• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Reloaded abandoned?  "An interesting facebook post."

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 23 September 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

To me it's clear man.
Gearbox is most likely going to sell this bitch and Fresh and his team are getting a percentage out of the sales.
Fresh can pretty much start buying those expensive cars that he always wanted if this game looks as good as yatta said it looks.

Eh, that's not realistic. If Gearbox doesn't have to pay they won't. What I see is a team of nobodies, working on their own time for free, managed to one-up them by making something PC gamers might actually embrace over any potential future Duke Nukem retail games developed by Gearbox. Before we were told a release may come after the DNF DLC cycle is over. Next it will likely be after Duke Begins (or whatever they're calling it) comes out. Then it will be after the Duke Begins DLC cycle. Their situation is far more demoralizing than any Black Mesa mod.

View PostMad Max RW, on 23 September 2011 - 05:42 PM, said:

Eh, that's not realistic. If Gearbox doesn't have to pay they won't. What I see is a team of nobodies, working on their own time for free, managed to one-up them by making something PC gamers might actually embrace over any potential future Duke Nukem retail games developed by Gearbox. Before we were told a release may come after the DNF DLC cycle is over. Next it will likely be after Duke Begins (or whatever they're calling it) comes out. Then it will be after the Duke Begins DLC cycle. Their situation is far more demoralizing than any Black Mesa mod.

I am not sure if Fresh knows it at this time or he isn't sure of it but I am willing to make a bet that we will see this project sold by gearbox very soon!

The way I see it, there are 2 possible outcomes.

1.This game gets sold by gearbox !
2.This game will burn with no flames and with nobody to see it burn!

I refuse to accept that all Duke games are cursed to never be released on time or to get canceled.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 23 September 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

I am not sure if Fresh knows it at this time or he isn't sure of it but I am willing to make a bet that we will see this project sold by gearbox very soon!

Don't count on that. :( :(

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 23 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View Postfresch, on 23 September 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

To quote my answer on a message on Facebook:

"We are around 90% finished with the current Multiplayer version - But you have to remember, that we don't own the game.
Its done under a signed license with Gearbox Software.
Which ultimately means, that we cannot do whatever we want with the project.

Its not really up to us. We have had a long conversation with Gearbox about this matter.
And the fact is, that we are bound by a license. A license of an IP owned by Gearbox Software. And we can't do much about it.."

I'm confused. Is it this...^^^

View Postfresch, on 23 September 2011 - 04:59 PM, said:

Let me just re-clarify the situation -

The decision to put Duke Nukem Reloaded on hold was OUR decision, due to the current circumstances.

Not the decision of Gearbox Software.
...or is it that? Or both? And under what circumstances?
Must be a very good reason other than what we know from this post to put this project on hold IMHO.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

It'd be interesting to see the other game that they are going to conjure, as they so mentioned. Anyway, they could compile a stable demo, make it completely open source, and then pass it on to somebody to get "leaked." Although I think that fresch is too responsible for that, which in this case may be a good thing :(

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

View PostVinsaneOne, on 23 September 2011 - 05:48 PM, said:

Must be a very good reason other than what we know from this post to put this project on hold IMHO.

Both - Its not up to us, whether we want to release the game, show screenshots etc.
We signed a license with Gearbox.

It was our decision to put the development on hold, due to the nature of that license.

View PostVinsaneOne, on 23 September 2011 - 05:48 PM, said:

I love how you found Fresh contradicting himself in 2 separate posts haha.
Good Job!

View Postfresch, on 23 September 2011 - 05:52 PM, said:

Both - Its not up to us, whether we want to release the game, show screenshots etc.

It was our decision to put the development on hold, due to the nature of that license.

Why are you and Fuegestef seemingly posting different views?
You are the guy that denies everything while Fuegerstef is the one that keeps posting as if he wants to tease.
Are you guys sane or did you decide to drive us mad?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

User is offline   ---- 

Where is the contradiction?

It is a free project, so Interceptor can decide to put it on hold or even abandon it (the latter is NOT the case, btw). But since GBX owns the IP they can decide when something of the stuff that is done can be released.

EDIT:
I am not trying to tease ... I say that you should stay tuned for one or two weeks, so that the fans of Reloaded or those who like to see it and don't think it is completely gone. And all I say is in conjunction with Fred.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 23 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

Heh, fuegerstef just got banned at the Gearbox forums for supposedly badmouthing them.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

You guys don't want to work under conditions you don't feel comfortable with?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMad Max RW, on 23 September 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

Heh, fuegerstef just got banned at the Gearbox forums for supposedly badmouthing them.

