Duke4.net Forums: AMC TC general - Duke4.net Forums

• 37 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC general

User is offline   Jblade 

http://www.moddb.com...ads/amc-tc-v130

(I've started a new topic because I was getting sick of seeing Merry X-mas in the topic bar everytime I updated the old thread, so if any mods read this please lock the old one or something <_<)

Version v1.10 is ready for download :huh: The full list of changes are listed on the download page, but I'll bring up the big ones here. You'll need to re-download the whole mod as the patch effects pretty much everything. Either download and unzip into your existing directory to keep your data files and configurations, or into a new directory if you're just starting.

Posted Image
-Revamped skill levels; the Expert and Professional skill levels give far greater challenge than Normal mode. Professional adds an even bigger challenge than Expert; the crosshair is disabled meaning guns with sights are far more vital to success, many weapons kick upwards meaning that you'll need to keep greater control of your weapon, and reloading takes longer meaning a careful approach is recommended. Don't forget that you can lean around corners to assess threats by standing, holding the use key, and pressing turn left/right.
-Beat all levels on Expert mode to unlock Gold standard weapons that can be purchased from the Shopkeeper. Although expensive, these weapons are effective against
all enemy types. Episode 1 has gold standard replacements for all character's slot 1 weapons.
-Beat all levels on Professional mode to unlock an extended ending for Episode 1. You only need to do this once, afterwards the ending will be unlocked and always show after the epilogue map.
-New weapons! 2 new guns can be found in Snow Base for Mikko, and several others are available for purchase from the Shopkeeper, as well as a new spell for Sang found in Dis Base.
-New enemies! The Zombie soldier and a suprising new addition to Dis base!
-New areas to Dis Base and Millhaven, and map improvements to many others as well
-Improved weapon bar showing akimbo gun modes and grenade launcher attachments, .etc .etc
-Lots and lots of bug fixes and improvements (see changelog)

This post has been edited by James: 17 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

If you wait long enough the original thread will disappear off the front page and into obscurity after enough people post asking how to make Duke it out in D.C. work, or proposing projects that never get off the ground because they want someone else to do all the work.

Merry X-mas

User is offline   Player Lin 

Nice update! <_<

-Beat all levels on Professional mode to unlock an extended ending for Episode 1. You only need to do this once, afterwards the ending will be unlocked and always show after the epilogue map.

Sounds like ****ing awesome.

But I guess I must completed that without cheating else it doesn't unlocked like the witch-saving ending?
(Yeah, I know that's stupid...you can blame me. :huh: )

User is offline   Hank 

View PostForge, on 23 April 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

Merry X-mas

Merry Christmas all over again. Posted Image

One minor item, I thought the barrel was fixed?

I just downloaded the latest, and installed it. Could not find the .bat file and used eduke.exe instead, and am starting from scratch with the game. I say this again, a lot of work and effort, wow Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 23 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 23 April 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

Nice update! :D

Sounds like ****ing awesome.

But I guess I must completed that without cheating else it doesn't unlocked like the witch-saving ending?
(Yeah, I know that's stupid...you can blame me. <_< )

Yeah, cheat and you don't get the achievements :huh:

Hank: The barrel wasn't fixed, I will get onto it at some point ;)

User is offline   Jblade 

http://www.mediafire...gg5bokbxg5ey53a

I overlooked something with fixing an error regarding to sprinting in mid air, this fixes that error. It was really dumb to release a big version without running through it, but I've given up games for April for charity (and raised about £50) so I didn't want to break that even for testing it.

User is offline   Jim 

New user and one simple question: How to do bind the special keys that the AMC TC and Imagination worlds needs (like alt fire)? Thanks!

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostJim, on 24 April 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

New user and one simple question: How to do bind the special keys that the AMC TC and Imagination worlds needs (like alt fire)? Thanks!

