Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project iOS - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project iOS  "Out Now"

Oh snap. Duke 4 claims another developer.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Fine by me, at least the general arcade dude doesn't act like an ass.

View PostDiogo, on 03 January 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

You realise that some random stranger's respect over the Internet means absolutely nothing to me, right?

This forum is too serious. No sense of humour and too many videogame experts demanding proof.

Enjoy each other, mr. Mod, please delete my account, I'm on my way out.

Get off your high horse, kid, and show some respect to your bosses. We are the ones you work for. You know that, right?

You make a game we like, we buy it, you get paid, you keep being able to eat.
You make a game we don't like and respond to criticism by trolling, we don't buy your game, your company gets shut down and you're on your way to a future of flipping burgers.

Easy choice.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 03 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostAltered Reality, on 03 January 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

And from the look of it, the touchscreen controls are absolutely horrible. This might explain why Scott "leave the ship before it sinks" Miller uses the $100 add-on controller.

You can probably get away with this kind of open kneejerk hostility when it's sequestered away in a thread like this thread was a few hours ago, but now things are different.

View PostDiogo, on 03 January 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

Seriously, try it. I know people like to beat the dead horse, not liking Duke Nukem is fashion now since Forever... Actually, this is the best Duke Nukem for a smartphone / tablet. It's easy to see why.

This reads a little bit like advertising, what with the "best" being stated as fact. Is there a link to a demo of some sort?

View PostThe Commander, on 03 January 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

Is it on Android?

No...

It sucks.

The very first reply to a new user, and a developer no less, is to make a sarcastic joke with no textual indication that it's not meant literally.

View PostDiogo, on 03 January 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

I agree, Android sucks..

That's not what he was saying...

View PostThe Commander, on 03 January 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Now as most others have said, the controls look horrible. So instead of just posting "I just want to say that the controls don't suck" post some sort of evidence of this.

Finally, a constructive response!

View PostThe Commander, on 03 January 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

We are all the real critics here so you need to convince us.

And it all falls down. How about "We would prefer to see evidence that will convince us otherwise.".

View PostDukeNukem64, on 03 January 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

Oh my god I just lost all of my respect for you. Seriously, that was just childish as hell.

Speak for yourself. This post doesn't contribute anything, and in fact it's hard to tell you who are talking to, and give no explanation of why that could make things better.

View PostDiogo, on 03 January 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

I think I'm being charged with failed humour attempt or something... My intentions were to smoothly establish a conversation and offer you guys a promo code so you could try for yourself instead of looking at some pictures on the internet. Anyway, it seems that you already decided so, never mind, it would be a waste of a Promo Code.

The most active and vocal members here tend to be the roughest. Perhaps with a less advertising approach you would have gotten luckier with your response. Maybe the promo code right off the bat, saying "try for yourself".

Some members make a game out of being hostile, since they feel comfortable strutting their stuff around here even though they haven't learned real-world civility and decent conduct.

View PostAltered Reality, on 03 January 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

Get off your high horse, kid, and show some respect to your bosses. We are the ones you work for. You know that, right?

so entitlement
such rude
very hypocrisy
wow

View PostAltered Reality, on 03 January 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Awwww, babbeh's first troll. How cute.

Don't harass the devs and kick them around. Violates the forum guidelines. "Respect other members".

Keep it classy, Duke4.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostReaperMan, on 03 January 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

Exactly what I was thinking.
Some should link these comments on the app store page for it. (if you can even do that)

View PostHendricks266, on 03 January 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

Don't harass the devs and kick them around. Violates the forum guidelines. "Respect other members".

If that was enforced nearly everyone would of been banned by now.

User is offline   LkMax 

Is there any proof this guy is the actual developer anyway? "Coz, ya know, this is the internetz..."

• Weaponized Autism

View PostReaperMan, on 03 January 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

He's taken plenty of shit from the forum with considerable patience and humility. You can't expect everyone to respond so excellently when attacked so viciously (unprovoked) by the Duke4 peanut gallery.

View PostThe Commander, on 03 January 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

Some should link these comments on the app store page for it. (if you can even do that)

Mmm, vigilante justice, because you beat up a new user and he didn't know how to respond with magnanimity.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLkMax, on 03 January 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

Is there any proof this guy is the actual developer anyway? "Coz, ya know, this is the internetz..."

Valid question.

User is online   Lunick 

Well...

Posted Image

I think I will shell out the $2 for it to see how it controls on my iPad Mini or possibly my iPod Touch. Too bad you guys scared him off though so I can't get it for free so thanks for that.

View PostHendricks266, on 03 January 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

That's not what he was saying...

Exactly, that was not what he was saying so he turned it around on him.

View PostLunick, on 03 January 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

Too bad you guys scared him off though so I can't get it for free so thanks for that.

You're Welcome.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostReaperMan, on 03 January 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

You're Welcome.

I could never stay mad at you.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostHendricks266, on 03 January 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

He's taken plenty of shit from the forum with considerable patience and humility.

termit is awesome. I feel like a jerk for ragging on GA so hard when Megaton was announced (though some of the criticisms were warranted, I just could have been less of a dick.) I'm glad termit is in the community, my fear was that the developers on Megaton were just trying to turn a quick buck and didn't actually care about the product. General Arcade cares.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I fully agree, even termit took the time to PM me about issues about Megaton.

View PostLunick, on 03 January 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

Too bad you guys scared him off though so I can't get it for free so thanks for that.

