Duke4.net Forums: Yume Nikki 3d - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yume Nikki 3d

User is online   zykov eddy 

Hello guys. Since the release of The Edge, I've been working on a game called Yume Nikki 3d, and it's based on an indie game with the same name (if you haven't played the original Yume Nikki, I highly recommend it).

Note that it's not necessary to be a fan of the original game to enjoy YN3D. The concept is understandable and it's easy to pick up and play.

You play as a little girl. The game starts in your room. You can use the bed to enter the dream world or desk to save your game. Most locations in Dream world are connected by series of portals. Your task is to find six "effects" and three keys, which are hidden in a dream world. You can use "effects" to gain new abilities, and some of the effects are requied to progress in few areas. The most important effects, such as bicycle and the knife, are hidden in the locations connected to Nexus (the hub location).

Download v 0.02 + Isolated DLC here: http://eddyprojects....released_9.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy!

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 09 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

It is recommended to find a bicycle effect to move faster before exploring other areas.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 04 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

User is offline   blackhatred 

• Dumbfuck Wannabe

It seems silence speaks louder than words.

This post has been edited by Centaurious: 05 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Just finished it, really cool. I never played the original game which this is based on so I had no idea what I went into. Some people might find the traveling tedious but I did not find that too much of a hassle especially when finding the bike.

By the way, spoiler below:
Spoiler

Thanks Loke!

View PostLoke, on 05 October 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

By the way, spoiler below:
Spoiler

The ghost punished you for stabbing him. So, the only way to get out of there is to wake up and enter the dream world again, or use monochrome effect.

By the way, if anyone finds this colorful room... Try to use the light switch. If nothing happens - go away, enter the room again and use the switch. Keep doing this until something interesting happens.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 05 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

User is offline   Loke 

View Postzykov eddy, on 05 October 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

By the way, if anyone finds this colorful room... Try to use the light switch. If nothing happens - go away, enter the room again and use the switch. Keep doing this until something interesting happens.

Damn, that caught me off guard. :P

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

First thought that comes to mind is lesbian scene?

There's a thread about the game on 4chan already.

Somebody even linked to duke4.net forums.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 06 October 2013 - 03:50 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Postzykov eddy, on 06 October 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Somebody even linked to duke4.net forums.

Oh god.... help us.

I hope you're taking suggestions from the thread because they're right that some of the new rooms are really bland. don't be afraid to add triggers for effects and such, that's part of what made the original so good!

Yeah, I'm taking criticism. It's only 0.02, so, more awesome stuff will come later. I don't like some of the rooms myself, but I had to use them as a filler, to connect some of the other areas.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 06 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Wow, the game is on Tumblr now. (and feel kinda strange)

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 06 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View Postzykov eddy, on 06 October 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

Wow, the game is on Tumblr now. (and feel kinda strange)

Congrats then... Enjoy the fame :P

There are even also people from latinamercia who have uploaded videos of their game play on youtube.

By the way I am not relate to this game at all, but doesn´t the girl commit suicide at the end of game (never played any of the versions)

After doing a little research I noticed there is an entire following of this game in general...

What makes this game so special to those guys?

Do you plan any further improvements, for instance voxels?

I saw the video of sonic 3d also. Amazing work!
Congratulations!

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 06 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

View Postmxrtxn, on 06 October 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Congrats then... Enjoy the fame :P

Actually, I think people are overrating it. I don't even know which direction to go for.

View Postmxrtxn, on 06 October 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

I saw the video of sonic 3d also. Amazing work!
Congratulations!

Thanks

User is offline   rooster09 

Have you thought about making 3D remakes of Ib, The Witches House and the other Yume games? That would be awesome :P ( I know you're still working on YN but it was some food for thought as a few side projects.)

Also, as a side note, if you choose Ib please add some more horror in places that you think needs it ( or if you're unsure ask the community and they could probably give you some ideas.) I say this because one thing that kind of bugged me was the smiley face paintings that spit at you. They look really silly, if they were made to look more malevolent then this would be a creepy effect :/ Same is true for the doll that follows you in that one part.

YN3D goes the world, hehe.

http://gamejolt.com/ Front page
http://pinchyourself...en-in-this-post
http://yumenikkifg.w...i/Yume_Nikki_3d
https://indiestatik..../yume-nikki-3d/

User is offline   Lunick 

Amazing, happy to see more exposure for your work :P

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Eddy needs to try his hand at making a mod that isn't based on some other game etc. and completely orginal.
I would be interested to see what he could come up with.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

What's the cvar for inverting the mouse y axis? I can't play like this.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 08 October 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

What's the cvar for inverting the mouse y axis? I can't play like this.

