Duke4.net Forums: AMC TC general - Duke4.net Forums

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC general

User is offline   Jblade 

If you download it, you will see I've done that! :)

EDIT: new page, here's the patch agian:
https://www.dropbox....ch%201.zip?dl=0

This post has been edited by Jblade: 17 March 2019 - 02:43 AM

User is offline   Steambull 

Need help getting into gameplay (into the first red grid location, basically). Struggled with this exactly the same way last time, wandering around the main base and New LA. The pad just tells me to select a mission, and there aren't any available.

Edit: Map screen already says Showdown in Hong Kong as the mission.

This post has been edited by Steambull: 17 March 2019 - 04:09 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

did you start in episode one or two? Both first maps of the first 2 episodes are in the USA; if you click on that you'll zoom in and you can see the mission there.

User is offline   Steambull 

Thanks, I hadn't realized you can highlight and click on areas like that.

This post has been edited by Steambull: 17 March 2019 - 04:38 AM

Yeah I actually wanted to mention that there should be some kind of highlight so people know what's clickable and what isn't. The same problem applies to the solar system view.

User is offline   Jblade 

I should do that, yeah - I'm also working on making plot progression maps take you back to the base map you're on IF you're not playing on the same episode. I've been getting a lot of reports of people playing older maps and getting confused when it takes them to specific base maps rather than returning them to the current one.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

As we look at missions on the map, how do we know which are story (plot progression) missions and which are not? I'm assuming there's an icon or something.

User is offline   Jblade 

Mandatory missions are squares, optional missions are diamonds.

User is offline   Solais 

Hello there! I'm new here, though I've been lurking for a while throughout the years. However, this... piece of design art made me finally register. For, uh. I guess so I can share my impressions of my first playthrough of AMC TC, and to more closely follow future developments.

While I already shared a long comment on moddb about this mod, written with my experience still fresh in mind, I still felt that I should share my experience with this TC in a more broad manner. Just to start of, in my impressions, I'll try to focus on mostly on my journey and the feel of the work and my own feelings while playing it. I don't want to talk too much about the difficulty, because to be honest, I really suck at this game, so while I dabbled in Normal mode, even Easy can be very challenging to me - which is ironic, as I was a Serious Sam modder/mapper, and yet, going against 100 Kleer Skeletons with a sledgehammer on Normal doesn't even compare to going against a single Pigcop in this TC (or really, any hitscan enemy in any Build engine game; somehow, my brain just cannot wrap itself around the feel of the engine, despite playing Duke3D since its release).
Another aspect I won't touch on is performance as I have a pretty beefy PC and the game never had performance problems whatsoever.

To start off my story, I have learned of this project from the Rock Paper Shotgun article that someone posted one day on one of the Serious Sam community discords (it was probably the official Croteam one). It instantly got my attention for two reasons: One, is that it's a very long-in-development Duke3D TC that I somehow didn't know about, despite me checking out Duke3D mods on moddb at least once yearly (in hindsight, I probably seen it before, but I gave it a pass due to the lack of a trailer and the screenshots being somewhat confusing). I already had two love affairs with fan-made projects that were developed for 10+ years, and following their development for at least as much (those projects being the Another Metroid 2 Remake, and the Mental Omega mod for Red Alert 2), so I had good feelings about this one; so far, fan works with such a passion put into them never made me disappointed.
The other reason is that the music in the Ep3 trailer was AWESOME, and what I was seeing in it was really intriguing. (Good music with fitting visuals is the no-1 way for a trailer to get to me; enough that I often rewatch such trailers even after the games came out.) It also came at a most opportune time, as recently I've been on a sort of personal research project into the evolution of the FPS genre, the apparent abandonment of the "complex design" of older games, and chasing the idea of a "true evolution of the old-school shooter", insisting that modern interpretations very often miss the point (in a way, the Serious Sam series "corrupting" the idea of the old-school shooter both in the minds of developers and many of gamers too). Yes, it sounds very pretentious, I know.

And so my journey began...

Episode 1
Spoiler

Episode 2
Spoiler

Episode 3
Spoiler

Conclusion
Spoiler

Addendum: On the world map
Spoiler

This ended up longer than I thought, so I put the post into sections, under spoiler tags.

User is offline   Jblade 

heh heh, thank you for the lengthy write up :lol: You raise good points about the diversity of the TC, and also how it is gradually shaping up as each episode is released (My main goal is to make everything feel connected rather than isolated - which is why EP1 is kind of a shotgun blast of themes whereas subsequent episodes are a bit more focused) It's also nice to see somebody who enjoyed this episode more than than episode 2. You're of course right on the money with ep4's theme, but of course it wouldn't be AMC if it wasn't also a very epic take on the genre.