You can do that in the key configuration menu; the new keys are shown in green text whilst the default keys are show in blue text <_<

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

1.11 bug report: "// LEAVE BLANK" is displayed next to the hand or PDU symbol. It looks like you meant to have a comment in the code but somehow the comment got defined as an actual quote.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 April 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

1.11 bug report: "// LEAVE BLANK" is displayed next to the hand or PDU symbol. It looks like you meant to have a comment in the code but somehow the comment got defined as an actual quote.

hahah, woops. fixed!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I enjoyed the first level, especially the story about the Octabrains. A few places were too dark to fight enemies in (at one point there was a commander shooting at me and I literally could not see him at all). I guess this is the result of EDuke32's ever-changing shading. And now that I think about it, I have been playing in Polymost and the levels were probably shaded for classic. The sniper rifle is a great weapon, as long as you don't use it for sniping. I think of it as a high-powered revolver with a long barrel. I really like the temporary weapon system; it's a great way to give more weapon variety without having a million sub-weapons.

There was a short cutscene before the next level and I did not understand it very well. I was a little taken aback about going straight to the next mission without returning to base first. I thought I would have the opportunity to select a new character. I had played an earlier version of the second level and commented on it before; it's a great level with some amazing atmosphere and Metroid-ish touches (the powerful cyborgs busting out of the walls were a nice addition). Now some complaints. I was using Mikko and the BFG weapon was useless. It killed me a few times because I was inside the blast radius (it's a huge radius apparently) but it did not kill the monsters despite a direct hit. Also, it takes about 3 seconds to fire, which is incredibly long. Another complaint I have is that you haven't fixed that old Duke bug that causes monsters to get pushed towards the player (instead of away) when hit by explosives. It's an issue with the big cyborgs and some of the other tough enemies. Finally, I really hate the red tint that obscures the screen during the self-destruct timer at the end of the level. The level is already dark, and with that tint I was almost blind. Even though I knew the way to the escape route, I still barely made it because I could hardly see anything.

Things were going pretty well until I got stuck in the Abyss. I suspect that something is buggy. There's the big door that requires objects to be inserted on either side of it. I got one of the objects, but the other is nowhere to be found. On one side of the big door there are spinning platforms which lead to a floating spiral staircase area. I hit the switches atop both staircases to open a path, explored the path and killed all the monsters. On the other side of the big door is a lava area with some high cliffs above that I cannot reach and candles floating high in the air. I have explored everywhere that I can go and picked up all items and killed all monsters.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

In the area with the floating candles, there are some sprites which only appear when you're right next to them. Go between the two candles on the cliff to walk on them.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 25 April 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

In the area with the floating candles, there are some sprites which only appear when you're right next to them. Go between the two candles on the cliff to walk on them.

Oh, I see it now. But I'm sorry, that is really shitty. I'm surprised no one else has complained; you can bet I would have if I were a beta tester. You have to walk right up to the edge, almost falling off before the first sprite appears. I had walked to the edge before, but not close enough. To make matters worse, nothing shows up if you use the scanner. The scanner is just about the coolest thing ever, but what's the point if it's not useful in a situation like that? I had actually scanned the whole area earlier with no results.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I finished the Abyss. I suggest having the very first sprite bridge appear when the player is much farther away; the others can all be the same.

Now I'm on Milhaven. Found one key and used it on a door nearby which didn't seem to help me. Now I have found two other doors that need keys and I can't find any keys. I have searched all the trailers and inside all the buildings that I can get into (including the bar with the ghost). I even found some special sunglasses that make the world greyscale, but no keys. I dunno, I'm starting to think that this TC just does not agree with me. You either have to be someone with a ton of free time and patience, or have the right instincts about where to press use and whatnot, which apparently I lack.

User is offline   Jblade 

I finished the Abyss. I suggest having the very first sprite bridge appear when the player is much farther away; the others can all be the same.

