User is offline   Lunick 

View PostFox, on 09 May 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

3DRealms still exists?

Posted Image

View PostFox, on 09 May 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

3DRealms still exists?

Uhh, yes they do:

The Future

I've read that 3D Realms is closing. Is that true?

SM: No, 3D Realms is not closing. The internal development is no longer a part of this business, though.

It seems like the whole blog world exploded talking about Duke Nukem Forever stopping production.

SM: There's a lawsuit around this, so I really can't get into any details on that.

I'm just worried about the future of 3D Realms.

SM: Our future is fine. We have, I think at last count, 11 or 12 projects in the works. One of them is coming out next week. Another one is coming out in about six weeks. Both of those are on the iPhone. We have some major games in production still. So we're fine. That's not an issue at all.
(Source)

Even so, I think I would have abandoned internal development six or seven years ago. I much prefer to work with external studios to develop games, as we did with Max Payne and Prey. Radar is following this very model, with no internal development. I wanted 3D Realms to switch to this model years ago, as it’s much more cost effective for us, with lower risk.
(source)

> Q3. Now that 3D Realms has sold the Prey and Duke Nukem IP what is planned
> for the future of 3D Realms?

We have a lot of options, especially with the resurgence of smaller
platform games, which goes back to our roots as the leader of indie
games 20 years ago. Making smaller games on a short time line is a lot
of fun, so we will be pursuing that, for sure. And through Radar, a
company we co-own, we will be developing several other projects,
including film projects. We'll be staying busy, there's no doubt of
that.
(Source)

Q1) Is 3D Realms currently involved in any projects and if so could you
discuss them at any length?

Yes, we have several projects underway, all fairly small -- not any
big console games. Once DNF comes out we'll be definitely looking to
invest into other projects, and maybe other up-n-coming teams who are
blazing new trails on smaller platforms, like smart phones and XBLA.
We have a long history of investing in young, unproven teams, going
way back to Id Software, and including other notables like Parallax
Software (we were the first studio to invest in Descent), and Remedy
Entertainment (Death Rally and Max Payne). So, we like that model and
will keep doing it in the future. We seem to have a good eye for
unproven talent waiting for some experienced guidance and hard-to-find
funding.
(Source)

They are still releasing games(most recently Duke Nukem II iOS with Interceptor Entertainment) and have recently signed on with GOG.

Edit:

and they actually have multiple projects in conjuction with Interceptor:

Will Interceptor Entertainment and 3D Realms work together on any future projects?

Frederik Schreiber: We have entered agreements on other games. Thats all I can say for now
(Source)

User is offline   Green 

The website has been updated with the Flying Wild Hog and Devolver Digital logos as well as a different background image.

Posted Image

[Official Shadow Warrior Website]

User is offline   necroslut 

I wonder if it'll be as over-the-top as it was in 1997, or if it'll be closer to the original concept. Not that it's a lot to go on, but the picture could be interpreted as a more realistic style.

View Postnecroslut, on 09 May 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I wonder if it'll be as over-the-top as it was in 1997, or if it'll be closer to the original concept. Not that it's a lot to go on, but the picture could be interpreted as a more realistic style.

Devolver Digital's recent tweets also point in that direction.

I think I just saw one guy compare Shadow Warrior to Birth of a Nation in terms of racism. Talk about blown out of proportion.

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

I cannot wait for this and I'm glad to see that an underrated classic is still not forgotten. I did wonder if they'd ever bring out a new one.

This is awesome! I'm in heaven now! I just hope to god they don't deviate from the classic design. I seriously hope it doesn't get the "console treatment" with regenerating health, weapon limits, hand holding, and voice/button prompts to tell people where to go when they get stuck! That's all I ask out of them. If they can remain true to the original while making a new game or hell even remastering it and including a lot of new content, I'll be very happy.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Ancient Chinese secrets!

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostGreen, on 09 May 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

The website has been updated with the Flying Wild Hog and Devolver Digital logos as well as a different background image.Posted Image[Official Shadow Warrior Website]

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is an in-game/engine render? If so, color me excited!

View Postnecroslut, on 09 May 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

What was this 'original concept' you speak of? I thought SW was always meant to be essentially an Oriental version of Duke 3D, with the same frantic DooM-esque action. Was it originally going to be a stealth game of sorts??

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

More duke and more lo wang is never a bad thing ;)

View PostDuke Rocks, on 09 May 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is an in-game/engine render? If so, color me excited!

What was this 'original concept' you speak of? I thought SW was always meant to be essentially an Oriental version of Duke 3D, with the same frantic DooM-esque action. Was it originally going to be a stealth game of sorts??

The original concept was more old-school ninja and less rocket launchers and oneliners, there are some old screenshots.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Racism bullshit? Seriously...do those racists still think they'll f***ed up again like 3DRealms did...?

But for now just too early to judge about this new SW...... ;)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 09 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View Postnecroslut, on 09 May 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

The original concept was more old-school ninja and less rocket launchers and oneliners, there are some old screenshots.

