Duke4.net Forums: The YANG thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The YANG thread  "Discuss the YANG multiplayer launcher for EDuke32 here"

User is offline   LoWang 

Hello, I have one issue - eDuke just does not work <_< I am not sure if it's the problem of YANG, because more like it seems like eDuke issue. We have been trying to play a game yesterday for many times and players either got stuck in the loading menu or they connected and after about 100super fast deaths the game crashed. It seems to happen with whatever map and whatever host.
Someone told me it is HRP, so I renamed autoplay folder and launched the game that way without HRP - the game did not crash, but it was like we both played single player in own instance of a map.
Does it work for you? Is it worth trying to get to work? I like the eduke real 3D renderer much more then xDuke :-\

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Sounds like the host/clients aint all using the same version of EDuke32. Or you are starting that game wrong.

Always use the same version.

http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthes...100320-1619.zip

User is offline   LoWang 

I am pretty sure we used the same version. There are more people having this problem. It seems I will have to play rather xDuke :-\
http://duke3d.org/fo...topic.php?t=244

Well of course it wont work if you are trying to run it in master/slave mode as it's no longer supported.
It is now Server/Client.

User is offline   LoWang 

Well I am sorry but why don't you actually try it before you say nonsense like this? There is just one checkbox in YANG room options - User server/client mode instead of legacy P2P. Do you think we are so stupid we haven't had it checked? We also tested older build of eDuke with this unchecked (legacy peer to peer mode) and it also does not work - everyone in his own single player. I guess I will just play xDuke online and save eDuke for some LAN party because it works on LAN...

The problem is on your end because I know it works because my mod is a MP only mod and I am testing it with every new version of EDuke32 released and have had no problems.

User is offline   Replica 

Today we released a new version of YANG.
For more information on the NEWS and more about the changes the official YANG site is at
http://www.multi-players-zone.com/yang

09/04/2010
Bugfix release: YANG v0.83.

* Following the new Server/Client EDuke32 support added in the previous YANG release, the command line syntax has been fixed for the UDP port : EDuke32 servers will now use the UDP port configured in YANG, and the clients will be able to connect properly to them.
* Finally fixed a long standing bug, where when inside a gameroom, the host and clients ping refreshing operations would stop working, after a client would leave the gameroom exactly while being pinged by the host.
* Also fixed a mistake about the user map file's copy/symlink and delete operations for DOS Descent 2, D1X-Rebirth and D2X-Rebirth only, where mission files would not be copied or would even be deleted from the "missions" subdirectory : if you had some bad experiences about your mission files being deleted, and are scared of it, don't worry because it won't happen anymore ... sorry for any inconvenience.

User is offline   Evilsniper 

Hi all,
I am new hear, I have been playing Duke since it came out. So has my brother. We just started with yang about 4 weeks ago, before we were using duksterx, but yang is much better. I use the duke atomic from the original game with the hrp .Runs great with no lags. Lately we are trying to use the dukeplus mod witch I think is very cool.I know this mght be an old issue but soon after we start in mp it goes out of sync. I really have not seen anything in the forum on how to solve this. I would be grateful for some hint what we could do.

DukePlus wasn't designed with MP in mind but DT did make his attempts at trying to get it to run in MP.

In n00b terms, there is some bits of code in his mod that don't work quite right in MP.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostThe Commander, on Apr 13 2010, 04:21 PM, said:

DukePlus wasn't designed with MP in mind but DT did make his attempts at trying to get it to run in MP.

In n00b terms, there is some bits of code in his mod that don't work quite right in MP.

