Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project iOS - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project iOS  "Out Now"

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Nice cover! maybe it's the hair that is too long, but that's being nitpicky.

Welcome Diogo. Too bad there isn't an android version since I don't use iOS or own any device that uses it. Would've loved to have it on my phone.

User is offline   Diogo 

There are no plans to port it to Android afaik. This does not mean it wont happen.

Duke has changed a bit over the years. Same as everybody :D you can see this easily, google it. We did our research and paid a lot of attention to his look but ultimately the artist's vision and personal taste also takes a role. We ended up very Happy with this final look. Compared to Forever he looks more robust, stronger, rougher, more adult. More bad ass.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Definitely looks less douchy.i wish his hair length was shorter, though. Still a slight frat-boy level of douche to him. But it is definitely an improvement over Forever's Duke.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 January 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

Definitely looks less douchy.i wish his hair length was shorter, though. Still a slight frat-boy level of douche to him. But it is definitely an improvement over Forever's Duke.

Attached Image: Duke-Nukem-Zero-Hour-V (1).jpg

The best. IMHO.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If there are any codes for this left could I please have one so I can try it out on my iPhone and iPad?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostxMobilemux, on 04 January 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

I can't unsee that zit on his left cheek :D

Ah..... now you ruined it.

User is offline   Diogo 

Hi,

Lunik asked me if there are any IAPs (In-App Purchases) in DNMP and I decided to answer it here so everybody knows.

There are several IAPs in the game. DNMP has a "Store" in which people can buy consumables and non-consumables such as weapons, ammo and health.

The IMPORTANT thing about the store is that nothing is required to play the game. We haven't made any changes to the game to incentivise people to buy this stuff. People buy if they want.

The X3000 for instance, can be bought there. It is a special weapon that can only be obtained by completing the original game in HARD. Since not many people will do that to get the X3000, we decided to put it for sale.

Bottom line is: There's a store, people buy if they want. We wouldn't make people buy hidden stuff in an already paid game (although LOTS of games do just that).

This post has been edited by Diogo: 06 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

• Honored Donor

Just tried out the first level on iPad 3 (thanks for the code Diogo), and while I imagine the smaller screen size of the iPhone would make the controls more congested, on the iPad at least it feels very fluid and natural. Like he said you don't really have to think about it. Having said that though having an update with adjustable size and transparency, but also position (like moving the controls up and down the screen or to the side, whilst having default as an option) would also be nice.

Framerate is also very smooth, except perhaps the occasional explosion which causes some slight lag (but it was only really noticeable just once so I'm not bothered by it).

As I suspected the game plays very well on mobile devices due its 2D nature. One issue I'm having is that I'm not sure how to save in the game. It's not mentioned anywhere, only a "load" option, and I can't remember how it saved in the original, probably automatically and only at certain points. But I've definitely progressed far enough that something should have popped up in the load menu by now instead of being blank.

So how do I save? Hopefully the game will let me save whenever I want and not just at the start of each section.
Other options which I'd suggest for the game would be the ability to skip levels, and maybe an "action mode" which removes the need to find the bomb and keycard in each level, allowing you to focus purely on the shooting action which some minor platforming (as I remember being extremely frustrated at some points in the game with well hidden keycards/bombs). I might even be willing to pay in-app purchases for those options if it was the only choice.

User is offline   Diogo 

First, thanks for your review!

Controls:
We're working as we speak on some options regarding the controls. Size, transparency and position.

Saves:
The game uses chekpoints and auto-saves. It auto-saves when you quit - just press the home button and load the game next time if you kill it meanwhile. Most of the time, if you don't kill it, you can return to the game and resume playing.

Store:
It is possible to skip levels using the store :D
There's an IAP called "Skip Level" for that. This is intended for exceptional cases, where a player can't find the way out.

• Honored Donor

Ah I see, the skip level thing is in the powerup menu, whereas I was looking at the guns and ammo section and didn't realize there was another section despite the big letters Posted Image. That sorts that out then.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I'm suffering from long load times and horrible framerate, I bet it's because I have an Iphone 4 and it didn't say it was supported.

User is offline   Diogo 

Yup.

It works on the iPhone 4 but it's a bit sluggish. It really needs a dual-core CPU:

- iPhone 4S and later
- iPod touch 5 gen
- iPad 2 and later
- iPad mini (any)

Sorry.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Oh well got it for free, thanks by the way, I'll play it when I upgrade.

User is online   Lunick 

https://itunes.apple...ect/id663811684 It's available now.

