• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Jmoc 

View PostDzierzan, on 12 October 2021 - 11:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

No, no, no, it's not based on. I made my own from scratch where the main difference is better sides.

Now, real talk, how do I voxelize this prop:

Posted Image

I was thinking about removing the glass dome and leaving obviously the Earth. Any objections?

I would replace the glass with a thin wireframe sphere. Or better, let Earth be represented as an hologram. But if I recall correctly, the glass in the original could be damaged...

User is offline   Dzierzan 

None of that will work. Define "thin" cause it will always cover the Earth inside. And no, it cannot be damaged as no such sprite exits.

And voxels can be transparent in Build, in Polymost renderer. In theory you could have transparent dome, but that means having two voxels placed on the same spot. I tested that once in Blood and it works... only in Polymost renderer and if you of course place two seperate objects.

Anyway, I'll remove the glass dome. The sacrifise must be made.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

The polymost-only transparent dome could work for official maps at least, and domeless for user maps.

No, you cannot have both transparent and non transparent voxels within ONE model. If the dome is transparent, so is the base and Earth inside.

I will make both versions.

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello all. I still read the forum from time to time, always amazed by the very nice work posted on this topic, and on others of course.
I wonder, for the earth under the dome, if it could be possible to to just add the white reflections, and possibly a bit of jagged white lining at the junction of the dome and the grey part, to just suggest it's a glass dome ? Like the window sprite. IIRC, it's just white reflections on this sprite.
It's just an idea, I don't know what it would look like.

This post has been edited by DotK3D: 13 October 2021 - 10:11 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostDzierzan, on 13 October 2021 - 04:00 AM, said:

None of that will work. Define "thin" cause it will always cover the Earth inside. And no, it cannot be damaged as no such sprite exits.

And voxels can be transparent in Build, in Polymost renderer. In theory you could have transparent dome, but that means having two voxels placed on the same spot. I tested that once in Blood and it works... only in Polymost renderer and if you of course place two seperate objects.

Anyway, I'll remove the glass dome. The sacrifise must be made.

This makes me ponder if it would be possible to implement multi-voxel models in DEF. Like, specify two voxels for one sprite, and set attributes like transparency for each one.

Wowow these KICK ASS!! i had to sign up just to give some appreciation for all u modders hard work!!

So..... as I wrote, I made two versions and I am pull requesting both on github. Up to you people which one you wanna use:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   0815Jack 

maybe its too late for suggestions, but what about a partially open dome?

something like this https://www.pinteres...72850833635536/ but less complex...... sorry couldn't find anything better right now...

otherwise I would opt for the without dome version....

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I'd choose the visible Earth. It makes more sense in the original context, and I wouldn't expect it to look displaced in user maps either.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Github updated. Regarding #542, the version with visible Earth globe is loaded by default. Definition for the alternate version is available in props.def.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 October 2021 - 10:10 PM

Some kind of lights, apparently only used here.

Posted Image

User is offline   jkas789 

Looks like a laser or electrical current is coming out of them.

• The Truth is in here

#658/659 added on Github.

View PostDzierzan, on 18 October 2021 - 03:41 AM, said:

Some kind of lights, apparently only used here.

Posted Image

Is it a game map? I've always wondered where that thing is used.

• The Truth is in here

Used in E4L11 "Area 51" on the conveyor belt before entering the teleporter to the alien spacecraft. See this video around time index 14:47.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 October 2021 - 01:07 AM

All sushi plates:

Posted Image

So... here's another glassed object, some kind of alien or fetus.

Posted Image Posted Image

It's not really possible to voxelize it... so I am willing to remove the fetus. Any objections?

• The Truth is in here

Well, that's going to suck in L.A. Rumble since there's that alien abortion clinic there, and with that detail on the voxel missing, it's kinda taking away quite a bit from that scene. It was possible to get around the problem with that Earth dome, but not quite so here.

It might look like shit, but in this case I'd rather opt for putting the fetus as a skin on the outside of the jar. That or actually not voxelizing this at all.

As sad as it is: Not every single sprite in the game should or needs to be turned into a voxel at all costs if it can't replicate the character of the original.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 October 2021 - 01:07 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

In reality eDuke32 just needs functionality added for multi-voxel defs, supporting transparency.

I say go ahead and just make the empty jar, you would have to do that anyway if such functionality was added.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 20 October 2021 - 01:08 PM

• The Truth is in here

Well, if there's any time for a feature request, guess it's now. Without any doubt there'll be more cases where this particular issue will lead to discussions.

In general we shouldn't need to talk about which visual feature to sacrifice on a voxel due to technical limitations.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

This is one occasion where I would leave the voxel off by default, at least until we figure out a way to layer multiple voxels together.

Those plate sprites look great btw. I believe the skull used on the plate is used as a gib in ROTT so if there ever is a voxel pack for that game then that's one voxel (just about) already done.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think most of them are edited jibs from ROTT.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I apologize for this being unrelated to the topic at hand, but:

Attached Image: duke0215.png

What's going on here, and why is this only a problem in polymost? In classic this voxel works as intended. The Cinema sign in Hollywood Holocaust does the same thing but the maphack seems to address it fine enough.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 20 October 2021 - 01:41 PM

• The Truth is in here

That E1L2 neon sign looks more like a rendering problem in Polymost. If it looks fine in Classic, it shouldn't change when switching the renderer. Anyway, I guess we can flip one of the two neon sides (probably sprite #373 since that's the one you don't see right away) if there's no other solution. Doesn't look too nice from one side, but at least the sign is legible, then.

E1L2 maphacks updated and Sushi plates added on Github.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 October 2021 - 09:50 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Are the eduke devs aware of the problem? The ideal solution would be to fix polymost so that it renders the same way as classic.

• The Truth is in here

Can't find any related issue here. Maybe someone with an account can create one for this, then?

Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Added on Github.

(Note: These camera/movie rolls are often used in different ways in user maps, e.g. for stoves, so they won't look right there and would need maphacks to deactivate them.)

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options