Duke4.net Forums: AMD vs Intel - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMD vs Intel  "Which Processor brands has pros and cons?"

Poll: AMD vs Intel (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Favorite Processor Brand?

1. AMD (11 votes [35.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.48%

2. Intel (20 votes [64.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

I'm gonna go for AMD. Since AMD tells you how many cores and clock speeds in a CPU while you're trying to decide to buy a laptop or desktop. While Intel won't tell you how many cores it's processor has. I was using Pentium computers wayback. There was one Intel computer I used to have several years ago but it was very unfriendly w/ the vmmachine file or something like that. So I decided to switch to AMD.

UPDATE: Off topic. I'm just ordered this computer off of Newegg.com. This sucker's got 8 cores at 2.8GHz. Looks like I got a high end PC for cheap huh or what?

UPDATE 2 5/12/13: I'm officially getting an i5-3570K. If the CPU exceeds my expectations I'm ditching AMD and switching my vote to Intel.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 06 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

User is offline   Hank 

I voted Intel. Why? For gaming I think Intel is more efficient and works well with nVidia cards.
For laptops, I love AMD, but I can't play games on it.

b.t.w. The office next door does computer art, and I get their hand me down comps, and I value their opion. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 26 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

In 2012, AMD is pretty awful. Their latest processor, FX (Bulldozer) performs worse than their previous lineup and does not compete with Intel performance-wise.

I came up with a name for them: the "Alternative Microprocessor Distributor" to Intel.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Intels are more expensive, but more durable and less likely to crap out. You get what you pay for.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 27 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I'll go for AMD because they have a better performance-price ratio.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

AMD for price/performance ratio, and both traditional (since 1996) and patriotic (most likely manufactured in Germany) reasons.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 26 December 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

This sucker's got 8 cores at 2.8GHz. Looks like I got a high end PC for cheap huh or what?
My choice was 4 (better: 2+2) cores at 4.2GHz. Which of your software actually makes use of eight cores?

View PostLeoD, on 29 December 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

AMD for price/performance ratio, and both traditional (since 1996) and patriotic (most likely manufactured in Germany) reasons.

My choice was 4 (better: 2+2) cores at 4.2GHz. Which of your software actually makes use of eight cores?

What specs does your PC do you have w/ the 4-core 4.2GHz LeoD? I haven't started setting up w/ my new desktop yet. As for the software that makes use of the 8 cores; I don't know yet. Hopefully it'll run the Build DOS games better. Playing the Rise of the Triad reboot. and playing the PC exclusives not the mufti-platform games.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 29 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDustFalcon85, on 29 December 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

What specs does your PC do you have w/ the 4-core 4.2GHz LeoD?
FX-4170, 8GiB DDR3-1866 (actually running as 1600 due to shorter boot time), 120GiB SSD, and still my good old GT9600. I got a huge performance boost running EDuke32 over my old 2GHz AMD64-X2 (More frequency and the bdver1 compiler switch, of course). Apparently DukePlus' CON code is way more CPU-demanding than I thought. Maybe Polymer needs a lot of CPU power, too. Polymer HRP performance is quite fine now with most maps (including the Polymer-lighted original levels). Therefore I might not feel the need to buy a new graphics card any time soon, unless I finally get a full-HD Monitor.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 29 December 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

As for the software that makes use of the 8 cores; I don't know yet. Hopefully it'll run the Build DOS games better. Playing the Rise of the Triad reboot. and playing the PC exclusives not the mufti-platform games.
I'd expect DOSBox to benefit from frequency and architecture, but surely not from additional cores. Maybe the Unreal 3 engine is able to use them (but I doubt it). The gamer's choice is usually less cores (2-4) in favour of more GHz.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 29 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostAchenar, on 27 December 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

Intels are more expensive, but more durable and less likely to crap out. You get what you pay for.

What the fuck? Like...how the fuck do I even reply to this?

View PostLeoD, on 29 December 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

FX-4170

Posted Image

Oh my God, WHY?! A Phenom II is the same price and twice as fast! My 965 would run CIRCLES around that thing! That FX isn't even a four core chip. It's a multithreaded dual core.

To be honest, AMD's new FX line of CPU's are terrible price/performance wise. They are Pentium 4 bad. 9/11 bad. Dare I say...GEO METRO bad?

The best value in CPU's are the i5's and the four and six core Phenoms. They are up there with the K6-2's, Core 2 Duos, and Athlon XP's of old. I'm helping my buddy upgrade his rig on Wednesday and we're gonna push his i5 to 4.5GHz.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 01 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Do you think this AMD Bulldozer ad is false advertising?

