Duke4.net Forums: Doom 3: BFG Edition - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom 3: BFG Edition  "PC, 360, and PS3."

User is offline   Martin 

Hands-on Preview

Just got wind of this incoming remastered version of Doom 3 hitting all current platforms.

================================================================

Overview:

- Improved graphics
- Improved rendering and lighting
- Support for 3D and head mounted displays
- 5.1 surround sound
- Achievements/Trophies on console
- Checkpoint save system "for smoother progression"
- Armour mounted flashlight
- Entire Doom 3 and Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil campaigns remastered
- New single player story campaign titled "The Lost Mission"
- Doom and Doom II are included

================================================================

As a big fan of Doom 3, this is one of the best things to come out of this year's E3 for me. Yeah I know, I should be looking towards the new games and not old tat. Well, as much as that may be true, I'm still pretty excited about this one and I don't care what anyone thinks about that. Doom 3 rocks. While I'm not usually one for decrying these sorts of mechanics, I'm not sure about the 'checkpoint system'. What was wrong with just saving it wherever you wanted? You could do that even in the original Xbox port. Not a big deal, but a curious change in my opinion. Also, I don't know how I feel about the armour mounted flashlight. Rather than paraphrase, I'll just quote fromt he hands-on preview posted above.

Speaking of darkness, this new version grants you a flashlight that attaches to your combat suit. This means that if you actually want to see in the dark, you don’t have to switch back and forth between your gun and your flashlight. Gamespot Senior Editor Brandan Sinclair, in his article “The Customer Is Not Always Right“, argued that the attached flashlight is an intrusion into the game design. Talking to the representative, he’s not alone. Discussion on the matter has been about 50/50, with just as many people arguing for the mounted flashlight as those against it.

It’s not a floodlight. They didn’t change the actual strength of the flashlight. The beam is weak, especially against industry standards and what a person might expect from a flashlight in the future. But, it’s still just the same as it was in the original, and after a few moments it dies out on its own, taking a brief period of time to recharge. Personally, I would rather not have to constantly switch between my gun to my flashlight and back just to see what’s residing within the next dark corner.

So they're clearly trying to suck the annoyance out of the old flashlight mechanic whilst keeping the tension it provided. Time will tell how successful it'll be. As much as I hated using the torch, it made for some really tense atmosphere at times with only my machine gun strobe-lighting a dark hallway or laboratory. Hopefully that element remains. We'll see. I hope they bring over the multiplayer elements from the old Xbox port, specifically the co-op. I also like how they've included the original two classics. As well as being (hopefully) the definitive version of Doom 3, it also doubles as a collection of the entire series, which'll be nice on the run up to Doom 4.

What do you guys make of this? I imagine lots of furrowed brows and accusations of 'dumbing down for console' :(

Looks like the PS3 version won't be the bastard stepchild version! Hooray!

Edit: Did I just notice the marine shooting the cyberdemon at the end of the trailer? Does this mean we can kill him with guns?

This post has been edited by Martin: 25 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Error when viewing the youtube video:

An error occurred during validation.
\\
Sneaky edit.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 25 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Yeah, I fucked up. Don't worry about it. What are your actual thoughts on this release?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I have never played doom 3, so if it's cheap enough I'll get it and try it out. Nice graphics always help me through an old game, like Serious Sam HD.
Although I haven't played through all of the original dooms either, as the levels all started to feel the same after a while. I gather that was also a problem with doom 3?

User is offline   Loke 

Eager to see this "lost missions" campaign. Also really excited to see how Doom 1&2 looks on PS3.

Martin, on 25 June 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

Edit: Did I just notice the marine shooting the cyberdemon at the end of the trailer? Does this mean we can kill him with guns?

Probably just some show-off.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

The BFG Edition will be $30 on PC and $40 on Xbox and PS3. For the PC you'd save more money buying Doom 3 and ROE then use a couple mods for better graphics and whatever else. I highly recommend Sikkmod because it comes with so many features and you can tweak everything. Follow this thread for more info and other downloads. I can guarantee the official re-release will not hold a candle to the unofficial modifications.

User is offline   Martin 

I'm sure that you're right, and the hi-definition textures and parallax-mapping and all that stuff from the intense mods won't be equalled. However we don't know the extent of the changes. There could be other additions to the structure of levels, even. I think the graphics in the trailer look really nice. Then there's The Lost Mission, the changes to rendering and lighting. This could end up being the definitive version of Doom 3 to apply those mods to.

Martin, on 25 June 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

we don't know the extent of the changes. There could be other additions to the structure of levels, even.

I am willing to bet with you that there won't be any additions to the structure of the levels!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Well, who knows? Probably not, I suppose. But they have been touting improved graphics, rendering and lighting, so maybe there's some new art in there. The BFG Edition brings improvements to the audio department, as well (not to mention the new campaign). Ultimately, if you're a fan of Doom 3, I think this release is something to be excited about. If you're not a fan (which doesn't mean you don't like it, maybe you just thought it was 'OK'), then I suppose there's little about this one to bring you back. I for one am looking forward to all the additions (tentatively, on a couple of them).

Would Sikkmod work on this release as-is, or would the author have to re-gig his mod?

My main problem with Doom 3 is that the game wasn't really as action oriented as the other doom games. It tried to be scary, and a game that gives you a huge bazooka and a BFG, it isn't very scary in my opinion. I got bored after I got to hell.

User is offline   LkMax 

I enjoyed Doom 3 despite it's flaws (IMO repetitive scenarios, too few outside/hell levels, flashlight bullshit) , but the only thing that interests me is the new episode. Hopefully it'll be released as DLC.

