Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Released for PC & Mac - Duke4.net Forums

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition Released for PC & Mac

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMrGlasses, on 27 March 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

While there are thousands of hours of high quality content, but there is also millions of terrible user made content. Finding the quality ones is just painful and difficult to install most of the time. Steam's Workshop might help a bit, but I'd rather have a Nexus style site where downloading and installing is piece of cake.

There's nothing hard about downloading a file and putting it in the folder it belongs. That's basic computing 101.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Depends. I've downloaded a few level mods where the content of the mod is the map itself - and "USER.CON", "GAME.CON", "something.VOC" and "TILES00X.ART". Since my Duke3D folder is cluttered as it is, it becomes a hassle to rename, store, and backup files for reuse. Because of this I usually have multiple iterations of Duke3D/EDuke32 on my hard drive. :)

This post has been edited by Achenar: 27 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

What is so hard about creating a sub folder "mod" and then using Eduke32's built in user mod dir option? Again. Basic computing.

Duke Nukem is nowhere even near the hardest game to get mods running for. It is quite user friendly.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Thanks for the source code. After a brief look at it, it looks like you're going to need to add Helixhorned and Plagman's names to the credits as well (as well as note that some code was used from EDuke32). :)

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostCommando Nukem, on 27 March 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

What is so hard about creating a sub folder "mod" and then using Eduke32's built in user mod dir option? Again. Basic computing.

Sometimes EDuke32 refuses to detect any or all of the items in the mod subfolder, as I unhappily found to be the case when I tried running Platoon.

I mean, sure, I could have been doing something wrong - but launching mods that have a lot of graphical or scripting changes is not as easy as you make it out to be.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 27 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostAchenar, on 27 March 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Sometimes EDuke32 refuses to detect any or all of the items in the mod subfolder, as I unhappily found to be the case when I tried running Platoon.

I mean, sure, I could have been doing something wrong - but launching mods that have a lot of graphical or scripting changes is not as easy as you make it out to be.

Sure it is. I have never had a problem with any of the classic TCs. You take their assets, put them in a mod folder, and run. It really is that easy. Besides, that wasn't even the major point here. Straight up user maps(which make up the bulk of the custom content for Duke) are as simple as drag and drop.

User is offline   Kathy 

I found it easier to make different DN3d game folders(or setups) for different mods. So that nothing will screw the main game folder.

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

View PostCathy, on 27 March 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

I found it easier to make different DN3d game folders(or setups) for different mods. So that nothing will screw the main game folder.

And as I said, it's too complicated for gamers who don't understand "complicated" installation procedures. When Eduke32 can read TC mod folder without a single problem, then the problem is no more. But so far, I had problems with some TCs I downloaded years ago.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostGeneralArcade, on 27 March 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

If you need any help with compiling source you can send me a message and I'm glad to help.

Heh, it'd certainly be a lot easier if it was composed of a simple makefile, but no, I have to deal with Visual Studio again. .|.X,._.,X.|. Ah well, I'm almost there. It's a bit odd having to compile the third party libraries first.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Question: Why do we have 3 topics for Megaton edition?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

One of them was the "they're working on this thing called Duke 3D+" type thing. This thread it the "oh look it's been released" and the one General Arcade said to post the bugs in. And the one in the modifications section is just one that a random recently-joined member created to ask something.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

And actually one of them isn't even Megaton exclusive, it's about Duke3D+ AND Shadow Warrior+.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostLunick, on 26 March 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

I can see this getting downvoted to oblivion.

*sees the post with -17 points* My job here is done :)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostFox, on 26 March 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

How can Eduke be "ugly" without the HRP?

Because idiots are like "WHERES MUH MODERN GRAFIX?"

LOL at derps who are like "It's too hard to juggle mod and map installations." I could do this when I was like ten. WAY before EDuke32, when you had to do this shit manually after spending three hours downloading it on dialup.

This post has been edited by JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy: 27 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Does anyone else have sound issues with Megaton? I dunno why, but the sound quality is really poor, with crackles as if played back through an old radio with bad reception. Also, the music which is included definitely needs proper cutting (for better looping) and normalization. Looking at the OGGs, there is considerable clipping to be found in most of the tracks. Did none of the devs have a look at this before release? It looks unfinished, to say the least. Would be great to address this in a future update.

What I have written earlier about me intending to use Megaton for "vanilla" playing purposes turned out to be a huge pile of crap after actually really PLAYING it. It's not only about the sound, it's also about lacking more graphics settings, glitched visuals (e.g. scuba gear with seams at its center where the sprite is mirrored) and more. It's a rushed release which is easy to see. I believe the worst issues could get fixed with updates, so it might not be a total loss. But even then, this is nowhere near the "brand new tricks" which were promised in trailers.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNightFright, on 28 March 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

Does anyone else have sound issues with Megaton? I dunno why, but the sound quality is really poor, with crackles as if played back through an old radio with bad reception. Also, the music which is included definitely needs proper cutting (for better looping) and normalization. Looking at the OGGs, there is considerable clipping to be found in most of the tracks. Did none of the devs have a look at this before release? It looks unfinished, to say the least. Would be great to address this in a future update.

What I have written earlier about me intending to use Megaton for "vanilla" playing purposes turned out to be a huge pile of crap after actually really PLAYING it. It's not only about the sound, it's also about lacking more graphics settings, glitched visuals (e.g. scuba gear with seams at its center where the sprite is mirrored) and more. It's a rushed release which is easy to see. I believe the worst issues could get fixed with updates, so it might not be a total loss. But even then, this is nowhere near the "brand new tricks" which were promised in trailers.

