Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Released for PC & Mac - Duke4.net Forums

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Released for PC & Mac

User is offline   Loke 

View PostGeneralArcade, on 20 March 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

First of all I would like to say thank you to whole duke4.net community and specially to Lunick, Green, NUKEMDAVE, Yatta, TerminX for supporting us.

Second, please don't blame Lunick, NUKEMDAVE or somebody else for Duke+ bugs/issues. They volunteer themselves to help us with testing and their feedback was extremely helpful. You can blame us, we (General Arcade) are responsible for issues and we are gonna work hard to fix them. Please keep posting issue, concerns, advices and feature requests in this thread. I'm always reading Duke+ related threads, but not always have a time to reply. Thanks.

Add separate mouse sensitivity for the y-axis/x-axis scales. As of now the vertical sensitivity feels uneven, i.e. slower, compared to the horizontal. This was very noticeable when I tried playing the game in 720p.

This post has been edited by Loke: 21 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostJames, on 21 March 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

While I think there are flaws that have been brought up, I don't think comparing it to Eduke32 (which is a project spanning over a decade) is fair. This port is gonna be aimed at people who haven't got Duke or who want a Steam version of it. At the end of the day all of us here already own the game, so spending extra money on a different version with a source port is just something we do as hardcore fans.

Ultimately you can also buy this and then drop Eduke32 into it's root directory and use it that way, so there shouldn't be a 'It's this or Eduke' mentality. See this as a way to get more people playing Duke, and possibly checking out our projects (which is always good news)

Exactly. Many here come off as fanatics.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I already bought it too, especially with the current 10% discount you get on Steam. I don't have a problems with having two copies of the game on my hard drive. There is enough space on it anyway and the versions are different enough to justify it. I will use Steam for "vanilla" usage (no modifications), EDuke32 for HRP sessions. Let's rock! :angry:

The only thing which is poor are the achievements. It's not much more than finishing all the episodes and do some minor stuff in there. Could have been a bit more, but I guess this can be changed with later updates (which apparently are planned).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

Got it and played some time, feel good with fresh new playing style with the port and the new menu, HUD is fine, but except some removal of old duke3d/jfduke3d functions, like good'ol of F1-F11 functions since DOS Duke3D.
(OK for me, but really don't think it needed to removing them, just confusing and missing them...)

Music is not enough loudly, when sounds always loudly at the same volume of sound level, my ear hurts when I try to listen loudly music but the sounds also too.

Playing at 800x600, I don't really feel different about mouse sensibility when it based on jfduke3d, it just as shitty as jfduke3d was, thanks eduke32. :D

Oh, and because it based on jfduke3d, I can still get some random CTDs without any warning/error message and lost my progress of the game. As usual of jfduke3d, the stdout.txt didn't recorded anythings about crashes as back then. :angry:

I guess I still needed save a lot just like I was played on jfduke3d. :woot:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 21 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Just plonked down my six quid. I've now actually got FOUR copies of Duke on my drive now. This, the COG one from when it was free and 2 copies of EDuke. A 'Development' version and one for regular playing.

It's nice to have the new menus systems. It's brilliant to have all the expansions. I concur on the weird controls. I can't honestly remember if they were like that in the original version or not. Waiting with baited breath for multiplayer.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostJames, on 21 March 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

I can't remember, was it about multiplayer?

More than that, he wanted to add a bunch of retarded shit and keep it closed source.

The new menu font is actually pretty kick ass.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 21 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostTea Monster, on 21 March 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

Just plonked down my six quid. I've now actually got FOUR copies of Duke on my drive now.

If you think that's a lot, you're way, way off.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostNightFright, on 21 March 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

I will use Steam for "vanilla" usage (no modifications)

Yeah, because the lack of sector visibility or negative shade support in a 4 month old port really does the original game justice, completely unlike the years of effort we've put into making the OpenGL modes actually look similar to the classic renderer in EDuke32!

