Duke4.net Forums: What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games? - Duke4.net Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games?

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

A pacifist run on Deus Ex will totally clear any beef the government has with you.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostComrade Major, on 03 December 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Achievements will be the NSA's next method of tracking your every move.

(run away and deletes steam client again)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDial V for Viper, on 03 December 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

A pacifist run on Deus Ex will totally clear any beef the government has with you.

Like a good goy.

✡ Oy vey my kill count is gay! ✡

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 03 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

"Listen goy, you can accomplish anything through pacifism."

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 03 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

Dark Souls in the greatest video game of all time.

Your opinion is inapplicable, go home and be a family man.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 06 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

looks nice. never played it

i enjoy rougelike games like Nethack, lots of replay value until you either manage to beat it or get tired of finding new ways to die. You can also get numerous "pretty" interfaces for it if you don't like the old ASCII graphics.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 06 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I think that Ski Free and Chips Challenge should be standard on on all windows machines.

User is offline   Ronin 

It's a work or art. It's so unique it's nearly its own genre. I wish more people would play it, it's an overlooked title on the pc that has mods that dust off the console ancestry in seconds with little effort.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 06 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostReaperMan, on 06 December 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

I think that Ski Free and Chips Challenge should be standard on on all windows machines.

You forgot the pinball game from Full Tilt ;)

User is offline   Forge 

Chips Challenge should be standard on on all windows machines.

definitely

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

My god you make me feel old... and I'm only 20 Posted Image
Those are some of the first games I remember playing, along with Duke 2.

I swear I got past that bear thing only once (is it even possible to get past it?). Almost gave me a heart attack each time.

View PostLunick, on 06 December 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

You forgot the pinball game from Full Tilt ;)

You mean that 3D one on windows XP? That was pretty annoying. Not as bad as DNF's pinball. "I've got balls of fail" is right.

User is offline   Kathy 

Pinball was awesome on NT4.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

http://www.chuckschallenge.com/ - Successfully Kickstarted by the original developer of Chip. Was also recently Greenlit on Steam.

User is offline   leilei 

The Windows Entertainment Pack came standard on most Gateway 2000s at least. Some had all four!

Also 3D Pinball Space Cadet was standard (shipped with 95 Plus first, and then standard from NT 4.0/98 onward until Vista kicked it out)

This post has been edited by leilei: 06 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 06 December 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

http://www.chuckschallenge.com/ - Successfully Kickstarted by the original developer of Chip. Was also recently Greenlit on Steam.

Holy shit, I saw this and would have never associated it with Chip's Challenge but it all makes sense now, thanks for the head's up!

This post has been edited by Lunick: 06 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostForge, on 06 December 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

looks nice. never played it

i enjoy rougelike games like Nethack, lots of replay value until you either manage to beat it or get tired of finding new ways to die. You can also get numerous "pretty" interfaces for it if you don't like the old ASCII graphics.

I looked into that game, it does sound very interesting I don't think I could tolerate the old ASCII graphics though the sprite based one looks OK. In Dark Souls, without the help of the community it would extremely difficult to beat or even understand half the stuff going on in it, and that is by design not accident.
I have never played a game with ASCII graphics but I'd imagine you would have to have an extremely creative imagination for it to be fun.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Kroz?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostRonan, on 07 December 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

I looked into that game, it does sound very interesting I don't think I could tolerate the old ASCII graphics though the sprite based one looks OK. In Dark Souls, without the help of the community it would extremely difficult to beat or even understand half the stuff going on in it, and that is by design not accident.

Only if you mean various inscriptions and death sequences of other players. Beating the game with various FAQs or forum help makes it less challenging and less explorative. Because in the end, the game is less about to be 'finished' and more about finding your own way past all the hurdles. You took away most of this with external help.

