Duke4.net Forums: AMC TC released - Merry x-mas! - Duke4.net Forums

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

AMC TC released - Merry x-mas!  "One hell of a christmas present"

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 29 January 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

nice, hopefully this will tip anybody left who hasn't tried it yet and visits MSDN over and encourages them to try it :D

EDIT:
"This is the work of the best mappers and coders in the community"
coders? Apart from a few small bits of code from DT and a few others it was all me hah hah :D

This post has been edited by James: 29 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

For the next release among the other improvements and bug fixes, I'm also revamping the two higher skill levels. What was the Hard skill level has now been replaced by Expert; it's functionally the same with you taking higher damage and not being able to damage protected enemies without the proper equipment.

However, what was originally the Expert level is now called 'Professional' - this skill mode is being designed to be MUCH harder than Expert was. Alongside higher enemy counts, Elite variations of enemies appear that have more health and deal more damage. This means that ammo conservation is much more important than ever before. As well as that, weapons no longer automatically stay on center when firing; weapons with high kickback will force your view upwards requiring you to manage your aim much more carefully. Alongside that, the Crosshair is gone, making guns with lasersights or Holotech devices far more valuable (and certain normal guns can be aimed down the sights) The mag counter is gone, and reloading guns takes longer meaning that more thought and care is needed to be put into when and where to reload (This also means that shell-by-shell weapons like Shotguns are much more valuable as keeping them topped up is easier) This mode's designed to be really really difficult, hence why Expert replaces the original Hard setting - if you enjoyed the challenge of Expert than you can still play on that level.

Beating a level on any skill level will earn a trophy that's displayed in the mission select room; Bronze for easy, Silver for medium, Gold for expert and Platinum for professional. I'm thinking of a reward for getting all gold/platinum trophies such as Golden Weaponry, any suggestions you guys have would be welcome :D (As well as ideas for making Professional mode even harder)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Posted Image I take it that you're going to complete the game yourself on professional before releasing it to the masses?

User is offline   Jblade 

yeah of course...or at least I'll give it a good try :D I've played the mod so many times that even Expert was easy for me.

"Professional" sounds like something you'd play for sheer machismo value rather then fun, personally.
I hope you restrict any rewards for beating the higher difficulties to purely cosmetic ones.

User is offline   XThX2 

For Professional Mode :

* Zombies on ganymede have a chance of X% to rise after dying once.
* If you get hurt for less than 20 hp, your screen flashes red occasionally.
* Secondary ammo types (silver bullets, tesla, flechette etc) damage increased by X%. (to make them far more valuable)
* More than 1 cultist can try to strangle you.
* The shadowy monsters on ganymede occasionally dash to the sides.
* Pentagrams hurt you when they spawn.
* When you have lots of armor points, you begin to slow down. (not annoyingly high though)
* Explosions temporarily blind you.
* Healing Stations on mega base heal for less.

Off the top of my head.

This post has been edited by XThX2: 30 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Rusty's shotgun rifle thingy seems to be able to reload even when it's full of ammo.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostRaritysretainer, on 30 January 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

"Professional" sounds like something you'd play for sheer machismo value rather then fun, personally.
I hope you restrict any rewards for beating the higher difficulties to purely cosmetic ones.

The top difficulty is something infuriatingly challenging? Oh shit, stop the presses! :D

User is offline   Jblade 

So far I find it more fun than normal or Expert mode, but I prefer fighting through with the skin of my teeth rather than laying waste to all in front of me :D All of the Resident Evils, which were a big inspiration to me, had cool rewards for beating the game on difficult.

* Zombies on ganymede have a chance of X% to rise after dying once.

Interesting idea, a headshot would stop this though!

* If you get hurt for less than 20 hp, your screen flashes red occasionally.

Nah I find those kind of things horribly irritating :D

* Secondary ammo types (silver bullets, tesla, flechette etc) damage increased by X%. (to make them far more valuable)

On Expert and Professional normal ammo can't even harm the protected enemies so these items are already far more important.

* More than 1 cultist can try to strangle you.

That would be difficult to pull off and make look convincing.

* The shadowy monsters on ganymede occasionally dash to the sides.

They need some form of change anyway; strafing is interesting but I might make them 'melt' into shadows and re-appear near the player (I'm certain Dan gave me this idea ages ago but I never got round to doing it)

* Pentagrams hurt you when they spawn.

