• 106 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Are You Listening To Now?

User is offline   QuisEstRex 

View PostSkullHacker, on Jun 14 2009, 08:32 PM, said:

It all kinda depends on what your defenition of 'Melodic' is. If you listen to the guitars, you can clearly see the difference between Dimmu Borgir and Emperor. Try to remove the symphonical instruments in your head, and then you can hear that the guitars play a much more important role in Emperor's In the Nightshade... album than in Dimmu Borgir's works.

Yes, do develop your own individual taste :D.

listening to Anorexia Nervosa... I don't know. I'd normally listen to more 'Trve black metal' but I like the extremeness of theyre work...

I thought I was a very varied extreme metal listener... guess I was wrong. I do enjoy bands that are a little different though, like Gojira, Arsis and Despised Icon.

In the past (6/7 years ago) I listened to Tristania, Sirenia, and Nightwish. And a shitload of Dutch goth metal bands (Epica, After Forever (they have covered the duke3d theme live with orchestra a while ago!), etc.). Our country seems to be good at those. Later I developed a taste for more extreme stuff, and I've come to hate a lot of the bands I listened to earlier. But I still like to listen to early Tristania from time to time (they seemed to have had black metal influences).

I can't listen to Anorexia Nervosa, they're too, eh, french :D LOL
just kidding, their actually quite nice... R.I.P...

as for the part of the guitars in dimmu, that's just the balancing that is necessary in order to hear the otherwise quite orchestral instruments... no way to avoid that... I should know, I had the same issue with my GrabBag mix...
and theirs one very good thing about dimmu, they maintain a very high quality live performance, almost every other metal band I've heard, of any sub-genre, can't seem to be able to reproduce the sound they get at their studio albums... for me, that's very important...
check this out

p.s. Nightwish ? that's pretty bad dude :D that's almost as bad as Britney Spears for a Hard Rock fun :D - I suppose that's the reason you're so into extreme\death\black metal, you're still counter-acting :) I know a guy who loved Cradle of Filth for quite a while, when he got some exposure to the extreme stuff, he burned all his C.O.F cds, and not just them, his Metallica too ! I mean, how f*cked-up is that ? right ?

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 14 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I just keep reading shitty band names in this thread.

I however, am listening to something awesome. Ramble Tamble by Creedence Clearwater Revival, off of 1970's "Cosmo's Factory".

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jun 15 2009, 12:38 AM, said:

I just keep reading shitty band names in this thread.

I however, am listening to something awesome. Ramble Tamble by Creedence Clearwater Revival, off of 1970's "Cosmo's Factory".

not to quote my self, but you obviously missed it when I said:

* currently listening to Clapton, B.B.King, and Jeff Beck... it's morning...

should be more appropriate to your likings...

to SkullHacker: when I first heard 1349 a couple of years ago, the first thing I noticed is that they had one of the worst mastering and balancing issues I've ever heard, maybe one day they'll get their older stuff remastered, but until then only Beyond the Apocalypse and Hellfire sound good... well, VERY good !

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 14 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Still not as cool as Creedence. :)

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jun 15 2009, 12:53 AM, said:

Still not as cool as Creedence. :D

right, try The Charlie Daniels Band... that's should get you going :D
George Thorogood should be close to home too :D

and in a completely unrelated matter: now listening to Jeff Buckley and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, no one can out diversify this :)

p.s: Opeth is some realy good metal, early albums especially :D Orchid is one of my top albums...

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 14 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

BAD TO THE BONE. :)

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jun 15 2009, 01:10 AM, said:

BAD TO THE BONE. :D

O, yeah ! I knew I can nail it down :D
try Foghat next, start with "Dazed And Confused"'s "Slow Ride" :D

am I right to skip obvious stuff like Led Zeppelin, Z.Z Top, and alike ?

the Red Elvises make some funky stuff :D might be to your liking as well :)

* you make a weird crossover between 70's metal and 80-90's metal by listening to 'Tenacious D', Jack Black is one crazy dude :D

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 14 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I like them, but I don't see how you pick out those bands from Creedence. The obvious step to me is some psychobilly and rockabilly.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jun 15 2009, 01:48 AM, said:

I like them, but I don't see how you pick out those bands from Creedence. The obvious step to me is some psychobilly and rockabilly.

easy, I don't stick to the genre but to the demographics, like manga, the trick is not to find what sounds like the bands you like, but rather to finds what other people who like the bands you hear, like and hear :)

and it works ! does it now ?:D

Edit:
think about it like that, a given percentage of a given age group hear a very specific music (i.e. 90% of 15-17 year old girls hear pop, terrible terrible mass produced pop...), based on that, you can recommend folks music they themselves didn't know they liked ! now I'm not music industry, so I don't have the numbers, but I can recognise some types because I talk music a lot, for the most part... well, it's not exactly an exact science :D

& when we get to the extremes, like hardcore electronica, extreme metal, blues, jazz and classical, 70's rock and metal, things start to get too unpredictable, for me... sometimes...

also, I mentioned it before but you should really try Tool, at least the Opiate and Undertow albums, I think it should fit your taste, but it's pretty hard to tell, Tool is unique.
you might also enjoy System Of A Down, but I'm unsure...
theirs also a small chance Offspring might get you going, but that's really stretching it...