I'll make the first one more obvious - also good idea on having it show up on the scanner, that would make alot of sense <_<

Now I'm on Milhaven. Found one key and used it on a door nearby which didn't seem to help me. Now I have found two other doors that need keys and I can't find any keys. I have searched all the trailers and inside all the buildings that I can get into (including the bar with the ghost). I even found some special sunglasses that make the world greyscale, but no keys. I dunno, I'm starting to think that this TC just does not agree with me. You either have to be someone with a ton of free time and patience, or have the right instincts about where to press use and whatnot, which apparently I lack.

You mean the red plug? you can go inside the generator building and through there you'll find some C4. In retrospect having the new doors show up on scanners would also be a good idea. For what it's worth the next two levels are much more straightforward, but the last one is similar to Millhaven (not quite so big though)

Now some complaints. I was using Mikko and the BFG weapon was useless. It killed me a few times because I was inside the blast radius (it's a huge radius apparently) but it did not kill the monsters despite a direct hit.

It deals a huge amount of damage, but it shouldn't really hurt the player so I'll change that.

Another complaint I have is that you haven't fixed that old Duke bug that causes monsters to get pushed towards the player (instead of away) when hit by explosives. It's an issue with the big cyborgs and some of the other tough enemies.

Was there a general fix for that (ie just removing the monster's xvel when hit) or would it have to be case specific for every explosive weapon?

There was a short cutscene before the next level and I did not understand it very well. I was a little taken aback about going straight to the next mission without returning to base first. I thought I would have the opportunity to select a new character.

This is a common complaint that alot of people had, next episode I'll make it so you return to base after every mission and launch the mission via a console rather than the way it is now.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I actually did find the plug in Milhaven, and I even found the slot to plug it into. But there was a lot of time between finding the two and I became interested in finding keys in between. I actually forgot about the plug entirely and did not return to the plug slot to use it. I know it probably sounds retarded, but it would be nice if the PDU gave you a message when you pick up the plug, like "It appears this device can be inserted in the slot near the electrical discharges." Also, there are a lot of inventory items without any explanations. Could you make descriptions of them pop-up on the PDU inventory screen when the mouse hovers over them?

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 April 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

I actually did find the plug in Milhaven, and I even found the slot to plug it into. But there was a lot of time between finding the two and I became interested in finding keys in between. I actually forgot about the plug entirely and did not return to the plug slot to use it. I know it probably sounds retarded, but it would be nice if the PDU gave you a message when you pick up the plug, like "It appears this device can be inserted in the slot near the electrical discharges." Also, there are a lot of inventory items without any explanations. Could you make descriptions of them pop-up on the PDU inventory screen when the mouse hovers over them?

A mission update would be a good idea yeah. Also inventory items should have descriptions (most of them anyway) keys don't since they all function the same. I'll go over and add descriptions to things I missed though.

This post has been edited by James: 26 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

If the clip is not full and you hold the reload key on Rusty's shotgun, the reloading animation and sound will keep looping forever until you release the key. Also going through the fake door teleporters will cause the player's selected weapon to change.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 April 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

If the clip is not full and you hold the reload key on Rusty's shotgun, the reloading animation and sound will keep looping forever until you release the key. Also going through the fake door teleporters will cause the player's selected weapon to change.

Fixed the first one - the second should be easy to fix as well.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

A couple of small things which aren't bugs but could be changed: The hud hands move too quickly when the player is on a ladder imo. The sound it makes when you touch a bush sprite is alarming; it sounds like a rattlesnake is about to bite you, it doesn't sound much like stepping on a bush.

User is offline   Jblade 

If I find a better replacement for the bush noise I'll use it since it is a bit loud; I think the ladder hands are ok since you move at a pretty unrealistic speed on them anyways.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJames, on 26 April 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

I think the ladder hands are ok since you move at a pretty unrealistic speed on them anyways.

