• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Are You Listening To Now?

User is offline   oakman 

Sick boy- Social Distortion

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSkullHacker, on May 31 2009, 08:46 PM, said:

I generally like all black and death metal, all GOOD black and death metal that is (no melodic pop wallmart crap).

I generally like all music, all GOOD music that is.

Also, west side? I thought the best Black metal was scandinavian? your globe seems to be upside down. :)

:D True Norwegian Black Metal :D

Listening to Thorns, Necrophagist and Luciferion right now btw.

At the same time?

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

View PostLotan, on May 31 2009, 01:45 PM, said:

At the same time?

Pfff.. Bahahhha that's great. Just imagining that is awesome!! :)

Anyway,
Susumu Hirasawa - Forces II.. I really just listen to his soundtrack stuff on repeat.

This post has been edited by Ramen4ever: 31 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   Geoffrey 

Listening to the Pet Shop Boys - Rent.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Im On A Boat - The Lonely Island

View PostLotan, on May 31 2009, 10:45 PM, said:

At the same time?

Its called a "playlist". :)

Currently checking out some new ( new for me that is) bands on myspace:

Carpticon
Martriden
Psycroptic
Otargos
Man Must Die

Anyone heard of 'em? Any good stuff between these? Or other recomendations... I'm kinda running out of good stuff to blast through my eardrums.

User is offline   Hellbound 

View PostSkullHacker, on May 31 2009, 09:46 AM, said:

Also, west side? I thought the best Black metal was scandinavian? your globe seems to be upside down. :)

Please, don't be another motherfucker who things that good BM HAS to be from Scandinavia or East Europe. USA and Latin America has great bands, such as Black Witchery, Morbosidad, Anal Vomit, SARCOFAGO, Blasphemophager - those are TRUE black metal for me. Noise, dirt, brutality and Satan, not the most of melodic and clean scandinavian shit for kids. Of course I love first Mayhem, Marduk and Bestial Mockery are my top bands, but overall I still prefer west style.

Now listening - Katharsis (ger) - Fourth Reich... great stuff!

SkullHacker - Psycroptic is pretty good (older = better)

This post has been edited by Hellbound: 01 June 2009 - 05:47 AM

View PostHellbound, on Jun 1 2009, 03:45 PM, said:

Please, don't be another motherfucker who things that good BM HAS to be from Scandinavia or East Europe. USA and Latin America has great bands, such as Black Witchery, Morbosidad, Anal Vomit, SARCOFAGO, Blasphemophager - those are TRUE black metal for me. Noise, dirt, brutality and Satan, not the most of melodic and clean scandinavian shit for kids. Of course I love first Mayhem, Marduk and Bestial Mockery are my top bands, but overall I still prefer west style.

Now listening - Katharsis (ger) - Fourth Reich... great stuff!

SkullHacker - Psycroptic is pretty good (older = better)

No, it doesn't HAVE to be from Scandinavia, (hell, I don't really care where the fuck it's from) but the roots of BM DO lie in Norway, so the really OLD good stuff hails from over there. I agree that there are plenty of good bands NOT from scandinavia, but, I still have to find Black metal bands from the US that are truly better than the classical well known old (Emperor, Dissection, Mayhem, Marduk, etc.) scandinavian ones. Too bad that a lot of good bands have turned to shit in the last couple of years (Cryptopsy being the prime example here). Thats why I asked for good new recomendations, you know, bands that could be legends ten years from now that I've somehow missed.

Will check out more from Psycroptic. Nice technical band, a bit like Necrophagist but also very different.

This list: http://www.anus.com/metal/ covers about a tenth of the death or black metal crap I listen to.

-Listening to Defecation's intention surpassed album-

This post has been edited by SkullHacker: 01 June 2009 - 07:41 AM

heaven and hell the devil you know

User is offline   Hellbound 

View PostSkullHacker, on Jun 1 2009, 07:34 AM, said:

but the roots of BM DO lie in Norway

Venom is not from Norway, VON is not from Norway, Hellhammer is not from Norway, Root is not from Norway and most influential (I think) at it's time - Sarcofago isn't from Norway.
But while the biggest boom were in and most 'true' ( :) ) bands come from Scandinavia, people think that it's the root... but it's not :D

Nice to see someone who cares at this place, anyway... all hails!