Yea, Steve and I have been testing MP with Yang and Duke Plus for several hours the past few nights and have gotten past maybe 3 mins or so of play before it goes way out of sync. We have cloned our settings exactly the same, checking that first in a non networking game because DP setting cant be changed during MP. As well, all our in game menu settings, less our key bindings, are exact. We also noted different weapon sounds like when we fire the MP5, we hear the sound of the chaingun instead. Also, cannot pick up or throw objects.
So, the results conclude that we cannot use much of DP in our future movies as we had hoped. Some things though can be included if any scenes can be filmed in SP, unless someone comes up with a fix of some kind.
For now, we're gonna try filiming with just the HRP, but that too goes out of sync over time as well. Even though setting our maxfps the same helps, it eventually goes out of sync anyway.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm going to look at the code right now and make some changes. I'm not promising it will help much, but I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Try these CONs --> http://www.filedropper.com/dpcons

Have you been using the latest DP and the latest available build of EDuke32? Not being able to change settings and not being able to grab/throw objects sound like issues from an older version of DP.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 13 April 2010 - 10:35 PM

User is offline   Evilsniper 

Hi, maby this will give somebody an idea,
I had DP running pretty good in Mp for a while there. It did not go out of sync unless one of us went into the options to change settings. But if one went into the settings and the other did not move it did not go out of sync and you could
continue to play the game when you were back, I thought that was pretty strange but it really did work for hours. I made the mistake to fool around with the DP files and I cannot remember what I changed. This was the DP version that comes with the hrp pack also some e-duke snapshots screw up the game. There was no problem at all with DP and the hrp. Graphics and sound are just out of this world esp. the hissing rokets from the rpg and the explosions on impact are so cool.

This post has been edited by Evilsniper: 14 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostDeeperThought, on Apr 14 2010, 02:15 AM, said:

I'm going to look at the code right now and make some changes. I'm not promising it will help much, but I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Try these CONs --> http://www.filedropper.com/dpcons

Have you been using the latest DP and the latest available build of EDuke32? Not being able to change settings and not being able to grab/throw objects sound like issues from an older version of DP.

After many, many hrs of testing:
Seems the older the version, the better, and longer the gameplay without out of sync errors (till we get in water! But why??) But no crash using the Polymer HRP of 11/2/09!!!(without Polymer enabled) And using EDuke32 file ver 1.9.9.9 as of 10/31/09. Instant out of sync with latest DP. Gonna try thoes con files next and see what happens. If that fails, we're gonna test with every DP version available right down the line and see if we get lucky. It has become a mission, and I hope, failure will not be an option!

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 15 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

Does the Server/Client MP mode not work for DP?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostThe Commander, on Apr 15 2010, 11:50 PM, said:

Does the Server/Client MP mode not work for DP?

Tends to crash instantly.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I wonder if a ranking system would ever be possible in YANG to make it more like Duke3D XBLA? I guarantee more people would use YANG then. :P

• Judge Mental

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on Apr 28 2010, 12:50 AM, said:

I wonder if a ranking system would ever be possible in YANG to make it more like Duke3D XBLA? I guarantee more people would use YANG then. :D

Another good idea would be to have Duke not de-sync whenever water enters into the picture. (That's really upsetting Vin's and My's mojo.) :P

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 28 2010, 04:12 AM, said:

Another good idea would be to have Duke not de-sync whenever water enters into the picture. (That's really upsetting Vin's and My's mojo.) :P

Yeah, me and Nfelli had some problems earlier as well. :D

I usually play Duke3D XBLA when I'm in a Dukematching mood. I like YANG, but it would be nice to see some improvements in it. I'd actually retire from Duke3D XBLA and move to YANG if it was more advanced with leaderboards, etc.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on Apr 28 2010, 04:39 AM, said:

I usually play Duke3D XBLA when I'm in a Dukematching mood. I like YANG, but it would be nice to see some improvements in it. I'd actually retire from Duke3D XBLA and move to YANG if it was more advanced with leaderboards, etc.

Having multiplayer built in to Eduke32 would be better, that way i wouldn't have to set up YANG; probably would attract more players too.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 29 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Multiplayer browsing built into EDuke32 may happen someday, but it won't be until after the actual netcode works more or less flawlessly. Stuff like leaderboards would be possible, but there's always the big gaping hole in security to worry about that comes from open source allowing dickwads to use hacked up software to exploit whatever shortcomings in the implementation may exist.