I heard from this guy that industry has statistics covering everything up to the 3% percentile... that's some scary 1984 stuff, but that's how they make their money, they don't wait around for artists to come to them, instead they identify gaps in the market and try floating a few boats, say ten bands \ singers during the summer, if even one succeeds, they just got themselves a new Christina Aguilera :D

big labels have statisticians departments, market studys with double blind control groups, they test everything, from lyrics, mastering and balance to what T-shirts tomorrows rappers will wear on and off stage...

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 14 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I hate System of a Down. Tool is alright, but I don't really care for them.
I really like The Offspring, actually.

Just finished The Misfits' "12 Hits From Hell" album.
Firing up Miracle Legion's "The Backyard".

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostQuisEstRex, on Jun 15 2009, 03:08 AM, said:

also, I mentioned it before but you should really try Tool, at least the Opiate and Undertow albums

I'm surprised to see someone recommended Opiate and Undertow...

2CaptainAwesome: Do you want a hug or something? Judging from the posts in other threads, you seem pretty upset today.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 14 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

View PostLotan, on Jun 15 2009, 06:04 AM, said:

I'm surprised to see someone recommended Opiate and Undertow...

2CaptainAwesome: Do you want a hug or something? Judging from the posts in other threads, you seem pretty upset today.

why ? I'm not young or scene so I'm never too sure what the kids like, but for me and a few selected friends, to love one tool album is to love them all...

@ Captain Awesome: if you like SOAD and offspring, you might enjoy the jap band 'Maximum the Hormone'.
as for offspring, they attract a wide spectrum of listeners, some from metal, some from rock, some from punk, so you liking them doesn't narrow things down :)
what about pink floyd ? that's usually a shoe-in, and for some people that works well with king crimson, not me though... from their it's velvet underground, maybe Lou Reed, but I'm really pushing the envelope here...
Good Luck !

note: if you're about 15-21 years old, make sure to never say never to any genre, I know a few guys which had a similar taste to you and they all turned to different genres, blues, rock, punk, metal, black\extreme metal and even electronica ! it's pretty normal to change your taste on music every so often...

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostQuisEstRex, on Jun 15 2009, 04:55 PM, said:

why ? I'm not young or scene so I'm never too sure what the kids like, but for me and a few selected friends, to love one tool album is to love them all...

I meant that for a first Tool album to listen their EP is not a good choice. It is good, but something like Undertow and Lateralus are more appropriate.

View PostQuisEstRex, on Jun 14 2009, 10:26 PM, said:

p.s. Nightwish ? that's pretty bad dude :D that's almost as bad as Britney Spears for a Hard Rock fun :D - I suppose that's the reason you're so into extreme\death\black metal, you're still counter-acting :D I know a guy who loved Cradle of Filth for quite a while, when he got some exposure to the extreme stuff, he burned all his C.O.F cds, and not just them, his Metallica too ! I mean, how f*cked-up is that ? right ?

Yeah, I know its bad, but keep in mind that was 6/7 years ago. I was 12 years old back then B) . I still have their Wishmaster album somewere under a thick coat of dust.... And yes, I also listened to COF for a very short while, but it never interested me much, so luckily I didn't buy any of their crap. I would burn it too had I bought some of it. COF just sounds like an unfortunate pig being fisted by a polar bear, If you catch my drift.

I always tried to find out which genre I was listening to, and then looked up what bands were supposedly the best of the genre. Thats how I got to listen to Nightwish back in the day, and a few years later, Deicide, Emperor and Mayhem. Now I mostly look for good underground shit.

Opeth --> :D ! I completely forgot to mention that band in my previous post. Pretty good stuff, for when I'm not in the mood for ear destroying music. Though that rarely ever happens :) .

To stay on topic :D , now playing, 'Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty And All The Devils Are Here' album in Winamp... (something with a llamas ass I suppose... :( )

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I listen to all kinds of stuff, but I've turned my back to metal because metal band suck now and are boring. I'll just stick with Iron Maiden. Yes, I do love Pink Floyd.
And, no, I don't need any hugs. I am the resident Troll for Duke4.

Listening to Creedence again, "Lookin' Out My Backdoor" off Cosmo's Factory.
Feeling Dude-ish.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 15 June 2009 - 10:16 AM

View PostLotan, on Jun 15 2009, 06:32 PM, said:

I meant that for a first Tool album to listen their EP is not a good choice. It is good, but something like Undertow and Lateralus are more appropriate.

cool...

