Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 on Win2K? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 on Win2K?

User is offline   Scarbird 

Is there a way to run EDuke32 on Windows 2000? Whenever I execute it, I keep getting this error message:
Posted Image

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Nope, Windows 2000 support was dropped a year or so ago because nobody is really using it anymore. It just seemed pointless to hold back on usage of newer APIs when its usage by gamers as tracked by the Steam hardware/software survey fell to the point where it was lumped in with the 0.13% "other" category. Congratulations on being the first to actually notice we dropped Windows 2000 support and sorry for the inconvenience. We don't support Windows 98/ME or NT4, either.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I remember when support was dropped, it also brought about a small increase in framerate with polymer which was a nice bonus :(

If you want to play eduke32 on windows 2000 or similar, you can find older versions of eduke32 here: http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/ The newer ones are in the synthesis folder, and you'd probably want to get the last version that supported that OS, or close to it.

If your hardware can run Windows 2000 acceptably, it can probably run XP, too, as they have very similar "real world" requirements. I used to be a Windows 2000 fanatic but in all honesty you don't gain much over XP (explorer is slightly faster in 2000) and to be honest you lose a hell of a lot more. XP since SP3 is pretty much rock solid so there's no real reason to use Windows 2000 anymore except for nostalgia.

This post has been edited by trencheel303: 07 February 2011 - 05:26 AM

User is offline   Shawneth 

Between the times of Sept. to Nov. this last year (2010), I was using WIN2K on this very Laptop. It was horrible. No hardware updates, no Internet, no nothing. I had to use my parents laptop to even obtain a copy of XP. Was it worth it? Fuck yeah.
I ran Rayman on that OS!

I'm so into Windows that if it messes me up once, I smash it. Me and my friend Shawn (other Shawn) smashed a Windows 98 CD. It was fun :(.

This post has been edited by oporix: 07 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Did you try older version of Eduke32?
Maybe may work.
Not sure.

I use W7 so no clue about W2k.

I had some C+++ crash issues with Eduke32 until I changed its compatibility.
Fixed it by disabling visual theme and disabling desktop composition.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostZaxtor, on Feb 10 2011, 08:55 AM, said:

Did you try older version of Eduke32?
Maybe may work.
Not sure.

Did you read what TX or anyone else said before posting?

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Yes.

That is why I said I have limited knowledge on W2K cus I never used or tried it.

I had similar issues with another game and I manipulated the game and it endup working.

As for duke was the C+++ crashing thing.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postoporix, on Feb 7 2011, 05:57 PM, said:

I'm so into Windows that if it messes me up once, I smash it. Me and my friend Shawn (other Shawn) smashed a Windows 98 CD. It was fun ;).

Smashing and defacing AOL CDs is more fun.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View Postoporix, on Feb 7 2011, 06:57 PM, said:

I'm so into Windows that if it messes me up once, I smash it. Me and my friend Shawn (other Shawn) smashed a Windows 98 CD. It was fun :P.

Awe, that OS still ran the old Dos games. I still have a machine that runs '95 &'98 just for that. Been years since I fired that thing up!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Feb 10 2011, 09:00 PM, said:

Oh yea! I remember them. What a waste of plastic if you didn't use 'em for coasters!

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Feb 10 2011, 09:00 PM, said:

Ha! I still have some of those.

Anyway I think Win2k is a great OS, I think Windows operating systems started going down hill after Win2k, that's just my opinion though. I think Microsoft put too much effort into aesthetics rather than compatibility and stability. Windows XP was a good balance of it though, which started the downward spiral. As I said this is all biased, the argument always is because we use operating systems based on the things we want to do with them. For me, if Linux and Windows could just merge, I'd always use that merged OS no matter what, it'd be perfect for me.

As for the virus debate, all you need is common sense. I haven't gotten a virus in six years without any virus protection.

Anyway I've gotten off topic here and I've already made my point about operating systems.

View PostSpirrwell, on Mar 8 2011, 03:31 PM, said:

Ha! I still have some of those.