For example, even if you're running an EDuke32 dedicated server which maintains a constant connection to a scoring/master server and each player has their own unique GUID or UUID registered with said master server, what's to stop some douche from making a hacked server that does nothing but tell the master that Johnny Asshat is the best player ever and their ID scored hundreds of nonexistent frags? I guess the master server could require the ID AND a password for every player in the game, but then how do you handle unregistered players? Are they just not worth any frags? That doesn't sound very good. Should registration be compelled before they can even play? That sounds like something that would lower the overall amount of players... certainly not something you want when you're talking about a currently nonexistent community.

As you can see from the one example (and I'm sure there are MANY more), this kind of stuff really has to be thought through before even considering implementing any of it.

View PostReaperMan, on Apr 29 2010, 08:12 PM, said:

Having multiplayer built in to Eduke32 would be better, that way i wouldn't have to set up YANG; probably would attract more players too.

I actually typed that in my last post, but backspaced it and decided not to post it. :P

View PostTX, on Apr 29 2010, 08:31 PM, said:

Multiplayer browsing built into EDuke32 may happen someday, but it won't be until after the actual netcode works more or less flawlessly. Stuff like leaderboards would be possible, but there's always the big gaping hole in security to worry about that comes from open source allowing dickwads to use hacked up software to exploit whatever shortcomings in the implementation may exist.

For example, even if you're running an EDuke32 dedicated server which maintains a constant connection to a scoring/master server and each player has their own unique GUID or UUID registered with said master server, what's to stop some douche from making a hacked server that does nothing but tell the master that Johnny Asshat is the best player ever and their ID scored hundreds of nonexistent frags? I guess the master server could require the ID AND a password for every player in the game, but then how do you handle unregistered players? Are they just not worth any frags? That doesn't sound very good. Should registration be compelled before they can even play? That sounds like something that would lower the overall amount of players... certainly not something you want when you're talking about a currently nonexistent community.

As you can see from the one example (and I'm sure there are MANY more), this kind of stuff really has to be thought through before even considering implementing any of it.

It's definitely got my vote! Hope it happens someday! Well, there's going to be cheating going on, no doubt. Whether it's by hacking or other ways like having a friend enter a Dukematch with you and he lets you kill him for free (boosting). Still, it would be cool to have leaderboards regardless! :D

There will always be cheaters, thats just how it goes.

I am more of a COOP player so cheating wouldn't effect that so much.

View PostTX, on Apr 29 2010, 08:31 PM, said:

Should registration be compelled before they can even play? That sounds like something that would lower the overall amount of players... certainly not something you want when you're talking about a currently nonexistent community.

Yes, that would have to be done. Believe me, there's lots and lots of Duke3D players on the XBLA version who have been talking about moving from XBLA to PC. I get messages regularly on Xbox Live from people asking me how to set up multiplayer on Duke3D PC. I think they lose interest though after they
set it up and see it doesn't have the benefits of Duke3D XBLA. Have you ever checked out Duke3D XBLA? Well, I'll go over what it has that the current PC multiplayer doesn't. It has a leaderboard for single player metascore, a time trials leaderboard, and Dukematch leaderboard. And of course, it has the User Clips feature. For Dukematching, it has the options to join a public "free for all" match and "one for all". Also, it has private Dukematch to invite your friends into. Co-op is pretty much the same. You can create a custom co-op game or you can go into the public lobby and wait for someone to join. One would have to check out Duke3D XBLA for themself to see how it's set up. It's very well set up and I wish we could have the same on the PC version. I'm sure we will all in good time. :P

User is offline   Nfelli64 

• Touched by the Banhammer

View PostThe Commander, on Apr 29 2010, 09:26 PM, said:

There will always be cheaters, thats just how it goes.

