tell me what I need to do regarding Duke. I'll bet on Duke, when I see a game that I can play. Until then, i'm going to shuffle the chips in my hand and see how good Interceptors poker face is.

I actually like some of the ideas being put forth here by what we do know. I just fear them going too far with the dark n' gritty srs bsns tone and losing what made Duke so damn awesome to begin with. It's a balancing act, nothing more. You push the crassness too much, you kill it's power, you go too serious and you lose the audience because there's no levity or joy in anything.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Everyone played Duke Nukem 3D because it was an instant classic that reviewed really well and was ridiculously fun to play. It had an incredible editor, creative weapons, great levels, a silly amount of design innovations (room over rooms, unprecedented interactivity, etc...) and a gave the player a great character to play as. There was nothing like it. The boobs were just a goofy easter egg.

Alright fine, I was wrong. Duke Nukem Forever desensitized me. I will now go on a pilgrimage across all 4 episodes of Duke 3D with a Slimer on my face the whole time.

If only the media back then listened to what you had to say though.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 02 February 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

Edit: The very first thing that made me interested in it was the cover art for the game. That was the most badass-looking cover art I had seen before. It still is, in my opinion, and I doubt they'll ever make another cover art that comes close to it.

Posted Image

Which in itself is a parody on similar cover arts.

Games have always been doing parodies of other famous things.

Posted Image

I'm a fan of both Duke Nukem and Evil Dead, so it doesn't bother me.

Posted Image

User is offline   Kathy 

Of course it's a homage and there is nothing wrong with it, but the awesomeness of cover art goes from Army Of Darkness.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I wish Interceptor all the good will in the world. I'm sure they will make a decent game and it will be good to have another Duke game to play. If it's good, I'll buy it, play it and enjoy it.

I've just been waiting for the last 20 years for a decent, FPS Duke game. After 20 years, we still don't have one, and that is just wrong.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 02 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

User is offline   Kathy 

Besides, Interceptor always deliver

Exactly what did they deliver? Few ports and uneven remake?

This post has been edited by Kathy: 02 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

I am disappoint...
Anyone play Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars? I did... for a few hours... on DS and PSP. If you liked the original GTA 1 and 2, then you probably were in heaven. I did NOT like GTA 1and 2. Just not my kind of game. Grand Theft Auto III came out, and I have played it more than any game in my gaming history. Between all five GTA games on the PS2 (III, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories) I have spent more time playing those games than probably all other games combined.

Once upon a time, back in the Duke Nukem 3D days, I refused to buy Planet of the Babes and Time to Kill because they were STUPID Third Person... one day while searching on Amazon for Duke Action Figures, they had a deal with a Duke Nukem figure (Resaurus) and Time to Kill, pretty cheap, so I got it. I thought it was great... seeing Duke move and being visually "cool" in addition to his normal demeanor of being cool, was actually more comfortable than I expected. Within a week or so I had Planet of the Babes ordered.
The point is that I was a FPS Purist back then. Manhattan Project didn't work well for me however. I never considered it bad, just not my thing.

ONLY because I did like Duke Nukem: Critical Mess uh Mass, and Time to Kill and other non-FPS's of Duke Nukem, do I think this still might work. I am open to it, but just barely. My dream game was Duke Nukem meets GTA III, which never happened and now can't as open world games after PS2, (like GTA IV and V) don't work for me. I seldom use my PS3 for anything other than indie games or other "smaller scope" games... the only exception being Red Dead Redemption and its Undead Nightmare, which I really enjoy. **edit, and PS3 Wolfenstein I have enjoyed ok)

So this is going to have to be pretty darn good to be of any interest to me, but I will give it a chance.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 02 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostX-Vector, on 02 February 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

I really like the look of this game, never heard of it but I'm going to give it a shot, someone posted a link with the game files on the Youtube channel comments section. Something like this could work with Duke I think but I would like to hear what games are inspiring this new top down game.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 02 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostMrBlackCat, on 02 February 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

I am disappoint...
Anyone play Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars? I did... for a few hours... on DS and PSP. If you liked the original GTA 1 and 2, then you probably were in heaven. I did NOT like GTA 1and 2. Just not my kind of game.

Well, unlike you I did enjoy GTA1 - 2 but I really disliked Chinatown wars. :(

View PostMrBlackCat, on 02 February 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

MrBlackCat

Yes... we can see that from the profile name bro...

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostThe Commander, on 02 February 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

Yes... we can see that from the profile name bro...

Letters come out of envelopes with a sender's name and return address, yet they're still signed... what the fuck is the point of whining about the single word last line of what is an otherwise perfectly good post?

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options