Duke4.net Forums: Those simple questions thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Those simple questions thread  "Simple questions, simple answers"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I'm using r7136, and both methods of sliding door with switch seem to work fine.

Attached File  slidingdoor2.zip (616bytes)
Number of downloads: 222

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMark, on 29 January 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

I make my doors with red sectors and not attached to the walls. No stretching. I disable grid locking so I can move the doors very close together so its harder to see a seam.

I could be wrong, but try giving your SE's a high tag number = the activator & switch lo tag #

(i.e. in your example the SE would be tagged 12, 15)

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

User is online   Mark 

It gets stranger. Yesterday's test in the Decay map worked fine. Today I tried Forge's suggestion with adding hitags. It stopped working. I put things back to my original working lotags only and it doesn't work now. :) So I deleted the activators and switch and put them back in from scratch using the lotags from yesterday's working version. It doesn't work now yet its identical to the working version.

This post has been edited by Mark: 30 January 2019 - 05:58 AM

User is offline   Forge 

what snapshot are you using?
i would like to avoid it.

here's another fun one:
at least with snapshots I've tried from 7136 thru 7144 (could be in earlier and later as well - haven't verified)

make a masked wall - give it texture 663 forcefield

change your mind and use M to remove the forcefield masked wall.

hahaha! mapster voodoo - it's gone in the build program, but still there in game.

I found the only way to make it go away & stop showing up in game is to give the wall a different masked texture - like glass, then remove that texture.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 January 2019 - 08:51 AM

User is online   Mark 

I've been using 6927 for the working and non-working versions.
I figured out the problem. The first time I tested the sliding door with switch I put an activator sprite in only one of the 2 doors and they both open. Every time since then I was putting an activator in EACH door. Thats when it stopped working.

That answers my problem but not the OP's. I suppose we should have asked at the beginning if the sliding door works without the switch and activator. :) Hopefully with Forge's map examples the OP will figure it out.

This post has been edited by Mark: 30 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMark, on 30 January 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

I figured out the problem. The first time I tested the sliding door with switch I put an activator sprite in only one of the 2 doors and they both open. Every time since then I was putting an activator in EACH door. Thats when it stopped working.

that's a neat trick
does every sliding door in your map work with only one activator sprite, or just the ones in the same child sector?

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

User is online   Mark 

I rarely used dual sliding doors. I can only think of 2 times. I'll go and doublecheck the 2nd one. Ah, never mind, I remember it wasn't switch activated.

Speaking of neat trick, instead of pointing the SE towards the end of the door rotate it 90 degrees. Now the door/sector will move forward and back instead of left and right. A cool way of making a hidden step come out of a wall or who knows what else. It happened to me by accident yesterday when I was messing with the door issue.

This post has been edited by Mark: 30 January 2019 - 09:07 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on 30 January 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

that's a neat trick
does every sliding door in your map work with only one activator sprite, or just the ones in the same child sector?

Just made a test map

yes, putting one activator in one door will make every sliding door in a map operate, no matter where it is. - if the SE 15's all have the same hi tag

also verified using more than one activator in multiple sliding door sectors that have SE 15's with he same hi-tag will make the doors not function.

if the SE 15's have unique hi tag numbers, then an activator (with the same lo tag #) in each door sector will make both doors operate.

I don't recall ever making double-sliding doors - usually just singles, so I've never come across this quirk.
learn something new all the time.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

I believe you recently witnessed another quirk of double sliding doors and how they behave when subjected to SE10, though there's likely a way around this, have a few things in mind. The doors will simply move back and forth forever, so if ceiling doors weren't easier to set up and put in a loop it would probably be useful for making ambient sounds which aren't actually defined as ambient sounds. Plus it's toggle-able with ceiling doors, they're far more reliable for effect abuse as I also think sliding doors operating this way can slowly shift out of place over time and 'run away' across the map.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 30 January 2019 - 09:28 AM

User is offline   Forge 

a sliding door with an se10 for ambient sounds can be useful

the only thing I didn't like about it is that there's no real control on the range of distance the sound can be heard - it has to be manipulated by placement

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Yeah, sliding doors get linked like that. You must insert a hitag to make them unique, leaving them zero will likely make it affect all doors in a map (assuming you never bothered to hitag those).

A in a door will disable it's normal use but D won't. This only applies to a single sector.

However...
Best practice is to have only one A in a door set but that would leave one door usable. I usually go around this and just dedicate activatorlocked 666 and "lock use" with it and recycle that for a lot of map elements that I wish to lock.

Typical duke stuff that you likely end up discovering the hard way :)

FYI, for steps that come out, I recommend using bridge FX as that is more of a wallpoint dragger where ST25 doors move the whole sector as one.
ST25 can be though as "move all wallpoints in a sector at a fixed direction upon use". Kind of like a limted use 2way train without any locators.
You can still use this as a rudimentary wallpoint dragger by having other walls that are directly attached to it and get dragged along.

Bridge on the other hand can "morph" the geometry without moving it as a whole. Too bad the use cases are quite limited in duke and the behavior can be slightly unpredictable.
Bad point with dragging method is that wall textures tend to stretch.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Thank you all for your help. And thanks Forge for his test map. :)

View PostMark, on 30 January 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

This is the problem I was having. I wanted to make an elevator with sliding doors, one each floor, so using one activator for each one wasn't possible.