The hands flash so quickly it kind of looks glitchy. I realize that if someone were actually going up a ladder that fast, then their hands would indeed be moving at super speed. But the same could be said about the rate of gun sway while the characters are running at 100kph. If you have one unrealistic thing in a game (speed in this instance), then making other things try to match it often feels wrong. The same issue comes up with scale in Duke 3D. If you make scale realistic, then the game feels cramped.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 April 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

I enjoyed the first level, especially the story about the Octabrains. A few places were too dark to fight enemies in (at one point there was a commander shooting at me and I literally could not see him at all). I guess this is the result of EDuke32's ever-changing shading. And now that I think about it, I have been playing in Polymost and the levels were probably shaded for classic.

If you were playing in Polymost as you say, there's a chance that you have an r_shadescale of greater than one and objects that should be really dark get completely black. In that case, try setting r_shadescale_unbounded to 0.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 April 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

The hands flash so quickly it kind of looks glitchy. I realize that if someone were actually going up a ladder that fast, then their hands would indeed be moving at super speed. But the same could be said about the rate of gun sway while the characters are running at 100kph. If you have one unrealistic thing in a game (speed in this instance), then making other things try to match it often feels wrong. The same issue comes up with scale in Duke 3D. If you make scale realistic, then the game feels cramped.

That's a fair point - there's also a bug I noticed where the display code may be affected by other code, so I'll take a closer look and see what I can do.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHelixhorned, on 26 April 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

If you were playing in Polymost as you say, there's a chance that you have an r_shadescale of greater than one and objects that should be really dark get completely black. In that case, try setting r_shadescale_unbounded to 0.

That's possible, but AMC TC already comes with a set of cfg files, so if there is a better setting then it should be distributed that way.

User is offline   Jblade 

I can't really comment becuase visibility settings look fine for me and I haven't received any other comments about the darkness from people I know who play with Polymost as well like Mikko. If there are other people who have problems with visibility than I'll definitly look into tweaking it.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I finished Milhaven and Mikko's snowbase level. I liked he straightforwardness of Mikko's level (the only level where I did not get stuck at any point), but the difficulty seemed a little low. By the way, I think you reduced the mouse steering on the armored suit too much. I ended up using the turn left and right keys instead of the mouse to steer. Pretty awesome, though.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 April 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

I finished Milhaven and Mikko's snowbase level. I liked he straightforwardness of Mikko's level (the only level where I did not get stuck at any point), but the difficulty seemed a little low. By the way, I think you reduced the mouse steering on the armored suit too much. I ended up using the turn left and right keys instead of the mouse to steer. Pretty awesome, though.

I've fixed that whilst asking fixing another issue with the power suit <_< I think having that level be a bit easier is a nice refresher break since the other levels are pretty difficult.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

In the Russian level, your buddies will sometimes fall right through the bridge and end up in the water below. I wasn't sure what had happened to them until I reached the battlefield below the bridge and found them in the water. I can't think of a good fix for that. This was another easy level, though slightly harder than Mikko's. What made it easy was the abundance of equipment. By the way, it's satisfying for enemies to drop equipment and that's something that is missing from this TC. You might consider adding enemy drops for the second episode.

One little problem I had was that the tank would get blocked by my buddies. I had to get out of the tank and lead them away from it before I could proceed. I also managed to get it stuck on the top of the stairs leading to the palace (obviously I should not have driven it up there). This required reloading a saved game, since I did not want to fight the other tanks without my tank. By the way, that's very nice how you have the body of the tank rotating in a smart way to match its direction.

The boss fight at the end of the level was the one part that was a little hard. But then I discovered that the boss was content to say in one place while I used cover and gradually wore him down. I think he may have gotten himself stuck.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 April 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

I thought the reduced mouse steering on the mech was to emphasize how slow the mech was, or maybe that it was just a prototype, but if that's not the case then it yes it would be nice to have it a bit faster.

I fell down in the Abyss, over a cliff right after you get the pictured weapon and before you have to do all that platforming to get to the huge tower, and I didn't die. I turned to the left and started moving forward and then I started falling and died at the bottom. If it happened here it can probably happen in other places.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 37 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options