Duke4.net Forums: Sonic Resonator Mod - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sonic Resonator Mod  "Whats old is new again!!"

User is offline   Kyanos 

Posted Image
Posted Image

So this is the Sonic Resonator. Originally conceived and drawn by Chuck Jones in 1994. It was in LameDuke but got scrapped for Duke3D.
Enough history, ;)

I am currently making this into a model and plan on making a small (2-4 map) episode to reintroduce it. I am fairly new with no released work, but I ask for someone with more experience to partner up with me. I am in no particular rush with this project, I feel it needs to be done right.

Anyways here are some screenies of my model so far. And feel free to comment or advise me in any way. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Drek: 11 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Earlier you said you wanted to add it to DukePlus, and since the weapon fills a new niche and looks cool, that sounds good to me. So I could write the code for it. That's the easiest part of the job. :) The hardest part of the job is making the levels, and the medium difficulty part is what you are doing now, the model.

Given my experience of how these things go, you are probably being too ambitious by wanting to make an episode to go with the weapon. Even if a mapper volunteers, there's a good chance they will bail before finishing. Personally, I would go for only a single map to be safer.

User is offline   Kyanos 

WOW just the man I wanted to sign on :)
Everything is very early stage concept and I will humbly take your advice and limit it to one map.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Just a criticism, it looks like you're adding yellow 'tubes' on the top of it, but that's in fact an ejection port.

User is offline   Jblade 

Cool, I'd say it would be better as an extra weapon in DukePlus than a standalone mod :) Chuck Jone's art is amazing, he did artwork for Half-life as well which is just as good as his Duke Nukem work.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 11 August 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

Just a criticism, it looks like you're adding yellow 'tubes' on the top of it, but that's in fact an ejection port.

I was initially thinking that the tubes would move to open up and eject the cartridge. I will definitely be paying much closer attention to this as I move forward, probably scrapping the tubes for flat sliding panels. They would be much easier to work with down the road as I animate HUD models and whatnot.

What does everyone think of the tail fin. I don't mean texture, I mean should I keep it? It's not on the LameDuke sprite.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

You should make it like the Lameduke sprite. The concept art is just a concept art afterall. :)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The 'fin' to me looks like it's some sort of membrane or something that would be somewhat translucent, which would likely be the reason it got scrapped from the sprite.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will scrap it for now. Easy enough to add it on after if I want. It will never be seen in HUD anyways.

Does anyone have ideas on projectiles and alt fire attacks?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I don't know what they intended the attack to be like, but I bet it was similar to what we ended up with with the expander. It should probably just make a horrible sound with no visible projectile that just makes the enemies heads explode or something. :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I posted this a few days ago in the "what are you working on" thread, but maybe you missed it:

It's a sonic weapon,so imo the projectiles should be fast moving, vibrating waves that have a small impact radius. If I were coding it, enemies that got hit would vibrate for a moment (easy to do with small random changes to their tsprite coordinates every frame) with stun on weaker enemies. It would be more of a stream type weapon, like a flamethrower.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

You should make it shoots something like this:

Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFox, on 13 August 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

You should make it shoots something like this:

Yes. We would just need a model of one of those circular sound wave looking thingies :)

For alt-fire perhaps just make the spread wider but less damaging, for dealing with a large group of enemies.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Ya fox that's what I am leaning towards, very faint like with DT's vibe coding giving the most effect.

And TX I would love to see some heads pop! Sounds like some major remodeling of the HRP though. Unless we could switch the enemy MD3's midgame with a hit-by code. Then just animate a few falling headless corpses and some flying eyeballs :)
Any more ideas out there? Before things start moving to fast and taking on a life of their own.

This post has been edited by Drek: 13 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

It's still looking great drek :)

User is offline   Kyanos 

View Postrasmus thorup, on 13 August 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

It's still looking great drek :)

Thanks man. Finally got a nice looking UV map. All that texture is going to change a bit.
Posted Image

User is offline   Kyanos 

So a few people have viewed the UV map.
For anyone trying to make a skin feel free to go ahead, high res artwork is not my thing, and I will gladly use anyone else's BETTER skin.

PS: The UV map is 1024 by 1024 regardless of what size imageshack posts.
If you are serious about doing a good skin send me a message and I will gladly share anything you need.

This post has been edited by Drek: 26 October 2014 - 06:09 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Most research shows that sonic weaponry would probably destroy all forms of tissue and internal organs. Your eardrums would burst, and you'd probably have a heart attack.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

As for as gameplay is concerned, maybe the sonic attack could be made more effective on certain monsters. Sentry drones, for example, would detonate from only one or two hits, because the internal vibration would set off their bomb.

And if you hit the alien queen with it, it works as a vibrator and she likes it...then she starts running toward you. :) But seriously, it could cause her to have a spontaneous abortion (she goes into the laying animation, but then bloody jibs come out instead of a newbeast).

Oh, and maybe the sonic waves could destroy rockets in mid-air.

User is offline   Hank 

Not sure where is mod goes, but this gadget would be perfect also for SST. To pinpoint nests in caves and tunnels, or even pulverize rocks - Just saying. Posted Image

User is offline   Kyanos 

Ya guys there really are lots of possibilities here, in my research I've come across some really interesting stuff. Like weird conspiracies about military experiments with sound waves of very high or low frequencies. Specifically check out "The Philadelphia Experiment"

This post has been edited by Drek: 15 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Attached File  LDWM.ZIP (2.84MB)
Number of downloads: 240

Necro Bump

I actually made this mod. More than just the sonic resonator, I call it the Lame Duke Weapons Mod.

Consider this post a request for Beta testers, I'll probably post this up on Moddb.

User is offline   Lunick 

Wow, changing the Skybox sure gives Hollywood Holocaust a different feel

Posted Image

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostLunick, on 05 November 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

Wow, changing the Skybox sure gives Hollywood Holocaust a different feel

Yeah, I've got a map here where I ripped all the brown city textures from lameduke and drew them over hollywood, it really looks gritty, cool atmosphere. Also I've gone far enough to have some Lameduke monsters working, but they didn't make the cut for this release.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I took screenshots of the few weapons that did change.

The sonic resonator is def'd in over the freezer, shots bouncing soundwaves that explode.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I like the lameduke weapons. The sonic resonator sprite looks like an animal (not necessarily a bad thing). Can you post a video of the new gun in action?

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Oh damn I remember this, looking good. The weapon looks cool though Drek did you draw that yourself?

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 November 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

I like the lameduke weapons. The sonic resonator sprite looks like an animal (not necessarily a bad thing). Can you post a video of the new gun in action?

Thanks, and yeah the gun is a beast, maybe too much so. Here's a short video.

View PostSixty Four, on 06 November 2015 - 12:54 PM, said:

Oh damn I remember this, looking good. The weapon looks cool though Drek did you draw that yourself?

Thanks, and yes I did draw it, well sort of, it's a rendering of the model in the op.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options