Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition and Shadow Warrior Complete listed in Steam Database - Duke4.net Forums

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition and Shadow Warrior Complete listed in Steam Database

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostDavoX, on 24 July 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Sword is too short :P

It's Wakizashi :P

User is offline   Jblade 

I've noticed a problem with SW Redux with the latest patch, if you die the screenpal doesn't seem to be reset - so if you get killed taking enough damage that your screen is completely red than you're effectively blinded, until it's cleared by another screenpal effect.

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostJames, on 24 July 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

I've noticed a problem with SW Redux with the latest patch, if you die the screenpal doesn't seem to be reset - so if you get killed taking enough damage that your screen is completely red than you're effectively blinded, until it's cleared by another screenpal effect.

I have a fix for this, will push it tomorrow.

User is offline   Jblade 

Nice, thanks for the prompt response and keep up the good work :P

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think the sword is of a fair size, I made it to a similar length as the one original sprite where you can see the whole sword. I don't see Lo Wang using a long sword anyway, he's a ninja, a long sword is too clumsy to carry on your person.

View Posttermit, on 24 July 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

It's Wakizashi :P
I'm not sure if you're joking, but even your own new artwork for the game indicates a longer, standard length katana:

Posted Image

But it's not just your artwork. The original Shadow Warrior box art and Chuck Jones's original Lo Wang model both indicate a long katana. Of course, not all of these sources are perfectly consistent with each other or historically accurate to their real world counterpart, but the general proportions of Captain Awesome's sword sprite certainly aren't in agreement with everything else we've always seen before and become accustomed to.

View PostJimmy, on 24 July 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

I made it to a similar length as the one original sprite where you can see the whole sword.
In that one sprite where you can see the entire sword, you can tell that he's aiming it far forward to really cut through his enemies. Due to the perspective, you can't judge its length simply by measuring approximately how many pixels long the blade is in that one frame.

It wouldn't be hard to fix your current sprite, though. Just extend the blade by another 30% or so. Here's a dopey mock up I threw together to give a rough idea of how long the blade should be:

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You sound loony tunes, hombre. The sword on sprite Lo Wang's back is incredibly short. Extending the sprite is literally a three minute job, but I think it looks fine as is. I've no desire to change it and I leave the decision to General Arcade.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 24 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostRinyRed, on 24 July 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I'm not sure if you're joking, but even your own new artwork for the game indicates a longer, standard length katana:

img

But it's not just your artwork. The original Shadow Warrior box art and Chuck Jones's original Lo Wang model both indicate a long katana. Of course, not all of these sources are perfectly consistent with each other or historically accurate to their real world counterpart, but the general proportions of Captain Awesome's sword sprite certainly aren't in agreement with everything else we've always seen before and become accustomed to.

In that one sprite where you can see the entire sword, you can tell that he's aiming it far forward to really cut through his enemies. Due to the perspective, you can't judge its length simply by measuring approximately how many pixels long the blade is in that one frame.

It wouldn't be hard to fix your current sprite, though. Just extend the blade by another 30% or so. Here's a dopey mock up I threw together to give a rough idea of how long the blade should be:

Posted Image

I've never noticed the amount of times Lo Wang appears to be using a different sword. Maybe it was going to be a feature once or something that he could use different kinds of swords and katanas?

Anyway, I don't know how much longer Lo Wang's katana can be extended before it just looks plain silly though from a first person view.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Lo Wang carries his longer sword in his ass. I thought this was common knowledge.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Wang's sword extend like Wang's wang.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostReaperMan, on 24 July 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

Lo Wang carries his longer sword in his ass. I thought this was common knowledge.

We ALL know where Lo Wang keeps his longer sword :P

View PostJimmy, on 24 July 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

You sound loony tunes, hombre.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I have to remain steadfast in my belief that your current sprite is incorrect. I know that the sword is never depicted with a consistent look, but even if you judge it by the plain model used on Lo Wang's sprite itself, it's still slightly longer than what you have drawn.

You can say I'm just spouting crazy talk, but I've recently had to become acutely aware of how certain game sprites are drawn and rendered as well as how to make them all widescreen-friendly after having spent hours and hours of doing precisely that with Doom 2 and Heretic. I'm currently in the process of making Hexen's weapon sprites widescreen-friendly, and boy, do I wish that could be a three minute job! Regardless, I just wanted to share my input with you as I've had much recent experience accomplishing a similar task.