I am more of a COOP player so cheating wouldn't effect that so much.

mays i pway with you? :P

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on Apr 29 2010, 11:07 PM, said:

Yes, that would have to be done. Believe me, there's lots and lots of Duke3D players on the XBLA version who have been talking about moving from XBLA to PC. I get messages regularly on Xbox Live from people asking me how to set up multiplayer on Duke3D PC. I think they lose interest though after they
set it up and see it doesn't have the benefits of Duke3D XBLA. Have you ever checked out Duke3D XBLA? Well, I'll go over what it has that the current PC multiplayer doesn't. It has a leaderboard for single player metascore, a time trials leaderboard, and Dukematch leaderboard. And of course, it has the User Clips feature. For Dukematching, it has the options to join a public "free for all" match and "one for all". Also, it has private Dukematch to invite your friends into. Co-op is pretty much the same. You can create a custom co-op game or you can go into the public lobby and wait for someone to join. One would have to check out Duke3D XBLA for themself to see how it's set up. It's very well set up and I wish we could have the same on the PC version. I'm sure we will all in good time. :D

we want leaderboards dammit! It would be cool, but yang has the ability to play with modification that xbox cannot. though xbox online is still dominate without all the glitches :D

• Judge Mental

Frankly, what TX brings up basically has me say "F*ck no" in regards to leaderboards.

Hundreds of games have enjoyed diverse multiplayer communities. You dont need that stuff. I could see having some kind of simple profile or something to individualise, sorta like what is in the game now, but with an avatar and a little bio section. But all this excessive shit is just going to open more doors to have the game hacked and screwed.

Besides, as has been pointed out multiple times, the multiplayer is all kinds of broken right now.

Well, if it was done internally in EDuke32, there would be a master server. Over time the cheaters would show themselves and there IP could be easily black listed. Then they would need to keep going to the trouble of getting it reset if they are that committed on cheating where as it would just be a simple click and IP block on the master server end.

Unsure how feasible this is though.

View PostCommando Nukem, on Apr 29 2010, 11:53 PM, said:

You dont need that stuff.

Well, it wouldn't have to be mandatory. You could have the choice between a regular match and ranked match just as Duke3D XBLA. I believe it would be a huge success and people would love it! I know I sure would! Like Commander said, I don't know how feasible it would be, but I think it would pay off in the end. There would be lots of people from Duke3D XBLA moving to PC. They already want to move to PC, but I think it's the lack of those features which is keeping them from doing so. I don't blame them really. I'd like to see it happen, too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :P

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 29 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

• Judge Mental

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on Apr 29 2010, 10:10 PM, said:

Well, it wouldn't have to be mandatory. You could have the choice between a regular match and ranked match just as Duke3D XBLA. I believe it would be a huge success and people would love it! I know I sure would! Like Commander said, I don't know how feasible it would be, but I think it would pay off in the end. There would be lots of people from Duke3D XBLA moving to PC. They already want to move to PC, but I think it's the lack of those features which is keeping them from doing so. I don't blame them really. I'd like to see it happen, too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :P

The reason people arent moving over is because Eduke has unstable, let me be perfectly frank, crappy, multiplayer function right now. I know its not easy to code, but the newest version crashes if you burp at your monitor. The older versions(through YANG) desync if you go near water, or think unhappy thoughts.

I'm saying, why open the door for more problems? People talk about throwing more rendering features into the engine too. I say, optimise the lighting, since they're way too resource happy, fix the netcode so that its stable and functional, and then worry about adding more stuff on there. The original Dukematch is just fine the way it is, the only thing we need is stability and ease of setup. Thats it. All that other stuff is above and beyond and right now the guys coding this port for us seem to be a little bit overworked, ya know?

I think many people would switch over to PC Dukematch. All the HRP and access to custom content would instantly get people coming back. Just a matter of getting it playable for a mainstream audience.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 30 April 2010 - 01:36 AM

I'm playing Doom until EDuke32 has better MP. No, don't really enjoy Doom's MP anymore like I used to. I want Duke, Duke, and more Duke!

User is offline   quiksteven 

yeh we need ALOT more people to use yang with the eduke port, i havent seen anyone on there yet.

disappointed!

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options