Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D Voxel Pack - Duke4.net Forums

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Yeah, but I'm going to have to revisit those for what new voxels there is.

(I think LeoD's maphack pack already have the WT versions of ep1-4 but I may be wrong)

User is offline   Kyanos 

Is anyone attempting the Atomic Health? I have been thinking about it and have a game plan on how to actually accomplish this, but I'll gladly just not XD

User is offline   Borion 

View PostPhotonic, on 11 April 2019 - 03:14 PM, said:

Is anyone attempting the Atomic Health? I have been thinking about it and have a game plan on how to actually accomplish this, but I'll gladly just not XD

Yes, I'm working on it.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostPhredreeke, on 11 April 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

I think LeoD's maphack pack already have the WT versions of ep1-4 but I may be wrong
You're right.
I could move ep5 up on my maphack to-do list. :lol: Access to a current Voxel Pack would be appreciated, though working with the HRP for the time being should give good results, too. First I'd have to actually play through this episode, though.
Spoiler

Here are the maphacks I made for the voxelpack. E5L8 is for the last official version of the map with the unused sections removed.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 14 April 2019 - 11:16 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Wow, so nice to see some people work on this project again. Everything looks really great guys.

View PostBorion, on 07 April 2019 - 09:20 AM, said:

True old-school way. Wow, you have to stitch all together in your head when you work with strips...well, much respect.

Yes, most of the pack was done with that method. There weren't any tools really available when I started except Scotts SriptoVox, slab6 and photoshop. There where were still very little tools when mxrtxn and Dot3d joined the project. You can image how much time was put into modeling and animating the holoduke voxel.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 15 April 2019 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostReaperMan, on 15 April 2019 - 11:19 PM, said:

Wow, so nice to see some people work on this project again. Everything looks really great guys.

Yes, most of the pack was done with that method. There weren't any tools really available when I started except Scotts SriptoVox, slab6 and photoshop. There where were still very little tools when mxrtxn and Dot3d joined the project. You can image how much time was put into modeling and animating the holoduke voxel.

Nice to see you join discussion, ReaperMan! I'm very grateful that you started this voxel project. Thanks for kind words.

Doing that Holoduke model had to be super hard with those tools.

Just to let you know people that Atomic Health is steadily happening, a screenshot from Qubicle. Part of one of electrons from Atomic Health:
Posted Image
Rest of elements - two more electrons, and "core" - are also vip. This is 16 frames model, but I animate each element separately to get clean trajectories.
That makes it 48 voxel frames that need to be drawn separately & after that re-joned. I'm about 30% done. To satisfy all purists :lol:, extra time is put into making sure this model is as close to the original as possible. In frontal view, it should be indistinguishable from original sprite.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 14 May 2019 - 08:29 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

This may be the most complex voxel replacement yet, so good luck with that. You seem to be on a pretty good path right now, so just keep going!

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 16 April 2019 - 05:54 AM, said:

This may be the most complex voxel replacement yet, so good luck with that. You seem to be on a pretty good path right now, so just keep going!

Thanks, I will!

User is offline   Borion 

Some time ago I converted Arcade Neon(1046), but put it aside, because there is a problem with it in E1M1 above elevator entrance. Maybe you know what to do with that.
For some reason original level designer stretched neon sprite to be wider than space that it occupies. It isn't a problem with sprite. Walls clip it properly.
But there is clipping problem with voxel models for walls and floors. See it here:

Posted Image

Besides that clipping problem in that specific circumstances - that could be probably solved with maphack - it has all proper dimentions & animates fine in-game.

Posted Image

KVX: https://mega.nz/#!x6...cYpeU2FaM28GtDU

Lines for props.def:
// Arcade Neon (1046)
voxel "voxels/props/1046_arcadeneon.kvx" { tile 1046 }

This post has been edited by Lunick: 14 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Why does the color depth look crushed? The sprite doesn't have multiple pixel wide regions of solid red.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostHendricks266, on 16 April 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

Why does the color depth look crushed? The sprite doesn't have multiple pixel wide regions of solid red.

EDIT: I checked it for third time, and than I realised I messed up. I forgot to add back details on outer edge of neon tubes. I will correct it tonight/tomorrow and paste link here.
Thanks Hendricks!

It is matter of two things - my poor choice of angle, that causes merging of certain elements in perspective and gif colour reduction.
In frontal view this model is 100%/pixel-perfect recreation of sprite. I tried to put in some dimension to it, by adding some little details behind what is visible from normalised front view. Like little metal supports for neon, that give shadowing variation beneath gas tubes.

It looks in editor like this:
Posted Image

I have to learn how to prepare better in-game demos, after all thats in-game looks that matter most

This post has been edited by Borion: 16 April 2019 - 10:25 AM

User is offline   Borion 

Fixed Arcade Neon:
https://mega.nz/#!5n...uvcWMojpnr5WV7c

User is offline   Borion 

Rubber Can 1062-1063, almost done. I have to solve some palette issue with first frame before sharing it.

Generally both models work fine in-game, IMHO. But would probably need some coding magic.
IDEA: second frame would rotate in direction of shooter. That way we would avoid situations, in which player shooting the can would not face bended side of model. Rotation would need to be quantized to 90 degrees, so we always follow 2 axis of model symmetry..I hope my description makes some sense. Please consider this idea.

