Duke4.net Forums: Forgotten releases that never made it to the public - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forgotten releases that never made it to the public

User is online   zykov eddy 

Hello everyone. If you're obsessed with Duke 3D, you probably grab every fan release you find and then place in in your special DN3D folder. I'm a serious Duke 3D mod/map collector myself, and for the years I've been searching for all kinds of releases, useally just for the sake of collecting things.

As you know, most of the releases, even the demo versions, usually make it to sites like MSDN, RTCM or Duke Repository, and you can easely download them, but there's a special category of releases what I'm about to talk about. I'm talking about maps and mods what never escape forum threads and long forgotten. Usually, if you're lucky, you can dig out the thread, and hopefully the download link will still work, but for the most part the links are dead, or the thread no longer available.

So, I've decided to make this thread for sharing that kind of releases. For example, if you have a rare mod/map on your PC, please upload it somewhere and leave a link here.

Okay, here's some mods I'd like to share with you.

1.Can't remember the name. I found it on AMC forums long time ago, and I think it's supposed to be the demo version of a TC or something like that. It has a small, fun level in medieval style.

Posted Image
Posted Image

2.Devastator's con mod. Cool stuff, check out pipebomb and shrinker.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 10 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

New York Nightmare Episode
Not yet forgotten, but didn't get reviewed anywhere so far. 500 MiB is a rather big download, but unless you're really low on disk space or bandwidth it should be worth your time.

View PostLeoD, on 10 November 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Not yet forgotten, but didn't get reviewed anywhere so far. 500 MiB is a rather big download, but unless you're really low on disk space or bandwidth it should be worth your time.

A worthy project, clearly deserves a review. I like the surreal style of new models.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 10 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I'm in the middle of a search for "Suburbs TC" that used Kingpin assets. Anyone have a copy or a link?

Neverind, I found it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Here's another forgotten mod. It's called New World IV Beta, and it's made by James Ferry, a Con language genious. I'm a big fan of James Ferry's works. Most of his stuff is ment to be played in multiplayer, but I just love the way he used cool Con tricks back in the day. He reminds me of Lezing a little.

Anyway, you might be thinking, "hey, this mod isn't rare, it's available on Dukeworld". Well, yes, but the thing is, you'll never get this stuff to work on EDuke 32 because of the tricky installation process. I had to rewrite the entire con file, because it was coded in some weird way. Now, everyone can play this mod. Since it's a beta, it doesn't have much of gameplay, but some ideas are cool. You have to complete two objectives to finish the map.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  nwiv.zip (2.65MB)
    Number of downloads: 292

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View Postzykov eddy, on 10 November 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

2.Devastator's con mod. Cool stuff, check out pipebomb and shrinker.

Posted Image

Shrinker, Expander and now the Shitter?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What a neat idea to use light textures for windows!

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View Postzykov eddy, on 11 November 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

Here's another forgotten mod. It's called New World IV Beta, and it's made by James Ferry, a Con language genious. I'm a big fan of James Ferry's works. Most of his stuff is ment to be played in multiplayer, but I just love the way he used cool Con tricks back in the day. He reminds me of Lezing a little.

Anyway, you might be thinking, "hey, this mod isn't rare, it's available on Dukeworld". Well, yes, but the thing is, you'll never get this stuff to work on EDuke 32 because of the tricky installation process. I had to rewrite the entire con file, because it was coded in some weird way. Now, everyone can play this mod. Since it's a beta, it doesn't have much of gameplay, but some ideas are cool. You have to complete two objectives to finish the map.

Ferry did lots of things like only using numbers for everything, and removing all whitespaces, etc to obscure his CON code. He also used a number of mostly undocumented map tricks that took advantage of some odd bugs.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Ferry was pretty damn good, too bad he never did that much.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Never finished and released but the beta is pretty good already: Overkill Episode.
The first three levels are done, the fourth is playable but desperately lacks ammo pickups during the first half.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostLeoD, on 04 December 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Never finished and released but the beta is pretty good already: Overkill Episode.
The first three levels are done, the fourth is playable but desperately lacks ammo pickups during the first half.

Your maps are juicy! I love em!

View PostLeoD, on 04 December 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Nice release, thanks for sharing!

Here's another obscurity: a full game based on Duke 3D engine, with lots of levels, new weapons and enemys. I'm gonna be honest, it's a mess. Obviously a lot of effort was put into this, but it's just weird. But either way, it's a good, action packed TC, and I recommend it. The download link is in description.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 18 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I've played that TC a lot. Tons of cool resources and effects. And LOTS of maps to play.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

But what about the gamplay? Combat, layout?

