Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition and Shadow Warrior Complete listed in Steam Database - Duke4.net Forums

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition and Shadow Warrior Complete listed in Steam Database

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostDavoX, on 08 July 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Windows xp pro sp3, gforce 210 (yes I know crappy card, but the classic game doesn't crash for me, although of course it doesn't have polymost).

I have windows 7 also on this computer so I should check with that.

I think I found the solution. Can you please opt to Public Beta (http://i.imgur.com/mrz9GW3.png) and check if it's solve crashes for you. Thank you.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Weird, I don't get the beta thing on the properties... last one is just local files.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostDavoX, on 08 July 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Weird, I don't get the beta thing on the properties... last one is just local files.

Try restarting your Steam client.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View Posttermit, on 08 July 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

I think I found the solution. Can you please opt to Public Beta (http://i.imgur.com/mrz9GW3.png) and check if it's solve crashes for you. Thank you.

Now it takes me to the stats screen but it just hangs there. Lo wang doesn't move and I can't do anything, I have to exit and terminate the process.

EDIT: same thing happened, but this time instead of terminating the process , I clicked on it again and appeared in the second level... maybe it's something related to the ending cutscene?

This post has been edited by DavoX: 09 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostDavoX, on 09 July 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Now it takes me to the stats screen but it just hangs there. Lo wang doesn't move and I can't do anything, I have to exit and terminate the process.

EDIT: same thing happened, but this time instead of terminating the process , I clicked on it again and appeared in the second level... maybe it's something related to the ending cutscene?

I'm working on this issue. From my understanding it's happening only on some windows configurations. I will try to release the fix asap. Sorry about that.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

thanks man .

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

thanks man .

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Have single-player FPS gone backwards? Nice discussion about modern FPS conventions and why earlier shooters, particularly the build engine games, continue to shine.

And this sounds exciting! https://twitter.com/...170624823496705
"Just received an awesome email about the long lost Shadow Warrior Classic expansion pack "Deadly Kiss" - hope to have more news soon."

From 3D Realms site: "Work continues on the Shadow Warrior Add-on pack, Deadly Kiss. Also authored by SillySoft, this add-on focuses on Tensi Yoka (That's No-Wang to your friends), the baby sister of the famous Shadow Warrior."

http://www.3drealms...._warrior_8.html

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 10 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I suppose this should be posted here: https://twitter.com/...170624823496705

Devolver Digital ‏@devolverdigital 1h

Just received an awesome email about the long lost Shadow Warrior Classic expansion pack "Deadly Kiss" - hope to have more news soon.

Sounds intriguing, although I hope this doesn't mean Devolver will relegate Deadly Kiss to a Redux-exclusive bonus. I also hope that this is somehow related to the select few from the community here who have been working to restore and release the expansion for the past many years now.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 10 July 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

why earlier shooters, particularly the build engine games, continue to shine.

Continue to shine? I don't think a game like Shadow Warrior has ever shine, but rather was not heard of for most people.

It's because modern games are shit meant to milk the consumer.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostFox, on 10 July 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

Continue to shine? I don't think a game like Shadow Warrior has ever shine, but rather was not heard of for most people.

It's because modern games are shit meant to milk the consumer.

I grew up on an island in the middle of nowhere and I knew about Shadow Warrior. If you look back at old PCG or CGW mags Shadow Warrior ads were plastered all over the place. It was a modest hit, selling around 300,000. Understandably 3D Realms wanted another multi-million selling title like Duke, so Shadow Warrior was shelved when it failed to reach a gigantic audience. By continue to shine, I mean it has a following of sorts. You don't see games like Timeshift or Requiem: Avenging Angel getting much attention in the forms of discussion or fan-patches these days (I'm not dismissing these games - just examples).

There are loads of great modern games, but I want it all. Every niche and audience should be catered to.

User is offline   Komenja 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 10 July 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

If you look back at old PCG or CGW mags Shadow Warrior ads were plastered all over the place. It was a modest hit, selling around 300,000.

Shadow Warrior even got it's own spin-off novels. And unlike other FPS spin-off novels, they didn't suck.

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostDavoX, on 10 July 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

thanks man .

I just pushed an update to Public Beta branch. Can you please check if it's solving the issue for you. Please make sure that you have latest version – 1.0.2 (you can see it in Credits). Thank you.

User is offline   necroslut 

I'm surprised by the number of times Shadow Warrior comes up when speaking to random people. Just random guys, not really gamers even. At least here in Sweden it was pretty big.
Would be interesting to know how well it sold here.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 10 July 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Have single-player FPS gone backwards? Nice discussion about modern FPS conventions and why earlier shooters, particularly the build engine games, continue to shine.

[YouTube video]

[...]

I couldn't agree more with TotalBiscuit on that. The FPS genre has seen such a decline in the last few years, it's just a shame. I admit that is one of the major reasons I could never delete Doom, Duke3D, Quake or similar titles of the late 90s from my hard drive for long. In the meantime, they have a permanent place there, also because the awesome communities keep delivering new mods or custom levels.

