Duke4.net Forums: Rational People vs Anti-Gay People and Their Terrible Opinions - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rational People vs Anti-Gay People and Their Terrible Opinions  "split for offtopic"

View PostSangman, on 17 August 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

Maybe my memory is failing me but apart from CS (who did get banned) I have no idea who blackharted and Disruptor are or what they said.

Even then, surely there is a difference between trollbait (which is usually pretty obvious) and, well, this.

Just random trolling for the fun. Nothing to think too much about. I did it myself.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostLeoD, on 17 August 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

Muhaha, you made my day. The world is more than Russia, China and muslim-threatened oil wells.

Oh it all makes sense, then. America never elected a black guy with the name Barack Hussein Obama. His last name one letter away from the most hated person in US history. And his middle name the former leader of a country we were currently at war with when he was elected president. Nope, that can never happen because America is too damn bigoted and closed minded. <--- that's sarcasm

rasmus thorup, grow some balls and reply to my posts if you're gonna downvote them.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 17 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMad Max RW, on 17 August 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Where's the outrage over Moscow's banning of gay pride parades for the next 100 years? This happened today and almost nobody is talking about it anywhere.

You'd be amazed by the general reaction of male population towards gay men in Russia.

As for the "ban" the headline is misleading. From what I understand organisators requested/notified the Moscow government about gay parades venue till 2112, but was denied. Now the court upheld that decision to deny request. It's not the ban per se.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostBurnett, on 17 August 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

As for the "ban" the headline is misleading. From what I understand organisators requested/notified the Moscow government about gay parades venue till 2112, but was denied. Now the court upheld that decision to deny request. It's not the ban per se.

i might not have all the facts, but according to the article,"The Moscow city government argues that the gay parade would risk causing public disorder and that most Muscovites do not support such an event.".

It sounds like the right to have parades were denied because of prejudices, not because of the number of years that were requested.

User is offline   Kathy 

Of course. I'm not arguing about real reasons for denial, only that it wasn't really a ban. Also, asking for 100 years was still provocative. On the other hand the right to have pride parade shouldn't even be "asked".

View PostMad Max RW, on 17 August 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

Oh it all makes sense, then. America never elected a black guy with the name Barack Hussein Obama. His last name one letter away from the most hated person in US history. And his middle name the former leader of a country we were currently at war with when he was elected president.

Yeah, 30% of population 'unexpectively' voting for some dude from a popular political party after other's party president fucked many things up cemented USA position as the world's beacon of a non-bigoted and tolerant society.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 17 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

To clarify:

Paul B got a warning for his offensive post and had it deleted. However the rest of the original thread was more well thought out discussion so it gets its own topic. We try to let reasonablish discussions follow their full course.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostMblackwell, on 17 August 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Paul B got a warning for his offensive post and had it deleted.

This is satisfactory enough.

User is offline   Ronin 

After seeing the outrage (sort of) at a guy being hateful of gays on a Duke Nukem forum, I find it amusing and a good thing, it shows that the western world at least is growing up. People will probably look back at gay hate in 20 years and be amazed how people could be so closed minded. Gayness can be uncomfortable for straight people of both sexes as it's different to how we feel, people are wary of what they don't fully understand, that is normal in humans it's a self defence/group safety drive most of us have, but with a bit of understanding or at least a willingness to try to understand, this ignorance can be removed.

Every time I meet someone who is all gay this, gay that, fucking fags etc I always am reminded of that dad from American Beauty, who is consumed with projecting himself as the complete opposite of gay when in fact he was. Now I know this is probably not the case for most people, but you have to wonder why it's on their mind so much....

Anyway I am going to my first gay engagement party in a few weeks and I am happy to support the two guys who are solid humans, I don't give a crap what they do to each other because it's none of my business and it does not effect me, how could it? So why the hell do people still have a hang up about what harmless shit other people get up to. I remember having a row with a hardcore Muslim YouTube user and his argument was "Where do you draw the line! Next they will be fucking cats and dogs!" Ha Ha! Just shows you....

Anyone seen the new 21 Jump St film? This situation reminds me a scene from that film.

User is offline   Martin 

The US is the most accepting, non-bigoted country in the world

I also thought that was a strangely-assumptive statement from Max. I've been to America, and it's just as bad as over here. I hear that in the southern states you better hide your homosexually, not sure how true that is. I know that one of the funniest Top Gear episodes is when the guys went over there for a challenge, and one of them had pro-gay things written on his car. He was chased by a bunch of inbred hicks with shotguns in a truck. Admittedly, part of the challenge was to incite hatred from the hicks in various ways ("maximum points if you can get your co-stars shot"). Still, it's pretty scary! I bet their mother and sister are the same person.