I think we should look for a new HRP maintainer.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHendricks266, on 21 March 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

*Some of the Megaton textures (such as the loading screen/main menu background and the status bar) appear stretched or squished in EDuke32. This is because these particular Megaton assets do not match the dimensions of the original art tiles and the Megaton port was modified to treat these tiles as special cases. (Thanks to Lunick for testing.)

These textures also only affect the screens and menus in the Megaton Edition, not the in-game tiles. Eduke32 needs a setuptile-esque command that work only for screens instead of sprites.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 21 March 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

These textures also only affect the screens and menus in the Megaton Edition, not the in-game tiles. Eduke32 needs a setuptile-esque command that work only for screens instead of sprites.

Lunick tested the following for me:

setuptile 2462 427 34 0 14 // 427 = (1920 / 4.5)
No effect.

tilefromtexture 2462 { file "hires/megaton_hud_test_8bit.png" yoffset 14 }
Some effect: 32 bit, 8 bit

tilefromtexture 2462 { file "hires/megaton_hud_test_8bit.png" xoffset -53 yoffset 14 }
No change from previous. (The statusbar must be drawn with the orientation bit that discards offsets and we can't change that.)

texture 2462 { pal 0 { file "hires/hudfin1920.png" } xscale 1.3333333333333333333333333333333 }
texture 2462 { pal 0 { file "hires/hudfin1920.png" } xscale 1.33 }
No effect from either.

I think it might be fixable with a new def command that would also implement widescreen menu backgrounds. It would only stretch or squish the texture in one dimension, overflowing the rest in a centered fashion.

• The Truth is in here

I neither wrote nor think the Megaton engine/port is great or superior to EDuke32, but I will use (or at least try) it anyway. There's nothing wrong with that. I know what they use for the Steam release is outdated and not recommended for regular usage, and I will probably stop using it again after a complete playthrough. It is irrelevant still.

I won't hide that technically, I don't know squat about either EDuke32 or any other port which is available for the game. There are others to take care of that. Maybe that disqualifies me to make any valid statement of remaining value about this stuff, but it's not like I am even trying.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 22 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

Do anyone's DN3D:ME crashed to desktop a lot like me? I played it about 30 minutes and it CTD-ed about 10-15 times and feel so annoying... :angry:

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostPlayer Lin, on 22 March 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

Do anyone's DN3D:ME crashed to desktop a lot like me? I played it about 30 minutes and it CTD-ed about 10-15 times and feel so annoying... :angry:

I think Mickey C was having that issue.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNZRage, on 22 March 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

I think Mickey C was having that issue.

Micky* C was messaging me about that issue. We solved it by verifying the cache of the Steam files. You might have some corrupt files there somwhere.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

No I had a different issue. It sounds like they got to play for a decent length of time, then it would randomly CTD. My problem is that it would always crash when the nuke explosion movie finished playing whenever I tried launching the program, it never even reached the menu. It's fixed now, but its still unrelated.

View PostLunick, on 22 March 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Micky* C was messaging me about that issue. We solved it by verifying the cache of the Steam files. You might have some corrupt files there somwhere.

Thanks.
I will try verifying my damned game and back to post about it works or not. :angry:

EDIT: NO, it still do random CTDs as usual, and now I lost my whole Episode 2 savegames of whole night run on today, **** this piece of shit. X_X

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 23 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

The original Duke!Zone wasn't all that good, but Duke!Zone 2 was pretty good from my memory. I'd suggest supporting that. As for Duke Extreme, the maps from it were good, but the launcher and CON code was broken as all fuck. Exclude that stuff, but definitely Include the maps from it, especially the DukeMatch maps, Please! Mohave and so many other maps on there like MiniDoom were my favorites for online play.

The only other thing I can think of, is fix the mouse lag, and when Multiplayer comes along, make it client/server and sync independent with in-game joining support.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 24 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

User is online   Sangman 

Bought it, played it, seemed like it crashed fairly often which I hope they fix. Mouse control is awkward.

