Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project iOS - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project iOS  "Out Now"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

No its not. Conta, Super C, Turican, Earthworm Jim..... etc are all better. DNMP isn't even in the top ten, Don't get me wrong DNMP is a good game but no where near the best.

Yeah it's got loads of little annoyances like when you're trying to jump on a platform with an enemy there, sometimes you're pushed back so you fall off and die. Not to mention you can only shoot enemies which are on the same straight path segment as you, which means if there's an enemy standing right next to you, but is on a path that's slightly curved to the side, you can't do any damage, and quite often get hurt yourself when you move onto his path to take him out. Not to mention some of the keys and babe bombs are hidden in annoying places. These things are really holding it back from being a truly great game. Otherwise it's quite fun and well balanced.

View PostDiogo, on 09 January 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

I'm feeling somehow that many reviewers criticise Duke Nukem now, saying it's outdated "machismo" and it's not funny anymore, we should treat the ladies better and we're over that and whatever.. I feel sad with that because it almost seems that people don't see games as games anymore. Games now need to be either stupid, cute or serious. Humour is out.

See, that's the problem. Duke was never really about the humour. It was all about the gameplay, at least for the original 3 Duke 3D episodes, not to mention Duke 1 and 2. The humour and references were a bonus. Then DNF comes out and the gameplay sucked, but Gearbox was like "buy our game! Jokes! Nude Women!" so now everyone thinks Duke is just a lame try-hard parody catering to the lowest common denominator. Hopefully if Interceptor is working on a Duke game, that could improve the situation if done properly.

This post has been edited by Plain Simple Garek: 10 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

User is offline   Diogo 

This is off topic but..

We're in the realm of personal taste here - And I'm unable to judge a game without evaluating it from the development standpoint anymore. For me, Metal Slug, for instance, is an out of this world game and a speechless work of art. In fact, we're restoring an old neo geo arcade here in the office to Play it :D

User is offline   Diogo 

Plain Sumple Garek,

I didn't say Duke is all about humour, I agree with your observations.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostDiogo, on 10 January 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

For me, Metal Slug, for instance, is an out of this world game and a speechless work of art. In fact, we're restoring an old neo geo arcade here in the office to Play it :D

I forgot to mention metal slug...... the 3rd ones my favorite. ;)

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostReaperMan, on 10 January 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

No its not. Conta, Super C, Turican, Earthworm Jim..... etc are all better. DNMP isn't even in the top ten, Don't get me wrong DNMP is a good game but no where near the best.

That's debatable, but... Earthworm Jim? Really? :D
PS: Oh, Metal Slug, how could I forget this masterpiece? It certainly among my top 10. Damn I wish it was available on GoG or Steam.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 11 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

User is offline   Diogo 

Yeah Earthworm Jim would not be on my list either :D

Truth is we all have loved less then awesome games.. I know I did eheh!

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostDiogo, on 03 January 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

You realise that some random stranger's respect over the Internet means absolutely nothing to me, right?

This forum is too serious. No sense of humour and too many videogame experts demanding proof.

Enjoy each other, mr. Mod, please delete my account, I'm on my way out.

Go away Posted ImagePosted Image

User is offline   ---- 

View PostArtem Nevinchany, on 11 January 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Go away Posted ImagePosted Image

Late for the Bandwagon?

User is offline   Diogo 

Yes, You're a few days late. Go find another developer :D

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 10 January 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

You should try to contact 3D Realms about Duke Nukem: Zero Hour's source code. It's said to be built on a modified Build Engine. That's the game that needs to be ported. Heck, I would ask about Time to Kill and Land of the Babes, too.

Not true. They just used a hacked form of BUILD to make the level geometry. It's engine has nothing in common with Build.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

What engine did Zero Hour use then?

• Honored Donor

I don't think anyone really knows that, but whatever it is most people can agree the engine is 2.5D like the build/doom engines.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostReaperMan, on 12 January 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

What engine did Zero Hour use then?

It was an in-house engine. The developers had just become accustomed to how easy the BUILD editor was to use.

User is offline   Hank 

another review of the game
http://toucharcade.c...project-review/

He writes: 'For the price, this game is a pretty safe purchase for any fan of Duke or action games. There's a wealth of content here, matched with relatively good production values and gameplay. The original game's design somehow suits mobile platforms to a tee.'

This post has been edited by Hank: 13 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

http://www.148apps.c...project-review/
http://www.pocketgam...iew.asp?c=56546

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostJimmy, on 11 January 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

Not true. They just used a hacked form of BUILD to make the level geometry. It's engine has nothing in common with Build.

I really doubt that's the case. The game is way too similar to Duke 3D in the smallest details.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostFox, on 14 January 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

I really doubt that's the case. The game is way too similar to Duke 3D in the smallest details.

I even thought I saw a visual glitch when I was playing it recently that resembled a common glitch that's seen in Duke Nukem 3D. They also used a few textures from Duke Nukem 3D in the game. This is my favorite texture that they used, because it's disguised as the clouds: Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

The YouTube comments :D

Poor Duke's reputation...

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

That was a review? I think I will decide, that wasn't really a review. I don't give a cwap about your opinion, just the facts ma'am.
Why is "Don't tell me what to think..." so hard to understand for game "reviewers"? There is a difference between sharing your opinion and telling others "what is or is not" about something.
I suppose with more Sheeple than People in todays world, this is how it works though... lost sheeple have to get their opinions from somewhere I suppose.

I am not saying the game didn't suck, but I would have appreciated a LOT more "why" and less "that it just does" attitude.

I don't have any i-products anyway, so I will likely never play this.

Oh well... looked fun enough to me.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 20 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 14 January 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

I even thought I saw a visual glitch when I was playing it recently that resembled a common glitch that's seen in Duke Nukem 3D. They also used a few textures from Duke Nukem 3D in the game. This is my favorite texture that they used, because it's disguised as the clouds: Posted Image

Go to hell. I tought that sky was awesome, now I can't look at it anymore without seeing floating bricks.

User is offline   Lunick 

I'm not sure if you are still with us Diogo but can I get you to clarify something, is this a "port" via source code or is there some kind of emulation/shell going on with it?

This post has been edited by Lunick: 24 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

User is offline   Diogo 

I'm here :(

Clean port using original source code. Compiled for ARM and running natively.

• Honored Donor

Good to know the source code is still available and wasn't lost anyway.

View PostFox, on 20 January 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

Go to hell. I tought that sky was awesome, now I can't look at it anymore without seeing floating bricks.

Got an image for how that sky looked in game?

User is offline   Lunick 

There was a reason why I asked (which I did PM Diogo about)

Posted Image
Posted Image

CEO of Intercepter.

User is offline   Lunick 

A long while since this thread was used. The game is currently free on iOS https://itunes.apple...&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Earthworm Jim is a terrible game, though, and so are most versions of Turrican.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options