Oh, come on. That was just an attempt to instill guilt in us. "There, see what you made me do? I wanted to give you something for free, instead I'm just taking my ball and running home!"
Had he actually planned to post a promo code, he would have posted it immediately when he said "try it", instead of just saying "the controls don't suck", "it's the best Duke game for a mobile device", "Android sucks" and so on.

Do you want something for free? What about the ability to play DNMP in stereoscopic 3D on your PC (provided you already have stereoscopic drivers like nVidia or Tridef, and of course, a pair of shutterglasses or a head-mounted display to view stereoscopic content)?
There's an OpenGL to Direct3D 9 wrapper called Qindie GL. Just copy the included opengl32.dll file into your DNMP directory, use the included .reg file to apply the required registry modifications, set the game renderer to OpenGL and you're ready to go! The wrapper will translate the OpenGL calls to Direct3D 9, which will be intercepted by the stereoscopic drivers, and you will be able to enjoy DNMP in stereoscopy! Hard to do that on a mobile device (although, DNMP for 3DS would be cool, and the controls would be certainly better than on an Iphone/pod/pad/whatever).

P.S.
Before anyone asks: that wrapper will not allow Duke3D to be played in stereoscopy. The OpenGL renderer of EDuke32 contains many calls to functions that Qindie GL does not support, so, if you copy the wrapper's DLL into the same directory as the EDuke32 executable, the only result will be EDuke32 crashing when you run it.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 04 January 2014 - 05:13 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

People could have been a bit nicer to the guy when he showed up for the first time. There wasn't even so much as a hello or a welcome.

But when you think about it, even ignoring what he said, he did pretty much go from planning to give a free code, from negatively judging an entire forum and leaving forever based on 4 mild posts from 3 members, over a period 2 hours.

You gotta give him credit for making the effort of signing up here, and like Lunick I might fork out the $2 to get it (but I'll wait for his 'review' in case it unexpectedly super sucks), but being so completely unable to take criticism, and jumping ship at the first sign of trouble really makes you wonder how passionate he is about the game and the franchise. So much for someone who "doesn't care what other people think about him on the internet".

Edit: It'd be great if he could come back and explain the reasons behind why he thinks it's a great port, and if we offer suggestions he could implement them in updates, but based on the underlying context of his responses I just don't see it happening.

This post has been edited by Plain Simple Garek: 04 January 2014 - 05:27 AM

User is offline   Diogo 

Ok, I've read some very reasonable posts and was invited to try again. So, I'm trying to do that.

Hello, my name is Diogo and I'm from Spawn Studios, the company that ported (and is publishing) the game.

I took the time to register here because I felt that there are some very keen fans of Duke that would like to know about this port AND because some wrong assumptions were being made using some picture from the internet.

The photo that the OP posted was not about Scott Miller not being able to play DNMP on iOS and decided to bought a 100USD controller "because the interface sucks."
In fact that's my hand in the photo, I sent it to Scott and that's a test device here in the office. The photo was intended for him to see how the game looked with the Moga controller. Had I knew he was about to post it on Facebook, I would have taken a better picture without those pesky lamp reflections. When he posted it on Facebook, I believe, was to demonstrate a new possibility - the possibility to play it with the new iOS7 controllers.

About the interface:

Scott actually (and many, many other people) TRIED the game and say that it plays really well. Ok, that's subjective but it is the majority's opinion. It must count for something. I invite you to read what he said about it on the press release:

http://spawnstudios....ess_Release.pdf

“I’m so impressed by how well DNMP was adapted to the iPhone and iPad in particular,” said Miller. “I am such a stickler for controls, and this game has a very short learning curve before the controls become second nature.”

The function of an interface is to receive input and trigger actions. The main goal when designing it was to be as natural as possible and not getting in the way. The goal is to allow people to do whatever they intend without having to "think" and "look" at the buttons. It is to become second nature.

No one can know if an interface sucks or not before trying it. It is not a matter of style, it is a matter of function.

Having said that, I know it could be prettier on the screenshots. But that's not the point as I explained above. However, we don't want to give people reasons to complain so in the next update you will be able to adjust the size and transparency of the buttons. In our experience making them smaller lowers the "hit rate", but hey, then no one can complain then.

EDIT: I have 5 Promo codes to give away. I won't post them here because they'll be taken by someone not participating in this discussion. PM me if you're interested.

Diogo.

Reading my comment again I feel horrible. Good luck Diogo, I might buy it for my iPad when someday when released. I actually want to thank you for giving me a duke game for my iPad. Duke nukem from IE was fine but MP was my favourite. :D

User is offline   Diogo 

View PostDukeNukem64, on 04 January 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Reading my comment again I feel horrible. Good luck Diogo, I might buy it for my iPad when someday when released. I actually want to thank you for giving me a duke game for my iPad. Duke nukem from IE was fine but MP was my favourite. :D

No harm done. Thanks!

I can send you a promo code if you want to play it now.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I have 6 physical copies of Manhattan Project and have it on Steam and GoG, would love a promo code for the iOS since I'm not that eager to buy another copy. Good Luck though :D

User is offline   Diogo 

Six copies?!

PM me, I'll send you a promo code.

Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Cool art. Should've been the cover art for DNF.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Pretty cool. The face on that looks familiar. Hmm.

User is online   Lunick 

I dunno, something about Duke doesn't look right.

I can't unsee that zit on his left cheek :D

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

That probably supposed to be his ear lobe.

[quote name='xMobilemux' timestamp='1388892717' post='180645']
Posted Image
Nice Pic I like it

This post has been edited by The Duke Returns: 04 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Biff Nukem: Butthead Project.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Say hi to your mom for me.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options