• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 03 July 2019 - 04:31 AM, said:

Awesome! I think we are now only missing the Atomic Health from all the pickups, then they are all done. Never thought I would live to see that day.

Life is full of surprises! :D I'm happy too that this milestone was reached.

Atomic Health - I hoped for divine intervention of EDuke32 gods that would crush hardship of hardcoded pivots. But "game-that-has-no-new-name" probably drains all their godly power & time for foreseeable future. I will see If I can manage to adjust pivots for all frames. There were some improvements in Goxel KVX export, this might be a game changer for these kind of stuff.

There are few more simpler things that I hope to be part of next Voxel Pack update. I.e. two alien switches. After that I will take a break for a while :)

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

You certainly deserve it, man. Your creative output is rare, insane and beautiful at the same time. This project has made more progress in 2019 so far than
it did since several years.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 July 2019 - 10:06 AM

User is offline   Borion 

I’m humbled...thanks, Nightfright!

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

My only comment on the shrinker/expander voxels: shouldn't the red-band across the expander-weapon pickup be straight? Not loose and stringy? I know the weapon pickup is never used in game, I'm just thinking for accuracy's sake.

This post has been edited by Gaydar: 04 July 2019 - 07:13 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Shrinker/expander pick-up:

I agree on the expander string. It shouldn't be so loose, and maybe not so thick.

you sure about copy pasting the crystal ammo on the shrinker pick-up? It's the case for the expander pick-up, but IMHO it was a lazy edit by 3D Realms and I would priorize being faithful to the shrinker instead.

I think the bottom handler of the gun was supposed to be more circular, instead of just extruding the face. The side handler shouldn't be mirrored on the other side either, and maybe make it longer.

Vacuum cleaner:

It's used on an abortion clinic, that's why it's not like what you see in your home. That must be another fetus looking through the window.

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 July 2019 - 09:43 PM

User is offline   Borion 

Loose string - IMHO it is cable, otherwise why bother connecting those parts. I’ll see if it will look ok straight, I don’t mind being “unorthodox” about this detail :D

Copy pasting crystal ammo is IMHO right, I follow what we can see on FPP view. I don’t think prioritizing very sloppy pickup sprite over FPP view is a good idea. It doesn’t even get perspective right in any way and screws up proportions...

That circular side element IMHO is not side handler, it sure would not be possible to use that weapon handling it like this. Thats why I treated that as a cosmetic symmetrical part that has cables attached to it.

Thanks for feedback.

EDIT: I will post a screen illustrating better those elements, it’s easier than describing them

This post has been edited by Borion: 05 July 2019 - 04:23 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

To clarify, I think the stringy look of the red wire on the ammo pickup is ok. It's only the weapon pickup I think it's an issue on, because right now it isn't accurate to the HUD art.

And I agree with you that you shouldn't model the voxels off of botched perspective. The shrinker art overall is pretty WTF. The weapon pickup is a complete disaster. Even the HUD art has 3 different perspectives.

This post has been edited by Gaydar: 05 July 2019 - 05:18 AM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostGaydar, on 05 July 2019 - 05:04 AM, said:

To clarify, I think the stringy look of the red wire on the ammo pickup is ok. It's only the weapon pickup I think it's an issue on, because right now it isn't accurate to the HUD art.

And I agree with you that you shouldn't model the voxels off of botched perspective. The shrinker art overall is pretty WTF. The weapon pickup is a complete disaster. Even the HUD art has 3 different perspectives.

Yeah, maybe there was a lot of Tequila involved :D It would explain why such seasoned professionals prepared & released sth that inconsistent.

In regard to straight cable, I understood Gaydar. I just think that this string-like representation is part of quick & dirty job on Expander graphics. I prefer more bendy cable on the pickup. But you are right that it is not as faithful as it could/should be, so here is another version:
Posted Image
KVX: https://mega.nz/#!Bu...oxlzN0JV1T2YZuo

Getting back to Fox comment on bottom handle, please take a look at images below buddy. What You took for bottom handle, is sth else (at least in my interpretation).
It should be clear on this lame quick drawing :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Man it is just amazing to see the shrinker profile in flat perspective. Lmao they were smoking crack when they designed the original sprite.

User is offline   Borion 

@Flat perspective - thanks man!

@smoking crack - XD

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I just think of the straight cable as being pulled tight, maybe the two parts of the add-on have those spring-loaded reels like you see in some vacuums, or portable mice.

User is offline   Borion 

@Striker So its good that there is variant with cable pulled tight - to each its own!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Excellent work!

User is offline   Borion 

Thanks BlitZ!

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Would the devestator missiles work as voxels?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The consensus is that a rocket voxel would not look good:

View PostStriker, on 18 April 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

Sprites do pitch with your view, at least in software, and in OpenGL, the sprites are thin enough to not look hideous when shooting up and down. There was a point in history where the HRP rocket didn't pitch with aim, and it looked beyond horrible. Something like this would work better with projectiles that are uniform, like the freeze ray shot.

Also note that the devastator rocket is literally the same tile as the regular rocket, so replacing one with a voxel means replacing both.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I made the RPG a "3D" object with sprites before. The code to do it is actually really simple. You could do the same thing with multiple differently pitched voxel files.

