• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom 3: BFG Edition  "PC, 360, and PS3."

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

The Lost Mission level(s) look like Doom 3 alpha stuff, even the hud. I might consider checking this out for myself sometime down the road, if enough new gameplay is there.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I just finished the Lost Mission on Marine difficulty and it was pretty good. Shame that more PC options aren't there and the console is disabled too :D

User is online   Lunick 

The Console is there, you just need to activate it through the autoexec. If you do that though you won't get achievements.

User is offline   t800 

Do you know what always annoyed me in Doom 3? That stupid vaporization of demons corpses. Did they finally add option to disable it? I know reasoning behind it in original Doom 3 - to not pointlessly diminish performance, but now it is completly redundant. Modern pcs would easily handle much more than few corpses laying on floor.

User is online   Lunick 

They didn't really add options, they removed way more options than needed. Those bodies still disappear. The game is also locked on the high setting internally as well apparently and not 'ultra'.

View Postt800, on 18 October 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

Do you know what always annoyed me in Doom 3? That stupid vaporization of demons corpses. Did they finally add option to disable it? I know reasoning behind it in original Doom 3 - to not pointlessly diminish performance, but now it is completly redundant. Modern pcs would easily handle much more than few corpses laying on floor.

Nah thats not in the game, but would have loved to have that option because I hate the damn vaporizing corpses too.

User is offline   Engel220 

I'm considering getting this, love DOOM and even 3 kept me happy. Question is, though, do I buy the PC version even though it apparently lacks improvements over the console versions, or do I just buy the console version? PC version is actually cheaper so it seems like an easy pick, but I don't want to get it if it isn't a reasonable improvement.

View PostEngel220, on 18 October 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

I'm considering getting this, love DOOM and even 3 kept me happy. Question is, though, do I buy the PC version even though it apparently lacks improvements over the console versions, or do I just buy the console version? PC version is actually cheaper so it seems like an easy pick, but I don't want to get it if it isn't a reasonable improvement.

Well I watched a playthrough of the 360 version and it's save times and loading times take a few seconds to load which could be a bit bothersome in the middle of gameplay, while the PC load and save times are nearly instant, so I recommend the PC version.

User is online   Lunick 

Don't get this unless you don't have any of the Doom games on PC. And even then I would suggest getting it on console or something, I just don't feel like this is good for a PC version. I do like the controller support though and the edited values for how much ammo you can store for each weapon.

The poor classic Dooms have been touched up to remove the red crosses on the health packs (like in the Xbox ports) AND have removed all the Nazi references from the game. In Doom 2 the new maps are called IDFKA and Keen. Sewers (Xbox exclusive map) can't be accessed and Betray (Xbox exclusive map) can't be accessed because the switch to the level just restarts the level.

The Autosave/checkpoint system I like but it disrupts gameplay. Couldn't it have run in the background or something?

This post has been edited by Lunick: 18 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

I have all the DOOM games on my Steam account, including DOOM 3 (Albeit that it has to be edited in the .exe before it will look roughly as good as it runs), I was just curious if this version of 3 was any better than the old PC version. I'm siding more to get the console version, but it'll be a while until I buy it. The PC version might get better by then, who knows.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostEngel220, on 18 October 2012 - 03:01 AM, said:

The PC version might get better by then, who knows.

I'd really hope that id patch the game somewhat.

I couldn't even find a Multiplayer game online so sucks for me that I can't get those achievements...

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The two versions are (from what I've heard) exactly the same. I think that there is motion blur on the PC version, but that was literally an oversight.
What I've heard is that there is no 'Ultra' setting, so basically it's like literally going back to 2003 :'(
They have improved a few textures. The main character ones have been improved, Betruger and co. all look a bit better.

I don't have my copy yet (living in England :'( )

If you want to spoil yourself, and you have a PC, get the old version and grab the Sikkmod and the texture packs and ya'lls Doom can look like this

Posted Image
screenshot by Tom Yum 72

Posted Image
screen by me

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 18 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

User is online   Lunick 

There is no Ultra setting. On the Beth forum, one of the admins said the game was locked internally to the High setting, not the Ultra setting.

• Polymancer

Basically, we get a few new missions, but the general level of graphics has FALLEN since what you could achieve on release. Cutting to the chase, PC users get f*cked over by consoles (again).

