Duke4.net Forums: Doom 3: BFG Edition - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 10 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom 3: BFG Edition  "PC, 360, and PS3."

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#31

View PostAchenar, on 27 June 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

As if you seriously believed that would be the only complaint I had. Look, I realize that there are people that are excited about this due to all of the aesthetic changes. That does not appeal to me. Would much rather see some decent gameplay - what was it that made DooM 2 such a great game back in its day?


Doom 3 was very successful on its own so why would they need to make it more like Doom 2?
0

User is offline   thatguy 

#32

Despite many complaints, I really loved Doom 3. If doom had a proper film, I would of liked it to be based off of Doom 3, not any previous games. Although I still prefer the original look of the Archvile. He acted and looked a lot better in Doom 2.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 27 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

0

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#33

I liked Doom 3 as well. It's not my favourite, isn't amazing or the best game ever made, and it was no Doom 1 or Doom 2 (never really cared for those either), but it was scary and accomplished exactly what it set out to do. At least to me.

View PostLkMax, on 27 June 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

What would be the logic to release the "lost episode" as DLC if it only could be played with the BFG edition that already have the "lost episode"? non-sense.


I never suggested any logic would be present at all. I'm just saying I doubt the Lost Mission would be playable with the original Doom 3.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

0

User is offline   The Commander 

  • I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

#34


0

#35

More of the same can be a good thing^^.
0

User is offline   thatguy 

#36

Anyways, a Doom 4 teaser will make an appearance in the BFG release.
0

User is offline   K100 

#37

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3302/doomlostmission.jpg
0

User is offline   Kathy 

#38

That helmet sure looks strange. Or is it implied that he's looking back? Even more strange then.
0

User is offline   Night Wolf 

#39

View PostBurnett, on 05 August 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

That helmet sure looks strange. Or is it implied that he's looking back? Even more strange then.


It's this helmet
http://www.nextdimension.org/other/doom3/marine2.jpg
0

#40

I think doom 3 is a pretty good game.They tried to make it look new, but still have stuff from the good old doom 1 and 2. The weapons were pretty boring in doom 3. My favorite part was the hell levels. It just felt more like the old games. I would probably never have played this game if it wasn't called doom.
0

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

#41

Doom 3 was pretty awful at launch. Almost ten years later it is acceptable with mods, but is still far from a proper Doom game.
0

User is offline   Lunick 

  • Snazzy Ex Tazzy

#42

I read in an article though (Joystik I think) that current Doom 3 mods would with this version because of the changes to the engine.

I hope maps still work...
0

User is offline   Outtagum 

#43

Yeah. http://www.joystiq.c...-3-bfg-edition/

Quote

The flashlight and other tweaks in Doom 3 are reminiscent of past mods, which cannot work with the upcoming version for a few obvious reasons. "We incorporated a lot of id Tech 5," Willits said. "The engine is more id Tech 4.5. So the way that it's all engineered is so different that it does require that [original Doom 3 mods] won't be compatible."

As for Doom 3 BFG, id Software is still figuring out what kind of support it will add for the mod community. "[John] Carmack has to figure out what he wants to do with open source and with mod support on the PC version," Willits said, "...but it's something we're aware of."

Carmack mentioned this during his QuakeCon 2012 keynote. Among potential solutions he quickly rattled off, he said he had considered releasing specific chunks of the id Tech 5 source code something he wasn't even sure was possible. I asked Willits if id would consider using the Steam Workshop for mod distribution, but that seems to be unknown even to id.

0

User is offline   Martin 

#44

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 03 August 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Anyways, a Doom 4 teaser will make an appearance in the BFG release.


I think this is likely, but it's not confirmed.

Quote

"We're excited to reach that market. And," he added with a bit of a wink and a nod, "get everyone familiar with the Doom franchise." I tried to press him for more on the sequel still shrouded in demonic mystery, hoping that maybe there would be some sort of teaser for Doom 4 in the BFG Edition. He would only say describe this collection of Doom history as "a great bridge."


Joystiq article.

View PostK100, on 05 August 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

--The Lost Mission poster--


Damn, that looks cool! What is that monster behind him? The Mancubus? It's the same size and build, but doesn't have the same face. It's just art, I guess. Maybe it's the Guardian of Hell?

Anyone think we'll see any new monsters in The Lost Mission? I gotta say, if there isn't even one new monster, or at least variation on a monster, I'll be a bit disappointed. Are we even getting new environments?

Edit: Is it just me, or does that poster have a similarity to Duke 3D's cover?

This post has been edited by Martin: 08 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

0

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

#45

View PostMartin, on 08 August 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

Is it just me, or does that poster have a similarity to Duke 3D's cover?


https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60913436/405219_489165041094514_1206962103_n.jpg https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60913436/doomlostmission.png
4

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!

#46

I imagine Doom 3 would be a lot more appealing if the above Marine snarled "Groovy" or "Come get some" once in a while. ;)
1

User is offline   Sangman 

#47

View PostK100, on 05 August 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:



Hot dang I want that as a poster. Looks really cool.
-1

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

#48

Who wants to bet NECA or somebody makes a statue of that?
0

User is offline   Bloodshot 

#49

If there's anything I want to see, it's those pistols from the poster ingame. They look way cooler than the standard Doom 3 pistol.

Also lol - Paul Eiding, the guy who does the narration and many voices in Diablo 1 and 2, which are about Hell, is voice acting in a new portion of Doom 3, a game about Hell :lol:
0

#50

Sucks that it doesn't work with previous mods but I'm hoping that maybe the expansion pack plays more like Doom 1 and 2. One can dream.
-1

User is offline   Martin 

#51

View PostBloodshot, on 14 August 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

Also lol - Paul Eiding, the guy who does the narration and many voices in Diablo 1 and 2, which are about Hell, is voice acting in a new portion of Doom 3, a game about Hell :lol:


To me, Paul Eiding will always be Colonel Campbell from Metal Gear Solid.
1

#52

View PostMartin, on 17 August 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

To me, Paul Eiding will always be Colonel Campbell from Metal Gear Solid.