Of course this more enters the realm of a mod than an asset replacement, but it can be done even with current limitations.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

D-D-D-DOUBLE POST

Realized that the Expander and it's ammo erroneously have some fullbright reds, which obviously doesn't look too great in game.

Posted Image

Also here's a shitty bootleg version of the voxel pack. Its just kind of what I've been testing with, it should have all voxels since the last pack was released. However, it's janky as fuck and in no way is it official nor is it supported by anyone, especially me. No new maphacks, no animation fixes, etc etc. This is barebones as it gets. But if you're a lazy wiener like me you might appreciate something like this because I wish someone else had done this. :D

User is offline   Borion 

View PostBlitZ, on 13 July 2019 - 10:07 PM, said:

D-D-D-DOUBLE POST

Realized that the Expander and it's ammo erroneously have some fullbright reds, which obviously doesn't look too great in game.

Also here's a shitty bootleg version of the voxel pack. Its just kind of what I've been testing with, it should have all voxels since the last pack was released. However, it's janky as fuck and in no way is it official nor is it supported by anyone, especially me. No new maphacks, no animation fixes, etc etc. This is barebones as it gets. But if you're a lazy wiener like me you might appreciate something like this because I wish someone else had done this. :D

fullbright reds - thanks for finding and pointing this out, BlitZ! I will fix this soon. This is good occasion to also make some little tweaks to Expander ammo.

Bootleg Voxel Pack - nice! Just don't let the cops get to know you got it stashed.

Getting back to earlier post:

View PostBlitZ, on 13 July 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

I made the RPG a "3D" object with sprites before. The code to do it is actually really simple. You could do the same thing with multiple differently pitched voxel files.

Of course this more enters the realm of a mod than an asset replacement, but it can be done even with current limitations.

So You would need a set of rocket voxel models for full pitch rotation? Would 8 rotations on Y axis suffice, like enemies typical rotation sprite-set?

This post has been edited by Borion: 14 July 2019 - 07:02 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostBorion, on 14 July 2019 - 07:01 AM, said:

fullbright reds - thanks for finding and pointing this out, BlitZ! I will fix this soon. This is good occasion to also make some little tweaks to Expander ammo.

No problem man. I tested a bunch of other stuff and they all appeared to be fine. I hate that in the Duke palette theres an identical color in the red swatch and the fullbright red swatch.

View PostBorion, on 14 July 2019 - 07:01 AM, said:

So You would need a set of rocket voxel models for full pitch rotation? Would 8 rotations on Y axis suffice, like enemies typical rotation sprite-set?

Yes I would say at least 8 to get things to look right. Maybe more like 12 or 16. It just depends on what looks best. When I was testing with sprites 8 was sufficient.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostBlitZ, on 13 July 2019 - 10:07 PM, said:

here's a shitty bootleg version of the voxel pack.[...] I wish someone else had done this. :lol:
Someone did ... :dukecigar:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I must have missed that post, cheers!

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostBlitZ, on 15 July 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

I must have missed that post, cheers!
Nah, you did not. The link is new. I think that, technically, it would make sense to add these few MB of voxels to the HRP repo, since that's where the maphacks are located already. Then on some "gotta fix the internet"-day I put together what I had collected and made a version that would blend in, which I've been updating since then. Therefore it looks a little different, internally.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Borion, sorry for the delay between posts.

The thing on the side is indeed a handler, which was cut from the first person sprite.

Posted Image Posted Image

Edit: This is wrong. The handler is actually in the bottom center of the crystal. Dunno what the other thing is.

I noticed the weapons looks kind squarish, while the original seems more oval. Here's some things I took notice in the sprites:

Posted Image Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 21 July 2019 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I already posted this, but the areas you are focusing on all have botched perspective.

For the sprite, it doesn't even make sense how you can see the top of the shrinker when the main section of the sprite is 90° flat perspective.

For the HUD, I hope you noticed that the tube you outlined in red is a total fail. It's pointed straight forward while the rest of the art is angled. That's not indicative of an oval design, it's just lazy art.

I'm not saying this to kiss Borion's butt. If I thought his work was inaccurate, I would say it. IMO the original art is very inconsistent, and while everything could be improved, Borion's work is already far superior to the original art.

User is offline   Borion 

@Fox - thanks for devoting time to this stuff and detailed illustrations, buddy!

I noticed the weapons looks kind squarish, while the original seems more oval.

I tried to add some roundness in front grilled part and in the back part. I is hard (for me) to make it more round without making it too thin on the side view.
I will look into that and see if I'm able to make it a little bit softer, but I'm afraid this is best I can come up at the moment.

I agree with Gaydars post, not to kiss his butt :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by Borion: 22 July 2019 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'd say that the voxel is very accurate, especially when compared to the Endangered Species "redesign" which is arguably an official design.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostBlitZ, on 22 July 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

I'd say that the voxel is very accurate, especially when compared to the Endangered Species "redesign" which is arguably an official design.

Thanks!

User is offline   Borion 

Work in progress. Frames of shooting still need a lot of work.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Borion: 25 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Sadly I can only upvote. At least I can be the first to upvote it!

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options