I will fix first frame eventually and post finished model(s) tomorrow (hopefully:P).
Shot from editor:
Posted Image

EDIT:
This model also falls into I-tried-to-make-it-pixel-perfect category. I hope you find this interpretation faithful.

EDIT2:
More screenshots. Yes, I really like this rubber bin :lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lunick: 14 May 2019 - 08:26 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Nice!

CON code to make it face the player would do more harm than good, because the top part is not radially symmetrical and it would look weird to spin when hit.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

there could be a way but would be complicated

make it several pieces so if the player kicks it, bump will be toward the player.. and player has to face the sprite it to prevent from all pieces being kicked all at once.

Example you split in 4 pieces.

Front, side, behind, other side.

when the can is smash all the 4 pieces dies at the same time.

Probably would have to involve lotag and vars etc

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 17 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Even ignoring the top, the base still has shading that will give away that it spins. Fortunately these sprites tend to be in corners or along walls so maphacks could take advantage of this to rotate them so that the bump is facing where the player is probably shooting from.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

the other option would be to not rotate it at all - just have it bend in the one spot no matter which side it's kicked / shot from

as mentioned - most of the time these are in a corner or against a wall - leave it up to the mapper to face it "out", & maphacks for the episodes

This post has been edited by Forge: 17 April 2019 - 07:08 PM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostHendricks266, on 17 April 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

CON code to make it face the player would do more harm than good, because the top part is not radially symmetrical and it would look weird to spin when hit.

View PostHendricks266, on 17 April 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

Even ignoring the top, the base still has shading that will give away that it spins.

Hendricks, I tried to considere all of this while making this model and tried to address it. This is why this models is two axis symmetrical, X & Z (a cross, looking from the top).
Texturing/lightning variation on each side of model is just slight - so it's not repetitive - but at the same time it is fine for such animation trick.

There is no problem with rotations, until we do them in 90 degrees. Colours represent four ranges of directions that object can be shot from, and cause appropriate rotation. Angled shots are not a problem with this method.
Posted Image

This is how it looks like on mockup. Just two models. Bend one is being rotated 90 degrees.
Posted Image

Just ideas, don't want to sound like an ass

This post has been edited by Lunick: 14 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

hmmm... I like your idea.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

That looks really good.

User is offline   Borion 

Phredreeke, Radar - thanks!

Palette fixed.
Rubber Can (1062-1063)
Posted Image
Lines for props.def:
// Rubber Can (1062-1063)
voxel "voxels/props/1062_rubbercan.kvx" { tile 1062 }
voxel "voxels/props/1063_rubbercan_bend.kvx" { tile 1063 }

KVX: https://mega.nz/#!hm...dk9WLmoMmsffODo

• Weaponized Autism

You've convinced me.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostHendricks266, on 18 April 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

You've convinced me.

Woohoo, glad to hear that Hendricks!

User is offline   Borion 

Geisha approves.
Posted Image

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostBorion, on 18 April 2019 - 06:37 AM, said:

Phredreeke, Radar - thanks!

Palette fixed.
Rubber Can (1062-1063)
Posted Image
Lines for props.def:
// Rubber Can (1062-1063)
voxel "voxels/props/1062_rubbercan.kvx" { tile 1062 }
voxel "voxels/props/1063_rubbercan_bend.kvx" { tile 1063 }

KVX: https://mega.nz/#!hm...dk9WLmoMmsffODo

This is top professional work.

I am curious about qubicle. Are you using the demo or a paid version?

Is it better than magica voxel?

I ask because I am also working on the voxel pack for Shadow Warrior. Any tool that helps speed things up are more than welcomed.

Thanks for you work and dedication

Mxrtxn

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 18 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I use Magica and VoxelShop
magicaVoxels limits you of 126 per 126 per 126

I might use qubicle

qubicle looks better than MagicaVoxels

Alternatives if you don't plan to pay for qubicle (full version) since is ranging 75 to 175$

There also VoxelShop too, Duke pal can be added in it so the colors don't horrify

I think with VoxelShop (another free one) you can make larger, yes you can.

Cus I used that to fix little errors in models larger than 126 126 126 size.

VoxelShop is little weird but is easy to learn.
I learned how to mostly use all features in under 1 hr
Without reading instructions

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 18 April 2019 - 11:12 PM

User is offline   Borion 

Thanks Mxrtxn!
I got couple of useful things/methods that I’ll be glad to share with You.
At a moment I’m travelling, but will get in touch with you tomorrow.
Have a good day!

User is offline   Borion 

Zaxtor, is Qubicle really that expensive in your country?
Basic version is about 20$ (at least in Europe ), not 75$.

You are right about MagicaVoxel limitation (126x126x126) per matrix, but you can combine multiple such matrixes for bigger models via world editor.
Cheers

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Well from website I checked the price

I must assume is USD

most of these site are from USA

Probably ur version is cheaper

If you're from Uk or others.

Euro and British pound are higher than USD and CAD

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 18 April 2019 - 11:53 PM

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options