Linkage to clip, 10mins long.

Not that that proves anything, but I don't know if I'd say the US is the most accepting, non-bigoted country in the world. Probably somewhere like Holland or Sweden. They're not a homophobic nation, and they actually treat old people with the respect they deserve. I imagine America as a place where, in areas you will find a decent degree of acceptance, in a few you will find an excellent level of acceptance/tolerance. Then there's the others..

.. What happens to gay rednecks? There must be/have been some!

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMartin, on 17 August 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

I hear that in the southern states you better hide your homosexually, not sure how true that is.

Not true at all haven't you seen the Deliverance. ;)

Its in a movie so it must be true.

User is offline   Ronin 

I also thought that was a strangely-assumptive statement from Max. I've been to America, and it's just as bad as over here. I hear that in the southern states you better hide your homosexually, not sure how true that is. I know that one of the funniest Top Gear episodes is when the guys went over there for a challenge, and one of them had pro-gay things written on his car. He was chased by a bunch of inbred hicks with shotguns in a truck. Admittedly, part of the challenge was to incite hatred from the hicks in various ways ("maximum points if you can get your co-stars shot"). Still, it's pretty scary! I bet their mother and sister are the same person.

Linkage to clip, 10mins long.

Not that that proves anything, but I don't know if I'd say the US is the most accepting, non-bigoted country in the world. Probably somewhere like Holland or Sweden. They're not a homophobic nation, and they actually treat old people with the respect they deserve. I imagine America as a place where, in areas you will find a decent degree of acceptance, in a few you will find an excellent level of acceptance/tolerance. Then there's the others..

.. What happens to gay rednecks? There must be/have been some!

True, I mean I was in Madrid 10 years ago and I saw loads of guys holding hands, for an Irish guy seeing that 10 years ago that was strange, nowadays it can be seen but middle Europe has been seriously progressive for quite some time. Ireland and the UK are only catching up now. The US is not like San Francisco all over, hell San Francisco is not like "San Francisco" all over. Max just loves the US so much that he thinks it's the be and end all of everything, fuck ya. I always find it funny when people think where they are from or what race they are or what political party they support is the ultimate, it has to be right?? I mean how could they possibly be wrong!!?

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 17 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Overtime this thread has just made me depressed.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostAchenar, on 17 August 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Overtime this thread has just made me depressed.

Welcome to humanity.

Haha how can you go from a split screen mod debate to a anti-gay debate ?
Seriously, i have nothing against gay people, but i do have something against gay people that exaggerate.
The ones that have to draw attention to let everyone know how gay they are.
I do think the gay pride is a little bit over dramatic, i personally dislike the fact that they want to shove it down your throat to let you know that they are gay...
That sounded a bit odd, but i simply meant that the gay pride thing is a little over the top.

Well, i am gonna light a fag.

User is offline   CruX 

View Postthemaniacboy, on 18 August 2012 - 03:38 AM, said:

One idiot making a really stupid, off-topic statement. That's how.

User is offline   Martin 

Seriously, i have nothing against gay people, but i do have something against gay people that exaggerate.
I do think the gay pride is a little bit over dramatic, i personally dislike the fact that they want to shove it down your throat to let you know that they are gay...
That sounded a bit odd, but i simply meant that the gay pride thing is a little over the top.

Gay pride in Brighton is one of the best nights out I've ever had. Queers know how to party!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I agree about the flamboyant exaggeration. Another fine example is the popped-collar, jersey shore, "i'm such a stud and a ladies man," douche-bag.

I hear that in the southern states you better hide your homosexually, not sure how true that is. I know that one of the funniest Top Gear episodes is when the guys went over there for a challenge, and one of them had pro-gay things written on his car. He was chased by a bunch of inbred hicks with shotguns in a truck.

Oh, it's horrible. That episode of Top Gear was not far off from reality, because that bullshit actually happens in southern America! It's the most ignorant, bigoted, backwards place you can get to in America ;)

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 18 August 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

Oh, it's horrible. That episode of Top Gear was not far off from reality, because that bullshit actually happens in southern America! It's the most ignorant, bigoted, backwards place you can get to in America ;)

Bigoted? Speak for yourself. Judging an entire region of the United States based on a few ultra-conservative rednecks, in my opinion, is the very height of bigotry. In some areas of Alabama, maybe. But not where I live in Florida.
I don't get it. Why do people let TV judge their perceptions of entire states? It's not like that at all down here.

Slippy_Pig, I hate to say it, but your post got my blood boiling, if only for the fact that your post comes across as attacking the very place I live and the people I live next to.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 18 August 2012 - 06:27 AM

User is offline   CruX 

Sure, he made a retarded blanket statement, but I can't see the use in flipping my shit over it. In the case of Texas, we've at least kind of deserved the reputation we've gotten (Thanks, John Cornyn!).

