Duke4.net Forums: [Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown  "Full mod, not lite version"

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Okay. I'll bite. Why wouldn't you share them publically? I mean, this is huge. This is something that the community has been wanting for many many many years. Is there some reason not to share them?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Its not ready yet.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostCommando Nukem, on 22 January 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Okay. I'll bite. Why wouldn't you share them publically? I mean, this is huge. This is something that the community has been wanting for many many many years. Is there some reason not to share them?

We wouldn't want half assed broken maps spamming the Steam Workshop now would we? :D

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

THANK YOU.

User is offline   NNC 

Just a little question:

I noticed in the new maps that some monsters behave differently. For example the Drones and Pigcops don't have recog sound in Trackside Tragedy. Also, the big bosses use the big 80:80 repeat values instead of the mini 40:40 ones, however they don't end the level. Also, each of the new maps have a different kind of pigcop. The first level has that female one, the third has the zombie one, and the sixth has that weird punk one. Are these actual replacements assigned to the same tile numbers (and used for the actual level only), or do they function as different enemies which can be used in the same level? The tileset indicates the latter, but I thought when played the game that these guys are coded only to work on the actual level.

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostThe Commander, on 22 January 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

We wouldn't want half assed broken maps spamming the Steam Workshop now would we? :D

Once the public knows how to rip the maps themselves, those half-assed broken maps will be out in the wild regardless. That much is inevitable.

I recall seeing Castle Dukenstein on the Steam Workshop and they were asking where the hell it came from. ;)

User is offline   Fox 

View PostNancsi, on 22 January 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

I noticed in the new maps that some monsters behave differently. For example the Drones and Pigcops don't have recog sound in Trackside Tragedy.

Think of the PMP files as if every level had a GRP of its own, that's supposed to have only the art or sounds that are used in that level. However more than often these files are missing several sounds, and as a result they won't play in certain levels. The best example is E4L6, which the Magnum P.I.G. is completely silent.

Also, the big bosses use the big 80:80 repeat values instead of the mini 40:40 ones, however they don't end the level.

In order to save some CPU, they halved the resolution of the Battlelord sprites, and as a result they were forced to double the sizeat. However monsters with a sizeat greater than 60×60 cannot enter small rooms, so they were forced to drastically increase the sizeat of the small bosses...

Also, each of the new maps have a different kind of pigcop. The first level has that female one, the third has the zombie one, and the sixth has that weird punk one. Are these actual replacements assigned to the same tile numbers (and used for the actual level only), or do they function as different enemies which can be used in the same level? The tileset indicates the latter, but I thought when played the game that these guys are coded only to work on the actual level.

They could be used in the same level, but the new pigs are themed after a single level. However the new drone is used in the same level as regular drones.

This post has been edited by Fox: 22 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

• Judge Mental

View PostELFDICK, on 22 January 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

Its not ready yet.

I totally understand that, but that's not exactly how it sounded to me upon first reading it. Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

The new enemies are the most exciting thing out of this (at least for me)

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMetHy, on 22 January 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

The new enemies are the most exciting thing out of this (at least for me)

They're not too interesting, but the artwork for them has been out in the wild for some time now. The strangest was a new drone look that appeared once in the entire episode, and didn't look or act special in anyway (I think it did have new sounds though)

I don't like the idea of keeping the maps to a certain group of people though for an indeterminate time, but it's a complicated situation without the original map author's input.

This post has been edited by James: 22 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostJames, on 22 January 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

I don't like the idea of keeping the maps to a certain group of people though for an indeterminate time, but it's a complicated situation without the original map author's input.

The maps that have been ripped are perfectly accurate as far as PSX is concerned, but not entirely PC-compatible. At this point, the work required to make them PC-compatible is presumed to be minimal, hence the wait should also be minimal.

After discussing it with the team, the basic idea is that they just want to release the maps in the most playable form possible as a nice, complete package. They've also stated that if the wait turns out to be longer than expected, they'll revisit the idea of just releasing them to the public as-is.