View PostLunick, on 24 July 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Anyway, I don't know how much longer Lo Wang's katana can be extended before it just looks plain silly though from a first person view.
If brought to a proper length, the extended part of the blade would actually be mostly off-screen anyway, so it wouldn't look very different from what you see right now. Nonetheless, that small change would still provide the impression of a properly proportioned sword consistent with the rest of the game.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostRinyRed, on 24 July 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

If brought to a proper length, the extended part of the blade would actually be mostly off-screen anyway, so it wouldn't look very different from what you see right now. Nonetheless, that small change would still provide the impression of a properly proportioned sword consistent with the rest of the game.

Well that's what it looks like with the Brief Hud:
Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTerminX, on 24 July 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

User is offline   Kathy 

^How the warp part was stereotyped?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostTerminX, on 24 July 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

There is no line better in the classic Shadow Warrior than "You want to wash Wang? Or you want to watch Wang wash wang?"

It's that sort of triple entendre goodness that unfortunately is missing from the new reboot. :P

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 25 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

User is offline   Komenja 

View PostKathy, on 25 July 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

^How the warp part was stereotyped?

"Asian people are bad drivers" is a stereotype.

User is offline   Kathy 

Never heard of that one.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Bad driving is probably the biggest Asian stereotype, aside from "squinty eyes" or the like...

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

My favorite line from Shadow Warrior was Wang saying "must be American made" after he tried to work the broken machine. :P

This post has been edited by Ms. Radar: 25 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

User is offline   NY00123 

View PostMs. Radar, on 25 July 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

My favorite line from Shadow Warrior was Wang saying "must be American made" after he tried to work the broken machine. :P

While I can't say that I really was into Shadow Warrior until recently (having a playthrough of the original), well, I surely remember that.

P.S. (as of July 25th, 2013) anybody who's tried querying "must be American made" on a web search engine? (Google and Bing both seem to be good candidates at least here...)

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMs. Radar, on 25 July 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

Completely racist, I demand that this game is banned.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostNY00123, on 25 July 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

While I can't say that I really was into Shadow Warrior until recently (having a playthrough of the original), well, I surely remember that.

P.S. (as of July 25th, 2013) anybody who's tried querying "must be American made" on a web search engine? (Google and Bing both seem to be good candidates at least here...)

I believe it's a play on "Must be made in china" which most people use when something is of poor quality..

User is offline   NY00123 

View PostDavoX, on 25 July 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

I believe it's a play on "Must be made in china" which most people use when something is of poor quality..

Already in 1997? :P (Or I simply heard of that a "bit" late.)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTerminX, on 25 July 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

Bad driving is probably the biggest Asian stereotype, aside from "squinty eyes" or the like...

Asians having squinty eyes is as much of a stereotype as black people with dark skin...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I have never been so offended in my life. Are you guys seriously going to let Fox get away with this OUTRAGE!?

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 25 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostFox, on 25 July 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Asians having squinty eyes is as much of a stereotype as black people with dark skin...

Yeah I have a chinese friend who when laughs looks like his eyes are completely closed, but he says he can look through them like they're wide open...

User is offline   pjVgt 

View PostRonan, on 25 July 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

Just to run with this issue - Slavs (which are basically 95% population of Eastern and Central Europe) were originally totally Asian - from the surroundings of the Aral Sea. They became indistunguishable from what we call Caucasian just because of the conditions surrounding them and some interracial magic. Basically all racism is just bull. I am myself 1/2 German, 1/4 Polish, 1/8 Jewish and 1/8 Mozambique - what race am I?

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostpjVgt, on 25 July 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

Just to run with this issue - Slavs (which are basically 95% population of Eastern and Central Europe) were originally totally Asian - from the surroundings of the Aral Sea. They became indistunguishable from what we call Caucasian just because of the conditions surrounding them and some interracial magic. Basically all racism is just bull. I am myself 1/2 German, 1/4 Polish, 1/8 Jewish and 1/8 Mozambique - what race am I?

Gerpoljewmoz or caucaisneg, whichever you prefer.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 25 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options