Duke4.net Forums: Terminal Velocity - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminal Velocity  "Anyone played this game? NOT the movie starring Charlie Sheen."

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMark., on 10 August 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

Is there some reason you can't upscale the models in a modelling program and put them back in?

Hell no. This needs to be directly binary compatible with the original game. I cannot redistribute assets (don't have the rights to). There's also a technical limitation preventing that from happening, due to how BIN files work. (They use integer coordinates, and have an upper limit on size.)

Anyhow, Mark Randel got my e-mail. He understands the issue now, and he's actually working with me now to get it fixed.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 10 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

User is offline   Mark 

OK. Maybe I mixed up your project with the other one that is using new assets.

• Auramancer

You're thinking of Smoke's HD remake project.

I'm working on the port of the originals. (Aka. TerminalFury.)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 10 August 2015 - 10:32 AM

User is offline   Juris3D 

StrikerMan, I watched your video, and i am sooo glad you got things going. Gigantic joy in my heart. And that video - it even seams you kinda listened to my advices, and if that is the case, i am proud that I did help. But maybe you just used common sense, making such good problem telling video, and thats just great :D

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 11 August 2015 - 01:30 AM

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 10 August 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

I basically need to reset whole terrain again and increase density of information, because it is quiet hard to measure a distance from the eye to the mountain in this setup

I wonder, maybe so called "detail textures" can be used? Those that add detail when you approach object (terrain) closer? I think in games it pioneered in first Unreal game.
Here is good explanation and visual examples:
Detail Textures

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 10 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

• Auramancer

This isn't related to our work, but I found a neat render of the TV202 by someone on DA: http://crazyyoda.dev...2-WIP1-33965531

View PostStrikerMan780, on 12 August 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Tneat render of the TV202 by someone on DA: http://crazyyoda.dev...2-WIP1-33965531

Yeah, I actually posted this too earlier, when Smoke Fumus was showing off his new models (post 107). Striker Man, how are you doing, do you feel better now? Did Mark help you with models?

Yesterday, when searching around, found this aerial sci-fi game:
http://www.indiedb.c...morphshift-wars
http://www.desura.co...morphshift-wars
http://axeeel.com/si...orph-shift-wars
Probably I wanna buy it, even unfinished, just to play around. But maybe someone already has it, can share impressions?

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 12 August 2015 - 10:19 PM

• Auramancer

Model rendering is fixed, same with the perspective and depth precision errors. Only thing that needs to be fixed now is picture-in-picture/multi-viewport rendering. I'll be speaking with Mark about it tomorrow.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 13 August 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

Model rendering is fixed, same with the perspective and depth precision errors. Only thing that needs to be fixed now is picture-in-picture/multi-viewport rendering. I'll be speaking with Mark about it tomorrow.
Good to see you back on track.
You can "blame" your success on neurotic, reactive, hyper-focusing, if you want, but you seem to be quite skilled.
Guys like you make me wish I still worked in software engineering... we were always looking for more people like you back then... amazing.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 13 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

StrikerMan, very warming to hear good news. Any pictures maybe? :D I like new shiny pictures :D
I wish nice smooth progress with that last rendering problem.

• Auramancer

Ok, so multi-viewport rendering is fixed... mostly. I still need to fix some parts of it.

Screenshots would be pointless. There's nothing that'll seem different from a still image.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 14 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 14 August 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

multi-viewport rendering is fixed... mostly. I still need to fix some parts of it.

I am glad progress is going nicely :D Nice to hear good news!

On the unrelated note. I decided to take a break from TVHD for a week or so. Right now i am doing JS13k game jam (compressed, deflated and minified resulting game should be no more than 13.272 kb). This one is pure webgl 8.84 right now. But only because of svg file, once that one is off, it will be even smaller.
With any luck i'll either just re-implement my spacefarer but with free flight, or advance it to include star systems and space stations.

Preview
Posted Image
Active demo (which gonna be updated with gameplay as i go forward in dev)
http://psq-games-projects.tk/sf3d/

This post has been edited by Smoke Fumus: 15 August 2015 - 05:13 AM

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 15 August 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

I decided to take a break from TVHD for a week or so.

Well, let your subconscious mind work on TVHD in that time :D
Maybe you can post some very latest screens or/and videos from TVHD? Some eye candy :D Thanks in advance!

• Auramancer

I've implemented a gameplay feature that ought to have been in there in the first place: If you shoot an enemy that is immune to your weapon type, they no longer spew debris, and you'll hear a distinct but subtle sound indicating that they deflected your shot.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 15 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 15 August 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

I've implemented a gameplay feature that ought to have been in there in the first place: If you shoot an enemy that is immune to your weapon type, they no longer spew debris, and you'll hear a distinct but subtle sound indicating that they deflected your shot.
Excellent idea! :D

MrBlackCat

Nice addition, StrikerMan!

