Duke4.net Forums: Terminal Velocity - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminal Velocity  "Anyone played this game? NOT the movie starring Charlie Sheen."

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Well, I just got OGG music playback working in TerminalFury. This means the original CD music for Fury3 and Hellbender will be there without need for the disk.

It also opens the gateway to soundtrack re-masters working in-game.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 19 August 2015 - 06:00 PM

User is offline   Juris3D 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 19 August 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

Well, I just got OGG music playback working in TerminalFury. This means the original CD music for Fury3 and Hellbender will be there without need for the disk.
It also opens the gateway to soundtrack re-masters working in-game.

Great, thanks for making good news :D How would you say, how much or long is till some kind of "open beta" is available from you? How is now some "game ... % done"? :D
I play time to time that "TF640x480.EXE" version, obviously, but I am wondering, is that absolutely latest "hacked" version that existed? Here is screenshot of files that I have:
https://www.dropbox....uryOld.jpg?dl=0

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 19 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

• Auramancer

Don't ask. It's When It's Done™. These things take time, and are unpredictable, especially when it's in a stage of serious re-writing, which it is right now.

I made that TF640x480 exe file. The one you have is the latest I ever released.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 20 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

• Auramancer

Does anyone here have experience with OpenGL Frustum Culling? If so, speak up, and I'll post a small snippet containing my OpenGL projection matrix.

I looked up several tutorials, but they all fucking suck ass through a straw.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 21 August 2015 - 09:42 PM

• Auramancer

I posted my question on StackExchange, hopefully someone will be able to help. http://gamedev.stack...g-in-c-language

Hello, StrikerMan. I know I am not much of a technical help, well, not at all, so - I just wish you to have this week really great in coding progress. And the same goes to SmokeFumus, with TVHD and also whatever that other thing is that you are coding right now :D

• Auramancer

Well fuck my life. Almost everything hinges on getting this done (since performance is shit without it) and I'm getting nothing but shitty, useless responses for my question on StackExchange.

Getting fucking pissed off to be honest. Mostly at myself. I can't bloody fucking get this piece of shit working, and the tutorials for frustum culling are complete and total crap, aiming at very specific applications and implementations... so if you're not working with their exact tutorial code as a base, they're useless shite. I can't understand it, or wrap my head around any of this despite 2 weeks of futile attempts. All I have is this very half-assed code that, while it gets the performance I need, has visual artifacts out the bloody dick.

I need a team member. Someone who's extremely experienced with OpenGL, and writing renderers in general. I can't do this on my own. What pisses me off the most though, is I can't open the source due to signing an NDA, and others who join need to sign it too.

FUCK COPYRIGHT LAWYERS.
Seriously, If I had a choice, I'd hang them all by their own entrails.

*sigh*

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 25 August 2015 - 12:26 AM

I stand by my wishing you, StrikerMan nice coding week, weeks, months. And my guess no need to "fuck your life", it is just a piece of stubborn code, not like sun exploding or something similary really shitty. But I agree with you about lawyers :D

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

/me turns on the Plag signal

Greedy bastards! Where do these lawyers come from? Microsoft? How the hell did those lawyers get the hold of the IP rights of TV and it's source code? Lawyers from the ruins of Terminal Reality or something? Why sign this NDA bullshit? How could this happen? I would like to hear an explanation. Mark Randal has to do something a/b this.

EDIT: This is the same situation as Blood's Source Code and the rights to NOLF, is it? :D

Have you heard any news from Frederik Schreiber a/b this StrikerMan? Any PMs from him?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 25 August 2015 - 01:15 PM

• Auramancer

As far as I know, It's basically in the same situation as Blood, except it isn't a giant corporation holding onto the code, but rather legal pundits who have never even played videogames and only see dollar signs. I could be wrong however, but this is as far as my knowledge extends. Kind of reminds me of the downfall of TRI, and the kind of crap that lead to Kinect Star Wars and The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

What Mark told me, is that while he wants to see the code be open, his lawyers won't allow it... something about how TRI licenses their engines out to other companies for profit (such as their Infernal Engine). Why the fuck their lawyers think that should still apply to an engine from 1996 that isn't even used or licensed anymore, I don't know.

I PM'ed Frederik about the possibility of working together, but I never got a response.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 25 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 25 August 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

I PM'ed Frederik about the possibility of working together, but I never got a response.

Try getting a hold of him on twitter: https://twitter.com/Freschism

• Auramancer

My Twitter is a private account, I can't reach him there unless he follows me.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

You can't even private tweet him?

• Auramancer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 August 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

You can't even private tweet him?

Nope. Twitter doesn't allow you to direct message people that don't follow you.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 25 August 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

Nope. Twitter doesn't allow you to direct message people that don't follow you.

Nope.
Posted Image

• Auramancer

View PostLunick, on 25 August 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

Nope.
Posted Image

That only applies if the other person has that setting enabled. Note: Receive, not send.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 25 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

Striker, striker, my man. You're dropping the ball again. I already dropped you a gl matrix example, but just for the sake of convinience - here's a basic gl matrix construction (assuming you're using rows)
export function makePerspective(fieldOfViewInRadians:number, aspect:number, near:number, far:number): number[]
    {
        var f = Math.tan(Math.PI * 0.5 - 0.5 * fieldOfViewInRadians);
        var rangeInv = 1.0 / (near - far);

return [
            f / aspect, 0, 0, 0,
            0, f, 0, 0,
            0, 0, (near + far) * rangeInv, -1,
            0, 0, near * far * rangeInv * 2, 0
        ];
    };

This is in javascript but i am sure it can be converted into C with ease

• Auramancer

I'm not dropping shit. Just because I'm learning and working at my own pace, and not the pace you want me to doesn't mean I'm dropping the ball. You can kindly go fuck yourself with the unhelpful, condescending crap you've been slinging at me over the entirety of this project. I'm bloody well losing my patience with it. I don't speak to you on Skype anymore because it always ends up in some irritating and convoluted roundabout that gets us nowhere and helps nobody. Sometimes I think you enjoy aggravating me, especially when I don't do things your way. I'm stressed out enough as it is, and I don't need that. I need to be given room to breathe.