Yes, I still got an infraction from July where I was defending Gearbox ... in a strong way. :( That added up to a temp-ban.

I just had an e-mail conversation with AdamF of Gearbox. And all is fine.

Game is on hold ... I am on hold. :(

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 23 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I think Gearbox is embarrassed to admit that guys working on a game for almost year made a better game then their 12 year piece of shit called DNF.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 23 September 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

But let's look at the other half of the glass.
Maybe Gearbox decided they don't want this to be released, because they thought it's really shitty and not up to standards to have their name associated with it.
From the little screenshots I saw, to me it just looked like everything was low poly.
However, all the concept art that I've seen was top notch and had some great ideas for weapons and maps.

I was skeptical at first too, but then they had a live stream a while back... i came to it, saw DN3D:R and it kicked ass.

If this truly ends up like it's officially looking from the news and actually dies forever, I will still get something out of it.
I will get experience.
This project would be the first really credible project I've seen getting short-circuited over night like this.
If this project can prove to me that such an ambitious thing can fail just like that, I will actually fine tune my thinking and general perspective of things.
This project has the potential to perfect me and make me even less naive than I am now and make me even more skeptical in general.
From a naivety and skepticism standpoint, I've been considering myself to be almost flawless since a long time now but this project might reserve surprises for me.

I did lose at least a few hours of my life, checking this project from time to time and looking at their media, getting bothered to register at their forums and etc.
Let it be a lesson for me, to never be hopeful of anything in the future.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 September 2011 - 07:12 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

At least we still have eDuke32 and the Polymer HRP which is still being worked on. :(

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

That being said, it seems the only power you've got over GBX with this project is either continue development and finish
it, or put it on hold for as long as needed. Even stop development all together. I can only speculate it being on hold for the
best reason I can think of. That is, you guys have smartened up knowing what you have there, and you want to make some
kind of deal with GBX. Before you hand over the completed game to them, it's on hold until both parties agree on whatever
terms being negotiated. That's the only thing making sense to me.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 23 September 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

If this truly ends up like it's officially looking from the news and actually dies forever, I will still get something out of it.
I will get experience.
This project would be the first really credible project I've seen getting short-circuited over night like this.
If this project can prove to me that such an ambitious thing can fail just like that, I will actually fine tune my thinking and general perspective of things.
This project has the potential to perfect me and make me even less naive than I am now and make me even more skeptical in general.
From a naivety and skepticism standpoint, I've been considering myself to be almost flawless since a long time now but this project might reserve surprises for me.

I did lose at least a few hours of my life, checking this project from time to time and looking at their media, getting bothered to register at their forums and etc.
Let it be a lesson for me, to never be hopeful of anything in the future.

Dude, I've seen so many projects go down the toilet it doesn't even phase me anymore. From promising mods to full blown games. Fallout 3 being canceled when it was 90% done then coming back as a fucking first person shooter from a totally different company finished me off. Few people realize Baldur's Gate 3 was even further along before it too was thrown away forever.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 23 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

View PostMad Max RW, on 23 September 2011 - 07:56 PM, said:

Dude, I've seen so many projects go down the toilet it doesn't even phase me anymore. From promising mods to full blown games. Fallout 3 being canceled when it was 90% done then coming back as a fucking first person shooter from a totally different company finished me off. Few people realize Baldur's Gate 3 was even further along before it too was thrown away forever.

That's why it's better to not know shit about a game, until it's ready to get released...
Like Valve is doing with Hl3\EP3
They know how shit works.
What fans don't know, can't disappoint them..

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMr.Deviance, on 23 September 2011 - 08:25 PM, said:

That's why it's better to not know shit about a game, until it's ready to get released...

You mean like Hard Reset. One minute, we're hearing about it for the first time. The next minute, a demo's out, and the next minute, the whole thing is out. It's a very successful strategy if the game's good (and a cheap way of marketing too.) It would have also worked really well in the case of DNF, since it was already a famous game, all it would have taken was news of its release to get everyone to buy it. But no, Randy had to go on an ego tour to hype it up.

View PostMicky C, on 23 September 2011 - 08:44 PM, said:

You mean like Hard Reset. One minute, we're hearing about it for the first time. The next minute, a demo's out, and the next minute, the whole thing is out. It's a very successful strategy if the game's good (and a cheap way of marketing too.) It would have also worked really well in the case of DNF, since it was already a famous game, all it would have taken was news of its release to get everyone to buy it. But no, Randy had to go on an ego tour to hype it up.