User is offline   Geoffrey 

Listening to Falco - Männer des Westens

Intercool :)

Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400

Damn hockey >_<

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's a kickass song, Ramen.

Leftöver Crack - Born To Die
The Casualties - Under Attack

Might see both of these guys on Friday.

^
yeah it's a good song but it gets stuck in your head easy.

Here's another one.
Sandstorm by Darude

User is online   Sangman 

Blue Öyster Cult - Stairway to the Stars

Awesome :)

User is offline   X-Vector 

Primus - Mr. Krinkle

Placebo - Nancy Boy

Tyske Ludder - Anonymous - Limited Edition

Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant

User is offline   QuisEstRex 

in the last hour or so, Meshuggah(obZen), some Dimmu Borgir too...

View PostSkullHacker, on Jun 1 2009, 03:58 PM, said:

Its called a "playlist". :D

Currently checking out some new ( new for me that is) bands on myspace:

Carpticon
Martriden
Psycroptic
Otargos
Man Must Die

Anyone heard of 'em? Any good stuff between these? Or other recomendations... I'm kinda running out of good stuff to blast through my eardrums.

try "Dillinger Escape Plan", makes Psycroptic sound like light pop :)

View PostQuisEstRex, on Jun 12 2009, 11:15 PM, said:

in the last hour or so, Meshuggah(obZen), some Dimmu Borgir too...

try "Dillinger Escape Plan", makes Psycroptic sound like light pop :)

No, sorry, don't like that. Sounds like a lot of noise with little substance to back it up to me. Edit: Listening to it some more, it has alot more substance than 'Into the Moat'. Still don't like it too much though.
There's also 'Into the Moat', which I don't like. And a whole list of other crap, classified as death core, which should be burned instantly IMO. Those are about the main subgenres of extreme metal that I despise, along with the occasional melodical crap (oh wait, is that Dimmu Borgir?). Theres only a few meloBM exceptions, Emperor, Limbonic Art, Bal Saggoth, Dark Funeral being the important ones. [/ass mode off :D ]

Meshuggah is awesome though, Tomas Haake blasts through Obzen with his unconventional rithm and time signatures.

I found my 'Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum' album, from Deathspell Omega again. Now listening to The Shrine Of Mad Laughter
I like complicated compositions :D.

Another Dutch band: Controll Human Delete, from near where I live. Too bad they don't (didn't?) have a real drummer (yet?).

This post has been edited by SkullHacker: 13 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

View PostSkullHacker, on Jun 13 2009, 07:12 PM, said:

No, sorry, don't like that. Sounds like a lot of noise with little substance to back it up to me. Edit: Listening to it some more, it has alot more substance than 'Into the Moat'. Still don't like it too much though.
There's also 'Into the Moat', which I don't like. And a whole list of other crap, classified as death core, which should be burned instantly IMO. Those are about the main subgenres of extreme metal that I despise, along with the occasional melodical crap (oh wait, is that Dimmu Borgir?). Theres only a few meloBM exceptions, Emperor, Limbonic Art, Bal Saggoth, Dark Funeral being the important ones. [/ass mode off :D ]

Meshuggah is awesome though, Tomas Haake blasts through Obzen with his unconventional rithm and time signatures.

I found my 'Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum' album, from Deathspell Omega again. Now listening to The Shrine Of Mad Laughter
I like complicated compositions :D.

Another Dutch band: Controll Human Delete, from near where I live. Too bad they don't (didn't?) have a real drummer (yet?).

it seems your better informed then me, I'm the one who should be asking you about good bands :D
I don't suppose you tried Satyricon ? they got a few good songs to them...

