• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

User Reviews

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostTea Monster, on 02 July 2011 - 05:48 AM, said:

There's nothing I can do for you now baby' and shoot them feels very very wrong.

It's supposed to feel wrong. See my reply here: http://forums.duke4....dpost__p__98117

Why can't the President look you in the eye, even though he's screaming at you?

Indeed: http://cloud.steampo...8A7AF006DAFB4E/

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 02 July 2011 - 07:23 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Jeez, is that an un-adulterated screen? Never noticed that bit. I just thought it was odd that no matter where I stood, he always turned away from me.
Oh, and interactivity sucked. It was advertised to have 'Insane' interactivity and it got beat-out by "Dead Rising" to choose a random example.

I wasn't talking about the sexuality with shooting the empregnated babes, I was saying that euthanasia in 8-bit and Next-Gen require different approaches .

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 02 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

User is offline   Betelgeuse 

• Honored Donor

I have played through the game a few times now, it's a great game and i have a lot of fun with it... but that's about all there is to it. It' s no Master piece, that's for sure.

it's like... CoD had a three way with half life and quake. It's got the duke attitude, but where are all those secrets? and secret levels? they sacrificed all weapons and secrets for fast paced action + story telling ... WRONG!
there is not much point in exploring the game really, you get your "ego" points, but they're all right in front of you, it's not actually hard to find anything (except for the companion barrel achievement, which i sincerely admit, had me going in circles to find... and yet... when the door opens and you see whats inside it's like... okay.. i guess i'll take the devastator and (insert second weapon choice here.) there wasn't much joy for me in achieving the companion barrel secret.

They really should have stuck to the "hold all weapons rule" it fits duke, it would have given the level designers opportunity to add more secret spots and/or levels really, which would have been better. (imo)

i wish i had more to say. but i don't.

in saying that. still love the game, it's an all round fun gameplay experience, like Randy says. "IT'S DUKE!" but unfortunately it's not as duke as it SHOULD be. 8/10

This post has been edited by Betelgeuse: 17 July 2011 - 06:08 AM

Ok This game has gotten so many bad reviews/unfair reviews from so many different sources. So whats the main problem? The critics!!

I have played through almost the entire game...I'm at the end. I LOVED it. See the problem is you can't have critics that know nothing about the game review it. It's like a strict FPS player reviewing a racing game. You can't review this game without having played the past Duke games! I myself have played I II and 3D. The game was made for Duke fans, the ones who played 3D back in the day and waited all these years for the game. It wasn't made for CoD players. Yes, I brought up CoD. Reason? Because they are trying to relate this game to CoD and it's not ment to be seen that way. Yes Duke Nukem Forever is a FPS but a different kind than all the other FPS games that are out, this is and old fashoined type FPS and the critics can't see that. Yes, they did add CoD like features but only to modernize the game a little, not to make it be like CoD. The critics are nothing but whiny brats that want it to be more like the FPS's today and be modern and epic...but it's not, and it's not supposed to be. Now that I got all that off my chest, on to my review, as a huge Duke Nukem fan that loves old fashoined games....but a guy who can't spell :(

Duke Nukem....he's back and he's busting aliens again! The game is great, its fun, funny, and Duke shines through.

Graphics
Now here is the part thats been getting a bad score...you know what I say? Who cares! Graphics are not what makes a game good. No these are not wonderful but again, who cares!

Gameplay
I want to go slap the guys who said this game was not exciting and was a boring game. I had a blast. If you notice when reading/watching reviews of this game, when it comes to the gameplay section, they don't say much except that it's boring and not fun....then they repeat that. And repeat it some more. You know that says that somethings not right when all you can say is a few words. Whats more fun: Sitting in a shack aiming at little helmets with a gun that you can't remember the name of, and shooting the bad guys and they crumple. OR Is walking up to a Pig Cop and blowing it's head off more fun? How about shooting at a Lizard trooper till it falls to it's knees then walking over and executing it with your foot? Personally I'd rather do that then shoot at little helmets. The game is fun action packed and full of interesting ways to blow up an alien. The flaws of this part is the Heath....I DO NOT like the Ego meter. I liked it better when you had to run and grab a health pack. There are many times I've died in this game when in 3D all I would of had to do was run to a health pack....in this game your just screwed. That should have stayed the same. Now as far as secrets go, I miss them but not terribly. They wanted to bring Duke into modern times and they must have thought secrets were old school...but truly I don't see a problem with it, it's more of a personal opinion thing.

