Duke4.net Forums: My new HD intro screens & textures - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My new HD intro screens & textures

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice work. And I second the suggestion of trying the fire.

I don't mind to give those flames a shot... but I would need the original sprite animations. I've been searching around but I can't find them.

I did some new muzzle flashes... closer to the originals but with better resolution. I'm not sure if the chaingun cannon needs a little work... in the game the flash is placed correctly in the first cannon and it's a little off in the others.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lightsource: 24 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

User is offline   Besli 

WOW, very nice stuff!

I agree with MusicallyInspired, and think that the HRP should try to keep the original Duke Nukem 3D art style as good as the can.
So Steveeeie's HD title pic would be the better choice for the HRP.

But like I said this art has a great new touch, I especially like the details on Lightsource's new HD Duke!

User is offline   Spiker 

I found out that chaingun muzzleflash (it's position on the screen) is dependent on resolution and screen aspect ratio. So some setting make it look almost perfect and some make it look really off. So curently there is no way to improve it. Another reason to introduce new kind of animation.

User is offline   Spiker 

Lightsource, on 24 June 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

I don't mind to give those flames a shot... but I would need the original sprite animations. I've been searching around but I can't find them.

I attached the fire animations if you ever considered remaking them, I also added the explosion, just in case :)

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  fire.zip (204.39K)
    Number of downloads: 433

I personally think some middle ground between Light Sources and Stevie's pic would look great.

Steveeeie, on 24 June 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

Wow, mine wasn't this popular 0_o

My HD Title Screen

I'm going to be honest, I don't really like this one, the colors are awful, and its way too noisy.

My one criticism, is that the lower half of the image looks far too pale, or off focus.
i.e. the alien duke is standing on.

Duke himself looks perfect however.

This post has been edited by EARTH DEFENCE FORCES: 25 June 2011 - 05:28 AM

Thanks Spiker for the flames I'll see what can I do with the new flames.

Ok new stuff... this one is actually rather experimental, so have that in mind if you guys don't like it.

I just got a GRP viewer and so what I tried to do here is to use the original Octabrain projectiles scale them up to the current resolution, and use some effects, filters and edits in general to see if they could be used in the current resolution. I also added in the sample a frame of the old explosion scaled and edited for the new resolution.

Here's a sample... I left the rar with the files attached.

Posted Image

I tested the projectile in the game, and it doesn't look bad at all.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  octa.rar (2.74MB)
    Number of downloads: 460

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Trivia: From looking at it, I'm pretty sure that the octa-blast is in reality a top-down view of a small pool of gasoline being lighted. The mushroom cloud explosion is also a gasoline explosion.

Captain Awesome, on 25 June 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

Trivia: From looking at it, I'm pretty sure that the octa-blast is in reality a top-down view of a small pool of gasoline being lighted. The mushroom cloud explosion is also a gasoline explosion.

lol yes it is, look at this...

http://www.pond5.com...expl001-hd.html

User is offline   Spiker 

Looking really good!

This post has been edited by Spiker: 25 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Hmm, the ocrabrains attack has a blue outline. Your version of it has a white one. Why is that?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Now that the HRP uses the palmap system, it's a good idea if blue in the original tiles can be kept blue in the HRP. That's because blue will change to different colors depending upon the pal, and in this way maps and mods look more consistent with the 8-bit versions.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Ah ha! Can't believe you found the actual source video 3DR used.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I loved it

So there is no need to re-work it, all you need to do is rip from the video :) Edit: meh, paid service

I searched on the site and also easily found explosion2 source:
http://www.pond5.com...on-mush001.html

These seems familiar to me, however I am not sure:
http://www.pond5.com...ire009a-hd.html
http://www.pond5.com...2057/flame.html

This post has been edited by Fox: 25 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Interesting that the top of the explosion is missing in the video.
The fire in the third link behaves similarly to the unused fire in Duke3D, but I'm not sure.

User is offline   Fox 

I assume they cut the top and botton to fit in Widescreen format

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Lightsource, on 25 June 2011 - 10:32 AM, said:

Thanks Spiker for the flames I'll see what can I do with the new flames.

Ok new stuff... this one is actually rather experimental, so have that in mind if you guys don't like it.

I just got a GRP viewer and so what I tried to do here is to use the original Octabrain projectiles scale them up to the current resolution, and use some effects, filters and edits in general to see if they could be used in the current resolution. I also added in the sample a frame of the old explosion scaled and edited for the new resolution.