Hmm, I think the enemy itself would be a threat enough to the player without cutting off an area to move into :D

* When you have lots of armor points, you begin to slow down. (not annoyingly high though)

I'm not keen on this idea because if the player wants to speed up there's no way to remove armour which means they'd have to seek out damage. If I did do something like this, it'd be like an alternate outfit that gave better damage reduction but reduced Stamina (and equipped via the loadout terminal)

* Explosions temporarily blind you.

Doesn't seem terribly far although realistic since enemies can't have the same - I might code in a ringing noise though.

* Healing Stations on mega base heal for less.

In the release version Health stations already have less health depending on Skill level, just like Half-life.

User is offline   MetHy 

gonna start livestreaming the game on expert in a few mins at

www.livestream.com/survivalhorror

it's gonna be in the recorded videos if you want to watch it afterwards

I'm replaying as Rusty and I want to report something :

1) The Megabase is too "empty", there are too few enemies in the open areas. I know, there are a lot of them on the inside, but I was expecting more action for such a big map. I suggest to adding more enemies, weapons and ammunition. And perhaps the last part is a bit too dark.
A funny thing : if you somewhat doesn't kill the battlelord before the final cuscene, you'll hear and see him wander around the AMC Team. Weird but funny :D

2) Dis-base has the exact opposite problem of the Megabase : there are A LOT of tough enemies and too few weapons / ammunitions. And the "base weapon" of Rusty is terrible against those shadows. Since it's slower than the regular Duke or Mikko gun, I suggest enhancing his damage. 10 bullets of Rusty's gun to kill one of these shadows on "Let's Rock" skill is simply too much.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I think Megabase's balance is just perfect. I like how there are hardly any enemies during the climb-up sequence. The problem with increasing the amount of monsters is that it may render a map very boring. In fact, there's a bit of this going on in Dis Base (as you implied, although I don't think there's an issue with ammunition) but that could be simply due to my having played the map a billion times.

Mikko, it's all about your playing style : I personally enjoy blasting away large amounts of enemies, especially with "big guns". So, I feel the Megabase somewhat "empty".
Dis Base is excellent, but I felt there was a bad balance between enemies and weapons / ammunitions even the first time I played it using your character (and your base gun is more powerful than Rusty one, for once it's faster). The second time I was in Zaxtor form and was more easy, as I know the level structure, but this time as Rusty I'm having an hard time. Dunno, is this intended ?

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMetHy, on 31 January 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

gonna start livestreaming the game on expert in a few mins at

www.livestream.com/survivalhorror

it's gonna be in the recorded videos if you want to watch it afterwards

I was at work so I missed it live but thanks for this, I'll watch it when I get a bit more time :D

Gonna give the mod an entire runthrough tonight, is v1.05 the most recent version then?

This post has been edited by Sangman: 31 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

User is offline   Lt.Havoc 

View PostSangman, on 31 January 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Gonna give the mod an entire runthrough tonight, is v1.05 the most recent version then?

No that would be 1.07 and it can be found at the Wiki: http://amctc.wikia.c...iki/AMC_TC_Wiki

User is offline   Jblade 

Since you're a part of the team the latest version can be found at the AMC TC development forums :D You can check out a inprogress version with the bug fixes and everything as well as improvements.

Uh, oh yeah!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostSangman, on 30 January 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

The top difficulty is something infuriatingly challenging? Oh shit, stop the presses! :D

I think it's these sorts of attitudes that are making games mediocre. Challenges are great, and in this case it's even optional!

• Honored Donor

Unless the challenge is in a game with regenerating health, because bigger challenge = more time hiding behind rocks not doing anything. (And the most frustrating thing is that if you die, it's because you know that you didn't do enough hiding behind rocks...)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 01 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostLt.Havoc, on 31 January 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

No that would be 1.07 and it can be found at the Wiki: http://amctc.wikia.c...iki/AMC_TC_Wiki

could you please update this also on indiedb or moddb, which ever you signed up to? I can track this game via updates, not sure how this would work in wiki. This game is already in the 900 on indie, so perhaps, more updates get more attention. Yes, yes, the cream rises to the top but why freeze the milk. Every update gets front page. Mikko's review should be an update and any bug fix, methinks.

