Duke4.net Forums: My new HD intro screens & textures - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My new HD intro screens & textures

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I wanted to contribute a little to the Duke Nukem 3d HD mod... so I will be making new textures and images that I think could need some improvement, or whatever I can do to help around here.

The first pic that I have for this post is a remade version of the intro picture with Duke.... what I did here was to re-draw everything from scratch, with a new explosion, textures and details with a good high resolution.... the pic is larger than the original 2493.png ( original is 1152 x 864 this one is 1600 x 1200 ) but it has the same aspect ratio and it can be downsized without deforming.

I tried to keep the same color style, pose and details but adding some new stuff... but my whole idea was to have a new HD pic in representation of the old one, that I think fits the whole concept of the mod better. My original picture is larger than this, it's a whole poster that I uploaded to my DeviantArt account... you can check it out here http://xxlightsource...oster-214495286

Here's the pic

Posted Image

If the image is good to use I can make the next one ( 2492.png ) with the title and the "high resolution pack" text... but changing the background for the explosion and details of this pic.

One last thing for now... a new shotgun shell with some new details... and a new attempt at a muzzle flash for the Chaingun Cannon ( I still have to make the other pics that form the animation )

Posted Image Posted Image

My idea is to re-make all the muzzle flashes of the game, but trying to keep the same style.

This post has been edited by Lightsource: 24 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Hello! Wow! When I find some words, I may post them, right now I'm just looking ... Posted Image

cheers Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 23 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

That's pretty cool, but can you make it widescreen?

This post has been edited by Fox: 23 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

View PostFox, on 23 June 2011 - 05:26 PM, said:

That's pretty cool, but can you make it widescreen?

I thought that for now, the wide screen pics were not going to be used ( I'm the one who did the new widescreen pics included in the recent update )... but still I can make this one in widescreen, I'll update in the next post.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Are you saying that first picture is re-drawn from scratch? (your own words)

View PostPlagman, on 23 June 2011 - 06:13 PM, said:

Are you saying that first picture is re-drawn from scratch? (your own words)

yeah I use a digital tablet and Photoshop... there's a some photo-manipulation in the background explosion, and I also use textures adding them with layers; the original photoshop file is 161 Mb and it has 90 layers.

As promised here's a wide-screen version.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lightsource: 24 June 2011 - 06:41 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

Great work.
Always want to ask: is this inscription about adult content really necessary? I think it just spoils the image.

This post has been edited by empy: 23 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

User is offline   Besli 

WOW, that remake looks really good!!
But I don't like the nuclear mushroom/explosion in the background, that much.
Also I think, the "Warning: Adult Content" text should have been moved more downwards.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

How about a Duke Nukem 3D HD separate from the HRP? No 3D models, but the original 2D sprites remade instead? It would be alot of work, but I think it would look awesome judging by what you posted. :)

User is offline   Besli 

If you want to give the background a new try:
http://www.duke4.net...omment.news.222
http://hendricks266....ground_nuke.png

View PostBesli, on 23 June 2011 - 08:20 PM, said:

WOW, that remake looks really good!!
But I don't like the nuclear mushroom/explosion in the background, that much.
Also I think, the "Warning: Adult Content" text should have been moved more downwards.

I tried to keep the explosion similar to the original ( not the xbox live remake that is larger )... as for the warning thingy is exactly in same position as in the first image... I still can lower it if necessary.

NUKEMDAVE said:

How about a Duke Nukem 3D HD separate from the HRP? No 3D models, but the original 2D sprites remade instead? It would be alot of work, but I think it would look awesome judging by what you posted.

That is a cool idea, but it would be a lot, A LOT of work, especially in all the animated frames of the characters.

Anyway here's two new pics that I just finished working on. A new 3281 ( nuke logo ) much closer to the original... I used the original image as a base, and copied the colors and basic scheme...the light rays are almost in the same position than in the original. It's done in both full and wide screen.

FULL
Posted Image
WIDE
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lightsource: 24 June 2011 - 06:42 AM

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 23 June 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

How about a Duke Nukem 3D HD separate from the HRP? No 3D models, but the original 2D sprites remade instead? It would be alot of work, but I think it would look awesome judging by what you posted. :)

+1, a man can dream.