You are only partially right giving that Hard Reset example though.
It did come out of the darkness, true but the devs could not shut their arrogant mouth before releasing it and they hyped it to be this mega awesome 90's game like we haven't seen in ages.
1 minute it was this special unique fps that redefines PC fps games and the next it was just a corny arcade shooter that they used to make at the beginning of the 2000's on an assembly line.
It's not even half as decent as painkiller is...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

User is offline   Jeff 

I'd just call it, the game has been delayed. Some games I know have been delayed for a few months, then they get released. It would be extremely cruel of Gearbox to just can the project and tell those guys, thanks for your efforts.

I don't remember reading in that article that the project has been cancelled.

View PostJeff, on 23 September 2011 - 09:56 PM, said:

Some games I know have been delayed for a few months, then they get released.

Some games i know have been delayed for more than a decade, then they got released. :(

View PostJeff, on 23 September 2011 - 09:56 PM, said:

I don't remember reading in that article that the project has been cancelled.

They are giving donations back and they are starting a new forum...
What does that mean to you?
To me, it means that it's canceled, dead and burned!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTetsuo, on 23 September 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

This is what I said in the "why all the hate" thread
Does anyone now think I'm wrong to dial back my expectations and not jumping on the hype train? :( It's nothing personal things like this just happen with projects like this a lot.

Exactly. Beyond the fact that this is a HUGE project in terms of ambition, it was also coupled with the fact of being licensed and media being lame or scant. I've seen this way too many times, and I can call it way before things ever get down the line. It's a bummer, but I can't say I'm surprised at all.

User is offline   ThePinkus 

Im just curious; if the game is cancelled indefinitely, what happens to all the donations people gave the project? Surely their money didn't go to waste.

*edit* Nevermind just saw Deviance's post two up ^^

This post has been edited by ThePinkus: 23 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

Unfortunately I saw this coming. It's Gearbox. Randy the liar all over this.

I highly doubt it's because of DNF DLCs. They let DNF die pretty fast: delaying the simple patch ages, not releasing it for the consoles, releasing a Mac version without the patch first and you know: no mod tools of course.
The irony is that they promise now with Boredomlands 2 to listen to their fans, just fooling their fans again I think.

I think it's pretty save to say that Duke Nukem:Reloaded is dead at this point for a long time. My guess is: it's too impressive and would put DNF into it's shadows, and hey, it would be FREE available.

My hint for the developers of Duke Nukem:Reloaded: change the name of it, change the look of Duke and release it.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 23 September 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

Some games i know have been delayed for more than a decade, then they got released. :(

Some games get hyped for years and demoed and shown how they'll take advantage of the latest tech on the PC and then at the last minute\year get dumbed down for a console and the PC version gets canned.... then the final product doesn't have the same scope they where promising and runs at a sub-HD resolution :(

*cough* Alan Wake *cough*

View PostTetsuo, on 24 September 2011 - 12:37 AM, said:

*cough* every multiplatform game ever *cough*

Fixed.

Hate to come back and double post, but here's an idea. Why not release a trailer to the public, spread it to as many sites as possible, and get the public to petition Gearbox for a release? Add an email and telephone contact to their offices at the end of the trailer. Fuck the NDA and the license. Why go out with a wimper?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMad Max RW, on 24 September 2011 - 06:01 AM, said:

Hate to come back and double post, but here's an idea. Why not release a trailer to the public, spread it to as many sites as possible, and get the public to petition Gearbox for a release? Add an email and telephone contact to their offices at the end of the trailer. Fuck the NDA and the license. Why go out with a wimper?

Things are still in motion. Maybe not at the surface ... but there are strong streams underwater where you don't see them ... yet.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Continue with the project. If Gearbox doesn't allow it to be released, unfortunately it happens that someone hacked a PC machine that contains the game and released it on torrent sites.

This post has been edited by Fox: 24 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

You know, after you release a multiplayer beta, you'd technically be free to patch it since the game would be fully moddable anyway, you could scale back the game for the sake of showing Gearbox a sort of compromise, then patch it the next day with all the updated assets and such. Anyway, it was a joint decision, so Gearbox isn't totally to blame, but I'm sure they're playing a good role in it, and like it has been said, the game is still in the works, there's just been a hood put on it so we can't see what's going on. Although I'm sure the logistics involved will be revealed soon, with people rallying against Gearbox, that spark has got to set something on fire.

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options