Also according to gaming news reports and rumors. The PlayStation 4 and the XBox 720 will also use AMD hardware.

EDIT: So AMD is for those frugal cheap folks who like to save every penny possible, huh?

UPDATE: According to TV Tropes' Obvious Beta:

AMD's "Bulldozer" series of CPUs, known as the FX series, serve this example. The AMD 8-core FX 8350 model couldn't compete against the Intel 4-core model i5 3470, which were priced similarly.
I was like: SSShhhhiiiittttt! :)

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 03 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View Post486DX2, on 01 January 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

Well, starting out your sentence with a subject noun is a good place to start, then you would add a predicate verb to form a basic sentence. From there you can add prepositions, adverbs, and adjectives; or combine it with other clauses to make longer and more in-depth sentences to convey your thoughts.

My Intel processor has lasted me since the day I bought it. I've had AMDs fail on me when I've owned them, so I'm a bit jaded.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 02 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

I've always had Intel CPUs. Most of the games or software that I run works best on Intel CPUs. For example, FSX gets very nice performance on my Sandy Bridge CPU. Takes advantage of all my cores (incl. with HT on). Running it on the latest AMD chip ain't gonna cut it and the tests have shown this. It would have similar performance to my old Q9550 chip, which would translate into 30 FPS lost over my current setup.

View PostAchenar, on 02 January 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

Well, starting out your sentence with a subject noun is a good place to start, then you would add a predicate verb to form a basic sentence. From there you can add prepositions, adverbs, and adjectives; or combine it with other clauses to make longer and more in-depth sentences to convey your thoughts.

My Intel processor has lasted me since the day I bought it. I've had AMDs fail on me when I've owned them, so I'm a bit jaded.

More likely than not your motherboard was at fault. The memory controllers are the part that usually fails. The only time I've ever seen a CPU flat out "die," not even POST in any board, was a 1.8 Pentium 4. I don't know if it was a Northwood or a Wilamette. But I used to work at a repair shop and my coworker kept trying to get a dead system running against the suggestions of everyone (slow day). Whelp, after an hour of tinkering and using donor parts, he figured out the CPU was dead. No one believed him until we saw evidence.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 02 January 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

UPDATE: According to TV Tropes' Obvious Beta: I was like: SSShhhhiiiittttt! :P

Those things suck. Bottom line. They are worse than the Pentium 4. At least the P4 could hold the performance crown when it wanted to. You can pry my Phenom II from my cold, dead hands.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 05 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

I'm just thinking about getting a Intel CPU/Motherboard and a Computer case w/ at least 2 usb ports in the future. Since I've got a spare 600watt PSU, A spare video card, A new 1TB HDD 7200 RPM. And spare memory sticks. I've learned that the Intel CPUs use 77 watts as opposed the AMD FX's 125 watts. So the Intel's are energy efficient than the AMD's. So I've starting to think of getting one for myself and see where it goes from here.

Here's my 2 choices for Intel CPU/Motherboard Combo

1: http://www.tigerdire...1366&CatId=6982

2: http://www.tigerdire...1364&CatId=6982

Leaning toward option 1. Now next is getting a suitable PC case which has 2 USB ports w/ it. If someone can pick out the best one around $100 bucks.

AMD for the price VS performance ratio. They are basically just gaming only processors and aren't exactly meant for a lot of multitasking. (Not 100% sure on this as I'm still waiting on my RMA for my motherboard to put in my 8 core FX processor.) But I do know intel owns when it comes to multi tasking. So really intel gives better performance not only for games but for everything else in tandem at a hell of a price hike. Basically an enthusiast choice. If you just want to game without any problems, encode a video, and watch a movie at the same time AMD is sufficient. (at least going by the reviews I read when I purchased my AMD processor. I have yet to see for myself.) But I know for a fact that at the very least you can run a game and encode a video without any problems using the 8 core FX processors. (AMD)

EDIT: Also people saying you can't play games with an AMD processor + Nvidia card, your doing something horribly wrong. I've been using AMD processors and Nvidia GPUs since I got into computers and I have never had a problem where a game wouldn't run correctly unless it was because my GPU wasn't fast enough or my processor wasn't fast enough. That's the only times I've had problems. If you get a high end rig that doesn't have any bottlenecks besides of course the HDD's then your fine. (SSDs are still expensive as hell so I only have one which is my OS drive on this computer and will be the OS drive on my new one when the mobo comes back.)

EDIT2: Also none of my AMD processors have ever crapped out on me. So I think some of you guys are getting bad batches with the problems you are describing. As I've never experienced those problems. DOA's I can understand. But for an AMD processor to just crap out on you? Never happened to me before and I've ran every system I ever built ragged.