With this and the never appeared, yet promised mod pack for RAGE, it looks like we are down to ONE dev who gives a flying fornication about the PC - that being Valve.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 18 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

User is offline   t800 

View PostLunick, on 18 October 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

They didn't really add options, they removed way more options than needed. Those bodies still disappear. The game is also locked on the high setting internally as well apparently and not 'ultra'.

I am little confused about your statement mentioning that game is locked on high settings in pc version. Are you telling me that there are no advanced video options where I could adjust graphical settings according to my preference anymore? If it is true, then this is absolute outrage to all computer gamers. Will next generation PC games have just brightness, sound volume, subtitles and aiming assitant in options screen? :D

This post has been edited by t800: 18 October 2012 - 03:27 AM

User is online   Lunick 

View Postt800, on 18 October 2012 - 03:25 AM, said:

I am little confused about your statement mentioning that game is locked on high settings in pc version. Are you telling me that there are no advanced video options where I could adjust graphical settings according to my preference anymore? If it is true, then this is absolute outrage to all computer gamers. Will next generation PC games have just brightness, sound volume, subtitles and aiming assitant in options screen? :D

Posted Image
That's all the options in the new System area.

Posted Image
This is how the flashlight works, it appears on your left but it drains power.

Posted Image
Can't even get the games in order...

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

What's the price? It won't show up on Steam in Europe until tomorrow I guess.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

View Postt800, on 18 October 2012 - 03:25 AM, said:

Doom 4 Settings:

Graphics - On/Off

Also, look at the bullshit they did to the Wolf tribute maps

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 18 October 2012 - 06:03 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

Wow, I was interested in the new mission, but now I'm glad I originally bought it back in 2004.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 18 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

User is offline   t800 

I would like to know who should I thank for these "improvements". Who is behind this all, Id Soft or Bethesda? Am I really supposed to accept fact that John Carmack himself allowed this all to happen?
Oh, we should be grateful to them for at least keeping resolution, motionblur and antialiasing selection. Maybe in newer version they will also get cut out and game will automatically detect resolution for us, so they save our gamers brains from such difficult tasks as adjusting settings.
After all, maybe copies of original Doom 3 will become collector items.

And about Bloodshot's video:
I wont comment on all that political correctness and cowardly censorship it went trough. I just noticed two things besides it.
- They replaced quit messages, just compare these two and guess which one is the original:
You're lucky I don't smack you for thinking about leaving. ... or ... Are you sure?
- They even removed red cross from medkits and berseker packs. They were supposedly asked by Red Cross to remove them. I thought that Red Cross has more serious things to do... you know, protect and save lifes. :D

EDIT: Noticed another thing - why is Mods button missing from Main menu? You know what, dont answer that, I already figured it out. :D

This post has been edited by t800: 18 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

(clings protectively to his original CD-ROM version of DooM 2)

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostBloodshot, on 18 October 2012 - 06:01 AM, said:

It's kinda funny that even though the GBA version of Doom 2 has these levels censored they're not nearly as censored. They didn't just blatantly take the decoration textures out and replace them with stone walls or replace the Nazi guards with zombiemen.

User is offline   Kathy 

This a pathetic. The point of drastically editing a Wolf3d tribute level so that it would look less similar to Wolf3d is beyond me. They should have just cut it since it was a secret level anyway.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 18 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Edit: Eh, I'll just buy it on consoles when it's going cheap, from what I've read it's basically nothing new, and it doesn't really offer what it promised anyway.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 19 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

• Polymancer

GameStation sent me out a free copy of RAGE with my BFG :D

User is online   Lunick 

View PostTea Monster, on 19 October 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

GameStation sent me out a free copy of RAGE with my BFG :D

I'm jealous, I still haven't gotten around to getting that :/

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Wow, fuck this release. I find myself actually feeling almost offended by what they did to those Wolfenstein levels in DOOM II. Either Carmack signed off on this (and has therefore completely lost it) or id made a huge mistake selling out to ZeniMax.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Nazi symbols are outrageous but Satanic/hellish symbols are not? Selective political correctness creeping in again...

I guess they wanted to make absolutely sure the game could get released in Germany.

User is offline   Kathy 

Besides, Doom II XBLA(2010) version have these levels intact.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Man, maybe it was Zenimax.

Oh well. Installed Sikkmod and Wulfen's textures, and higher poly meshes for Doom 3. Looks damn nice.
Posted Image

Is there any mods to add the ROE double barrel shotty to Doom 3?

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options