Yep mouthing off, I love this game. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 01 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

The update will be soon, since it also updates the main file and is not a seperate patch I want to add new stuff to make it worth the hassle for people who already downloaded it :D I really am glad you're liking it though! More feedback would be great from other places but so far I've gotten loads from here which is great as it is.

This post has been edited by James: 02 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

I've added a few new achievements as well as a basic trophy system; you earn a trophy depending on the skill level you beat a level on. Bronze for easy, Silver for Medium, Gold for Expert and Platinum for Professional. You get a achievement for getting all gold trophies and another for getting all silver - beating a skill level on a high setting will also give you any trophies below that one (since forcing you to replay the same level 4 times blows)

I'm also adding achievements for kill counts and headshots as request - just so I know, how many enemies have you guys killed so far? You can check in the status section in the personel computer in the AMC base. My kill count so far is over 250,000 but I test the TC alot :D I'm just curious as to what levels I should set these kill count achievements for. I will add one for headshots, but unfortunately that won't count headshots done so far since they've not been recorded.

This post has been edited by James: 06 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   Lt.Havoc 

Well, I killed 23,311 enemies so far, Drank 775 Beer, saved 115 people and collected 355 amulets.

User is offline   Jblade 

Cool - I set the first achievement at 10,000 kills and called it 'Operators Operating' as a joke - the next one is just called 'Grim Reaper' and is achieved at 250,000 kills :D I might have to add an intermediate one at 100,000 kills, but I'm not sure.

User is offline   Rhaisher 

I've been following the community for two years now, but never registered. I've been playing the mods, maps and TCs from this site but never leave a feedback on the forums... but I can't stand it anymore! I need to tell you guys that your TC is amazing! :D

Well, that being said..., there's a few things I'd like to know: What am I supposed to do with the "cog" (the clock-looking machine piece) found in the crypts of Providence? I've finished the episode without using it.
And another thing I'd like to ask... Is there a way to finish an invasion map? I've played solo the "Urban Dead" map, withouth cheating and managed to kill even more zombies that the ones spawned (an icon like a gas mask appeared under the kill count). And, is there a way to recruit soldiers? I've played the map as an "user map", but in the screenshots of the TC I've seen that the player has allied AMC soldiers. In order to have them as allies do I have to launch the map from the console?

Well, that's all. It's a pleasure to be a part of this community. Keep up the good work, guys! :D

User is offline   Jblade 

Welcome to the community, and thanks :D I'm glad it inspired you to join up, nice to hear that!

The cog can be used in a small side room inside the area where you zipline from the church into. There's 2 slots the cog can go into; one unlocks a door with a riotgun for James and the other for Sang. It's your choice which one you put it into :D

As for the soldiers, Highwire's support radio calls some in but there are some guys dotted around the map which I believe should follow you if asked (but I'm not sure) You can also get soldiers in the main base by finding a toolbox and fixing the radio on the counter in the lobby.

Thanks again for the kind words - hopefully our future stuff will match your expectations :D

User is offline   Rhaisher 

James, I'd like to let you know some issues I've experienced.

Last night I was playing the Millhaven level, and when Rusty get his "Machine Gun" (The weapon under number 4) he seems unable to use the "Quick Kick", or in my case using the combat knife. I think that it's because of the alternate fire of the machine gun that makes you stab the knife. Although I was able to use it once, so I'm not 100% sure about this. And another issue I've experienced is that I can't push rocks, right now I'm in Providence (I used the cog this time, hehe) and I'm trying to save Lilith, but James can't push rocks, you're supossed to kick them with the quick kick, right? I don't know if it's just me. Oh, by the way, when I press the "open" key next to a car a message appears saying that they're to heavy to pick up, but that you could do another thing with them. They can also be pushed, right? But I can't and don't know why..., I'm gonna kill the boss in Providence using only the stalactites.

I laughed a lot when I get all the evidence and then unlock the "We got all the evidence" achievement with Horatio Kane face, hahaha!

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah I've noticed that bug with the bayonett; if you shoot the normal fire afterwards you can kick again. I'm looking into it :D In providence you are supposed to kick them, there was a bug where if you shot them they wouldn't work so again I'll see if my fix didn't work.

As for the car thing, if the character you're playing as says "it's too heavy to pick up, but..." than trying using the steroid replacement and doing it again to see what happens :D

• Honored Donor

I was just wondering, I couldn't find this anywhere: which year is the AMC TC set in?

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options