Should you play Shadow Warrior, even though you may have never heard of it (what is a bloody shame)? My answer is: YES, you should! Maybe Lo Wang isn't as known as Duke, but he is just as fun, maybe even more because he is rather the opposite. Old, clumsy and unsuccessful with women, kinda stupid. But he can deal quite some damage, which is all you need. :) And the Asia setting is something you don't see too often in shooters, so you shouldn't miss it, especially not for that price.

Oh, and while you are at it: Play Blood, too. At least the Blood TC (even though it's still incomplete and a bit bugged atm) if you can't get the DOS version running.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 July 2013 - 05:01 AM

User is offline   Skulldog 

View PostLunick, on 10 July 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Just received an awesome email about the long lost Shadow Warrior Classic expansion pack "Deadly Kiss" - hope to have more news soon.

Very good news.

User is offline   Jblade 

I really hope they don't just release DK unfinished - it would be awesome if they actually finished it up and released it as DLC.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View Posttermit, on 11 July 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

I just pushed an update to Public Beta branch. Can you please check if it's solving the issue for you. Please make sure that you have latest version – 1.0.2 (you can see it in Credits). Thank you.

I will check on my home pc when I get back from work. If we have any lights at all, there is a pretty big storm here.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLunick, on 10 July 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

View PostRinyRed, on 10 July 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

Sounds intriguing, although I hope this doesn't mean Devolver will relegate Deadly Kiss to a Redux-exclusive bonus. I also hope that this is somehow related to the select few from the community here who have been working to restore and release the expansion for the past many years now.

View PostJames, on 11 July 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

I really hope they don't just release DK unfinished - it would be awesome if they actually finished it up and released it as DLC.

We're in talks with Devolver to include DK in an update to SWCR, but a freeware package will be available as well when the time comes. Much work remains to be done.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostHendricks266, on 11 July 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

We're in talks with Devolver to include DK in an update to SWCR, but a freeware package will be available as well when the time comes. Much work remains to be done.

heh, I had a suspicion you were involved with this. Good luck in anycase (But please, find a VA for No Wang :))

This post has been edited by James: 11 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostHendricks266, on 11 July 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Sounds awesome, if I may ask, who is we in this case?

That's great news, Hendricks! I'm glad to hear Deadly Kiss will finally be able to see the light of day in a proper release.

If you don't mind me asking, how much of the expansion had SillySoft completed when Joe WIlcox (I think) sent the files to you? I'm just curious if the expansion has simply been in limbo for years like Wanton Destruction or if SillySoft still had some ways to go with actually finishing the product.

• Weaponized Autism

This is how things stand now:

Deadly Kiss Restoration Team:
me - Organizer, Research, Development
Nacho - Organizer, Corporate Liaison
Jimmy - 8-Bit Art
DanM - Map Editing
LeoTCK - Research
Victor Delacroix - Research
(Everyone has the additional credit of "Testing".)

Deadly Kiss Expansion Credits:
Joe Wilcox
Andre Lowe
Crista Forest
(...and others we don't know yet)

Special Thanks:
Bryan Turner (Bryan3DR)

Here's a short run-down of how things got started. Way back in 2009, I was trying to get in contact with SillySoft to talk about Deadly Kiss and possibly releasing NW as freeware. I first made contact with Andre Lowe, who then put me in contact with Joe Wilcox. He told me that he had a backup from a dev computer and needed to find it before sending off the data and to find the original contracts before releasing it publicly. About a year later, Nacho emailed me asking for information ont DK and I told him the current status and put him in contact with Joe Wilcox. A short time later, Joe emailed us with the data retrieved from the backup. I sorted through the data, finding (among about 200 MB of data when uncompressed) 1) the maps, 2) ART files, 3) a modified SW.EXE with the level names and stats, 4) two image files of a Deadly Kiss logo and an anime drawing of the main character. (Other interesting things included a pre-1.2 testing full version of SW and beta art from NW.) I'll skip the details but we didn't have everything necessary for a polished release, so I asked my friend Jimmy for help with art. We also recruited DanM to fix errors found in the maps during playtesting. Later, LeoTCK and Delacroix contacted me saying they had made contact with Crista Forest, one of the original DK mappers, and they joined our team. (She also contributed to Twin Dragon.)

Thanks for the answer. That is very very interesting. I wish you good luck with the restoration efforts.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostJames, on 11 July 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

heh, I had a suspicion you were involved with this. Good luck in anycase (But please, find a VA for No Wang :))

It'd be really cool if we could hire Lani Minella.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Awesome.... so how far along was Deadly Kiss when you found it exactly?

User is offline   ---- 

Came by to say I am having a blast with SW Redux. Thanks a lot.

Currently enjoying the two expansions (didn't have them back in the day as I only owned the Mac edition).

Looking forward to Deadly Kiss. :*

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Good to hear a talented mapper like DanM is taking care of the mapping business. Then again he's the only Shadow Warrior mapper I actually know..

• Weaponized Autism

View PostReaperMan, on 11 July 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Awesome.... so how far along was Deadly Kiss when you found it exactly?

It's complete, just in terms of gameplay, in that you can play through it completely without any major problems.

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options