Story
Critics are whining about the story being bad....Um do any of you remember when a Duke game ever really fully told the story? NO. If you remember you had to go to a section on to menu to read the story. Duke isn't much on story telling, he just wants to blow stuff up. Story is not important in this game, it gives enough for the reason for all the things going on and thats enough.

Duke's Personality
Now every review I've seen of this game spends most of it's time complaining about Duke's personality. How he's so inappropriate and blah blah. You know what? Thats Duke!! It's who he is, they don't like it they can deal with it...stop complaining and play the game. Some say he's not funny, I beg to differ. There are many times his one liners had made me chuckle. Yes, it's cheesy but it's supposed to be! Again you have to know Duke to love Duke, not the other way around. Duke's a rough tough dirty guy and thats why we love him. I see nothing wrong with his personality in this game...its a bit different but not so much that it ruins the game.

Overall
They took the old duke and brought him into the 2011 world. It worked. Duke is still his old self, but a little more into the times. they did a great job adding modern elements into an old fashoined game, but still kept it old fashoined. The game is not a masterpiece, no, but thats how it's supposed to be. Its a fun Duke game that made me enjoy every minute of it. It has it's flaws, like the Health meter, and I don't care for the driving parts of the game, but the flaws don't outweigh the good stuff. Critics are just giving it a hard time because they don't know Duke and expect it to be like all modern FPS games. Coming from a true Duke fan I say it's wonderful. Don't listen to the reviews, if you liked Duke Nukem 3D, and your an old school gamer (or not) go buy this game. Duke is back and we should be glad.

Rating
8 out of 10

User is offline   Sebastian 

View PostSirTownsend, on 18 July 2011 - 03:04 PM, said:

You can't review this game without having played the past Duke games! I myself have played I II and 3D. The game was made for Duke fans

This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If this a game made for Duke fans and Duke fans only, why is it a surprise that people hate on it? I love Duke Nukem 3D (never liked the 2D ones) but I'm not seeing any of that stuff in Duke Nukem Forever at all. It's just a bad game. It ain't the worst and I enjoyed some parts of it but looking at it objectively -- not matter how you twist and turn on it it still remains a freaking terrible game. And I think people are either blinded by the fact that it's Duke, have really low standards or just both.

That's how I see it, at least.

User is offline   Kathy 

Whether the game is good or not, it isn't that much similar to Duke3d except Duke himself and enemies.

Well what I was trying to get at was that it wasn't made for Duke fans ONLY, but was geared more towards them. I'm basically saying that the reviews are not looking at it from the right perspective. Now the reviews I've seen here that are saying the game is bad, are at least fair because its a Duke fan reviewing it...I can see the difference. The big reviews are just unfairly critisized. I for one enjoyed the game a whole lot...I was smiling when I finished it, from satisfaction. I think now a days people expect too much and Duke did not give all that was expected...but enough for someone like be to be happy because I didn't expect a whole lot.

As far as comparison to 3D, no, it was not the same. It did have many elements in it from 3D and some were so small you had to be looking for them but they were there. As I said I think people were expecting a 3D like game and didn't get it so they were disappointed. I knew this was going to be different but accepted it anyway. I think, as far as the Duke fans go, that too much was expected and the game was a disappointment to some. They enjoyed it but were not happy....thats why I never expect too much from something, that way I'll always be satisfied. My opinion is that the game was a great game, simple but great. I'm hoping for another.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSirTownsend, on 20 July 2011 - 09:17 PM, said:

Well what I was trying to get at was that it wasn't made for Duke fans ONLY, but was geared more towards them. I'm basically saying that the reviews are not looking at it from the right perspective.

You can say that about any review in any media. You should be looking from a directors/producers perspective to trully review the movie or from a musicians perspective to review a book. Which is a bullshit. Subjective views are subjective exactly because people have different perspectives.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I find it ironic that what the developers of DNF did to try to make the game appeal to the mainstream public is what made it so bad in the public's eye. Like Sebastian and Helel have stated, Duke Nukem Forever has very little if not nothing of what made Duke 3D so great, to make a game designed for everyone, and then when it gets bad reviews, saying "hold on, it was for the fans" is like spitting in someone's mouth and calling it lemonade.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 21 July 2011 - 03:44 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Pretty much. The game would have only won if they'd made it truly old school.

• Honored Donor

My view is that the game didn't incorporate anything classic or old school. In addition to that, the game didn't have any original, exiting, revolutionary features. In a nutshell, the game didn't have anything old or anything new, which is why it ended up being an average shooter that happened to star Duke Nukem.

