Duke4.net Forums: New York Nightmare episode for Eduke32 (release) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New York Nightmare episode for Eduke32 (release)  "started about 3 or 4 years ago. worked off and on. finally done."

User is offline   Todd 

The files are here:

nynightmare.txt
nynightmare.zip

---- SYNOPSIS ----

Before going to Las Vegas, an advance scouting mission by the Alien
Bastards landed in Manhattan. When NYC seemed to disappear from the
grid, Duke took the next train to Grand Central Station to
investigate. He found NYC needed an exterminator... bad.

Duke chases the vermin through a nightclub, the subway, Brooklyn
Bridge, a school, a superhero's mansion, a 5-star restaurant, the
rooftops of Manhattan, and other locations before reaching Central
Park for the final battle.

---- REQUIREMENTS ----

Tested with:

Eduke32 2.0.0devel r3115
Mapster32 2.0.0devel r3115
HRP Version 5.1.285

---- TO GET STARTED ----

Change to your working eduke32 directory and make sure the hrp zip
file is under autoload/duke3d.grp. Put the file nynightmare.zip in
the eduke32 working directory (not the autoload).

Then, while in the eduke32 working directory, run

eduke32 -j nynightmare.zip -mh ny.def -mx ny.con

This post has been edited by Todd: 12 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I just started downloading them now, I don't have time to play them (should be studying for an exam) but what I read in the .txt sounds very impressive. It'll take another 20+ minutes to download.

You should probably warn people that it's going to be an almost 500mb download! Before I clicked on it I just thought it was a collection of maps that would be a grand total of 5mb!

And it would really help encourage more people to download your episode if you included some pictures in your post so people knew what they were getting.

Last thing, did you include a .bat file to run the episode? Your instructions about the eduke directory imply otherwise, and it'd be much easier for the end user to run if you included those commands in a .bat which people can double click than having to write up a bunch of technical stuff.

User is offline   Todd 

right--it's almost as big as Polymer HRP itself. all the graphics and models. no .bat file---I could work up one, and I could make some screenshots.

• Honored Donor

In the mean time here are the bat files for this episode for everyone else.

I had a quick look through the maps in mapster, the first thing that struck me was that for the most part details and shading are somewhat lacking (especially on that blackboard map), and there are the occasional odd texture choices. However the design certainly seems interesting and different to standard maps that come out these days, like that rooftop map for example, although it's a bit dark. The best looking part of what I saw in terms of details was the kitchen in kitchen.map, that was well detailed, but other parts of that map seemed really dark as well (despite small polymer lights). Edit: It's also worth noting that all the textures are perfectly alligned and there's no oversizing or anything so the maps are nice and clean looking which is a good thing.
Of course game play makes up a big part of the fun and I can't really judge that from mapster so I'll look forward to playing it.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 12 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Screenshots?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 13 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostMetHy, on 13 November 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

Screenshots?

I would have done it if I didnt have exams today and the download wasn't going at 20kb/s :|

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Screenshots are still pretty much a requirement to get people's interest in new releases, people just don't want to bother to set up something and see it's something they wouldn't like anyway. Isn't this also in the wrong section?

• Honored Donor

Micky C to the rescue.

Here are some of the more interesting areas from the episode I've taken from mapster. I've only played the first level, which forces you to use the pistol against troopers the entire time (unless there are other weapons in secrets), and over-uses a particular wall texture quite a bit. I don't have time to play more at the moment, but some texture variety would have helped in that first level.
@Todd, would you have considered beta testing the episode here before releasing it? There are several skilled mappers in the community who would have been happy to test it for you and point out ways to improve it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is online   Lunick 

Ah you beat me to getting screenshots...

EDIT: I would still like to show some things though:
Posted Image
The health items have all been changed. Pretzels and Cigars! Steroids are now some form of green flask type thing.

Posted Image

Posted Image
This kinda made me laugh...

This post has been edited by Lunick: 13 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

User is offline   zykov eddy 

This episode looks... Interesting. I only played the first level looked up some levels in mapster, but I kinda like the style. The textures remind me of some TCs from early 90s. I also like the raw looking models.
Too bad there's no new weapons. Oh well.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 13 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

User is offline   Todd 

yeah--I probably will make some changes---e.g I realized I forgot to change "found steroids" to "found radium", etc. (I had made the changes, downloaded new eduke32 and accidentally overwrote them, meant to put them back in in a separate con file....). Also, change the cigar photo to a more obvious health indicator in the hud. And there were a few obsolete files (from older partial levels) I forgot to delete---not that that will make it much smaller. One thing---I had to change the DNF posters to DN Reloaded posters because in the middle of it all, DNF actually managed to get released.....

A bug I probably won't fix: if you look into the background you can see the Brooklyn Bridge from the Brooklyn Bridge. It's no worse than seeing the NBC (radio city music hall) building from the Manhattan fake window scene behind the NBC News desk inside the NBC building.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options