View PostSkullHacker, on Jun 15 2009, 07:37 PM, said:

Yeah, I know its bad, but keep in mind that was 6/7 years ago. I was 12 years old back then :D . I still have their Wishmaster album somewere under a thick coat of dust.... And yes, I also listened to COF for a very short while, but it never interested me much, so luckily I didn't buy any of their crap. I would burn it too had I bought some of it. COF just sounds like an unfortunate pig being fisted by a polar bear, If you catch my drift.

I always tried to find out which genre I was listening to, and then looked up what bands were supposedly the best of the genre. Thats how I got to listen to Nightwish back in the day, and a few years later, Deicide, Emperor and Mayhem. Now I mostly look for good underground shit.

Opeth --> :D ! I completely forgot to mention that band in my previous post. Pretty good stuff, for when I'm not in the mood for ear destroying music. Though that rarely ever happens :D .

To stay on topic :D , now playing, 'Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty And All The Devils Are Here' album in Winamp... (something with a llamas ass I suppose... :D )

don't feel too bad about COF, they have some good songs now and again, mostly covers, but still...

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jun 15 2009, 09:15 PM, said:

I listen to all kinds of stuff, but I've turned my back to metal because metal band suck now and are boring. I'll just stick with Iron Maiden. Yes, I do love Pink Floyd.
And, no, I don't need any hugs. I am the resident Troll for Duke4.

Listening to Creedence again, "Lookin' Out My Backdoor" off Cosmo's Factory.
Feeling Dude-ish.

getting to be too country for me... when the cowboys are coming, I'm packing B)

Currently listening to Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (the Black Box 2004 remaster) - The Wizard;
I can't believe how good this remaster sounds like, If I didn't know any better I would off thought this was recorded in our decade...
and just now shuffled to Anathema's Sleepless, isn't their a good COF cover of that song ?! I'll queue it up... :)

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostQuisEstRex, on Jun 15 2009, 10:42 PM, said:

don't feel too bad about COF, they have some good songs now and again, mostly covers, but still...

"Vempire..." kicks ass.

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

Listening to Star Trek Ost again. 2009 film really delivered in the music department.

Edit
Currently listening to Ramen4ever by our dear Yatta.

This post has been edited by Ramen4ever: 15 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

Sinéad O'Connor - Troy

Some Susumu Hirasawa.
Susumu Hirasawa - Hashi Daiku ( which is now one of my favorite songs)
Susumu Hirasawa - Sim City (love this song.. but I can't help but remember that this one is inspired by Thailand Transsexuals... if I'm not mistaken) lol don't let it scare you though, it's a damn good song.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostRamen4ever, on Jun 19 2009, 06:10 AM, said:

(love this song.. but I can't help but remember that this one is inspired by Thailand Transsexuals... if I'm not mistaken) lol don't let it scare you though, it's a damn good song.

Why cares if it's a great music?

Sultans Of Swing

This post has been edited by Lotan: 18 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

Jimi Hendrix - Little Miss Lover

User is offline   Hellbound 

Honor & Graveland split - Raiders Of Revenge... great stuff!

View PostLotan, on Jun 18 2009, 09:01 PM, said:

Sultans Of Swing

It's not a matter of caring so much as being aware of the artists inspiration.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostLotan, on Jun 19 2009, 12:01 AM, said:

Sultans Of Swing

You actually just upped my opinion of you.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostRamen4ever, on Jun 19 2009, 09:29 PM, said:

It's not a matter of caring so much as being aware of the artists inspiration.

Do you really think that it was their inspiration?

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jun 20 2009, 01:52 AM, said:

You actually just upped my opinion of you.

I'm so sorry...

User is offline   Hellbound 

Despondency (ger) - Revelation IV (Rise of The Nemesis), great brutal death metal!

View PostLotan, on Jun 19 2009, 09:02 PM, said:

Do you really think that it was their inspiration?

It's not about what I think.
http://en.wikipedia....im_City_(album)

Susumu Hirasawa is generally pretty comfortable with controversial subject matter.

User is offline   Kathy 

Ok.

Btw, wiki without sources is looking fishy/pulled out of someone's ass.

View PostLotan, on Jun 21 2009, 02:12 AM, said:

Ok.

Btw, wiki without sources is looking fishy/pulled out of someone's ass.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Susumu_Hirasawa

Yeah, I normally wouldn't trust wiki with sources. But there are very few sources I can read in English in regards to Hirasawa and most of the fishy stuff is for more viewed content. He does use Thailand singer's voice samples. That's a fact. And considering some of his translated interviews, the transsexual thing isn't exactly mind blowing, he likes controversial topics. Man vs machine. technology vs nature. Norm vs the strange. Consumerism. etc

This post has been edited by Ramen4ever: 21 June 2009 - 09:22 AM

Share this topic:

• 106 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options