Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 Mod - Duke4.net Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 Mod

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postleilei, on 03 August 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

Did Duke really just tell a keycard to suck it down in the sub level?

"Keycard? I don't need no fucking keycard!"

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Sub... submarine, subway?

User is offline   Player Lin 

I noticed it's 0.9 release, is it will be 1.0 in sometime on future?...

Nah, I just want to wait the v1.0 of this mod for some stupid reasons... :P

User is offline   Fox 

How old are you? I want to know how much time you have left before I answer.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Hey fox i DEMAND 1.0. :P

User is offline   Fox 

Gimme a time machine and I can help you.

Figured I'd drop in and say this is awesome, I always wanted to see this because I never got on with FPS using controllers and of course, mice didn't work with emulators (which I try to avoid using anyway) - Played most of the first episode, very accurate so far.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I totally forgot that Rabid Transit had that tie-in with Gun Crazy. Very cool. Some of the Duke 64 levels are actually somewhat superior to the Duke 3D originals, or, shall I say I prefer them? Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What's the key to switch between alternate ammo for weapons? Or am I missing something?

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 August 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

What's the key to switch between alternate ammo for weapons? Or am I missing something?

Repress the key for the weapon in question. Should toggle the ammo.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Shouldn't there be a seperate key for more accessibility?

• Judge Mental

View PostMikko C, on 04 August 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Why? It's about as directly accessible as it can be. Press 2 for pistol, press 2 again to get dum dums. etc. Having a special key wouldn't do anything different.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMikko C, on 04 August 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

I'm guessing something like a alt fire button that swaps the gun modes, sort of like Redux/SWP?

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah. I use Next/Prev weapon keys. The number keys are not readily available to me (I play the with numpad). But I guess it's easy enough to do as it's not done THAT much. That said, I wouldn't complain if a new key was added to switch the ammo for your current held weapon.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

User is offline   Fox 

If you are using the next / previous weapon keys you get the console experience.

• The Sarien Encounter

Even on the N64 you could change ammo types, though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have finished the first episode last weekend, and all I can say is that this is ingenious. :P While I have never played the N64 version and therefore cannot state how faithful this mod really is, this is something you definitely shouldn't miss. Even if you know the levels from the PC version, these conversions usually feature enough changes to make it worth playing everything again.

What's also great is that there is the option to just directly continue with the next episode after the boss map of the previous one has been beaten (also keeping your arsenal). I also like that you can actually save the babes now (even though it has little benefit besides that it's mentioned on the level stats screen), so they are not just there to be either ignored or killed.

So far, I cannot say I have found any considerable bugs or stuff that really bothered me. However, maybe you can fix the (optional) level stats display when having the "full" HUD active (the numbers would cover the left HUD panel --> should be on top, if possible). I know that display should be turned off for an authentic experience, but I like having it active, anyway.

Other than that, I can only urgently recommend everyone to play this gem of a mod. It's at least as fun as playing the PC version, and the different weapons, map changes and new "cutscenes"/ending screens turn it into an enjoyable experience. Thanks to Fox for finally releasing this, and kudos to him for a job well done!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 04 August 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

Even on the N64 you could change ammo types, though.

I am quite sure you can't do that.

This post has been edited by Fox: 05 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

It's pretty neat to see all the map changes they did; the only bizarre thing is the 'censoring' they did of the hanging babe, which I've seen before but tried to block out of my mind. Instead of covering her up like the other ones, they instead removed her torso and the sprite now shows her spine visibly hanging out, with her leg also dangling in the air. That's one hell of a fucked up way to censor something :P

• Judge Mental

View PostJames, on 05 August 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

It's pretty neat to see all the map changes they did; the only bizarre thing is the 'censoring' they did of the hanging babe, which I've seen before but tried to block out of my mind. Instead of covering her up like the other ones, they instead removed her torso and the sprite now shows her spine visibly hanging out, with her leg also dangling in the air. That's one hell of a fucked up way to censor something :P

I think they were actively trying to take the piss out of the censorship anyway. They replaced sex with guns and fast food after all. Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

A sideboob is that dangerous. Basically Nintendo forbid the game of showing sex, drugs and religion, but was fine with the blood or guns. Also you can't kill human NPCs in the game, but you may find them already dead, or kill another player in a Deathmatch round.

You can't really take Nintendo guidelines serious, just look at their first standard:

Nintendo will not approve games (...) which:

• include sexually suggestive or explicit content including rape and/or nudity;

Is it just me or it sounds like rape is as bad as nudity?

This post has been edited by Fox: 05 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

• The Truth is in here

Censorship often leads to bizarre design decisions. After all, in this case it led to some level changes which I don't consider being so bad, actually. Of course, it is stupid to assume that a gun shop is morally "better" than a store with XXX magazines, but at least it gives us some deviations from the PC maps. ^^

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Is the grenade launched from the Grenade Launcher meant to go under the crosshair instead of through it?

• The Truth is in here

Gotta admit I had serious aiming problems with the grenade launcher, too. Whether or not this is due to what Lunick described, I dunno, though. You get kinda used to it after a while, though. And if you don't, well... you're screwed? xD

On the other hand, the uzis can also be quite inaccurate. Anyway, it's rather a challenge than an annoyance. Guess dual-wielding uzis and doing headshots with them all the time wouldn't be easy to pull off with real weapons, either...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 August 2013 - 04:59 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Awesome work Fox!

Gotta ask though, does it work with the software renderer?

View PostNightFright, on 05 August 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

Censorship often leads to bizarre design decisions.

Haha, my favourite is how the UK version of Shadow Warrior replaced shurikens with darts (per some British law that for some reason censored everything ninja-themed; also, IIRC the TNMT 1987 series were renamed into "Teenage Munat Hero Turtles" because of the same censorship policy). I they wanted to prevent kids who play the game from taking a bad example from the protagonist, showing him using darts as a weapon kind of doesn't work out at all since darts are, lightly speaking, a much more widely available item than shurikens. But the biggest fail here is that, you know, shurikens can have other shapes than stars too.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If your computer can run polymost, you should definitely use that. Otherwise you won't have the 3D models or correct perspective that's in the nintendo version.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

It doesn't work right in software... the explosions and SMALLSMOKE sprites are messed up.

• The Sarien Encounter

The grenade launcher is very authentic. Right down to having to aim higher than you'd think to hit a target. The grenade launcher is loads of fun, btw, just like the original.

I'm having a bug in episode 2. Whenever you see space outside a window it overlaps any sprites in front of it. I'll try to get a screenshot of this.

Also, even if you can't switch ammo in the original (I seem to remember doing it, but I could definitely be wrong) is it so bad to have a new key that accomplishes this? If it wasn't there in the original it was a bad design decision. Besides, it's not the console experience unless I'm using an N64 controller with it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

• Judge Mental

I really don't get why a new key is needed. Just press the damn weapon key again or scroll through the selection. If you're on shotgun it's just as many notches on the "next/prev weapon" key to get to explosive ammo as it would be to have this "alternate ammo key"

• The Sarien Encounter

I said it wasn't a big deal. It's just that I use the numpad to play and I'd have to reach all the way over to the other side of the keyboard. It's not absolutely necessary, but it would be nice. If you can really get to the alternate ammo with next/prev keys than there's no issue. I never noticed that was possible.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options