Duke4.net Forums: AMD vs Intel - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMD vs Intel  "Which Processor brands has pros and cons?"

Poll: AMD vs Intel (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Favorite Processor Brand?

1. AMD (11 votes [35.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.48%

2. Intel (20 votes [64.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Oh my God that literally sounds like the worst thing ever.

INTRODUCING THE ALL NEW CHEVY CAVALIER! V12 ENGINE, 105 HORSEPOWER!

My i5-3570K magnum works very damn good! Great accuracy too! God bless Intel!

Hitler gets pissed a/b the AMD FX benchmarks. Lol!

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 03 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Mind if I bump this? Here we go.

Intel has just released the Skylake architecture CPUs. There's two so far available on the market: i5-6600K and i7-6700K.

Are you gonna give these CPUs a shot? I dunno a/b them. It's just the TDP is 91w; higher than the previous generations. Might be an energy hog. And the first CPU that doesn't come w/ a stock fan. That makes the Cooler Master Hyper EVO master race very happy that they don't have to junk up the closet w/ them stock coolers.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 10 August 2015 - 06:24 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

In b4 fanboi flamewar and lock.

View PostTea Monster, on 10 August 2015 - 06:04 AM, said:

In b4 fanboi flamewar and lock.

In B4 Person of Color w/ his powerful and godly intelligence. :D

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

It's a good purchase if you're on the old lines, but if you're on Haswell (or above) chips already there's not much incentive since you only get a small performance bump and only in some tasks. Otherwise wait until the next generation when there's a node shrink.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

My AMD FX-8350 is still kickin' and still performin'.

• Polymancer

I went for a job at a PC repair place in Florida one day. The place was weird for a start. It was out in the wilds of Florida, You could imagine them having to chase gators off the front porch each morning. If you can imagine where the people from The Hills Have Eyes got their laptops from, that was it. I was ushered into to see the 'The Guru' by some Grandad, who you could tell was as technical as a typical Packard Bell user. I couldn't work out if he was a cashier or security. As a 'test' the guru asked me which was the best processor, AMD or Intel. I told him the truth, which is that AMD is best for most people, as it gives you the best cost for the power involved. If you are a power user then you need Intel as it has the best performance - but you pay for it.

Anyway, his eyes lit up like a Mac Evangalist and I got this twenty minute lecture on how AMD are better due to being more power efficient than Intel etc. etc. Intel weren't served at his shop thank you! All during this, the dude who was the security was just smiling and nodding like a Disney animatronic dwarf. Needless to say, I didn't get the job. On the way out I was told to come back when I knew better, or something like that.

Ive never been so relieved to not get a job in my life.

If only I'd followed my instincts with my latest one :'(

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Out of curiosity, was this in North Central Florida?

This post has been edited by Spastic Lagomorph: 10 August 2015 - 10:03 AM

• Polymancer

More mid-central.

View PostMblackwell, on 10 August 2015 - 06:47 AM, said:

It's a good purchase if you're on the old lines, but if you're on Haswell (or above) chips already there's not much incentive since you only get a small performance bump and only in some tasks. Otherwise wait until the next generation when there's a node shrink.

It's a shitty purchase unless you're below Sandy Bridge.

>Own a Sandy Bridge
>Spend $30 on a Hyper212 EVO
>Set the multiplier to 45 (4.5GHz)
>Set the voltage to 1.35v
>Run Prime95 overnight
>Watch in awe as 99.9% of Sandies take to it

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 10 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

• Evil Overlord

The new chips can be overclocked pretty easily to about 4.4 iirc, and get some big perf benefits even over other chips similarly overclocked.

But let's be honest for gaming you don't really need to upgrade even if you have something like an overclocked i7 920@4ghz (although newer chips are much more efficient). You're probably not CPU bound in most applications except where the driver causes various stalls and eat up an entire core. Which hopefully won't be an issue with Vulkan (and DX12).

Sandy Bridge chips are much better than Bloomfield though.

There really aren't any benefits if you look at the cost objectively though.

• Evil Overlord

Sure.

I own a Sandy Bridge i7 and the comparisons against Haswell were very good, so if Skylake is just a minor improvement over Haswell, it's not worth upgrading.