I must admit that I for one prefer rocket launchers and oneliners - though added old-school ninja elements wouldn't be so bad either.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostAchenar, on 09 May 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

I must admit that I for one prefer rocket launchers and oneliners - though added old-school ninja elements wouldn't be so bad either.

Except stealth...well, not really a fan of that. ;)

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postnecroslut, on 09 May 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

I think I just saw one guy compare Shadow Warrior to Birth of a Nation in terms of racism. Talk about blown out of proportion.

Comparing to The Birth Of A Nation should be considered a compliment, whatever the reason.

User is offline   Paul B 

Two wangs are better than one! You want to wash wang? Or do you want to watch Wang wash wang lol

Brings back memories of the memorable RTS files.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 09 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

User is offline   Cage 

I loved the interactivity and the modern/realistic set pieces in the original SW, never liked the cheesy monsters or the fantasy parts. I'm wondering what plans they have for this one.

No time to read through the linked Twitter, but you've guys mentioned a more realistic approach - I think the developers should keep some of the another realm/magic stuff of the original. A story with a totally realistic, gritty, corporate-ninja beginning with more and more evidence of Zilla's dark and otherworldly deeds along the way - I'd like to see that.

I'd like the game to be a bit less cheesy than the original too, but not more serious! Wittyness and crude humor is a must! ;)

Not that thrilled about the graphics though, seems like a typical detailed-realistic fare we have plenty nowadays

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostCage, on 09 May 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

A story with a totally realistic, gritty, corporate-ninja beginning with more and more evidence of Zilla's dark and otherworldly deeds along the way - I'd like to see that.

Wouldn't be much point in calling it Shadow Warrior then. After only one game there is little reason to make a stylistic reboot when a completely new IP would be better suited for this.

This post has been edited by Cathy: 09 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

User is offline   Cage 

I said they shouldn't scrap that "shadow" part of the content/story ;) I just think it could be better, more consistent and better introduced - the original Shadow Warrior seemed to be a bit random in this regard, IMO.

Our next project is finally revealed, we're working on a total reimagining of Shadow Warrior with Devolver Digital

http://shadowwarrior.com/

Flying Wild Hog on Facebook.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Not excited. Fully prepared to be let down. Hopefully surprised. Not gonna let DNF happen again.

User is offline   supergoofy 

I hope that this will not be another failure like DNF.

Though it will be developed by Devolver Digital and not Gearbox, that's why I'm not losing hope, yet.

View Postsupergoofy, on 09 May 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

I hope that this will not be another failure like DNF.

Though it will be developed by Devolver Digital and not Gearbox, that's why I'm not losing hope, yet.

It is published by Devolver Digital and developed by Flying Wild Hog.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Well, I don't expect these guys to deliver a poorly worked piece of shit in 15 years, but from what I've read it might be a good game in it's own right.... but just maybe poor usage of the IP. I hope not. I hope it's the Lo Wang we all love, but I'm gonna hold out on excitement until I get more.

User is offline   Gambini 

It is just me or people are all getting excited about a picture with a logo and a spinning sword model?

User is offline   Tetsuo 

The teaser image does seem to imply "gritty reboot" to me. But I reserve judgement until I see something more concrete like at least screenshots or gameplay videos. Even though even those may not represent the final product either.

To be honest I'd be rather disappointed if they stripped out all the humor including the anime\pop culture references. Personally I'd like some b-movie'ness to it and not just total "grimdark".

Also, I'm OK with stealth so long as it's completely optional and you don't get a fail message the first time you are spotted.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 09 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Double Fine designer J.P. LeBreton (the guy who broke the Prey embargo) isn't happy about another Shadow Warrior. https://twitter.com/...505334109335553

It should be noted he didn't mind being paid by 3D Realms when he worked at Human Head Studios.

Other concerns voiced over Twitter: What's left when you remove the casual racism and racial stereotyping? A couple interesting weapons?

Digital Devolver: Unique gameplay mechanics, an interesting relationship between hero and employer, and an unusual setting and scenarios. But again, that is our challenge to prove and hopefully we will do that over the coming months! As you point out, it's seems odd but we know this will be a challenge. (https://twitter.com/...510546588999680) They have the right attitude. I hope they keep the humour and aren't afraid to be a bit silly.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 09 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostGambini, on 09 May 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

It is just me or people are all getting excited about a picture with a logo and a spinning sword model?

Exactly what I noticed. I pulled out my phone first thing this morning and looked at the picture with my eyes still half shut. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw paragraphs and paragraphs of speculation already being written. I don't care about this until I see a trailer.

This post has been edited by Radar: 09 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I have a feeling that it won't have regen health/two weapon limit. Devolver does Serious Sam, so they know how health packs and full weapons can make a fun and modern game. Plus, Max Payne 3 didn't have regen health, and that was hugely successful, although the weapons were restricted to a main gun and two hand guns.

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options