Knowing so well how this industry works, my prediction is that BFG edition is just going to be released to earn a quick buck and most importantly, to bring back Doom3 into the public eye and to also get the new gamers to find out about it.
BFG edition is nothing more than an early start to Bethesda's publicity campaign for Doom4 that will gradually intensify as the next quakecon date nears!
Every other speculation is just wishful thinking I'm afraid.
The only thing that interests me about this BFG edition, are those extra levels said to be included.
After having played Doom3 with the sikk mod + POM + wulfen texture pack, I really can't possibly imagine what else they could do to it to make it look even better...
In my opinion, if they take those mods and integrate them into the game by default and possibly release it with some higher poly character models, the game will look comparable to some of the best looking fps games of today.
If you know how to properly set it up, sikk mod can offer some of the best depth of field effects and even turn those sharp ugly shadows into soft shadows!
Those sharp shadows were among the biggest reasons why the graphics looked outdated by today's standards but with sikk mod you can finally get rid of that long lasting issue too!
The guy that recorded this video didn't know or didn't bother to set up the shadows and smooth them it seems but it does show how cool POM makes the high res texture pack stand out.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Yeah. It looks like a cash cow after all these "HD-versions" of ps2/xbox games came out.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

They doing it all wrong, should have been done like this.

Burnett, on 25 June 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

Yeah. It looks like a cash cow after all these "HD-versions" of ps2/xbox games came out.

Yeah, like that crappy silent hill hd release where the games are not even close to being upgraded visually.
I heard they even changed some voice acting in them and ruined them and desynced their already existing voices.
What a mess lol.
I think this might be a trend...
I love proper hd remakes but this type of shit is just a way to sucker some of the fans into buying shit all over again.
Hopefully, BFG edition won't be just a cheap renamed game with a few extra levels.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Mr.Deviance, on 25 June 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

Yeah, like that crappy silent hill hd release where the games are not even close to being upgraded visually.
I heard they even changed some voice acting in them and ruined them and desynced their already existing voices.
What a mess lol.

More of a mess was that hd-remakes were made from a source code of a beta because Konami lost source of released version.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Cody, on 25 June 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

They doing it all wrong, should have been done like this.

That actually looks semi-interesting. Most of these remakes that appeared shortly or a few years after the game's release were horrible.

I consider that the "Polymer" version of Doom.
So its still no better than the original.

Mikko_Sandt, on 26 June 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

That actually looks semi-interesting. Most of these remakes that appeared shortly or a few years after the game's release were horrible.

I worked at this mod but mostly at doom reborn.
Doom Reborn was more in the direction of the hrp pack for duke 3d.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 26 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

User is offline   t800 

Cody, on 26 June 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

I consider that the "Polymer" version of Doom.
So its still no better than the original.

*cough* Doomsday (jDoom) with Hi-res pack *cough*

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

t800, on 26 June 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

The 3D models are such balls and it seems nobody in the oldschool Doom community cares enough to make good ones. Years ago I followed development of Doomsday and the "jDRP" (jDoom Resource Pack) very closely, and it was all being handled by one guy named DaniJ. He was good, but was surrounded by asskissing morons so nothing ever improved and nobody got involved for long because each version was more broken than the last. As far as I know nothing has changed.

t800, on 26 June 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Never looked at that so I wouldn't know about it.

User is offline   thatguy 

Mr.Deviance, on 25 June 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

What a mess lol.
I think this might be a trend...
I love proper hd remakes but this type of shit is just a way to sucker some of the fans into buying shit all over again.
Hopefully, BFG edition won't be just a cheap renamed game with a few extra levels.

Except Silent Hill was more of a proper HD re-release than many other games.

s.b.Newsom, on 26 June 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Except Silent Hill was more of a proper HD re-release than many other games.

I am talking about the Silent Hill 2 and 3 HD versions not about SH1 that got reimagined and made under the interesting yet much weaker version called silent hill shattered memories.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

- Checkpoint save system "for smoother progression"

No thanks.
Whole thing just reeks of bringing DooM 3 up to speed with modern FPS mechanics, which - for the record - royally suck. Doesn't show much promise for DooM 4 either.

Though it is amusing that they threw DooM 1 and 2 in there. "Look, we're still true to our roots! Come and play the games we made eighteen years ago!"

This post has been edited by Achenar: 26 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Oh, come on. "Normal" saving most likely will stay so the checkpoint one won't have any affect. Autosave within a level is a good feature to have.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Neat. Doesn't look like they improved too much, though. Properly just aesthetic changes to the rendering engine itself, not the actual models or geometry. Still, interested in the Lost Mission. But even if they do release it as a DLC, it probably won't work without the BFG Edition.

I hope the "Lost Mission" levels aren't as boring as the campaign.

User is offline   LkMax 

Achenar, on 26 June 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

No thanks.Whole thing just reeks of bringing DooM 3 up to speed with modern FPS mechanics, which - for the record - royally suck. Doesn't show much promise for DooM 4 either.Though it is amusing that they threw DooM 1 and 2 in there. "Look, we're still true to our roots! Come and play the games we made eighteen years ago!"

Complaining about optinonal checkpoints? really? -.-"

MusicallyInspired, on 26 June 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

Neat. Doesn't look like they improved too much, though. Properly just aesthetic changes to the rendering engine itself, not the actual models or geometry. Still, interested in the Lost Mission. But even if they do release it as a DLC, it probably won't work without the BFG Edition.

What would be the logic to release the "lost episode" as DLC if it only could be played with the BFG edition that already have the "lost episode"? non-sense.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

LkMax, on 27 June 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

Complaining about optinonal checkpoints? really? -.-"

As if you seriously believed that would be the only complaint I had. Look, I realize that there are people that are excited about this due to all of the aesthetic changes. That does not appeal to me. Would much rather see some decent gameplay - what was it that made DooM 2 such a great game back in its day?

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options