Duke4.net Forums: The YANG thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The YANG thread  "Discuss the YANG multiplayer launcher for EDuke32 here"

User is offline   Skulldog 

View PostNY00123, on Jul 30 2009, 03:00 AM, said:

Hey Skulldog, I think I've figured out by accident what's the reason for the crash or hang.
Does that occur only when the room is *not* advertised?

yes, that was fast.

One of the things I have wanted to do is set up a site with a list of easy to install/play mods for YANG.

Each zip will have exactly 4 files.

Nameofmod.GRP
Nameofmod.CON
Nameofmod.TXT
Nameofmod Eduke32.bat

To play mod in yang select

Nameofmod.GRP
Nameofmod.CON

PLAY

I have 8 Mods like this ATM, and I am uploading them, It would be cool if when I am done there could be some kind of link on YANG or some info on your site?

EDIT:

Here is a list

http://wg.duke4.net/TCS/WGRealms.zip
http://wg.duke4.net/TCS/ADG.zip
http://wg.duke4.net/TCS/Daikarin.zip
http://wg.duke4.net/TCS/NYR.zip
http://wg.duke4.net/TCS/TFC.zip
http://wg.duke4.net/TCS/WGSpace.zip
http://wg.duke4.net/TCS/Grune.zip
http://wg.duke4.net/TCS/DoomDuke.zip

To play on YANG, Extract the CON and GRP to your main dir and MOD dir.

Select
Nameofmod.GRP
Nameofmod.CON

Play.

It would be great if the list would grow over time. With the same simple formula.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 31 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

I made a small site for the mods.

http://wg.duke4.net/TCS/

Maybe you can add something about it in YANG.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 02 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

User is offline   NY00123 

Hmm... actually, while I don't promise I'll do it (shouldn't promise anything not yet done),
I may change the way MODs can be used.
For instance, maybe I'd let you have "MOD profiles", each of them with associated MOD files.
I haven't even begun working on it so I don't know how would that work.

Your solution does work with YANG v0.54, of course. It's just not clear regarding future releases.

Maybe you can emphasize in some way that it's for version 0.54, and may not work with future releases of YANG.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 03 August 2009 - 01:32 AM

User is offline   Mateos 

WG, I can upload 1999/2000 TC, I've made some time ago a GRP&CON version that I played a lot with my friends. Ok ?

Sure upload it and I will add to the list. :blink: Is it COOP or DM ?

I have also added 2 other mods to the list, DukeTournament and Premium TC.

User is offline   Mateos 

It's a coop TC, and here a link :
http://www.filefront...9-2000%20TC.rar

This post has been edited by Mateos: 04 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

Uploaded
http://wg.duke4.net/TCS/

I made a few changes just to make sure it works.

EDIT: Just played it coop, good stuff! (y)

This post has been edited by William Gee: 04 August 2009 - 02:57 AM

NY00123, are you going to add dosbox Blood and Redneck Rampage to YANG?

User is offline   Mateos 

View PostSkulldog, on Aug 7 2009, 06:39 AM, said:

NY00123, are you going to add dosbox Blood and Redneck Rampage to YANG?

Already asked, will be, like on Dukonnector.

Lets say shortly that I've considered adding Blood. Maybe some other game or two, I don't know.

Now, maybe it's a good time to ask you all something different.
I really think that MOD support should be improved. Now you basically drop all files in a single dir and then choose the relevant files.
With a lot of MODs, this is not really convenient.

The basic idea I have for another implementation, is to use the concept of MOD profiles.
Basically, you'd choose a MOD in a list. Each MOD would have associated MOD files.

Now it's still not enough to actually define how would that work. Here's a possible implementation:

* Each MOD profile will be recognized by a directory name. For instance, assuming your DN3D MOD dir is c:\dn3dmods,
a MOD titled "WGRealms" will be stored in c:\dn3dmods\WGRealms.
Note that there are operating systems like Linux with case-sensitive file systems!
That is, WGRealms is NOT the same as wgrealms on Linux.

* In such a dir, all MOD files will be stored. These can be ART, MID, GRP, ZIP and the like.
On launch of EDuke32 I can just add the MOD dir using -game_dir argument. May work with other source ports as well.
For ones which don't support the use of -game_dir with *full* path, or if they don't even support it,
I'd make temporary copies of all files in the source port dir, or at least the files that don't overwrite other existing files.

* It still won't define which 'special' files like CON and GRP to load (using arguments like /x and /g).
This should be specified in YANG. In there you'd also be able to determine the *order* of loading them.
Of course GRPs and ZIPs should be the latest in the list of command line arguments
(or at least that's what I remember that should be done with certain source ports).

What do you think about it?
Remember that what I'm saying doesn't have to be Duke-specific!
There's Shadow Warrior, and maybe some other game to be supported in the future.

User is offline   Mateos 

The problem with directory is that you'll have all your mods in double, mean in the folder and with the EXE...