Whoah, shit, excuse me! I didn't mean that ALL of everything ever in every southern place. And it's not just based 'a few' people that are backwards/bigoted, that's a good lot of people in the really far south. I'm talking about the people who call anyone who uses the internet a "nerdy faggot". I understand that not everyone is bigoted and stuff like I said, but a very large proportion of them are. Florida isn't quite as bad as places like Alabama or Kentucky, though, so I wasn't really meaning those along with the whole "southern country rednecks". And TV didn't judge my perception of a lot of states, living in southern America and having bad experiences with rednecks did.

Seriously, I do apologize, I really didn't mean to offend you guys(well, besides the rednecks that I insulted(and I slammed them pretty hard, so I'd understand if you like those kinds of people why you are aggro )). Fuck, if that made you guys mad, I'll be a lot more careful in my wording next time.

EDIT: Well, I re-read my post, and yes, I was being a stupid asshole about it, and I do apologize.

This post has been edited by Slippy_Pig: 18 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostAchenar, on 18 August 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

Bigoted? Speak for yourself. Judging an entire region of the United States based on a few ultra-conservative rednecks, in my opinion, is the very height of bigotry. In some areas of Alabama, maybe. But not where I live in Florida.
I don't get it.

That's because as soon as you hit Florida your in the north again. ;)

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostReaperMan, on 18 August 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

That's because as soon as you hit Florida your in the north again. ;)

Up north do they have old farts in Buicks who can't drive?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCody, on 17 August 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

*puff puff* pass.

Shit, man. Where did we put the double downs?

View PostSangman, on 17 August 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

With no disrespect to admins, how does this take balls? Taking almost no action is not a specifically courageous act. The policy here seems to be "anything goes" so you never actually have to punish people for anything. This does not take balls.

I'm a pretty good example of how banning isn't a punishment and how it doesn't work. Let him be berated by his fellow man and he'll leave on his own accord in due time.

View PostForge, on 17 August 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

Doing "nothing" is doing something. This thread could have easily got out of hand and went the other way, turning into a huge flame-fest. They took that chance.

I'm not sure what you mean, but it is a counter-point of sorts to something said earlier. From my perspective this thread is not a platform for hate filled non-sense, its a platform to object to hate filled non-sense.

And it's not like this is fucking Storm Front here. I don't think a lurker is gonna go "Oh shit, Hitler's here." Speaking of which, sup guys?
Posted Image
(Down-vote shit-storm incoming.)

What is this thread about? Homophobia and gay rights? The US is the most accepting, non-bigoted country in the world and I can assure you Paul B is in a shrinking minority of ignorant boring people. You're making a big deal out of nothing. Where's the outrage over Moscow's banning of gay pride parades for the next 100 years? This happened today and almost nobody is talking about it anywhere.

Why in the flying fuck has this post been downvoted? P.S. Free Pussy Riot!

I also thought that was a strangely-assumptive statement from Max. I've been to America, and it's just as bad as over here. I hear that in the southern states you better hide your homosexually, not sure how true that is.

I'm from Virginia, and you pretty much should keep your mouth shut. I've had friends who's parents would then force them to go to church and camps where they would 'pray the gay away' or go to therapists and get drugs to not be gay. It's pretty fucked up.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 20 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 19 August 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Don't know about others, but I downvoted because of "The US is the most accepting, non-bigoted country in the world" sentence.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 19 August 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Because stuff like that is "business as usual" in Russia. It's always been a shit country (there have been fleeting moments of glory when it's embraced European norms and customs) and will always be a shit country, at least so long as it embraces its Slavic roots.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 20 August 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

Because stuff like that is "business as usual" in Russia. It's always been a shit country (there have been fleeting moments of glory when it's embraced European norms and customs) and will always be a shit country, at least so long as it embraces its Slavic roots.

So human rights suppression is okay, like in China, because it's the status quo?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 20 August 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

at least so long as it embraces its Slavic roots.

Could you elaborate about these "slavic roots"?

P.S. Just noticed that I actually haven't downvoted the post in question. ;)

This post has been edited by Burnett: 20 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostBurnett, on 20 August 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

Don't know about others, but I downvoted because of "The US is the most accepting, non-bigoted country in the world" sentence.

Me too, because that information is incorrect, and because I can't stand people constantly bragging on about how their country is the best in the world. I find that kind of nationalism to be a form of ignorance. I agree that Russia and China are seriously messed up and dangerous and devoid of the freedoms a lot of us take for granted, their support of Assad is a disgrace.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options