I'd even go so far as to say what it did incorporate from Duke 3D, it did poorly. One of my biggest gripes is that stepping on shrunken enemies is incredibly difficult and unpredictable. You're supposed to look down to make it happen automatically, but there have been many times when I've been looking down directly at a shrunken enemy, and I have to wait ages (many seconds in some cases) for Duke to actually step on it. In the meantime I've lost almost all of my health from other enemy fire. The problem is even worse in multiplayer with mini Duke jumping around everywhere.

I loved it! Was it worth a 12 year wait? No, but its still a good game in my eyes. First off, the shooting mechanics are great! Yeah the graphics aren't that great, but in the 90's, Duke 3D didn't have great graphics compared to other games (like Quake). Once I put in the game, I couldn't stop playing. Also, to anyone who wants to buy it, GET IT FOR PC! The loading times are longer on the 360, texture problems, and glitches. PC version is much better if you have a good computer.

• Honored Donor

Let's see you say that after attempting 3 complete playthroughs, with at least one of them on Damn I'm Good. One of my biggest complaints about the core mechanics of the game, is that Duke's shotgun, his primary weapon of choice, has a ridiculously short range. You wouldn't even feel the wind from that thing at a distance of 10 metres.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMicky C, on 29 August 2011 - 10:38 PM, said:

Let's see you say that after attempting 3 complete playthroughs, with at least one of them on Damn I'm Good.

I think the game's shooting mechanics are pretty good and I have completed the game on Insane with the old 2-weapon limit and carrying the gold pistol the whole time.

I'm playing the game with the 4 weapon limit which is much better. Also, I'm checking out the multiplayer finally and I enjoy it. If I'm too give the game a rating it deserves a 8/10. I am hoping for Gearbox to pave a better Duke game with Duke Begins though.

edit: Why do I get thumbs down for sharing my opinion? Never mind.

This post has been edited by Duke_Forever: 22 November 2011 - 04:21 AM

View PostDuke_Forever, on 19 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

I'm playing the game with the 4 weapon limit which is much better. Also, I'm checking out the multiplayer finally and I enjoy it. If I'm too give the game a rating it deserves a 8/10. I am hoping for Gearbox to pave a better Duke game with Duke Begins though.

I think they gave you thumbs down because you said DNF deserves an 8\10.
If you read these forums in depth I think you will realize that an 8\10 for DNF is a little too generous.

User is offline   ---- 

I am not a friend of any scoring system at all.

But if 10/10 would be the perfect Duke Nukem game* and I substract abit for every flaw that game has ... well, then it is obvious that 8/10 means that one has to have very low standards for DNF to have that score.

*) WIthin reasonable standards.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 25 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostDuke_Forever, on 19 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

I gave you a + because your right, you have every right to love the game, some people don't like when others go against the grain. Hating DNF is really popular right now.

User is offline   Kathy 

Not giving a shit about DNF is way more popular.

• Honored Donor

It's not that the game is bad, it's that it's incredibly, incredibly forgetful and very very bland, which is unforgivable given the development time and the hype towards its release. It's kind of like getting promised a super tasty italian hand made pizza, then biting into it and discovering it's magically turned into a stale piece of white bread.

User is offline   Night Wolf 

View PostRipemanewone, on 25 November 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

I gave you a + because your right, you have every right to love the game, some people don't like when others go against the grain. Hating DNF is really popular right now.

It's funny, if you go to the Gearbox forums it's the complete opposite, everyone is completely delusional and loves DNF.
They'll gang up on you if you badmouth the game, for some reason they want this turd to float.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View Postozz, on 25 November 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

It's funny, if you go to the Gearbox forums it's the complete opposite, everyone is completely delusional and loves DNF.
They'll gang up on you if you badmouth the game, for some reason they want this turd to float.

I'm glad this place wised up pretty damn quick. It gives hope to the future of Duke Nukem when there's some intelligent fans left.

User is offline   Night Wolf 

View PostMad Max RW, on 25 November 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

I'm glad this place wised up pretty damn quick. It gives hope to the future of Duke Nukem when there's some intelligent fans left.

Being in Gearbox hands, I am not optimistic, their the ones responsible for changing Duke as we knew him, and giving us Young Douchbag Nukem.

This post has been edited by ozz: 25 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMad Max RW, on 25 November 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

Why? Gearbox knew what the fans wanted and still went the other way, hows that ever going to change? They will end up trying to appeal to the modern casual market because thats where the money is, thats whats companys do, make money. The hardcore fans don't matter a piss to them. Remember all that stuff the night the demo was released? With the mentioning of long time fans and all that, you can kiss that kind of thing goodbye too.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I'm mostly referencing the mod makers who continue expanding Duke 3D and the Build engine. While DNF disappointed the world some of the best stuff came from fans (Eternity, HRP updates, WGRealms 2, True room over room, etc.). Even before the new game was in stores I said the real fans would rally behind the original. The hell with the few idiots at the GBX forums who blindly praise garbage. The real Duke Nukem community should see DNF's failure as encouragement to pick up the torch and carry on.