Hum, it's my opinion... I'll not have suffisant space for this.

Edit :
Maybe a feature idea for EDuke32 : on mod startin' it copy the files with the eduke32.exe, and when game close it autodelete the files. Why not ? :blink:

This post has been edited by Mateos: 07 August 2009 - 03:14 AM

Problem is that some MODs are distributed in that way, and others are not.
Oh and eduke32.exe is less relevant for non-Windows users. This is the case if you use YANG and if you don't use.

Now, if I understand you correctly, the main space issue is the single eduke32.exe file coming with each MOD.
It shouldn't increase the amount of space used, as long as I can use -game_dir with one global associated eduke32 executable.

EDIT: Maybe, just maybe, for each MOD profile, I can let you force the usage of a certain source port executable
(you'd need to specify which source port (EDuke32, xDuke etc), as well as the exe).
If it's in the same MOD dir, obviously files won't be copied anyway.

Problem: The GRP file. And no you don't really know where it is.
On Linux for instance, it can be stored in /usr/share/games/eduke32, and not the current dir where you're executing EDuke32 from.
However, the GRP can also be specified as an exception, like the source port.
For EDuke32 you won't even need to copy it if I remember correctly, and I can simply supply a full path to the GRP file.
For other ports, may need to copy it... any legal issues you see with that? (Think of "software piracy"; Yes it might be considered piracy)

Now one more thing which may complicate stuff is relative paths in MODs... I guess I can just copy these as well if needed, recursively.

... As you can see, it becomes quite complicated. And different MODs come in different forms.
I really think a simple solution is to use MOD profiles with dirs (and extra profile files in them for special files like CONs and GRPs),
and just use a common source port executable configured in YANG.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 07 August 2009 - 03:40 AM

View PostMateos, on Aug 7 2009, 01:49 AM, said:

Already asked, will be, like on Dukonnector.

LOL, Dukeconnector can't even find it's own ip address, Much less start a lan game.
Could be a Windows Vista problem. I'll just wait till NY00123 gets around to adding
these other games.

User is offline   Mateos 

View PostSkulldog, on Aug 7 2009, 05:03 PM, said:

LOL, Dukeconnector can't even find it's own ip address, Much less start a lan game.
Could be a Windows Vista problem. I'll just wait till NY00123 gets around to adding
these other games.

Well, if you don't know how use it it's not my problem... And for now YANG is better.

View PostMateos, on Aug 7 2009, 06:13 AM, said:

The problem with directory is that you'll have all your mods in double, mean in the folder and with the EXE...

Hum, it's my opinion... I'll not have suffisant space for this.

Edit :
Maybe a feature idea for EDuke32 : on mod startin' it copy the files with the eduke32.exe, and when game close it autodelete the files. Why not ? :blink:

No, you don't have to have all your mods in double, Not my problem if you don't know how to use directories with eduke32.
NY00123 is right about the Tc in a folder of it's Own. When the TC has alot of files it should have it's own. If it is a Tc/Mods
with only a Grp file or with a Con file it should go to a mods directory with all the other Grp files, with other Tc/Mods.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 07 August 2009 - 10:58 AM

And here's again why it can be messy :blink:
I mean, certain TCs with their own folders, others simply by CON and GRP.

So what I may do if nothing changes in the plans, is to use folders,
but let you decide which CON, GRP (and ZIP and DEF depending on source port) files to load, and in which order.

Ok, I got Dukconnector to work. Windows live onecare was not still blocking even after I allowed it.
after reboot it started. I was able to start a Blood Multiplayer match with dosbox. and Load single
player maps with it. Only one problem was if you chose a map it tries to load multiplayer maps with
the Command Line Commit.exe -map mapname. This does not work. It does copy the map to folder,
but you can't load maps in Multiplayer with commit.exe -map in Blood. Which brings me to my point.

Ny00123, If, or when you get around to addiing Blood with dosbox the correct way to load maps
in Multiplayer is as follows.

Host pc will use a Game.ini file, with a format of:

The format is:

[options]
Online = commit
Online service to use. Use commit if service emulates commit.
GameType=1
1 = Cooperative
2 = Bloodbath
3 = Teams
EpisodeID=0
Episode. Zero based
LevelID=0
Level within episode. Zero based
GameDifficulty=2
0 = STILL KICKING
1 = PINK ON THE INSIDE
2 = LIGHTLY BROILED
3 = WELL DONE
4 = EXTRA CRISPY
MonsterSettings=0
0 = None
1 = Bring 'em on
2 = Respawn
WeaponSettings=1
0 = Do not Respawn
1 = Are Permanent
2 = Respawn
3 = Respawn with Markers
ItemSettings=1
0 = Do not Respawn
1 = Respawn
2 = Respawn with Markers
RespawnSettings=0
0 = At Random Locations
1 = Close to Weapons
2 = Away from Enemies
UserMapName = mymap.map
File name of user map to use
UserMap = 1
0 = Ignore user map
1 = Use user Map. Episode and Level are ignored.