User is offline   Forge 

I have never played a game with ASCII graphics but I'd imagine you would have to have an extremely creative imagination for it to be fun.

there's alot of gui's for nethack, more than what's in the link below

http://nethack.wikia..._user_interface

i think this one is on that page as well if this is more to your taste: (yes it comes in english too)
Posted Image

i prefer this one:
http://www.darkarts.co.za/vulture

i moved on from the ASCII graphics 'cause with the gui it's easier to see the stats and things like the inventory. Plus mouse clicking is alot easier than typing in a bunch of console commands (and in today's visual eye candy world i can see how someone would run away from a game like that.)

you should enjoy it. has monsters and easter eggs right up your alley
http://nethackwiki.c...uantum_mechanic

i know where you're coming from about the wiki's. i would recommend using them for this game as well or be prepared to take alot,alot,alot,alot of notes (did i say alot of notes? i meant ALOT of notes)

This post has been edited by Forge: 07 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostKathy, on 07 December 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Only if you mean various inscriptions and death sequences of other players. Beating the game with various FAQs or forum help makes it less challenging and less explorative. Because in the end, the game is less about to be 'finished' and more about finding your own way past all the hurdles. You took away most of this with external help.

I would say I used the internet very sparingly to get through my first run, I didn't check "how to beat this boss" or "where to go next" just there are some things in the game that are not explained at all. Like the npc characters and their role in the game, weapon modification, and what enemy types drop certain materials that you want. The community helps out in game by pointing towards secret areas (of which there are tonnes) and giving tips and strategies as well as actually joining your game to help (or murder/rob) you. I am playing it again on the pc at he moment with all the extra content of which I know next to nothing about, I don't like wasting my money by spoiling hard games for myself but sometimes if I keep running into a dead end I might seek a little bit of advice, but I most definitely did not ruin any of the experience for myself which is why I hold the game in such high regard. But I agree if you plundered guides for the whole thing there is little point, even though parts of Dark Souls were designed to be figured out by the community, like covenants.

View PostForge, on 07 December 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

there's alot of gui's for nethack, more than what's in the link below

http://nethack.wikia..._user_interface

i think this one is on that page as well if this is more to your taste: (yes it comes in english too)
]
i prefer this one:
http://www.darkarts.co.za/vulture

i moved on from the ASCII graphics 'cause with the gui it's easier to see the stats and things like the inventory. Plus mouse clicking is alot easier than typing in a bunch of console commands (and in today's visual eye candy world i can see how someone would run away from a game like that.)

you should enjoy it. has monsters and easter eggs right up your alley

i know where you're coming from about the wiki's. i would recommend using them for this game as well or be prepared to take alot,alot,alot,alot of notes (did i say alot of notes? i meant ALOT of notes)

Thanks for that, I will bookmark this game on my list I and try it in the future in some form or the other. Quantum Mechanic enemy that carries around a Schroedingers cat, why not.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I looked into that game, it does sound very interesting I don't think I could tolerate the old ASCII graphics

You should check out Brogue, it's a Rogue variant that is focussed on creating beautiful ASCII graphics. It's also not very complex compared to other roguelikes, and hence does not require a lot of time investment to play.

Speaking of roguelikes, personally I like Ancient Domains of Mystery, it has a lot of great improvements (excellent inventory management, the way projectile weapons are handled), and provides for some very in-depth roleplaying experience.

ASCII graphics in general have their pros in that they do not distract from what is going on in the game. The players are free to imagine the game world to their liking, and are not restricted by the artistic choices of the developers*. For example, newer versions of Ancient Domains of Mystery have optional tiles, and I must say that by the looks of them (haven't played that version myself yet) they are not to my liking. I'd much rather prefer the tiles in the style of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup or the classic games like Warlords or the Exile series.

NetHack has always felt inconvenient to play to me because of the obligatory pet that follows the player and often ends up blocking the path in narrow corridors (very inconvenient in case of expeditious retreat!). If there is a way to issue commands to the pet I haven't figured them out, but at any rate an AI sidekick should be an optional thing IMO. In ADOM you can have a pet creature (I'm thinking that maybe the term "familiar" would be more appropriate here?) if you play as a bard, and that creature is a lot more useful and powerful than in NetHack. Oh, and in ADOM you have a special command to "displace" a nearby creature, thereby the player is able to squeeze past friendly or neutral monsters in narrow corridors, whereas IIRC NetHack defaults to attacking any nearby creature you move into (with the optional dialogue of "Do you want to attack <creature>?" that can be turned on in the settings).