I tried code almost identical to that before, and it doesn't work well for how TV's engine handles things. Besides, I don't need to construct a matrix. The perspective matrix is *already made*, custom-made by Mark Randel himself. I thought I was clear about this a LONG time ago.

What I need, is the math to make sure that a polygon is within the frustum, and takes the correct shape and size of the frustum area / planes into account, all utilizing information from the matrix. This isn't easy, and the tutorials don't take into account having a custom projection matrix. It also doesn't help that I'm completely unfamiliar with the concept. I have no reference to go by. The only reason I've gotten so far is that I've always had some sort of direct, applied reference or concept to extrapolate from. I was able to get into C for example so quickly because I've already had a basic concept of it formed by over 10 years modding experience. I don't have that this time. This is completely alien/foreign territory.

Be that as it may, I'm already working on alternatives, have been for the last few weeks. Also, Mark has still been helping me out. It's nice having someone who helps you without having everything laced with an insulting/belittling undertone. It's also nice not being misunderstood all the time.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 28 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 28 August 2015 - 04:07 PM, said:

I was able to get into C for example so quickly because I've already had a basic concept of it formed by over 10 years modding experience. I don't have that this time. This is completely alien/foreign territory.
Be that as it may, I'm already working on alternatives, have been for the last few weeks. Also, Mark has still been helping me out. It's nice having someone who helps you without having everything laced with an insulting/belittling undertone. It's also nice not being misunderstood all the time.

I am sure with your skillz and with help from good people, there will be amazing results. And that includes new skillz and coding experience you will acquire on the way.

• Auramancer

I want the new renderer to support all of the effects the software renderer did, such as shadows, but with how things work, I'm going to need to use FBOs to handle shadow rendering. However, that means anything that uses less than OpenGL 3.0 is out of the question, leaving half of the Intel GMA chips out of the question.

Is everyone ok with this?

View PostStrikerMan780, on 03 September 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

that means anything that uses less than OpenGL 3.0 is out of the question, leaving half of the Intel GMA chips out of the question.
Is everyone ok with this?

Totally fine. I think anyone who likes 3D games keeps his hardware if not super powerful, then at least capable to run fresh modern stuff.
Strikerman, how it went with that "Z-buffer problems"? And anything else?

• Auramancer

Shadows are now working. Using FBOs:

Posted Image

Congrats on shadows! Hmm, I wonder, why textures aren't bi- tri- or ani- something filtered to smooth out square pixels

• Auramancer

They are. I went over this already, they're linear filtered in the distance, nearest filtered up close. Why? To prevent texture seaming artifacts.

Anyhow, here's another shot:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 04 September 2015 - 03:34 AM

Well, I guess my question should have been "why blocky textures". It was historically first thing that 3D acceleration did (3dfx, even Virge) - smoothed textures. It was kinda first and main "wow! thing" (besides rendering speed, framerates). So it is strange to see blocky textures now. But don't get me wrong: I don't question what you are doing, you know better. But I am curious :D

Additionally: thank you for screenshots, I enjoy any news on progress, and visual news are the best :D

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 04 September 2015 - 04:16 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJuris3D, on 04 September 2015 - 04:03 AM, said:

Well, I guess my question should have been "why blocky textures". It was historically first thing that 3D acceleration did (3dfx, even Virge) - smoothed textures. It was kinda first and main "wow! thing" (besides rendering speed, framerates). So it is strange to see blocky textures now.

Not directed at you, but I don't understand the "kill the pixels!" mindset. I'd rather see some squares than a smear on lowres textures.

View PostHendricks266, on 04 September 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

I don't understand the "kill the pixels!" mindset. I'd rather see some squares than a smear on lowres textures.

Well, I kinda tried to explain :D It is historical "mindset" from the beginnings of 3D-acceleration era. It was "filtered (smeared) textures = good, cool stuff, 3D-accelerated, advanced". So, for some "old-aged kids" like me, who experienced transition from blocky and slow 320x240 to "fast and smooth textures" amazing 640x480, seeing pixelated textures rings some "bad!"alarm in brain. Probably it really is just an artifact of thinking clishé from past. It is nice to have discussion about that too, and hear other opinions.

Ok here's the deal. You cannot just throw a bilinear or trilinear filtering onto low res textures. It worked back in the day because monitor resolutions were way smaller so at 640x480 blurry textures still looked like sharp edged ones but better.

But with passage of time it becomes apparent that low res textures better left with nearest neighbor filtering to preserve visual crisp and let the mind fill the gaps, rather than blur it out and get a blurry mess out of everything.

That or replace them with near-solid color analogues which can be resized and filtered freely (Planetary annihilation did that)

That or use advanced filtering, which half of the time looks like garbage on nearly colored textures (hq2x/4x, super eagle, etc)

Smoke Fumus, thanks a lot for this insight, explanation. Much appreciated!

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options