The Host command line would be:

commit -pname Playername -getopt game.ini

All other Players joining command line Would just be:

commit -pname Playername

You would just have to copy map to main folder and somehow change/rewrite the mapname in the
game.ini for the host ,and just copy the map to the main folder to everybody else that joins.
And do all that dosbox magic with ipx like you do with duke, and shadow warrior with dosbox.
Also need to change number of players in commit.dat

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 10 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

Hey,

Thanks for telling me about that information. As I'm not a Blood player I didn't know that :blink:

On to other news, YANG v0.57 has been released. See the website at my signature for details and downloads.

Something Ive been meaning to ask for is the ability to turn friendly fire on and of from YANG.

I recall it's impossible with the current source ports. Anybody may correct me if I'm wrong, though.

User is offline   Harlock 

I just donwloaded version 0.57 and must say i like nearly everything, but i don't like one change: the way the new gui looks. Before it was much better with the ability to connect manually on the front gui. When i play with my friends i don't advertise my room and before it was really easy to join my server from the front page if you had saved it. Now you have to fiddle around in the menus... what's the purpose of this change? The manual connect was fine where it was and didn't bother on the front page ihmo.

Now I've heard multiple opinions about it.
From what I've heard (two users or more, including you Harlock), while you prefer that it'd be in the main window,
at least one other user preferred it to not be there. Would that be a time to start a vote? :blink:
Also, now there's another table as you can see, so the main window would be bigger if there was also the manual join in there.

BTW, as a short-cut, you can press ALT+A and then J from within the main window.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 11 August 2009 - 08:24 AM

User is offline   HellFire 

View PostHarlock, on Aug 11 2009, 01:12 PM, said:

I just donwloaded version 0.57 and must say i like nearly everything, but i don't like one change: the way the new gui looks. Before it was much better with the ability to connect manually on the front gui. When i play with my friends i don't advertise my room and before it was really easy to join my server from the front page if you had saved it. Now you have to fiddle around in the menus... what's the purpose of this change? The manual connect was fine where it was and didn't bother on the front page ihmo.

I agree, the old way was simply better, please put it back NY.

An always ready check box would be nice. I like the Ready button too, but I just don't like having
to hit the ready button everytime.

Lol, and when you hit the ready button it should play duke saying Ready for action.

It would be cool to add Buildgame Themes later down the road, or not. But first it
must have all the buildgames Hint Hint.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 11 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

User is offline   Harlock 

Ok, now i see what you mean. Well it doesn't bother me because i always use YANG maximized, but it could get in the way of other users. Still i think manual connect would make more sense on the front gui. YANG is a serverbrowser after all and that's its main functionality, so i think the most important features should be visible at first glance.

just my 69 cents

So, lets hope that the possible debates regarding where to put the manual join stuff will be over, considering this...

YANG v0.58 has been released. A new feature is password-protected rooms.
It should be easier to use than the "Manual Join" with IP addresses.
From now on, "Manual Join" is recommended for local (LAN) games only.

View PostSkulldog, on Aug 11 2009, 09:20 PM, said:

An always ready check box would be nice. I like the Ready button too, but I just don't like having
to hit the ready button everytime.

Well, imagine yourself being the host of a room, with someone being "auto-ready" but doing something else? :blink:
Also, I recommend you to read the following as I've seen this is relevant to you.

NOTICE: I'm aware of an issue a few people have with hosting, mainly with advertising the room.
One noticeable phenomenon is a lot of trials to advertise the room.
Another one is that the IP of one of the server lists is incorrectly detected to be your external IP.

I made a few tests with someone, who had this problem after changing router and/or ISP
(don't remember exactly at the moment), and figured out it may happen due to the fact that,
the server lists are both hosted on port number 8000.

So, at some point, hopefully soon, I may ask Rep to try hosting on different port numbers,
hoping that would solve the issues for you.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 12 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Good to know. I was woundering why, I was showing up as France instead of USA. LOL

NY00123, can you add a master sever program for lan games over hamachi. Like the one that you can download
for Dukconnector. Ablility to advertise a lan game without master server would be even better.

I've added this to the to-do list.

I see now that you suggest two options. One is to advertise LAN games like in Dukonnector.

The other is to get your own server list and configure it everywhere.
Well, for that to work, you can, in theory, get the server list software I use (if I provide it as an executable).
But then you'd need to know the Hamachi IP address of the server, along with a port number.
And add it as a server list in YANG (which wouldn't work when Hamachi is down, but I guess that isn't a great issue).

Also note that, my server list is a textual program. Like the servers of modern games.
Settings like port number should be saved in some configuration file of the list, and not really set from within the server list.

I guess the main reason for suggestion that, is that you and other people prefer to not go to the menu and click "Join a room manually".
You can also press Alt+A and then J as a short cut, and afterwards, double-click a saved Hamachi IP address of some host.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 20 August 2009 - 04:10 AM

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options