I ended up creating a piece of code to make it work:

However, it's very buggy. It has one special sprite in each floor, and another one inside the elevator. The two on the floors have the elevator's sprite ID saved in its extra member, but this ID changes almost everytime the map's sprite count is changed. Also, you can't call the elevator from the upper floor the first time because unknown reasons. So it looks cool, but doesn't work. :lol:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Do not put the sprite ID directly into extra using mapster. Instead, give the special sprites a tag that matches a unique tag on the elevator. Then, in eventloadactor (alternatively, EVENT_LOADACTOR) make those sprites run a loop that searches for an elevator of the tag matching their own. Only then do you put the sprite ID into a per-actor var.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Thanks for your help! I finally managed to make it work.

The special sprite is used inside the elevator and also in each floor as a button. The elevator needs three tags; two for the doors and another one for the elevator itself, so I use the special sprite's hitag, lotag and extra to save them. Then I created a per-actor variable to know in which position the elevator is, to know if it has to go up or down when you call it from outside. Lastly, I used headspritestat to get the elevator's sprite ID and access this variable.

Now that I learned how to use headspritestat/sect and how to access an actor's own variables, I also solved an old issue I had some years ago, which given solution I couldn't understand back then. Let's go! :)

User is offline   LAW 

This is not a question regarding EDuke32, but maybe someone knows the answer. JFSW had *.ogg (or *.mp3?) support for the music. Is this possible in JFDN? I ask because the only port of Duke Nukem on the Classic Xbox is based on Jonof's port.

User is offline   Forge 

megaton used the Jono port & *.ogg

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

So I have a corrption in a map I was working on. Is there a way to search by wall number?

User is online   Mark 

in 2d mode press ALT and ] to cycle thru the errors. The error message will show at the bottom of the screen. Look fast because it only lasts a second or two for some reason.

This post has been edited by Mark: 24 May 2019 - 12:31 PM

User is offline   Forge 

make a back-up copy
open a console and type:

corruptcheck tryfix

User is offline   Gambini 

Modellers or eduke32 coders:

Is there any way to know which skin belongs to which surface when you create a model with more than one material?

Everytime i create a model which uses more than one material (for example a car for which wheels.png is the material for the wheels and body.png is the material for the body).

I have to spend sometimes hours trying to figure out which surface belongs to which skin. I begin to make trial and error like this, but it takes saving, reloading mapster, etc for every line and it is very frustrating.

skin { pal 0 surface 0 file "SEMI.PNG" }
 skin { pal 0 surface 1 file "SEMITRUK.PNG" }
 skin { pal 0 surface 3 file "SEMI.PNG" }
 skin { pal 0 surface 4 file "SEMITRUK.PNG" }
 skin { pal 0 surface 5 file "SEMITRUK.PNG" }
 skin { pal 0 surface 6 file "SEMITRUK.PNG" }
 skin { pal 0 surface 7 file "SEMITRUK.PNG" }
 skin { pal 0 surface 8 file "SEMITRUK.PNG" }
 skin { pal 0 surface 9 file "SEMITRUK.PNG" }
 skin { pal 0 surface 10 file "SEMITRUK.PNG" }

User is online   Mark 

I don't know about other programs, but 2 that I use Misfit Model 3D and Npherno both list the materials in order from first to last.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Assuming you are using Blender the order in which you select objects to be exported determines the order of surfaces in the md3, last selected first in the list, that's if I remember correctly.

I export from mistif3d too, i have two objects, one with one skin and the other with another skin. It still requires sometimes to blindly define 8-10 surfaces.

Today i reached 100 lines of "skin { pal 0 surface ** file "SEMITRUK.PNG" }" without luck, cleared textures cache all times, yet it didnt work.

For this particular model, out of frustration i ended up creating a larger png file with all details put togheter... But it will happen again and it´s a shame.

User is online   Mark 

You're a glutton for punishment. I usually won't use a model if it has more than about 10-12 textures/objects. And you had one with 100? <_<

• Judge Mental

Damn, that's really pushing the engine! I don't think i've ever seen a model with that man individual pieces.

View PostMark, on 24 May 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

in 2d mode press ALT and ] to cycle thru the errors. The error message will show at the bottom of the screen. Look fast because it only lasts a second or two for some reason.

View PostForge, on 24 May 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

make a back-up copy
open a console and type:

corruptcheck tryfix

Thank you guys. In all the years of fucking with BUILD I had no idea...

View PostMark, on 25 May 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

You're a glutton for punishment. I usually won't use a model if it has more than about 10-12 textures/objects. And you had one with 100? <_<

View PostCommando Nukem, on 25 May 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

Damn, that's really pushing the engine! I don't think i've ever seen a model with that man individual pieces.

No guys, you´re misunderstanding me.

The model has two selectable objects, which use each a different material. It´s just that for some reason i have to assign these materials to many surfaces, because somewhere between creating it and porting it to md3 polygons get assigned to many "surfaces" which i later have to blindly nail in order.

• Judge Mental

That is really, really weird. Honestly it might be less hassle to try and merge the objects in the editor and have just two material/surface references to deal with.

User is online   Mark 

I would have to have the model to test my theory, but did you try selecting Materials/clean groups? That will merge identical materials and groups.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostGambini, on 25 May 2019 - 06:29 PM, said:

No guys, you´re misunderstanding me.

The model has two selectable objects, which use each a different material. It´s just that for some reason i have to assign these materials to many surfaces, because somewhere between creating it and porting it to md3 polygons get assigned to many "surfaces" which i later have to blindly nail in order.

It's a problem with your exporter. 1 object should = 1 surface. Switch to Blender lol.

User is online   Mark 

Yeah, I'm not totally understanding him. He stated there are only 2 selectable objects so how could there be so many surfaces.
Gambini, could you zip the model and textures ( original and converted ) and post here so we could solve the mystery?

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options