Anyway, even with Gearbox in charge of the license there's always a chance they'll wise up and do something good with it. It's an extremely slim chance and you have better odds of winning the lottery and buying Duke Nukem from them to make your own game, but it's a chance. However, the console market is likely to crash before Duke Begins or Duke 5 or whatever gets close to release. Don't bet on another high profile sequel any time soon.

Look at Fallout as an example. I've been part of that community since the original came out in 1998. Fallout 2 was rushed but mostly delivered barely a year later. Then nearly a full decade went by and all we got was bullshit like Fallout Tactics and the Brotherhood of Shit Xbox game. Modders kept things alive. When a proper Fallout 3 was finally in development Interplay fired everybody at Black Isle and sold the license to Bethesda. As a fan of the originals, Bethesda's version of Fallout 3 is a pile of green shit. But there was still hope. And surprisingly a small studio called Obsidian, made up of people from the long dead Black Isle, was hired to make Fallout New Vegas and we got a pretty good game in the end.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 25 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostRipemanewone, on 25 November 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

Why? Gearbox knew what the fans wanted and still went the other way, hows that ever going to change? They will end up trying to appeal to the modern casual market because thats where the money is, thats whats companys do, make money. The hardcore fans don't matter a piss to them. Remember all that stuff the night the demo was released? With the mentioning of long time fans and all that, you can kiss that kind of thing goodbye too.

I still think there's hope. Nobody is going to deny that the biggest points of the game that were critisized (by fans and 'professional' reviewers alike) were the incredibly linear levels, and the two weapon system, things that were meant to appeal to the modern casual gamer. Very few of the gameplay features from Duke 3D, if any, were looked apon negatively. The only example I can think of were the shrunken sections, which some people hated, but others absolutely loved, so that hardly counts. You could also say the underwater section was annoying, but they felt the need to screw it up with the air bubbles, so it's hardly the same thing.

Gearbox should at least try to make a game that feels and plays the same as Duke 3D, with as little modern influence as possible. Such a game has never failed (of course it hasn't been made recently either). Who knows, it might be a hit. Worst case scenario? Well, it can't really fail any more than DNF...

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMicky C, on 25 November 2011 - 07:54 PM, said:

I still think there's hope. Nobody is going to deny that the biggest points of the game that were critisized (by fans and 'professional' reviewers alike) were the incredibly linear levels, and the two weapon system, things that were meant to appeal to the modern casual gamer.

Not really. With linear levels and 2 weapon limit game could still be incredibly good. Even with all the hate CoD4+ is having here I doubt many people think DNF even reached its level.

• Honored Donor

I completely disagree. Duke needs all his weapons. It's a matter of options, and replayability. You could want to use the shotgun on pigcops, the devestator on octabrains, the shrinker on commanders, and the freezer on troopers, but it ain't gonna happen if you can only carry two weapons at once. Constant weapon switching distracts from gameplay, can be annoying, and the weapon you want/need might not be around, or you might have traded off not too long ago. It sucks, but apparently gearbox loved it because they made each weapon hold a minute amount of ammo, forcing the player to weapon switch even more! Each weapon needs to hold at least twice as much ammo, and in some cases 10 times as much.

And as for linear levels, in DNF, they must have thought, moving forward in a straight line, moving back again along that straight line, before proceeding forward along that straight line yet again is very non-linear gameplay (cough). That was one of the highway levels where you had to get out for gas. Another example of what they thought was very non-linear was Morning wood, which was basically a corridor with rooms (saloons and such) on either side. Or on the other hand, maybe the caves are less linear? Nope, they were one solid path with the occasional dead end stuck on the side. And lets not forget all the places that look completely enterable but either had blocked walls, or killed you the moment you stepped into them.

How can that possibly be considered 'incredibly good'? Bring back the exploration and weapons, baby!

User is offline   Kathy 

I said that shooter with linear levels can still be good and way better than DNF.

• Honored Donor

If you mean 'a shooter with linear levels' or 'shooters in general with linear levels' then that may be the case, however Duke games should never be as linear as DNF. If Gearbox attempt to make linear levels for the next Duke game, there's a lot more things that can go wrong rather than right.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options