This post has been edited by xPreatorianx: 08 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

User is offline   faked 

AMD.

My next CPU is going to be an Intel.

AMD is NOT better for price/performance anymore. the i5 2600k and 3570k are some of the best value for money CPU's in history, up there with greats such as the Athlon XP 2500+ and the Celeron 300A.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 09 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

View Post486DX2, on 09 May 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

My next CPU is going to be an Intel.

AMD is NOT better for price/performance anymore. the i5 2600k and 3570k are some of the best value for money CPU's in history, up there with greats such as the Athlon XP 2500+ and the Celeron 300A.

Same here. Deciding if I'm going to get the i7-3770K or the i5-3570K. Leaning toward the 3570K. We'll See. So the AMD Phenom II overclocking didn't work out for you 486DX2?

EDIT: Trying to decide which Intel CPU I should get. The i7-3770K or the i5-3570K. Suggestions?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 10 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

Regardless of what happens I'm going to overclock it. When I get my board back from Biostar, I'm gonna rape it again. If it fails, whatever, I'll send it back and drop $100 on a board that can handle 4GHz. Then I'll just sell the old board to help cover the cost of the new one. I didn't start geting lots of vdroop until after I upped the voltage to 1.6+ by accident. Even after I dropped it back down it drooped more than it did.

I want another two years out of this processor.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 10 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Once again which of the two Intel CPU's I should go for? The i7-3770K or the i5-3570K? Building a New PC for myself. If the Intel exceeds my expectations, I'm dumping AMD and switching my vote.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 11 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

i5. The i7 is not worth the extra $100.

Spend the extra money on a nice motherboard, and overclock it to 4.5GHz. Even Randy Pitchford can do it, you only have to adjust multiplier and voltage. And pick up a Cooler Master Hyper212 EVO.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 11 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

HERE'S WHAT YOU SHOULD BUY.

Posted Image

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Fuck it, get a i7 3770K and over clock the bitch to 7.2GHz

http://www.ocaholic....26&lang=english

I have a 3770, maybe I should give it a shot...
I don't think so, this CPU cost me to much fucking money!

Oh my God. Fuck me. L O L

View PostNZRage, on 11 May 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Fuck it, get a i7 3770K and over clock the bitch to 7.2GHz

http://www.ocaholic....26&lang=english

I have a 3770, maybe I should give it a shot...
I don't think so, this CPU cost me to much fucking money!

I don't get why people buy the i7. It doesn't overclock any better and the i5 is more than sufficient for anything.

Regardless, running either of those processors at stock speeds should get you tried in the Hague.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 11 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Because I am fucking boss and buy junk with all my money!
Next I will buy some stupid video card that I don't even need.

View PostJimmy, on 11 May 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

HERE'S WHAT YOU SHOULD BUY.

Posted Image

So what this about? I'm not anti-Semitic but a Jew holding an AMD FX processor and Wendy is screaming in horror & fighting for survival? So the AMD FX's officially evil huh? Did you made that pic all by yourself Jimmy?

View Post486DX2, on 11 May 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

i5. The i7 is not worth the extra $100.

Spend the extra money on a nice motherboard, and overclock it to 4.5GHz. Even Randy Pitchford can do it, you only have to adjust multiplier and voltage. And pick up a Cooler Master Hyper212 EVO.

I don't overclock CPU's
486DX2 and I never will.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 12 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

View Post486DX2, on 01 January 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Oh my God, WHY?! A Phenom II is the same price and twice as fast! My 965 would run CIRCLES around that thing! That FX isn't even a four core chip. It's a multithreaded dual core.

To be honest, AMD's new FX line of CPU's are terrible price/performance wise. They are Pentium 4 bad. 9/11 bad. Dare I say...GEO METRO bad?

The best value in CPU's are the i5's and the four and six core Phenoms. They are up there with the K6-2's, Core 2 Duos, and Athlon XP's of old. I'm helping my buddy upgrade his rig on Wednesday and we're gonna push his i5 to 4.5GHz.

Looks like the FX-4170 got it's ass kicked by the i5-3570K.

It also got it's booty hole torn by four year old Phenom II's that cost the same price.

I don't overclock CPU's 486DX2 and I never will.

Actually. I think I'm gonna change my mind. Since the i5 is on it's way. Now I'm looking for a motherboard w/ optional overclocking, and a good computer case. My dad gave me a spare 600 watt PSU. Trying to find the right components.

Who makes the PSU? Is it by a company like Antec? Or a company like Dai Yao Ai Gong Ping?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options