• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My new HD intro screens & textures

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTetsuo, on 15 July 2011 - 01:23 AM, said:

Ah, you mean like Duke Nukem Forever.... the world there was like that.... (a Duke Nukem worshipping cult with nuke symbols everywhere... and ridiculous... depending on who you talk to. :()

Duke Nukem 3D is not Duke Nukem Forever, nor should it be. I don't mean to be picking on Lightsource's work, because actually it is one of the more tasteful and well-executed examples of including nuke symbols. But it reminded me of how many gratuitous nuke symbols the HRP already has.

User is offline   Spiker 

Since there was some confusion what should be included and what should not be replaced and it seems noone is eager to upload it I will do it if you post a full package of the stuff that was approved or at least make a list. Later on it could be updated regularly. I don't wan't to make an autonomous decission about what to include but if there won't be any precise response I will. I really like your work but I don't think it really needs it's own thread if there is one already. We can leave it as it is but it's a bit pointless to have 2 threads about exactly the same thing.

In the meantime I see Roma is adding some nice textures, but he is too drunk to actually show them to us :(

its my (and many others') feeling, that adding the symbols just adds the 'duke' flavour to everything, look at the other items/weapons; glock, shotgun, steroids etc... all include the symbol.
Its important to remember that duke nukem has always been a comedy-action genre game and as such globalised branding of our hero merely adds to the satire, just like in dnf.
its my personal belief that the guys a 3drealms would have added more if only the pixels would have allowed...
its all just a bit of fun.
Of course its down to personal choice; so if you dont like it, either dont use it or edit it out.
Remember this is not an official hrp release but fan art and as-such these artists can put whatever they like into their skins and it cannot be difined as 'wrong'.

@lightsource
also on another tangent, there is a slight problem with the new shotshell ammo box. the lid is backwards and inside-out and the 'bottom' of the shell does not line up true and is also backwards.
just fyi

User is offline   Hank 

View Postosjclatchford, on 15 July 2011 - 03:08 AM, said:

Its important to remember that duke nukem has always been a comedy-action genre game and as such globalised branding of our hero merely adds to the satire, just like in dnf.

There I disagree. Duke Nukem 3D was supposed to be a 'realistic' game, with a 'real' character. DNF is over the top, in the Duke character development IMO. Sure one can emulate it.
Still, I thought the HRP is developed for modders. Usually, a modder wants enough resources to make a new game. Anything with the nuke logo would need to be replaced, to make a new game. Just saying.

oh well, each to his own I guess...

anyaway, I just got busy with lightsources shotshell ammo box; fixed the probs mentioned above.

lightsource shotshells tweak
pack of four skins for the 0049_shotgunammo model and my spent shell sprite thrown in for good measure!

The lid is now the right way round, I've added ribbed texture to the shell and also replaced ass-end of the cartridge with a new texture. (its good to have spent shotshells around the house!)
Before you mention, yeah I know, the purcussion cap has been struck and its supposed to be a fresh shell but I've not been hunting for ages and I've run out of new shells at the minute...
The zip also includes a version without 'excessive' dukage on the shells! and also versions without the striped lid (that bugged me for some reason)

anyhow, enough blabber, see them in-game; here

enjoy...or not...
regards
Latchford

This post has been edited by osjclatchford: 15 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

View Postosjclatchford, on 15 July 2011 - 03:08 AM, said:

also on another tangent, there is a slight problem with the new shotshell ammo box. the lid is backwards and inside-out and the 'bottom' of the shell does not line up true and is also backwards.
just fyi

I think it must be a problem in your game, because the placement of the objects in the texture ( lid, flap, sides and front ) is exactly in the same place as in the original... I only changed the contents of the texture with the new details... I tested your edited texture and it is inside-out... the bottom of the lid is at the top.

View PostSpiker, on 15 July 2011 - 03:06 AM, said:

I really like your work but I don't think it really needs it's own thread if there is one already. We can leave it as it is but it's a bit pointless to have 2 threads about exactly the same thing.