My position is that I don't particularly care either way; Both versions of the maps will eventually coexist online. Of course, since I worked independently, I have the capacity to release my own work. But I'd rather not step on their toes over this. I understand their position: when you put a lot of work into something, you don't want it getting out pre-emptively.

I am interested in how all this was ripped after all these years.
Yes I know it was a memory dump, but that's been possible for ages.
So I look forward to reading the story on that.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNukey, on 22 January 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

Once the public knows how to rip the maps themselves, those half-assed broken maps will be out in the wild regardless. That much is inevitable.

The plan is, once I know the full extent of the PMP structure, hmaptool will perform the corrections by default. Getting the "PSX raw data" would have to be specified.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostThe Commander, on 22 January 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

I am interested in how all this was ripped after all these years.
Yes I know it was a memory dump, but that's been possible for ages.
So I look forward to reading the story on that.

The surprising thing is that it was done by independent parts at the same time.

This post has been edited by Fox: 22 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

We wouldn't want half assed broken maps spamming the Steam Workshop now would we? ;)

Didn't Fox say the multiplayer spawns were broken on the maps anyway? Assuming they may or may not be left like that...

View PostNukey, on 22 January 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

Once the public knows how to rip the maps themselves, those half-assed broken maps will be out in the wild regardless. That much is inevitable.I recall seeing Castle Dukenstein on the Steam Workshop and they were asking where the hell it came from. ;)

If you don't want them up there, I can tell them to make their own rips if you really want them to :D

I personally wouldn't like seeing the maps individually on the workshop as they would lose their flair or having custom art and new enemies. I'm sure it flows way better as a whole as an episode. The only map that is like from Total Meltdown is a recreation of Quirk of Fate http://steamcommunit...s/?id=198316446 and Daedolon supplied a gif of how accurate it is: https://dl.dropboxus...e/pmp/quirk.gif

BUT ANYWAY, please do keep up the work, I can't wait to see it all in action. Someone make a YouTube video :D

User is offline   Fox 

I intend to release a version that doesn't require Eduke32. Of course it will lack some features, but it would still be playable on Steam.

HUD:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 22 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Oh cool, I was gonna ask if you were gonna do that Tripmine thing :D

Bloody cheater

This post has been edited by Lunick: 22 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

I had some great days playing link cable on the PSX playing DN: TM

User is offline   Fox 

Finally I managed to rip textures on my own, now I can get the complete set.

We be able to play this fully on megaton?

This post has been edited by The Duke Returns: 23 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostThe Duke Returns, on 23 January 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Wait we be able to play this fully on megaton?

Look a few posts above you, the one with the screenshot.

User is offline   K100 

This is awesome, guys ! I have always wanted to play this episode on pc (I hate the psx port of Duke 3D).

Have you considered talking about this to Devolver or General Arcade ? They could add it to Megaton with the other official addons. (I mean, officially, with achievements and all.)

Anyways, thanks everyone involved in this ! I can't wait ! :D

This post has been edited by K100: 23 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I'd be more interested in seeing their artist make (remake?) the title screen image.

• Judge Mental

I'd love to see someone get in touch with whoever redid the cinematics... AND GET THE MODEL FILES! AHHH!!!! Posted Image (Even if it's just for novelty/curiosity sake, i'd love to see how they were done.)

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 23 January 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

Finally I managed to rip textures on my own, now I can get the complete set.

Wat?

User is offline   Fox 

A guy called Darkus ripped some textures a while ago, now I ripped everything that was left.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 23 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Are the rips of same quality or better?

• Weaponized Autism

You say you ripped everything... IIRC, his method took a while because he had to dump tiles from VRAM that were currently on the screen, hence the incomplete sprite sets.

User is offline   Fox 

Yeah, but now that we have the maps I know what are all the tiles.

View PostLunick, on 23 January 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Are the rips of same quality or better?

I suspect they may be even better.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Now that you know the location of the data in memory, couldn't you just change the tile number of a sprite you know is on screen directly without having to find different maps containing all the tiles?

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options