• Evil Overlord

Benchmarks honestly only looked like about 5% or less improvement except in a few cases.

AMD's 8-core 16 threaded Zen "Summit Ridge" CPU is beating out Inte's i7-6900K Broadwell-E in a Blender benchmark in this article.

http://www.gamespot....l/1100-6442765/
https://www.engadget...18/amd-zen-cpu/
http://arstechnica.c...s-release-date/

Is Intel in trouble?

I've used AMD FX CPU's exclusively for VM servers. The price is cheap compared to Intel's approved lineup. It's always nice to see an FX 8300 series hold it's own on a VM Host running DC,DNS,TS, and DB's for a large production environment.

This post has been edited by Robert Stever: 04 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

I love the 8300 series too, they're my goto chip when building a workstation. The money you save goes towards a better SSD, nicer monitor, top shelf keyboard and mouse, or whatever you want. To be honest, for most workstation purposes, an 8320E and a basic video card are all you need. It's really easy to build a long lasting system with the E series models too, you put very little strain on the VRM's and it won't stress a cheaper motherboard like an ASRock 970M Pro3. That's another favorite of mine...I can get the chip and board at Micro Center for $130 and enjoy rock solid reliability, solid caps and heatsinked VRM's.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 04 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

• Polymancer

I had an ASRock board once. A lot of reviewers dissed it, but I never had any problems with it.

I've used a bunch of them over the years. They're great.

Mind if I bump this? Here it goes. And I'm gonna ask this similar question again like the one from above.

What's your experience w/ AMD's new Ryzen 5 and 7 series of CPUs? Ryzen's performance is much better than AMD's FX series. It looks like they've pulled it together.

User is offline   Romulus 

If you're on a budget, and if you are someone who is looking to do a lot of content creation and gaming, The RyZen CPUs are an excellent choice, specially the RyZen 5 1600. The RyZen 7 1700 is a good choice too if content creation is your first priority.

The memory compatibility issues have been ironed out with BIOS updates and AMD and AIB board partners are working together tirelessly to improve things further.

Steer clear from the RyZen X SKUs as they lack a stock cooler, cost more and simply doesn't offer you any extra headroom for overclocking. You can simply buy a RyZen 5 1600 and overclock it to 3.8 GHz on all cores without having to bump the voltage up too much which will also keep the temperature in check. Most RyZen chips top out at 3.9 GHz/4.0 GHz and once you get past 3.8 GHz, the next 100/200 MHz is costly, you need to bump up the Vcore a lot which in my opinion isn't worth it.

The price to performance ratio is excellent! Though for some reason nvidia graphics cards when lower level APIs like DirectX 12 is used, seem to scale negatively when performance is concerned. But that doesn't mean that a RyZen CPU is going to hold your GPU back. Just expect a bit of lower performance in specific titles like Rise Of The Tomb Raider.

You're going to read and hear all sorts of negative stuff from die hard Intel fans and some nvidia fans seem to have developed hatred for anything with an AMD logo as well, don't listen to these people as they are the reason the PC enthusiast community is so toxic. Use your better judgement.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 21 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Don't be weak. Go big and wait for the threadripper

User is offline   Romulus 

HEDTs for gaming?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

if you can find a video card that won't bottleneck the cpu, then hell yea - go for it.

• Polymancer

People who use Nvidia GPUs, have a richly deserved hatred of AMD GPU's (nothing but problems in games and production software). That does not usually extend to their CPUs though. Not unless you are a really rabid fanboy. I was happy when AMD bought out ATI, I was hoping that they might shake some sense into the company. No such luck sadly.

I splurged on Intel as I need the power (3D creation). But before then I used to have AMD CPUs because of the cost-power ratio. Now that Ryzen is out, I'm definitely looking at one of them when I upgrade.

I really like the Rhyzen CPU's for incredibuild and autobuild boxes, you get more cores for a fraction of what you would have to pay on the intel side.

The Intel 8th Generation Coffee Lake CPUs are gonna have 4 core i3's, 6 core i5's and 6 core and 12 threads i7's. What do you guys think?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options