User is offline   Diogo 

Thanks, was about to post that :D

User is online   Lunick 

Going to port anything else in the future? :D

User is offline   Diogo 

Well, there are few games that we'd like to port and we're thinking on that... nothing solid right now. If an interesting game comes along and we want to work in it, we'll do it. We have a few games in mind, only time will tell.

Right now we're also discussing an entirely new game and a new Crazy Bikers (our IP). Crazy Bikers 2 has 5 million downloads (Freemium) and there's so much stuff that can be done to make it so much better and fun... It's not an hardcore game but has some addictive gameplay and fits nicely on smartphones / tablets.

• Honored Donor

So no Duke games then? Not that there's really anything left to port, unless we start bringing out the console games.

User is online   Lunick 

Well I must say, this is better than the Duke Nukem 2 "port" is. The game plays fine and the controls don't look scary on an iPad Mini, performance was perfect too. Still, physical controls would be better than touch controls for a game like this.

Posted Image

I think some of the in-app purchases are rather "cheap" though with what they offer...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Although I like the older visuals, I think a game like this deserves some kind of HRP/HD upgrade for it.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 09 January 2014 - 05:08 AM

• Honored Donor

Would a HRP really be worth the effort? (I'm not sure how many art assets there are compared to Duke 3D, I imagine a lot of the content is reused), and would higher res textures affect performance?

User is offline   Diogo 

Hum... an HRP would probably work better for DNMP than DN3D... The characters could use a bit more geometry though..

What I would like to see is an entirely new "DNMP", I like the gameplay a lot. But I'm feeling somehow that many reviewers criticise Duke Nukem now, saying it's outdated "machismo" and it's not funny anymore, we should treat the ladies better and we're over that and whatever.. I feel sad with that because it almost seems that people don't see games as games anymore. Games now need to be either stupid, cute or serious. Humour is out.

It was a woman, I think, that wrote most of Duke's punchy lines...

User is online   Lunick 

I think some of the environments themselves could use a little more geometry, like those doors that have painted on handles... Maybe a sequel would be better.

User is offline   Diogo 

Yeap, that's the problem with the HRPs...

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

You should try to contact 3D Realms about Duke Nukem: Zero Hour's source code. It's said to be built on a modified Build Engine. That's the game that needs to be ported. Heck, I would ask about Time to Kill and Land of the Babes, too.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 10 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Those games were all done by external developers. 3DR is not likely to have dev assets.

User is offline   Diogo 

Yes and licensing stuff can be complicated too with several companies involved. This little detail sometimes is a big detail. But I don't know the status, I'm just speculating.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostHendricks266, on 10 January 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

Those games were all done by external developers. 3DR is not likely to have dev assets.

I know, but that would be a good place to start. 3D Realms would probably know who to contact about it from those other companies. I think N-Space is still in business.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 10 January 2014 - 06:37 AM

They are still around here's their website http://n-space.com/n....com/Games.html

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostDiogo, on 09 January 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

Hum... an HRP would probably work better for DNMP than DN3D... The characters could use a bit more geometry though..

What I would like to see is an entirely new "DNMP", I like the gameplay a lot. But I'm feeling somehow that many reviewers criticise Duke Nukem now, saying it's outdated "machismo" and it's not funny anymore, we should treat the ladies better and we're over that and whatever.. I feel sad with that because it almost seems that people don't see games as games anymore. Games now need to be either stupid, cute or serious. Humour is out.

It was a woman, I think, that wrote most of Duke's punchy lines...

=\

DNMP is the best platform shooter out there (to this day) and if all that these so-called "critics" can think of is about "machismo", then these people are idiots boarding on the DNF hate bandwagon. This isn't DNF, his one-liners were actually badass and relevant, the gameplay is actually fun (with secrets, collectibles, jetpacks and, specially, destructible scenarios) with variated levels (from Manhattan rooftops to dance clubs to underground bases to space laboratories)

PS: and other stuff like the original Ego system, the flying kick, being able to hold ledges, double jump, etc...

Kinda off-topic now, but this post made me think about something: I wouldn't need much to be happy with Duke Forever, just a FPS version of DNMP would be enough (altough the features promised in 1998/2001 would be awesome).

This post has been edited by LkMax: 10 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostLkMax, on 10 January 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

DNMP is the best platform shooter out there (to this day).....

No its not. Conta, Super C, Turican, Earthworm Jim..... etc are all better. DNMP isn't even in the top ten, Don't get me wrong DNMP is a good game but no where near the best.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options