User is offline   Mark 

I ran through the maps for technical reasons first, gameplay second. I'm more of a mapper than a player so my review of gameplay might not be very relevant to others. The maps varied widely in style. I remember a thread here with some critiques when the TC was released. I think after the authors added in English menus and stuff a few more people here downloaded it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 18 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Norvak should release his other map. I can't recall the name.
It has a few progression issues and the inside of the spacecraft has a couple cramped rooms, but it also has pretty neat stuff in it.

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

• Honored Donor

Yeah I think I might have been one of those people. IIRC I got stuck somewhere in the first or second level and the gameplay wasn't good enough to motivate me to keep going. Like you say it's more interesting from a mapper's perspective though.

Edit: @Forge you're talking about Sunstroke.

This post has been edited by Plain Simple Garek: 18 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Sunstroke
I got stuck right after the spacecraft and he had to tell me how to get down the cliff. After that I persevered and finished

He'll give it to people who ask, but he's not interested in doing anything else with it or make it an official public release
too bad, it has a neat looking car in it, and aside from the cramped rooms, the spaceship interior is well done

• Honored Donor

Huh, I thought he lost that map or something. Why isn't he interested in releasing it? Is it that he's too busy/lost interest in finishing it or for some other reason like being ashamed of its "poor quality"?

User is offline   Forge 

i think the cliche he used was,"i've moved on". I was being a bit pushy 'cause i seen the potential it could have had with just some minor cleaning and adjustments

i still have the copy he sent me. Gambini probably has a copy as well. I don't know who else he shared with

if he doesn't want to do an "official" release, that's fine, but it'd be a shame not to let people look at his earlier work. maybe drop it in that "unfinished" thread and let people decide for themselves

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Seeing that I'm probably never going to finish my mod Freerunner , which is this one : http://www.moddb.com/mods/freerunner

I might release it.... but it would involve cleaning up a shitload of things and packaging it nice... or maybe I could just relase everything raw and be done with it :wub:

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Nice shots.

First picture when you scroll up and down does this weird illusion like the bricks are moving.

View PostFox, on 11 November 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Shrinker, Expander and now the Shitter?

Lol I wonder that too,.
Maybe it turns monster into poop.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostPaul B, on 18 December 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Your maps are juicy! I love em!
Not mine. I'm not Mike Maessig, the creator of Overkill. Otherwise I'd surely have finished it.

View Postzykov eddy, on 18 December 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

Here's another obscurity: a full game based on Duke 3D engine, with lots of levels, new weapons and enemys. I'm gonna be honest, it's a mess. Obviously a lot of effort was put into this, but it's just weird. But either way, it's a good, action packed TC, and I recommend it. The download link is in description.
You beat me to it. Destination: Ghetto was to be my next recommendation in this thread.

I wonder if TCP2 will ever make the light of day. I screens we're promising and I was a huge fan of the first one, especially now that Christmas is coming :wub:

This post has been edited by Simon_Croes: 21 December 2013 - 08:14 AM

User is offline   Veals 

View PostLeoD, on 10 November 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Does anyone else still have this project? The link doesn't work.

Casually found this never finished TC (just a different dethtool.mid and barmusic.voc in it's actual state) "The Michael Dormuth Saga" by Mike Latoski where you play as a man called, guess what, Michael Dormuth. Only one map.
Attached File  DUKE3DTMDSA147.ZIP (196.43K)
Number of downloads: 193

User is offline   Forge 

View PostVeals, on 16 September 2020 - 03:22 AM, said:

Does anyone else still have this project? The link doesn't work.

Attached File  bat files.zip (398bytes)
Number of downloads: 186
Attached File  nynightmare.doc (63.51K)
Number of downloads: 195

http://www.mediafire...l0z0qennd5/file

User is offline   Veals 

View PostForge, on 16 September 2020 - 07:47 AM, said:

Tnx :)

View PostFantinaikos, on 16 September 2020 - 06:34 AM, said:

Casually found this never finished TC (just a different dethtool.mid and barmusic.voc in it's actual state) "The Michael Dormuth Saga" by Mike Latoski where you play as a man called, guess what, Michael Dormuth. Only one map.
Attachment DUKE3DTMDSA147.ZIP

And Tnx ;)

Trying to build a collection of mods and episodes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options