It's nice to have an easy access to the expansions now, but if that was never an issue for you in the first place there's really no reason to get this. At least not until multiplayer is introduced. Or mod/user map support making use of the community thing. Man, installing and playing mods on the fly through Steam would be so sweet... But until that happens EDuke32 is superiour in every way.

edit: well ok maybe not really, the menu and highres background is pretty awesome.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 24 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Awww yeah.

Posted Image

User is offline   LkMax 

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition will continue to receive feature updates including Steamworks-enabled online multiplayer, new achievements and integration of additional Duke Nukem 3D expansion packs.

Does anyone have more information about what exactly they mean here?
It might be worth getting this compilation in the future depending on the planned updates.

• The Truth is in here

Well, they should focus on fixing the sound first. The playback is pretty terrible with a lot of crackles and music tracks not looping properly (a problem with the recordings they use, which also have a lot of clipping included btw), at least for me.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Just gonna point out some things:

http://steamcommunit...19691057972769/ This topic was pinned on the Steam Hub Forums. More achievements so it looks like a less copy paste of the Xbox ones :angry:

http://steamcommunit...19691111643153/ Problems with your mouse?

http://steamcommunit...19691091415970/ FAQ here with interesting points such as: Quick quick save/load feature will be available as a patch in couple days

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=133313274 Better music and loops properly.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Texture problem:

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostLunick, on 25 March 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

http://steamcommunit...19691057972769/ This topic was pinned on the Steam Hub Forums. More achievements so it looks like a less copy paste of the Xbox ones :angry:

Finish Stadium level using only the Mighty Boot.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 25 March 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Texture problem:

Like I said in PM before, they seem to fix one texture glitch and another one pops up somewhere else.

View PostFox, on 25 March 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Finish Stadium level using only the Mighty Boot.

I'd like to see that done in Multiplayer or something.

• The Truth is in here

BTW I have posted my 5 cents about the Megaton Edition in the Steam forums. Incredible that they still have no separate forum section for the game, you gotta use the one they have for DNF.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNightFright, on 26 March 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

BTW I have posted my 5 cents about the Megaton Edition in the Steam forums. Incredible that they still have no separate forum section for the game, you gotta use the one they have for DNF.

Erm, the reason why that menu graphics occur if you use the megaton grp file is not because they edited that, it's because Hendricks programmed eduke32 that way... As far a we know, only the Caribbean and DC grp files are different.

Also, the reason why they haven't made a forum is because 3D Realms hasn't requested one and Valve are pushing towards only using the Steam Community Hubs now.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 26 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

• The Truth is in here

Oh, good to know. I will correct that entry then before anyone will ask for my head. xD Thanks for clearifying this, I thought I had read this somewhere. In that case, I guess the two versions of duke3d.grp in the Megaton and DOSBox dirs are absolutely identical?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNightFright, on 26 March 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

Oh, good to know. I will correct that entry then before anyone will ask for my head. xD Thanks for clearifying this, I thought I had read this somewhere. In that case, I guess the two versions of duke3d.grp in the Megaton and DOSBox dirs are absolutely identical?

Yup, Hendricks made me get the md5 things and compare them with his grp files.

Vacation turned up different and I don't think Duke DC ever had a grp file anyway?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Just clarifying:

duke3d.grp and nwinter.grp are identical to what we already have. vacation.grp has been modified to include all the CON files for the add-on. dukedc.grp has never been included in a distributed product before (the SSI files extract to loose files), but it differs from most grps made (including ones by my installer scripts) by including duplicates of the vanilla GAME.CON and DEFS.CON. (Duke DC only modifies USER.CON for the episode name, level names, and cutscene sounds.) No changes of substance were made.

Megaton's extra menu and HUD graphics are defined via duke3d.def, just like the HRP. (Megaton is based on JFDuke3D after all.) They displayed glitched in EDuke32 (for now...) because the Megaton port includes hacks (as I explained in a previous post) to mess with the reported tile sizes of the 8-bit art so their widescreen graphics display "correctly".

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options