By Black Gate I'm assuming you mean Dark Gate - did the spoilery bug happen before or after the patch? I'll look into it regardless.

User is offline   Solais 

Ah yeah, it was Dark Gate; the bug indeed happened before even 3.1, so since the level transition bug have been fixed, it's probably a moot point.

I'm really happy about Ep4's theme, as I often mused about the lack of Fantasy-themed shooters made in modern times (fortunately, we did get Amid Evil, though still waiting for it to leave Early Access).

This post has been edited by Solais: 14 April 2019 - 10:36 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

check out this new awesome image by sebabdukeboss20 showing off the AMC team's re-designs; more pics will also be forthcoming but if you haven't already, join up to our Discord to see it first there <_<

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: aZuk1DH.jpg

This post has been edited by Jblade: 14 May 2019 - 09:05 AM

User is offline   Solais 

Wow, that is awesome!

Also, that 3D render of the Beyonders... I seen that in a dream yesterday....

This is now my new wallpaper!

It's ass kicking indeed, at the height of the TC's excellence =)
A bit too Holywoodian to my taste though ^^

User is offline   Jblade 

A picture of the team with their new art, courtesy of sebabdukeboss20 (I'll post a comparison pic when I can)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: SPOILER_TEAM.jpg

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

It's just amazing work.

User is offline   Jblade 

And here's a comparison pic!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: COMP.jpg

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

C-Bob does nice work

I can't wait to see this in the next patch!

User is offline   Jblade 

Updated backdrop, with Rusty's model and the AMC flyer model - once again thanks to sebabdukeboss20!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Backdrop.jpg

User is offline   Jblade 

Icarus has taken a look at AMC TC episode one!

https://youtu.be/uZDtipqEnZA

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Does AMC stand for Alejandro's Mapping Center within the AMC TC universe, or does it stand for something else?

User is offline   Jblade 

It stands for Allied Military Complex inside the mod.

User is offline   John Brown 

View PostJblade, on 25 May 2019 - 01:07 AM, said:

It stands for Allied Military Complex inside the mod.

There is also the... "revised" definition in Ep 3. Wink.

User is offline   Lt.Havoc 

soo, finally got around to start playing EP3 and so far I like it a lot, but I seem to have some odd graphic issues, nothing major, but the skyboxes are all funky and sometimes walls and stuff become transparent. I also still have the odd research issue that I already picked up the mind level shield six but cant research it because I dont have mind shield level 2.

User is offline   Avenger 

Have the majority of the bugs been fixed for this now?

I attempted to pllay this roughly 4 months ago but it was stuck in software render (despite manually selecting OpenGL several times) which made the game run like trash and was virtually unplayable...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That has nothing to do with us per se. Software mode is the only supported renderer. On my computer, OpenGL tends to be slower than software in many areas. On top of that, there are numerous TROR glitches for the supported eduke32 builds, and newer builds tend to crash.

There is a big update in the works though, which focuses on improving some of the art, so perhaps it would be worth waiting for that.

User is offline   Avenger 

View PostMicky C, on 01 June 2019 - 11:36 PM, said:

That has nothing to do with us per se. Software mode is the only supported renderer. On my computer, OpenGL tends to be slower than software in many areas. On top of that, there are numerous TROR glitches for the supported eduke32 builds, and newer builds tend to crash.

There is a big update in the works though, which focuses on improving some of the art, so perhaps it would be worth waiting for that.

OpenGL is hardware accelerated so unless you are literally running a potato I can't see any reason why software would perform better under normal circumstances...

For example the latest eduke32 build running Duke Nukem 3D, NAM or WWII GI utilizing OpenGL easily pushes 250+ FPS on my machine because the GPU is being utilized while the only compatible version running AMC TC in software render struggles to make 30 FPS often dropping into the 10-12 range.

So my question is: Why have you decided to set the game up in such a way?

How would an artwork change fix this issue?

This post has been edited by Avenger: 03 June 2019 - 02:19 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I didn’t say it would fix the issue. I said it because if you were going to give the TC another try, having improved art would be a benefit.

The maps in the AMC TC are far larger and more complex than those released in the 90’s. Polymost is still fairly CPU-bound because of how dynamic the engine is, meaning the GPU sits around waiting while the CPU is processing things. The net result of this and other factors means that polymost is slower in several maps.

There is talk of the eduke devs doing some under-the-hood improvements to move a lot more of the polymost processing. TROR is also relatively glitch-free in polymost now, however the builds where it is fixed seem to cause crashes. So down the line, hopefully, the TC will be glitch-free and running on polymost with a high frame rate. When this will happen is hard to say.

Share this topic:

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options