* it seems beyond Meshuggah we have little in common :D I'm just not metal enough for you !

p.s: forgot to mention you made me reminisce on Immortal, so that's what I'm hearing right now, One By One from Sons of Northern Darkness Delu to be specific...

p.p.s : Orphaned Land is quite unique and worth a listen... even if you're not into the sub-genre...
also, what about other genres ? most mid-twenties metal-heads like me start to brunch out into blues and classical let alone hard metal and light rock (metallica, trivium...) so I think it's a legitimate question...

p.p.p.s: if it's unconventional rhythm and time signatures you're looking for, TOOL is a very strong candidate, everything J.M.K is really good, but not very metal :)

p.p.p.p.s: those are a lot of p... well, since I've mentioned an Israeli band, I might as well mention a Jap band: Maximum Hormone, again I'm not sure about the genre, but that some System of a Down like vocals, which I miss :D

* for the most part, I think that when a band manages to break it's country's barriers, and it's not Northern or American, its as a sure sign of excellence as any...

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 13 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

View PostQuisEstRex, on Jun 13 2009, 10:10 PM, said:

it seems your better informed then me, I'm the one who should be asking you about good bands :D
I don't suppose you tried Satyricon ? they got a few good songs to them...

* it seems beyond Meshuggah we have little in common :D I'm just not metal enough for you !

p.s: forgot to mention you made me reminisce on Immortal, so that's what I'm hearing right now, One By One from Sons of Northern Darkness Delu to be specific...

p.p.s : Orphaned Land is quite unique and worth a listen... even if you're not into the sub-genre...
also, what about other genres ? most mid-twenties metal-heads like me start to brunch out into blues and classical let alone hard metal and light rock (metallica, trivium...) so I think it's a legitimate question...

p.p.p.s: if it's unconventional rhythm and time signatures you're looking for, TOOL is a very strong candidate, everything J.M.K is really good, but not very metal :D

p.p.p.p.s: those are a lot of p... well, since I've mentioned an Israeli band, I might as well mention a Jap band: Maximum Hormone, again I'm not sure about the genre, but that some System of a Down like vocals, which I miss B)

* for the most part, I think that when a band manages to break it's country's barriers, and it's not Northern or American, its as a sure sign of excellence as any...

Yep, I've heard of all the bands you've mentioned :( , except Maximum Hormone. Just listened to it and it's nice, but not my kind of music :). And about Tool, the only music I like from them is the Doom III theme :D.

*Well, most Dutch bands I listen to are still underground, but that's because they don't really tour abroad much, they can't get a label, and/or they have a small budget. And some of them have Dutch lyrics (Fluisterwoud!). There's an undergound metal scene in every country, with shitty bands and some bands that have great potential. I'm still trying to find those bands in my country. Funny thing is, I've met a lot of people playing in the Dutch bands that I've listened to. Often I didn't even know they were in those bands :D.

now listening Absu's latest album btw. A little different. Not as good as they're previous work I think.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSkullHacker, on Jun 13 2009, 08:12 PM, said:

Those are about the main subgenres of extreme metal that I despise, along with the occasional melodical crap (oh wait, is that Dimmu Borgir?). Theres only a few meloBM exceptions, Emperor, Limbonic Art, Bal Saggoth, Dark Funeral being the important ones. [/ass mode off :) ]

Dimmu Borgir's first two albums are great in that respect.

View PostSkullHacker, on Jun 14 2009, 01:17 AM, said:

Yep, I've heard of all the bands you've mentioned :D , except Maximum Hormone. Just listened to it and it's nice, but not my kind of music :D. And about Tool, the only music I like from them is the Doom III theme :D.

*Well, most Dutch bands I listen to are still underground, but that's because they don't really tour abroad much, they can't get a label, and/or they have a small budget. And some of them have Dutch lyrics (Fluisterwoud!). There's an undergound metal scene in every country, with shitty bands and some bands that have great potential. I'm still trying to find those bands in my country. Funny thing is, I've met a lot of people playing in the Dutch bands that I've listened to. Often I didn't even know they were in those bands :D.

now listening Absu's latest album btw. A little different. Not as good as they're previous work I think.

no Tool ha ? tool is smack down heroin for me, I literally have to stop myself from constantly listening to them... I'm currently 3 month clean, but I'm jonesing even now... :D

* currently listening to Clapton, B.B.King, and Jeff Beck... it's morning...
** Absu - Manannan is a rather decent song :) forgot to mention earlier I'm hearing Marduk every now and again...

This post has been edited by QuisEstRex: 14 June 2009 - 01:15 AM

View PostLotan, on Jun 14 2009, 10:02 AM, said:

Dimmu Borgir's first two albums are great in that respect.