Well I did this thread because a lot of things that I post are rather experimental, to change or modify textures and details around to my liking and see if some good idea comes from that... so I didn't want to spam the "art assets thread" with my stuff. I'll start posting things around there... although I would like to keep this thread to post some ideas and things like that.

View PostDeeperThought, on 15 July 2011 - 01:09 AM, said:

Lightsource has done some stellar work featured in this thread which I hope makes its way to the official HRP soon. I'm especially looking forward to trying out the new fire (is that finished, by the way?)

Ironically it's taking forever to finish... I'll have it done by tomorrow. Although I can't seem to find the last fire animation in the HRP zip file to use as a guide for the png size.

I'm taking about this animation from the old DN3d...there should be a 15 frame animation sequence.

Posted Image

I'll also try to restrain from adding a nuke symbol everywere in future updates.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Actually, I think Lightsource deserves his own thread. The HRP is chiefly reserved for faithful reproductions of the original artwork, not all of Lightsource's work falls into that. Some of them are his own versions of things. About the floor flame, I think that generally the HRP does a tile 2 to 4 times larger than the original, but I haven't contributed in years so I can't quite remember.

User is offline   Besli 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 15 July 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

Actually, I think Lightsource deserves his own thread. The HRP is chiefly reserved for faithful reproductions of the original artwork, not all of Lightsource's work falls into that. Some of them are his own versions of things. About the floor flame, I think that generally the HRP does a tile 2 to 4 times larger than the original, but I haven't contributed in years so I can't quite remember.

Yes, I think so too. I really liked the original style of Duke Nukem 3D.
But I also like the style of Lightsource's work.
Lightsource's art has a more modern style, and that new shotgun ammo could go directly into DNF, I think. :(
Keep up that great work Lightsource!

Oh, can I make another request?
Can you make the shotgunshell (tile #2535) without the nuke logo, and without any text. Just a plain red one?
Tank you! :(

...I think it must be a problem in your game, because the placement of the objects in the texture ( lid, flap, sides and front ) is exactly in the same place as in the original... I only changed the contents of the texture with the new details... I tested your edited texture and it is inside-out... the bottom of the lid is at the top...

sorry, seems I must be running out of date models... nevermind...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on 15 July 2011 - 04:16 AM, said:

There I disagree. Duke Nukem 3D was supposed to be a 'realistic' game, with a 'real' character. DNF is over the top, in the Duke character development IMO. Sure one can emulate it.
Still, I thought the HRP is developed for modders. Usually, a modder wants enough resources to make a new game. Anything with the nuke logo would need to be replaced, to make a new game. Just saying.

Yeah, IMO in Duke 3D and beforehand, Duke was just some random guy who goes around saving the world, but doing it with attitude.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 15 July 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

You're half right. Originally, all the HRP tiles were supposed to be exactly 4 times bigger than the original tiles, of course there were exceptions, namely when there was small legible text involved (e.g the viewscreen) or when a certain tile looked particularly pixellated and needed a higher res to look good.

However more recently, people have been adding HRP artwork that is over the original 4x size, and I think this should continue to happen. It's always best to make a texture as large as possible, than see how small it can be made without losing any important detail, and sometimes this means keeping the texture large. This movement generally started when all the textures were being remade for polymer, which is a good thing as it keeps it all consistent.

User is offline   Besli 

Did someone notice that the top of the steroid bottle (texture) has a nuke logo on it, too? :(

What do you guys think of this different version of the intro screen?... I used the old logo in good quality and basically animated frame by frame to have the movement close to the original.

Quality is not the best at the moment... colors are not right also, just a sample video.

User is offline   Hank 

You do exceptional good work. Can one make requests, in this case two custom tiles for one map?

User is offline   Besli 

View PostLightsource, on 17 July 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

What do you guys think of this different version of the intro screen?... I used the old logo in good quality and basically animated frame by frame to have the movement close to the original.

Quality is not the best at the moment... colors are not right also, just a sample video.

Wow, that's excellent work!! :(

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

http://www.ebay.com/...=item61cc95faa6

Someone's selling your work.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options