Anyway I think Win2k is a great OS, I think Windows operating systems started going down hill after Win2k, that's just my opinion though. I think Microsoft put too much effort into aesthetics rather than compatibility and stability. Windows XP was a good balance of it though, which started the downward spiral. As I said this is all biased, the argument always is because we use operating systems based on the things we want to do with them. For me, if Linux and Windows could just merge, I'd always use that merged OS no matter what, it'd be perfect for me.

As for the virus debate, all you need is common sense. I haven't gotten a virus in six years without any virus protection.

Anyway I've gotten off topic here and I've already made my point about operating systems.

Windows 7 looked promising when i first tried the beta.
I was relieved that it doesn't feel like Vista.
Damn, Vista sucked.

• tile 1018

View Postthemaniacboy, on Mar 12 2011, 12:29 PM, said:

Windows 7 looked promising when i first tried the beta.
I was relieved that it doesn't feel like Vista.
Damn, Vista sucked.

I prefer Vista over 7, but I prefer XP x64 over Vista and 7. Now Windows Vista and 7 are almost the same with some minor differences.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

You prefer Vista over 7? Okay, I'll admit I thought you were kind of odd before but now you sound like a crackhead. :P

XP all the way baby!

Well, till eduke32 forces me to go to Win7. :P

User is offline   Hank 

View PostThe Commander, on Mar 14 2011, 01:04 PM, said:

XP all the way baby!

Well, till eduke32 forces me to go to Win7. :P

How does Eduke32 force anyone to use Windows anything? It's for Linux, Mac and Windows. Quite an accomplishment, methinks. XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, those are the peeps forcing the issue, as they did with Win2K, methinks again. :D

User is offline   E.C.S 

View PostHank, on Mar 14 2011, 07:04 PM, said:

How does Eduke32 force anyone to use Windows anything? It's for Linux, Mac and Windows. Quite an accomplishment, methinks. XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, those are the peeps forcing the issue, as they did with Win2K, methinks again. :P

Actually Windows XP SP3 is still supported, I don't remember where I read that, but I think is still supported by Microsoft.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostE.C.S, on Mar 14 2011, 11:38 PM, said:

Actually Windows XP SP3 is still supported, I don't remember where I read that, but I think is still supported by Microsoft.

Until 2014-04.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostLeoD, on Mar 14 2011, 06:50 PM, said:

Until 2014-04.

ROTFL - I stand corrected! My old XP stuff runs now on Ubuntu. I did not read the entire article, only the headlines that XP and Vista are no longer supported. Too late. :P

View PostHank, on Mar 15 2011, 11:04 AM, said:

How does Eduke32 force anyone to use Windows anything? It's for Linux, Mac and Windows.

Well, I would never use a Mac, and I suppose I would give Linux a go first before I fully commit to Win7.
But I am still good till 2014 it seems. ;) (Then we will have another Win OS by then.)

This post has been edited by The Commander: 15 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

• tile 1018

View PostTX, on Mar 14 2011, 01:02 PM, said:

You prefer Vista over 7? Okay, I'll admit I thought you were kind of odd before but now you sound like a crackhead. ;)

Oh thank you. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm autistic. Anyway, at first I hated Vista just like everybody else, but with all of the latest updates I like Vista more, although it does work worse on certain systems than others. Lately I've been going to XP and Linux. I don't like any OS, but I can deal with XP and Linux better than other operating systems.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Do you have any actual reasons for liking Vista specifically rather than 7?

• tile 1018

View PostHendricks266, on Mar 16 2011, 07:15 PM, said:

Do you have any actual reasons for liking Vista specifically rather than 7?

I like the Windows Vista style, (yes I know Windows 7's style can be altered, but I'd rather not go through all the trouble) it's cheaper, (I was able to get two pre-owned Vista Ultimates for $40 total (64 bit and 32 bit)) I've had less problems with Windows Vista with all the latest updates than Windows 7, (yeah go ahead and laugh that irony), and for some reason Windows Vista doesn't feel as bulky as Windows 7.

The aren't the best reasons, but even the littlest of inconveniences bother me hence the fact I'm autistic.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options