Dimmu isn't really black, their more melodic then your everyday black or death, hell, they about as mainstream as Cradle of Filth, and that's like cottage cheese :)
only their lyrics is black, the rest is very symphonic and melodic, which is very good actually, I think I like to diversify my music...

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostQuisEstRex, on Jun 14 2009, 01:25 PM, said:

Dimmu isn't really black, their more melodic then your everyday black or death, hell, they about as mainstream as Cradle of Filth, and that's like cottage cheese :)

Who said that black can't be melodic?
Anyway, I was talking about their first two albums which are not mainstream in the way their later albums are.

only their lyrics is black, the rest is very symphonic and melodic, which is very good actually, I think I like to diversify my music...

Emperor albums is also heavy on symphonic keys. And in that respect Emperor isn't really melodic. Only Welkin maybe is melodic. Nightshade is nowhere a melodic asbum. Yes, it has shitload of "symphonic" keys, but the music as a whole aren't melodic. Burzum is more melodic than that.

View PostLotan, on Jun 14 2009, 03:32 PM, said:

Who said that black can't be melodic?
Anyway, I was talking about their first two albums which are not mainstream in the way their later albums are.

Emperor albums is also heavy on symphonic keys. And in that respect Emperor isn't really melodic. Only Welkin maybe is melodic. Nightshade is nowhere a melodic asbum. Yes, it has shitload of "symphonic" keys, but the music as a whole aren't melodic. Burzum is more melodic than that.

but even dimmu don't consider themselves black metal, where o where did I read that interview...

regardless, to be honest I can't tell such a huge change from the first two albums to the rest, all I can hear is an improvement in the quality of the production... some new mastering tricks, obviously better orchestral instruments (synths and live), but style change ? can't hear it...
and it's not I'm dissing them or anything, The Sacrilegious Scorn is one of the best songs I've ever heard, but black ? not really...

but f*ck this genre sh*t, I like what I like, the only reason I'm discussing the genres is because I'm trying to figure out how to best describe what kind of music I like, so folks like you and SkullHacker will be able to recommend me on new stuff to hear :)

maybe it's my fault, I probably should have just list bands I like, but instead I made the mistake of constraining my self to specific genres.... d*mn... LOL

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostQuisEstRex, on Jun 14 2009, 05:49 PM, said:

but even dimmu don't consider themselves black metal, where o where did I read that interview...

"But inspite(sic) of these negative sides, we hope you can hear and enjoy the essence of the true NORWEGEAN Balck Metal that lies within our music"(q) Shagrath'97 about their "For All Tid" album.

regardless, to be honest I can't tell such a huge change from the first two albums to the rest, all I can hear is an improvement in the quality of the production... some new mastering tricks, obviously better orchestral instruments (synths and live), but style change ? can't hear it...

Well. You could have a polished Burzum recording for example, but that won't be the same thing as the real one. It sometimes matters. Actually, with Dimmu we can compare Stormblast'96 with Stormblast'05. They have a different feeling.

It all kinda depends on what your defenition of 'Melodic' is. If you listen to the guitars, you can clearly see the difference between Dimmu Borgir and Emperor. Try to remove the symphonical instruments in your head, and then you can hear that the guitars play a much more important role in Emperor's In the Nightshade... album than in Dimmu Borgir's works.

I like what I like

Yes, do develop your own individual taste :).

listening to Anorexia Nervosa... I don't know. I'd normally listen to more 'Trve black metal' but I like the extremeness of theyre work...

I thought I was a very varied extreme metal listener... guess I was wrong. I do enjoy bands that are a little different though, like Gojira, Arsis and Despised Icon.

In the past (6/7 years ago) I listened to Tristania, Sirenia, and Nightwish. And a shitload of Dutch goth metal bands (Epica, After Forever (they have covered the duke3d theme live with orchestra a while ago!), etc.). Our country seems to be good at those. Later I developed a taste for more extreme stuff, and I've come to hate a lot of the bands I listened to earlier. But I still like to listen to early Tristania from time to time (they seemed to have had black metal influences).

Share this topic:

• 106 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options