Posted Image Say hello to eduke32 with the same problem :)

But I can agree that the OGG files can be much much better. If you look the Steam Community Hub there are better sound files that loop properly and sound good.

• The Truth is in here

Yeah well, I guess you could replace the music tracks with one of the music packs from our HRP site for example and it should be a considerable improvement. Yet it's sad to see the soundtrack which comes with the MT edition in such a poor condition.

Does anyone know how they created those music remakes? They used a special soundfont for the MIDIs or...?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

scuba gear with seams at its center where the sprite is mirrored

View PostLunick, on 28 March 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

Say hello to eduke32 with the same problem :)

Though Eduke has the same problem, it's not something that should be allowed in an official release. How much work would it take to make it a single sprite?

Since we are there, I suppose that a hack to fix it in Eduke would be to have an option to merge sprites together. It would require a global variable similar to guniqueid, which if not zero would make merge sprites being displayed with rotatesprite.

This post has been edited by Fox: 28 March 2013 - 03:39 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Does anyone else have sound issues with Megaton? I dunno why, but the sound quality is really poor, with crackles as if played back through an old radio with bad reception.

Glad I'm not the only that noticed this, thought I was going crazy. I've tried recording it but with no luck as it seems to happen completely random after playing for a certain amount of time.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I only hear the chopping in the music when I alt tab out of the game.

I do get some weird visual anomalies every now and then:
Attached Image: 2013-03-25_00010.jpg

User is offline   Lunick 

If you want weird chopping music, dash around the checkout area in Shop N Bag.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostFox, on 28 March 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

Though Eduke has the same problem, it's not something that should be allowed in an official release. How much work would it take to make it a single sprite?

Exactly.

Big, brand new release, and ... Eh, whatever. We'll just throw it on STEAM before it's even fully ready. Who gives a sh*t, right? Posted Image

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 28 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

• The Truth is in here

For your listening "pleasure", I have recorded a few minutes of me playing Megaton. It demonstrates the poor music and sound quality.

Megaton ingame sound (2.8 MB)

The artifacts you hear are NOT happening due to OGG compression. It was recorded as WAV and compressed with OGG quality level 5, which is really good. As a side info, I have a really good soundcard (SB X-Fi Ti), so the playback is certainly not like that due to bad hardware.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

They didn't included new bonus or bar music. So noobish.

This post has been edited by Fox: 28 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

• Glory To Motherland!

Megaton doesn't make me sandwiches. :)

• The Truth is in here

I was able to fix the sound crackles by changing sound sampling rate from 44.1 kHz to 22 kHz.

Here is how to:

1) Navigate to <Steam installation dir>\SteamApps\common\Duke Nukem 3D\gameroot
2) Open "duke3d.cfg" with a text editor
3) Change MixRate = 44100 to MixRate = 22050
4) Save and launch the game

This won't fix the bugged music tracks, but at least the distortions are gone.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

That really isn't even a bug then. I for one prefer playing the sound at the higher bit rates.

• el fundador

You don't seem to understand... the higher rates causing crackling is the bug. I haven't reviewed whether they made any changes to JonoF's version of the audio library, but as I recall I needed to double the buffer size for EDuke32 on Vista/7/8 because the newer sound system there was causing buffer under-runs.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Oh gosh, I remember that. I won't buy the Megaton Edition until they release muliplayer so I didn't know. That's pretty terrible that they never fixed that.

Why didn't they just use EDuke32 as a base? They could have finished up the new netcode in EDuke32 and have a great system to work with. Are they trying to make another terrible P2P system for the Megaton?

• el fundador

Honestly, I would be pretty surprised if they ever get working multiplayer in Megaton. Sorry General Arcade, but the changes you guys made to JFDuke3D are literally some of the worst programming I've seen in my life. I haven't looked much at the separate modules added yet (the GUI interface stuff mostly) but the changes made to the existing engine and game code themselves are AWFUL. The Build engine has been isolated in code from the game side of things since the beginning... not anymore, eh?

I really have to ask, what were you guys thinking?

Some of the more questionable things I've noticed:

• Kernel32.dll loaded directly into process, no symbols are ever read from it, and then it is immediately unloaded. WTF?
  • Player state (from the game side of the code) is read literally one line after swapping the OpenGL buffers in the SDL interface. WTF?
  • VSync game preference is referenced directly in the engine SDL interface. WTF?
  • Tile sizes are forced to new values after loading from tilesxxx.art, resulting in all kinds of tile corruption when the cache manager attempts to unload one of the affected tiles. The tile sizes are also changed back and forth when drawing (every time an individual sprite is drawn, whether it's one of the affected tiles or not). WTF?
  • All of the widescreen tile alignment is a huge hack.
  • Invalid masked walls caused by the previously mentioned corruption are simply worked around by telling the renderer it's not allowed to render the tile in question... lol. Seriously?

I don't mean to be overly critical but you guys should probably fix all of that before you even think about adding more features or anything. Hopefully you aren't offended and will actually listen to what I have to say, as in this case you've already seen our "finished product" (and used small bits of it). :) As someone who has donated over a decade of time to Duke3D, I can definitely say Duke deserves more than bullshit hacks where the only goal is to mask a problem and the only metric of success is how long it took to implement.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options