Your work is awesome, Lightsource. :P

This post has been edited by Fox Mulder: 23 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Great work, Lightsource. I gotta say, though, the only things I find wrong with them from my point of view (and I'm no artist) is that it all looks a little burned out and over-contrasted. Too much red going on. As well as being super grainy or "bump-mappy". It almost feels like it's trying too hard to sell itself for quality and detail. Something a little more subtle would be more welcome, I'd think. Thanks for contributing your talent, though!

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

I love it. Think they're great. Hope you want to do more in the future. I know the expansion packs still have quite a few miscellaneous textures missing, and I imagine the full HRP is missing at least some content.

User is offline   m210® 

I think it's a great idea :P

User is offline   Kyphros 

View PostLightsource, on 23 June 2011 - 07:07 PM, said:

the original photoshop file is 161 Mb and it has 90 layers.

I never ever used more than 20 layers. This number scares me. :)

Anyway, great work. That's 2 wallpapers for me. :P

User is offline   Besli 

View PostLightsource, on 23 June 2011 - 08:55 PM, said:

Anyway here's two new pics that I just finished working on. A new 3281 ( nuke logo ) much closer to the original... I used the original image as a base, and copied the colors and basic scheme...the light rays are almost in the same position than in the original. It's done in both full and wide screen.

Wow, that's really good! You have an interesting new art style.

About the Warning text, take a look on the original title screen:
http://www.vgmpf.com...DOS_-_Title.png

View PostBesli, on 24 June 2011 - 06:14 AM, said:

Wow, that's really good! You have an interesting new art style.

About the Warning text, take a look on the original title screen:
http://www.vgmpf.com...DOS_-_Title.png

Thanks I saw your post in the new art section, so I gave it a shot. Also the images have been updated with the warning text in a lower position.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 June 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

Great work, Lightsource. I gotta say, though, the only things I find wrong with them from my point of view (and I'm no artist) is that it all looks a little burned out and over-contrasted. Too much red going on. As well as being super grainy or "bump-mappy". It almost feels like it's trying too hard to sell itself for quality and detail. Something a little more subtle would be more welcome, I'd think. Thanks for contributing your talent, though!

Yeah I know about the pics being grainy, usually is a personal taste to make them with red tones and grainy details... although sometimes I overdo it. I updated the pics with a little less noise, and some different details in the nuke logo pics.

I think I'd take that over the HRP, to be honest.

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostTrikeen, on 24 June 2011 - 07:54 AM, said:

I think I'd take that over the HRP, to be honest.

But noone will do it so you don't have to worry about that.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

Wow, mine wasn't this popular 0_o

My HD Title Screen

I'm going to be honest, I don't really like this one, the colors are awful, and its way too noisy.

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 24 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I also prefer the one from Steveeeie. It's much clearer and IMO closer to the original.This one is too dark.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

That's some gorgeous artwork by itself, but I think that the HRP should stay reasonably close to the original artistic direction. +1 for the idea of redoing the muzzle flashes, since you have some 1337 sk1ll with that kind of stuff.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHelixhorned, on 24 June 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

That's some gorgeous artwork by itself, but I think that the HRP should stay reasonably close to the original artistic direction. +1 for the idea of redoing the muzzle flashes, since you have some 1337 sk1ll with that kind of stuff.

Excellent way to put it. It's fantastic on its own, but it needs to be more subtle for the HRP. I also prefer Steeeevie's pic. But both are great pieces.

View PostSteveeeie, on 24 June 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

Wow, mine wasn't this popular 0_o

My HD Title Screen

I'm going to be honest, I don't really like this one, the colors are awful, and its way too noisy.

Well I don't mind criticism at all although I do believe there's a "nicer" way to say things. Anyway this is something that I did for myself and decided to post it here, the one used in the mod right now is actually yours, and it doesn't mean that is going, or needs, to be changed.

One small thing that I did. It's just a simple edit but I think the picture looks a little more "watery" like this.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

User is offline   Spiker 

Looking good! If you would like to make some more contributions for HRP this would be very much appreciated :)

This is really good.

Here's some other stuff that I did. I noticed that some graphics had some ragged edges or details with too much noise, so I edited some... and added other details in some others. The shrink ray flash is done using the original sprite, but with new details.

The files are in the attached Zip, here's a sample pic.

Posted Image

PD: If someone can help me find the original Octabrain projectile, I wanted to see If I could do something new with that.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

If you want to be a real hero, you could redo the fire animations. The HRP ones are a lot better than they used to be, but they still don't look like real fire. The original sprites at least did look like fire, just low res fire.

This guy is gonna make his own new HRP :)

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options