Duke4.net Forums: Looks like someone can now buy Blood IP - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looks like someone can now buy Blood IP

User is offline   Skulldog 

Looks like someone can now buy Blood IP.
http://www.geek.com/...n-july-1556174/

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Jace Hall will buy it if he was being serious about his Blood source port. Seriously, if he doesn't even consider this then his whole source port talk was just to screw around.

This post has been edited by Radar: 02 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I hope he knows.... and i hope he knows we know he might know.

I will just point to three tweets of mine concerning Blood rights:

https://twitter.com/...844378775142400

https://twitter.com/...845032772001793

https://twitter.com/...846114080333824

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

If some dumb asshole buys it I will literally kill everyone that has ever existed ever.

They can't sell what they don't own. They only own the publishing rights to the two games and their expansions. Not the actual IP.

With your 2d watermelon. :)

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 02 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Okay, killing everyone ever anyway.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostKristian Joensen, on 02 July 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

They can't sell what they don't own. They only own the publishing rights to the two games and their expansions. Not the actual IP.

Let me get this straight: Warner Bros. owns the IP?

View PostHendricks266, on 02 July 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Let me get this straight: Warner Bros. owns the IP?

Yes. That is correct. As the owners of Monolith, Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment owns the Blood IP.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

From who would Matt Saettler need permission in order to release the source legally?

View PostHendricks266, on 02 July 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

From who would Matt Saettler need permission in order to release the source legally?

According to himself in that interview(from 1999 or 2000) he would need permission from Monolith(So in this day and age WBIE, but maybe some body at Monolith as the necessary authority to make that decision(likely without them knowing it)).

Edit:

The exchange I was talking about:

"Frightfan: Should we wait until GT is persuaded to release the entire Blood source code?

Matt Saettler: Don't know about the Blood source from lith. I doubt they'll release it.

Frightfan: [Jason Hall] already said he would if it were up to him, but it isn't - it's GTI's game now.

Matt Saettler: Jace is wrong. I'm the one that negotiated the contracts. Jace probably doesn't even know what's really in them....

View PostKristian Joensen, on 02 July 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

According to himself in that interview(from 1999 or 2000) he would need permission from Monolith(So in this day and age WBIE, but maybe some body at Monolith as the necessary authority to make that decision(likely without them knowing it)).

Edit:

The exchange I was talking about:

Possession is nine-tenths of the law
http://en.wikipedia....0ths_of_the_law

Also Atari could sell publishers rights to someone.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 02 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'd just release it already. You can't stop the Streisand Effect. And do you really think they'd sue you over it? I doubt they even know they own it.

User is online   Lunick 

What if Atari doesn't want to publicly sell it either. Note in that old article that it does say that they will sell some of their lessor known games privately...In this day and age, Blood probably falls under that.

View PostLunick, on 02 July 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

What if Atari doesn't want to publicly sell it either. Note in that old article that it does say that they will sell some of their lessor known games privately...In this day and age, Blood probably falls under that.

They Sell the game on GOG, and Atari.com, so it may not be one of lessor known games.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I'm convinced that Blood will never see a legal source code release, and that the only way we will ever have it is by leakage.

This post has been edited by Radar: 02 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

If Warner Bros own it, you can pretty much consider that chance gone, the ship has sailed, no source code, ever.

Yay Blood TC!
Yay my DOS machines too.

Jace's kinda worried a/b the Blood IP getting lost due to legal wrangling in a tweet.

https://twitter.com/...696239611158530

EDIT: It really pisses me off that the video game industry doesn't want us to re-live our childhood memories by refusing to release the source codes to great classic games. Instead they're force-feeding us that COD generation down our throats like foie gras. If they keep it up w/ this anti-source code release stance legal bullshit. Then, 2nd Video Game Crash plz!

EDIT 2: Here's the GOG.com disscussion a/b who owns the right to Blood. It seems that WBIE canceled the trademark back in 2009.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 02 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

"It seems that WBIE canceled the trademark back in 2009. "

That is pretty much meaningless. There is a difference between a registered trademark and an unregistered one. Just because a trademark registration lapses doesn't mean you lose the trademark, only you lose the benefits to registation. However you can always file a new trademark application. Just like the new Apogee just did with ROTT. Even if you should lose a trademark entirely(which could happen under certain circumstances) that doesn't mean you lose IP ownership, because that covers others things such as copyright as well. Trademarks only concern names and logos* and the like.

*These are also covered by copyright.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 02 July 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

EDIT: It really pisses me off that the video game industry doesn't want us to re-live our childhood memories by refusing to release the source codes to great classic games. Instead they're force-feeding us that COD generation down our throats like foie gras. If they keep it up w/ this anti-source code release stance legal bullshit. Then, 2nd Video Game Crash plz!

Oh, please... The game is available, you can buy and play it anytime.

User is offline   ZedSlayer 

The question that still presses me is what do they stand to lose or gain from a source code release? If one were to look at all source code releases and their influence, it's only improved a companies reputation, and there is no loss to the company. It's not like releasing the source is the same as making a game freeware, you don't lose money over it.

User is offline   Kathy 

If it wasn't evident from the thread already, it is a legal problem. And the higher you go in subordination to sort this problem out the less people will care about doing it.

User is offline   Minigunner 

View PostGasSnake, on 02 July 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

The question that still presses me is what do they stand to lose or gain from a source code release? If one were to look at all source code releases and their influence, it's only improved a companies reputation, and there is no loss to the company. It's not like releasing the source is the same as making a game freeware, you don't lose money over it.

Warner Bros. has the rights to the Blood franchise for 95 years (and inevitably increasing); I very much doubt that they'd be willing to give up a legal protection that they only have to pay once* for, unless they were to go bankrupt like Atari.
*Remember back when copyright had to be renewed every couple of decades? Yeah, neither do I.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMinigunner, on 02 July 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Warner Bros. has the rights to the Blood franchise for 95 years

Holy shit..... Blood was made before computers were invented.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 02 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostReaperMan, on 02 July 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

Holy shit..... Blood was made before computers were invented.

:) :D Before tv as well.

User is offline   Minigunner 

I mean that WB's copyright will last 95+ years, not that it's had it for that long :) .

Still waiting for updates from Jace himself on The PostMortem: http://www.the-postm...php?f=25&t=1889

Anybody registered in the forums yet?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Besides Jace Hall, who else could buy it (that'd we want buying it)? Interceptor?

I'm all for the leaking thing mentioned earlier.. Seriously that sounds awesome. While we're at it, see if we can leak all those old alphas and betas so I can finally stop orgasming over the very thought of them!

This post has been edited by Moose Man: 04 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostMoose Man, on 04 July 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

Besides Jace Hall, who else could buy it (that'd we want buying it)? Interceptor?

I'm all for the leaking thing mentioned earlier.. Seriously that sounds awesome. While we're at it, see if we can leak all those old alphas and betas so I can finally stop orgasming over the very thought of them!

If Interceptor got the IP, their take on Blood would be absolutely insane.... Imagine Blood 1 being amplified by the imagination and engine of the new ROTT... :D :D :)

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options