Here's a sample... I left the rar with the files attached.

I tested the projectile in the game, and it doesn't look bad at all.

Someone needs to verify this, but I was under the impression that there's a clause in the HRP licence which states that all HRP assets have to be made from scratch, or at least not be upscaled versions of the original tiles with details added to them...

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

That's correct, you have to start from scratch.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Micky C, on 25 June 2011 - 11:59 PM, said:

Someone needs to verify this, but I was under the impression that there's a clause in the HRP licence which states that all HRP assets have to be made from scratch, or at least not be upscaled versions of the original tiles with details added to them...

Party pooper.

Micky C, on 25 June 2011 - 11:59 PM, said:

What? what about the intro pics and logos?... no problem anyway, as I said it was kind of experimental. I'll see what can I do from scratch about this and the flames.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

However, that is just the HRP's license. You can do what you will on your own. There is the slight chance of legal retribution, but it's entirely unlikely, and you'd probably get a C&D before you run into any real trouble.

User is offline   Fox 

Captain Awesome, on 26 June 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

There is the slight chance of legal retribution
You mean remuneration?

Well, it depends of what you call "slight chance". One day you can wake up on your bed in a millionaire say he is gonna give you a money award because you do the best sleeping he ever seen. If we can call that "slight chance", then I guess the same apply to HRP :)

User is offline   Besli 

Lightsource, on 24 June 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

The shrinker sprites very reminds me on the Doom BFG sprites...

This post has been edited by Besli: 27 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

Hi again everyone ...I've been busy with work so sorry for the lack of updates.

I've been working on some new things, and here they are now that I'm happy enough with them.

I did two new explosions ( I wasn't sure which one was the best so I did both ) from two videos with download links. I tried to better utilize the animation size to create a much more bright and fluent explosion animation than the current one. I also tried to keep the explosion similar to the original, editing each video frame and changing a little bit the shape and position of the blast.

Video and file 1

Video and file 2

And also worked on a new Octabrain blast without using the original files

Here's a preview of some of the frames with the original resolution...

Posted Image

I leave the compressed files with the picture sets attached and two animated previews of the explosions with the edited frames in a 256 color gif format.

I'm also working on doing new flames, to see if I can do something more realistic and close to the originals.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: prev.gif
  • Attached Image: prev2.gif

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  ex1.rar (3.04MB)
    Number of downloads: 582
  • Attached File  ex2.rar (2.21MB)
    Number of downloads: 528
  • Attached File  octa_new.rar (3.53MB)
    Number of downloads: 511

This post has been edited by Lightsource: 04 July 2011 - 12:22 AM

That looks really awesome.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 04 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Lightsource, on 04 July 2011 - 12:14 AM, said:

Hi again everyone ...I've been busy with work so sorry for the lack of updates.

I've been working on some new things, and here they are now that I'm happy enough with them.

Holy Shit! This is fucking outstanding, well shall we say I'm very impressed, or what! Downloaded files and worshipping!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I SO WANT THESE!!!

OK I made some fire!!... here's the first one that I have finished, the single flame. I tried my best to make the sequence work in a loop, for what I tested so far it looks good ( I haven't tested it in game ).

Here's a sample...I leave the rar with the files attached.

Posted Image

I hope it's good to use... when I have the other fire sequences done I'll post them.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  fire1.rar (507.25K)
    Number of downloads: 894

User is offline   Spiker 

I've tested your fire. I think it looks better than the old fire and once you remade the other sets it should be included in the HRP. But can post slightly higher resolution version? This one seems a little lowres in game. I will test your other textures later on.

Spiker, on 06 July 2011 - 04:25 AM, said:

I've tested your fire. I think it looks better than the old fire and once you remade the other sets it should be included in the HRP. But can post slightly higher resolution version? This one seems a little lowres in game. I will test your other textures later on.

The size in pixels in exactly the same as before, the problem here is that the colored background that I had to remove in order to make the pic transparent was not a 100% plain color, so you get a lot of jagged edges, and to fix that I used the smudge tool by hand frame by frame. So the image quality is not as clear as it should be. I'm not sure I can do better than that but if I manage to make a better one I'll post it.

For now here's the second fire. ( please check that the file numbers are ok, with all the frames and stuff I may make a mistake)

Here's a sample

Posted Image

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  fire2.rar (2.33MB)
    Number of downloads: 611

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options