Here you go

http://www.mediafire...xcsq6k4u0qa54ca

View PostThe Commander, on 08 October 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

Eddy needs to try his hand at making a mod that isn't based on some other game etc. and completely orginal.
I would be interested to see what he could come up with.

I'm actually working on something like that, but slowly. http://forums.duke4....post__p__164148

User is offline   mxrtxn 

Ok, I finally finished the game. Quite cool!

Zykov, How much time did it take you to create yume nikki 3d?

Are you planning further updates, and additons?

Is the first time I see this sort of mix between the build engine and a RPG game.
Interesting results.

View Postmxrtxn, on 09 October 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Ok, I finally finished the game. Quite cool!

Zykov, How much time did it take you to create yume nikki 3d?

Three weeks, I think (including the first alpha).

View Postmxrtxn, on 09 October 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Are you planning further updates, and additons?

Yes, more info here

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Please release the changes made to the EDuke32 source code. I haven't yet been able to get it running properly on Linux, even after removing all instances of the added "quitgame" command from the CONs: clicking the left mouse button in the custom-coded entry menu is ineffective. (Also, including a savegame is non-portable, but as long as starting a game normally is also possible, it's not a big problem, I guess.)

Edit: oops, figured out that you've got to press USE (I like keeping my own binds) there.

View PostHelixhorned, on 11 October 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

Please release the changes made to the EDuke32 source code. I haven't yet been able to get it running properly on Linux, even after removing all instances of the added "quitgame" command from the CONs: clicking the left mouse button in the custom-coded entry menu is ineffective.

Spoiler

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 12 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Here's more crazy dreamy stuff for ya.

This location is a spaceship, where the piano guy lives. You can play his piano, or go to sleep in his bed. If you go to sleep, soon the spaceship will crash on Mars.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 07 November 2013 - 03:10 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

I played this a little, and while on my first try I didn't really "get" it, I think that there's much good stuff beneath the surface here. It's pretty unique if it places emphasis on the interaction with (non-enemy) objects.

However, it looks as if it's in a pretty untested state CON-coding-wise, right? Currently, I'm wondering why you're attempting to play OGG music defined with definesound by issuing starttrack. The way I see it, the latter only considers music defined with definemusic (which you presumably can't use due to OGG?).

Does this kind of music playback work in the custom Windows binary due to some added magic?

The larger point I'm trying to make it that the development model of taking EDuke32 source and hacking on it to add one's mod features is somewhat problematic. I'd consider (at least thinking about) adding some EDuke32 logic that would handle music-defined-as-sound, but since you added your custom code to EDuke32, you'd either have to reapply your patches afterwards, or (preferably) somehow negotiate to have them added to mainline EDuke32.
(OK, I realize I kind of "rejected" your "close EDuke32 command" suggestion, but maybe it's not that bad afterwards... but then you probably had some more menu hacks? The thing about adding new stuff is that it has to be useful in general, and not only for one particular setting.)

View PostHelixhorned, on 08 November 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

I'm wondering why you're attempting to play OGG music defined with definesound by issuing starttrack. The way I see it, the latter only considers music defined with definemusic (which you presumably can't use due to OGG?).

Some of the ogg music files also used as sound effects in the game. Most of the music is played via music 2 as normal.

View PostHelixhorned, on 08 November 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

The larger point I'm trying to make it that the development model of taking EDuke32 source and hacking on it to add one's mod features is somewhat problematic.

It is, especially since I'm using it for indie "game" development, but seems like I have no alternative. For example, I simply can't make a brand new menu with regular Eduke 32, and you know, it was actually very easy to make it with help of a couple new lines in the code. The game simply skips the regular Duke 3D menu, goes to E1L10 and adds a "quitgame" command. That's all you need to make a new menu.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 08 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

User is offline   Marcos 

Wow... Very nice game, played just a few minutes and really liked. I see you used my menu code too, glad it worked!!

• EDuke32 Developer

Attached is a patch against EDuke32 r3635, containing the Yume Nikki changes, for reference and further discussion. (With the goal of eventually making that functionality available in stock EDuke32 via scripting.)

First impressions:
- Removal of F* keys: could be controlled with a translation-time flag similar to LOGO_FLAGS
- gameexit: OK, could be added I guess...
- cineov2 -> game_intro: not critical, as the intro animation could simply be called 'cineov2.anm' in the mod distro
- menus.c: "case 9944", userdefs "enter_key" and "esc_key": what are they good for? They never seem to be referenced.
- removal of hardcoded animwall[]: hm, maybe a flag too
- E1L10 hacks / menu hacks: this I'd rather not merge; after all it's like adding more hard-codedness. Need to think about how it could be made useful in a more general setting.

Attached File(s)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options