I have some off-topic-ish question. Maybe anyone recognize what game this screenshot is from? That web page is all wrong, screenshot is not from game in title. Anyone know game pictured here? Screenshot:
http://gamezdes.com/.../1oktluw1fp.jpg

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostJuris3D, on 15 August 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

I have some off-topic-ish question. Maybe anyone recognize what game this screenshot is from? That web page is all wrong, screenshot is not from game in title. Anyone know game pictured here? Screenshot:
http://gamezdes.com/.../1oktluw1fp.jpg

Google search-by-image suggests this is some massively multiplayer online game called Air Rivals.

[Edit] The same shot but in higher resolution can be found here.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 16 August 2015 - 04:38 AM

View PostMrFlibble, on 16 August 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

Google search-by-image suggests this is some massively multiplayer online game called Air Rivals.

Thank You, Mr. Flibble! Well, I guess I have to learn more of Google search wizardy stuff :D
About AirRivals, I was aware of its existence, but too bad I don't like multiplayer gaming and absence of in-cockpit view.

• Auramancer

Anyone here good at assembly?

I need this bitty piece deciphered (preferably as a C function):

All I know about this function is that is uses a dot product to calculate visibility. Returning 1 if visible, returning 0 if not visible. How it reaches that point I don't know. Assembly confuses the fuck out of me.
int	dotProduct(int *n) {

_asm {

push	esi

mov	esi,n
	mov	eax,[esi]
	or	eax,[esi + 4]
	or	eax,[esi + 8]
	or	eax,[esi + 12]
	mov	eax,1
	je	isTrue
	mov	eax,[esi]
	imul	xv
	mov	ebx,eax
	mov	ecx,edx
	mov	eax,[esi + 4]
	imul	yv
	add	ebx,eax
	adc	ecx,edx
	mov	eax,[esi + 8]
	imul	zv
	add	ebx,eax
	adc	ecx,edx
	mov	eax,[esi + 12]
	cdq
	sub	eax,ebx
	sbb	edx,ecx

mov	eax,1
	jl	isTrue
	mov	eax,0
isTrue:
	pop	esi

}

}

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 16 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Try this. I'm not 100% sure it's correct.

int dotProduct(int32_t const * const n)
{
    if ((n[0] | n[1] | n[2] | n[3]) == 0)
        return 1;

int64_t const result = (int64_t)n[3] - ((int64_t)n[0] * xv + (int64_t)n[1] * yv + (int64_t)n[2] * zv);

if (result < 0)
        return 1;

return 0;
}

• Auramancer

It needed a small tweak, but it's working. Thanks!

• Auramancer

The game was getting some serious Z-Fighting on box lamps in some maps, but I managed to fix it. Learned how to do depth biasing, was a lot simpler than I thought.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostStrikerMan780, on 17 August 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

The game was getting some serious Z-Fighting on box lamps in some maps, but I managed to fix it. Learned how to do depth biasing, was a lot simpler than I thought.

Now if EDuke32 could get it fixed :D

• Auramancer

View PostDaedolon, on 17 August 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

Now if EDuke32 could get it fixed :D

It's very simple. And yeah, EDuke32 needs it, especially for transparent/alpha blended objects and wall-aligned sprites.

For the weird cutting with explosions, enabling depth testing, but disabling depth writing will fix that. Alpha testing wouldn't hurt either.

View PostStrikerMan780, on 17 August 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

Even I am not completely sure what are you talking about... :D ... I enjoy your going forward progress!
Okay, my little knowledge - is it about Z-buffer, depth sorting, yes? Btw, I had (still have) "Revelator 3D" glasses, I remember it made weird wrong stereo effect if Z-buffer in game was not correct. I mean, that's only thing why I learned what Z-buffer is.

• Auramancer

Some of the HUD is done in OpenGL. Keep in mind some stuff is a little wonky still.

Posted Image

• Auramancer

Here's a nice shot of Iowah, stage 2. (The level in the Hellbender Trial Version)

This screenshot was taken with 32x Antialiasing, and 16x Anisotropic Filtering.

Posted Image

Nice to see all this pretty! :D And nice screen resolution for good old Hellbender. In first screenshot, there seems to be no texture filtering at all? Just curious.

• Auramancer

There is. Stuff up close is nearest-neighbor filtered, while stuff far from the camera are linear filtered and mipmapped.

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options