And various old men from Fallout 3 that I've been playing alot.

Anyways I pre-ordered the PS3 version. Looking forward to it.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 21 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

0

User is offline   Tetsuo 

#53

You know what's one thing that bugs me about Doom 3's gameplay. No, not monster closets or anything else others may have said. The fact that spiders come at you always in single file instead of swarming at you crawling over whatever necessary to get at you like insects would.

Also I understand that they tried to make the sound design so that it doesn't need background music but it would have improved my experience if they had included more background music at least at key battles.
0

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

  • Judge Mental

#54

View PostTetsuo, on 21 September 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

You know what's one thing that bugs me about Doom 3's gameplay. No, not monster closets or anything else others may have said. The fact that spiders come at you always in single file instead of swarming at you crawling over whatever necessary to get at you like insects would.

Also I understand that they tried to make the sound design so that it doesn't need background music but it would have improved my experience if they had included more background music at least at key battles.


I think the spider heads were more than fine as they were in the game for sheer annoyance levels. I was so happy to find the command to disable the annoying-as-hell view shake.




This does reek of cash-cow, but I am curious to see what the new mission is like. Doom 3 actually lost a lot of it's content from early in its dev cycle to the end. There were several characters cut entirely from the game, several bosses, and several sections cut out or shortened. Probably quite a bit that could be reworked into a new mission.


As far as the hatred for Doom 3 is concerned, I never understood it personally. It was very obvious early on that what id was going to do was a horror game in the Hellish world of Doom. Were there things they did that sucked ass? Oh yeah, but people who continued to rain on the game because it didn't deliver the "classic Doom experience" were not paying attention to what id had been saying all along. They didn't want to do an arcade, keycard hunting FPS game. They wanted to take a crack at a serious horror FPS.


That said I still want to see someone do a low budge throwback romp movie of DOOM based on the original games/comic book. Just for sheer unadultered manliness.



I'm still mulling this one over.
0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#55

Since Doom 3 turned out so different from the originals, one could argue that they should have called it a different name and made it a spiritual successor. Sounds like they were trying to rake in the cash of Doom's popularity back then. However it could just be similar to the quake/quake 2 thing.
0

User is offline   Tetsuo 

#56

Except Quake 1 and Quake 2 where more disimilar than Doom 1 & 2 to Doom 3. No enemies or themes except the logo that got retconned pretty much into the Strogg logo remained. Doom 3 on the other hand has pretty much all its monsters and Weapons carried over directly from Doom 1 & 2 as well as other things. So it may not be to everyones tastes but it's still a Doom game from the original company who made the game.
1

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

  • Judge Mental

#57

View PostMicky C, on 22 September 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

Since Doom 3 turned out so different from the originals, one could argue that they should have called it a different name and made it a spiritual successor. Sounds like they were trying to rake in the cash of Doom's popularity back then. However it could just be similar to the quake/quake 2 thing.



That goes against the point. The whole reason people were angry with Doom 3 is that it's "spirit" was nothing like Doom 1 and 2. The details were actually very close. But the nature of the game was very different. Both were run-and-gun, but Doom 1 and 2 was about big battles, navigating a maze, and fast pacing. Doom 3 was about atmospherics, smaller skirmishes, and completing level-based objectives. (Activate the hydrocon to get through a certain area, repair a cooling rod to gain access to the labs... etc)
1

User is offline   Tetsuo 

#58

Now that you mention that... playing Black Mesa recently I once again realized just how much Doom 3 took from Half-Life. Doom 3 even has its own "on a rail" level. So in a way it was more like a Doom\Half-Life hybrid.
1

User is offline   necroslut 

#59

View PostCommando Nukem, on 22 September 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

That goes against the point. The whole reason people were angry with Doom 3 is that it's "spirit" was nothing like Doom 1 and 2. The details were actually very close. But the nature of the game was very different. Both were run-and-gun, but Doom 1 and 2 was about big battles, navigating a maze, and fast pacing. Doom 3 was about atmospherics, smaller skirmishes, and completing level-based objectives. (Activate the hydrocon to get through a certain area, repair a cooling rod to gain access to the labs... etc)

Doom 1 wasn't really that much about big battles, there was plenty of one-on-one or one-on-three. And is really objectives that different from keycards? I always thought the keycard/objectives debate was kind of stupid, from both sides.

View PostTetsuo, on 22 September 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

Now that you mention that... playing Black Mesa recently I once again realized just how much Doom 3 took from Half-Life. Doom 3 even has its own "on a rail" level. So in a way it was more like a Doom\Half-Life hybrid.

Well, Doom was one of the main influences on Half-Life, so...
1

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!

#60

View Postnecroslut, on 24 September 2012 - 05:15 AM, said:

Doom 1 wasn't really that much about big battles, there was plenty of one-on-one or one-on-three. And is really objectives that different from keycards? I always thought the keycard/objectives debate was kind of stupid, from both sides.


Right, objectives can be worked into a level that they are basically redundant or synonymous with keys. Dark Forces is an objectives-based FPS that is basically still a key-hunt at heart - "pull this switch", "get these plans", "kill this boss", etc.. There's always going to be a good or bad way to create objectives - and more often than not, FPS designers seem to prefer the bad way. Need I say anything more than "protect Natalya"?
1

Share this topic:


  • 10 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options