*I'm not trying to say that any artistic representation of a game world per se isn't as good as the way a player can imagine it, it's just that having considerable freedom of imagination is more true to the original pen-and-paper roleplaying experience.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMrFlibble, on 09 December 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

NetHack has always felt inconvenient to play to me because of the obligatory pet that follows the player and often ends up blocking the path in narrow corridors (very inconvenient in case of expeditious retreat!). If there is a way to issue commands to the pet I haven't figured them out, but at any rate an AI sidekick should be an optional thing IMO. In ADOM you can have a pet creature (I'm thinking that maybe the term "familiar" would be more appropriate here?) if you play as a bard, and that creature is a lot more useful and powerful than in NetHack. Oh, and in ADOM you have a special command to "displace" a nearby creature, thereby the player is able to squeeze past friendly or neutral monsters in narrow corridors, whereas IIRC NetHack defaults to attacking any nearby creature you move into (with the optional dialogue of "Do you want to attack <creature>?" that can be turned on in the settings).

you can set "displace pet" and "safe pet" in nethack. that way the pet will move out of your way and you don't have to put up with the constant "do you want to attack" message except when dealing with friendly creatures/shop keepers.

you can abandon your pet by going to the next level without it near you, or it will lose loyalty and leave you after awhile if it doesn't get fed

you can polymorph it to a powerful creature

you can train it to steal from shops

you can use it to determine if an item is cursed because it won't walk over it

the player is very weak for the first two or three levels - it's easy to get your ass kicked in a fight or starve to death - the pet can kill most of the low level monsters if you get into trouble - or if you can handle the bad luck points you can kill your pet for food

the biggest pain in the ass with pets is getting them near you when you want to go down/up stairs (until you get a whistle or eucalyptus leaf), and keeping them alive in the deeper levels long enough to poly them

there are so many variations of rouge(like) games out there that it's not difficult to find one with tiles/rules to your own taste

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostForge, on 09 December 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

you can set "displace pet" and "safe pet" in nethack. that way the pet will move out of your way and you don't have to put up with the constant "do you want to attack" message except when dealing with friendly creatures/shop keepers.

Well, I never figured that out I guess. Anyway, as I said I prefer to have NPC allies the player has no direct control of (alongside a perfectly controllable PC) as an option, not as an obligatory feature.

You're right that with the numbers of various roguelikes out there this is not a real problem. It's just that NetHack is one of the most popular titles that will inevitably pop up in a roguelike discussion.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMrFlibble, on 10 December 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

It's just that NetHack is one of the most popular titles that will inevitably pop up in a roguelike discussion.

this is something that i was not aware of. I came across nethack w/falcon's eye tiles in a RedHat repository several years ago while i was looking for rouge games for my Mandrake Linux O/S. Never been beyond looking at wikis as far as that community goes so I'm not pushing one version of rouge over another for some popularity reason, i'm just going with the one i'm more familiar with for modern computers. Definitely recommend doing a little personal investigating and comparisons before settling for a specific flavor

edit: sorry, i forgot this was supposed to be "controversial" - NetHack rules all other rouge games drool

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostJimmy, on 03 December 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

"Listen goy, you can accomplish anything through pacifism."

I find this very offensive. We were just told off for all the Jew jokes we're making. You need to stop. Now. End it.
First off, 6 million Jews died simply for being Jews. Europe was not a multicultural society at the time and didn't know how to deal with this kind of tension. As a result six million were gassed, yes, that many, and cripples and blacks and gypsies were murdered too. You seriously need to get into som sensitivity training, because X-Vector and High Treason have showed me the light, and the light is clearly a water down shade of brown, because the sooner we interbreed, the more peaceful we will become.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I can't believe I wrote this. I am ashamed. I feel like I am some kind of monster. I just watched Schindler's List and it really opened my eyes to the horrible atrocities committed by my own people. (White privilege checked.) I just can't believe it. I feel horrible. I want to apologize to everyone here. My behaviour has been disgusting, now that I've finally read into the Holocaust, and not just white propaganda from Stormweenies. I am trying my best to be a non-oppressive straight white male now. Anti-Semitism and racism are harmful to our society, and I can't believe I was a part of it. I have a Jewish friend and I'm going to ask her to take me to synagogue with her. I think it's the only way to make things right.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Man, you two schmucks need to man up.

User is offline   Kathy 

Okay, that was completely unnecessary.

View PostComrade Major, on 11 December 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

Man, you two schmucks need to man up.

How dare you! Preferred pronouns. Check your privieledge! I guess you support gender roles too huh? What if a woman wants to be a fire fighter? Or a policeman? or an orthodontist? Or PRESIDENT (HILLDOG 2016!)

Some women have penises. Get over it!

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options